Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Mouskavik
Earning My Ears

Airline comparisons for flights

Hello all

I'm brand new here!

We went to Florida in 2002 with friends, pre-kids. We are now going back with kids in Sept 2012.

We're doing same as before - flights, car hire, villa, park tickets, but we are not sure which airline to go for!

We flew Airtours in 2002 and they don't seem to exist any more, so we need some advice.

There are 7 of us going - with Grandparents so we'll be going Economy to keep costs down. Are BA, Virgin, Thomson and Thomas Cook all much of a muchness?

I know Virgin offer stuff and entertainment for kids but I'm not fussed about choosing Virgin for the sake of a pack of crayons and colouring book which I can provide myself. Also, on the reviews I have seen for Virgin, if you get an older plane, you don't seem to get the "all-singing, all-dancing" features they advertise.

I'm leaning towards Thomson due to the leg room, entertainment, night before check-in and the fact they fly to Sanford. We flew to Sanford last time and as it's small we were in and out in no time. Is Orlando huge and time consuming?

Any advice and Thomson reviews much appreciated

Thanks!
Mouskavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Welcome to DISboards

Everyone likes different airlines for different reasons.
Personally I don't like Sanford airport but it was a few years ago now, it might be better.
Only time I have been with BA was MAN to NYC, terrible flight, old plane and ignorant staff, probably no problems if I use them again.

Personally I pick the cheapest, they all get you there and back, I would use any airline or any airport at the right price.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

stay away from American Airlines.
Their planes are older than the hills.

they have new planes on order, but until they finally get them, you should avoid them.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
buddles norfolk uk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Personally I pick the cheapest, they all get you there and back, I would use any airline or any airport at the right price.
Any money saved on getting there is more money towards spending money or food, or your next trip!

Flew with Virgin in 2008, no complaints, but there are others on here with much more experience and much more recent trips so I'll leave it there! Happy planning!

WDW2002, Offsite | WDW2003, Caribbean Beach | WDW2004, Offsite | WDW2008, Pop Century | WDW2013, The saving has begun!

buddles norfolk uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
starrysky
DIS Veteran

We flew with Ba 3 years ago Aberdeen to Gatwick-Heathrow to Orlando now that was a nightmare getting from gatwick to heathrow and worrying that we would miss our connection. Flights were good but we had a couple of issues with Broken TVs and the staff on the return in orlando were so rude.

Last year we went with Aer Lingus from Glasgow to Dublin then onto Orlando. Great flight reasonable ammount of entertainment and food better than most I have been on. Staff lovely and this year we fly with them again but going from Edinburgh. This year we are looking forward to pre clearing emmigration at Dublin (could not do this last year due to the new terminal at dublin)

Virgin we have found have always been far too pricey an option for us and with the BA issues and the price of them now.

We flew into Sanford with the late flyglobespan and while it was a good flight there is no ME from there. We did find it was a great airport nice and small with good duty free and the terminal is not at all hard to navigate.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Cochise
Went last October and this October....nuff said

Flown with US airways, BMI, First Choice and Virgin. Can't say we have had a bad experience yet but the BMI/TED was frought with delays but can happen with any. I found Sanford friendly right down to the TSA guard who we chatted to for 10 minutes or more.
2006 October Indian Creek Villa.
2008 June Quality Inn Maingate West.
2009 October Windsor Hills 6 Bed Villa
2011 October Rosen Hotel Pointe
2014 August Avanti Resort I Drive
Cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Princess Clayre
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
stay away from American Airlines.
Their planes are older than the hills.

they have new planes on order, but until they finally get them, you should avoid them.
I'm going to confuse matters now by saying I really like American Airlines. The leg room is generally better than some of the others and they food is not bad. They don't fly direct however but the fares usually good.

Virgin have gone down hill over the years so not sure about them anymore.

I would favour the flights into Orlando Mccoy (MCO code) over Sanford as it just easier getting to WDW when we arrive.

Good luck getting thing sorted
Nov 05 offsite (Jack's first trip) * May '07 POP * May '08 POP/WL * Aug '10 SSR * May '12 SSR, May '13 SSR

Next trip: Our First Disney Cruise - Disney Magic Med Cruise Aug '14
Then Easter 2015 - WDW Yatch Club
Princess Clayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Clayre View Post
I'm going to confuse matters now by saying I really like American Airlines. The leg room is generally better than some of the others and they food is not bad. They don't fly direct however but the fares usually good.

I would favour the flights into Orlando Mccoy (MCO code) over Sanford as it just easier getting to WDW when we arrive.
Over the years on here I have learned everytime someone has something bad to say about something there is always someone that has good to say.
If a company is so bad then they would not exist. Companies, restaurants airlines.... have good and bad days, staff, planes etc, none are perfect.
I also have never had a bad flight with AA, they serve the best inflight pizza in the world IMO but I have not flown with them for about 3 years now.

Flew with Virgin in August for the first time in 3+ years after a few bad flights, the new planes are a big improvement, older plane going out had excellent staff onboard. So I am happy with VA again for now.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Karenpowley
Mouseketeer

Have flown with Thomson (First Choice) and Virgin - prefer Thomson as it's the only airline that flys from our local airport to Florida- makes all the difference to us after a long flight and just being able to drive home in 25 mins. Our flights have also been slightly cheaper aswell even when choosing to upgrade to premium.
I have flown into both florida airports but personally prefer Sanford as it's not so busy.
As for the planes - economy has more legroom than a lot of airlines, and if you can afford to upgrade to premium even more! All have backseat tv monitors and for an extra charge of ( was £5) payable on the aircraft, you are able to have the same choice as premium - tv monitors slightly smaller 7" as opposed to 9" in premium. Food is also very good! Drinks are also free in premium - not sure about economy- but all this info will be on their website.
Hope that helps! We have booked Thomson flight only for next year too!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Princess Clayre
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
I also have never had a bad flight with AA, they serve the best inflight pizza in the world IMO but I have not flown with them for about 3 years now.
It was the pizza that came to my mind when I mentioned the food. They still had it when I flew with them last year
Nov 05 offsite (Jack's first trip) * May '07 POP * May '08 POP/WL * Aug '10 SSR * May '12 SSR, May '13 SSR

Next trip: Our First Disney Cruise - Disney Magic Med Cruise Aug '14
Then Easter 2015 - WDW Yatch Club
Princess Clayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Clayre View Post

Good luck getting thing sorted
depends which of their planes you're on..
if you were on a 777 the leg room is reasonable..
if you're on their 767-300, they have the worst legroom of any airline in their league...you'll feel like you're in a sardine can..

check the numbers on seat guru..

so if you do choose to fly AA, check to be sure you'll be flying a 777...
Old 09-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #12
Mouskavik
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for the welcome and advice everyone! Much appreciated

We have put the deposit down on a villa and we were swaying more towards Thomson and Sanford so we will book with them. It will be 9 years since I took a long haul flight so I am sure I'll be amazed at the changes no matter what airline I'd chosen!

Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
Karenpowley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouskavik View Post
Thanks so much for the welcome and advice everyone! Much appreciated

We have put the deposit down on a villa and we were swaying more towards Thomson and Sanford so we will book with them. It will be 9 years since I took a long haul flight so I am sure I'll be amazed at the changes no matter what airline I'd chosen!

Thanks again!
If you do - it maybe worth giving them a ring first- I usually always book online as it's cheaper - but they wanted full payment online- when I rang - not only was it cheaper ( slightly) but they also offered me a low deposit which suited us at the moment! Happy booking!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
Mouskavik
Earning My Ears

Ooh, thank you!

Tags
british airways, flights, kids, thomson, virgin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: