Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Arts and Crafts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

looks great!!
Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #17
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone for the nice replies...I can't wait until it is done either, lol! I went to my parent's house to get the wigs yesterday and OMG THEY ARE HORRIBLE! They were NOT the color of the picture, they were this awful yellow/orange color and I sure am lucky the seller takes returns because there is NO WAY they will work for this costume. I contacted another seller on ebay and asked if they could give me a small price break since I want to purchase 5 wigs from them. The color is MUCH better, but the wig isn't as long and looks a little thinner so I would need an extra wig.

This is the wig I am looking at...see how you can see the lacing in the wig? It shouldn't be a big deal since I will have 5 of them with plenty of fibers to cover up any bald spots, and a huge amount of fake flowers to also fill in. I am just in PANIC MODE right now, totally freaking out...

There are other wigs that I like better but I need to buy from somebody in the US so that I can be sure it won't get caught up in customs and take forever to ship, and I also need to keep the price under $80. I am already temporarily out $80 from the last round of wigs I bought. It will be refunded once I return them but that's going to be a couple weeks

AHHH...lol I am totally freaking out here.

I might get this one. It would put me over my budget by about $20 but hey 20 bucks is 20 bucks...I can deal without it. I will go to the grocery store today and cash in all my change at the change machine so I can buy my wigs today, LOL.

I hope these ebay sellers write back to me soon. I am leaning more towards the second wig, but the seller doesn't say anything about combined shipping and they want $7 for each wig...I asked if they could do the $10 flat rate priority mail box. That way I know I will have it this weekend or the beginning of next week. I am really freaking out here! LOL

Disney Trips...
1997-1998-2001-2002-2005-2007-2009-2010-2011

My Rapunzel and Flynn Rider Costumes for MNSSHP

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."

Last edited by vickalamode; 09-29-2011 at 09:36 AM.
vickalamode is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
DisneyFairytale
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh! it's gorgeous! I wish I could make my own costume!
DisneyFairytale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFairytale View Post
Oh my gosh! it's gorgeous! I wish I could make my own costume!
Thank you so much!

It's not that hard to make your own costume. I took some sewing classes when I was in middle school, but it is easy to learn on your own too. Just start from small, easy projects-like pajama pants! Pajama pants are probably the easiest thing to start with, and they are something everyone can use. Start with easy stuff like that and work your way up!

Anyways here is my update for today...

I started Brian's Flynn Rider costume! Whoo! I was admittedly too cheap to buy the pattern I wanted since it cost $15, so I just had him try on a t-shirt that he doesn't wear anymore and it fit...so with his permission, I cut it up and used it as a base for the vest pattern LOL.

Here it is so far:

This is what it should look like when finished:

when he gets home tonight, I am going to have him try it on and hope it fits...I'll adjust what needs to be adjusted and then I plan on adding the cuffs and the collar and hemming the bottom. I'll buy all the little clasps and rivets etc this weekend. I am going to try to just purchase pants and a shirt for him. For the boots, I am just going to buy some faux leather fabric and make slipcovers to pin onto his pants that will attach to his brown dress shoes. Hopefully they look good, but I don't want to spend much money on boots that he will literally only wear once or twice.

My dress is going pretty good now...all I have to finish is putting sleeves on the top and complete the embroidery on the skirt. I am about 1/3 of the way finished on the embroidery!

I ended up ordering some new wigs and they shipped yesterday...from ANAHEIM! It's either fate or coincidence but it's like they are meant to be connected to Disney!

Disney Trips...

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."
Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #20
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

I added the collar and sleeves to the vest! Whoo!

I went to buy the shoes I put in an earlier post in this thread and they are sold out in my size, I am devastated! I'm going to have to go to the mall this weekend. I can't really find anything I like quite as much online, so I'll check stores in person. I still have another week to try to buy something on the internet, though....

Is anyone who is reading this going to an upcoming MNSSHP or has been to one already this year?! All the posts on the main board about how crowded and terrible it has been are freaking me out

This is my first MNSSHP and the reason I booked the trip for the time I booked it was because I wanted to go to MNSSHP...I hope it is still fun!

Disney Trips...

Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #21
ANJnMDS
Earning My Ears

It looks amazing!!!

I hope you find shoes you like!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #22
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

Epic Wig Update!

OK, the wig isn't totally finished yet but I got the bulk of it done this weekend!

IT IS LONG! Like...I actually need to make it a little bit shorter because it is literally dragging on the ground lol...

Oh, and it probably weighs around 20 pounds....I have a feeling it's going to be draped over my shoulder most of the time when I wear it!

Me trying it on before I braided it...

Braided!

Pretty much all I have to do on it now is finish the bangs and front, and add a ton of flowers! WHOO! But the hard part is done. I can't beleive I pulled this off, considering I basically made the wig from "scratch".

If anyone is interested in how the wig was made, I used This awesome Rapunzel Wig Tutorial

Disney Trips...

Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #23
ANJnMDS
Earning My Ears

Holy cow, that is AWESOME!!!

Did you find shoes to wear?

Given the fact that I'm a complete stranger and don't know you at all, I'm bizarrely excited about the progress you're making. LOL I felt like I needed to confess that.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #24
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

LOL That's okay I need the cheerleading I'm freaking out a little because we leave in two weeks and I am working almost every day but I will get it done lol...didn't find any shoes yet but only because I haven't gone shopping yet.

I'm glad you like the wig! I can't wait to decorate it with tons of flowers lol!

Disney Trips...

Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #25
n3rdgrl
Earning My Ears

Everything looks AMAZING! such a great job and the dress looks wonderful, loving the vest too...

The wig is just- there are no words for it, simply stunning! How much does it weigh all braided like that? it LOOKS heavy!

Can't wait to see final results, looks awesome!

nerd, crafter, wannabephotographer, dorky Twitter: @kelskc
n3rdgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #26
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdgrl View Post
Everything looks AMAZING! such a great job and the dress looks wonderful, loving the vest too...

The wig is just- there are no words for it, simply stunning! How much does it weigh all braided like that? it LOOKS heavy!

Can't wait to see final results, looks awesome!

Thank you so much!!

I haven't put it on a scale or anything but I think the wig probably weighs around 20 pounds. Yes, it is as heavy as it looks LOL. It's slightly flexible, though, so I can sort of put it on my shoulder to take some of the weight off if needed. But I think it will be totally worth the pain and suffering to have an awesome costume at MNSSHP, lol!

---

Today I am going to finish Brian's vest for his Flynn costume with the exception of the metal studs. JoAnn's didn't have any gold or copper colored jean rivets, only silver. I'm going to try another store before I settle for that. Otherwise I will just buy the silver ones and get a gold paint pen.

I'm also going to work on the embroidery on my dress some more. I hope to get 3 more of the designs on the skirt finished today! I need to get down to business because I only really have 2 or 3 more days off before my trip.

AHHH that reminds me...I still need to add SLEEVES to my dress OH NO...better get to work

Disney Trips...

Old 10-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #27
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

It's coming along very nicely! Love the Flynn costume so far, too! Try not to get overwhelmed, one little bit at a time and you'll have it done before you know it! I hope you'll share pictures of both of you at the party!
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #28
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

OK...The embroidery is halfway done! WHOO! Each one takes about an hour and I have 9 Days to finish the rest. I hope to get approximately half of the other side done today or to do at least one per day until we go. I also added the sleeves! I was also too lazy to put it on to model it for a picture but here you go...

The wig has also been flowered! YAY!

I still need to find shoes for my costume as well as new pants for DBF. I bought him brown pants at the thrift store and they were too small D: I don't really have the energy to sew him any at the moment so we're going to try to find some this week. In addition to sewing our costumes, I also stupidly volunteered to sew my friend a Rainbow Brite costume D: D: D: I'm glad I am helping out a friend but I feel SOOO overextended right now! We leave next Wednesday and I only have 2 more days off.

I also feel bad because DBF felt really awful this morning and I got upset at him for calling out of work because I didn't want anyone to disturb my day off since I have so much work still to do. It was really mean of me and I feel bad now I just feel really stressed out and I feel bad that I took it out on him. He ended up going to work, but a few hours late so he is only working a half day.

ANYWAYS, sorry for the rant.

So, things left to do:

-Embroider the other half of the skirt
-Find pants for DBF
-Fix some of the grommets in the corset part of the top

OH...and another thing...I can't find my Point and Shoot camera ANYWHERE. I stopped carrying it around with me since I got an iPhone in February and of course now I can't find it. I don't want to take my iPhone to the parks with us and I also don't want to carry the DSLR around constantly so I either need to borrow one from somebody, probably my mom if hers even works, or buy one....ahh, the things that happen right before vacation lol!

Disney Trips...

Old 10-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #29
ANJnMDS
Earning My Ears

It's looking awesome. I can't wait to see everything put together.

Good luck getting everything done and finding that camera! I'm sure DBF understand you're stressed and will forgive you.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #30
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

The costume is looking fantastic!

Good luck with everything!

Rebecca

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: