Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #181
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

I had a VERY frustrating experience with my first son. He was 3.5 weeks early and the LC told me he wouldn't latch until he was 40 weeks. We tried some, but when he wouldn't latch, she just said I had to wait and give him the bottle. After about 10 days at home, I called to see if we could come in for help (which they said they offered) and was told it was $120. I was fine with that, I wanted help! I wasn't sure I was even doing it right and was having a hard time interpreting the book I had bought. Then they said it would be a waste of money because they showed me how already and he wasn't 40 weeks. So, I asked if we could come in at 40 weeks. No, they don't see babies over 2 weeks old. So, then I asked for an outside referral, which I was told it was against their policy to endorse their competitors. AND- this was a hospital a million people told me was awesome. He never did latch (even after a private LC) and I pumped full time for 3 months. I really hope I can make it work this time because I was so devastated.

On a good note, I just found out I passed my 3 hour glucose test!
AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #182
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

My mom taught me about breastfeeding with my DD. She was in La Leche League when I was young and really knows her stuff; the lactation consultant helped some in the hospital. With my DS, the hospital lactation consultant wasn't even in on the weekend and no one ever asked if I knew what I was doing--or maybe because he was my second, they figured I could handle it.

Just know that it takes time and patience. It's not a wham bam type of thing... expect to dedicate A LOT of time to it in the beginning; oh, and it hurts some. (Translate: spend a lot of time on the couch; buy Lansinoh.) Once established, I found it to be easier than bottle feeding, but that maybe is just me. Less to carry, clean, buy, etc. (Not at all against bottle feeding though--just do what works for you. I nursed my DD until 7 months, then bottle fed, and nursed DS until 19 months--then had knee surgery and weaned overnight so he didn't get the strong meds.)

I'm due in six weeks--hoping for less, lol!

Glad you passed your 3 hour, AZ Mermaid. I had to take that, too. Yuck!
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #183
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenLC View Post
I can only speak from my experience, but I couldn't count on the lactation consultant at our hospital for a whole lot. She came in, but wasn't overly helpful which I think is because she was busy. It might be worth re-scheduling your class or possibly reaching out to the lactation consultant at your hospital now if that's possible.
Hmm that is too bad. I heard the ones at the hospital I'll be delivering at are fantastic, plus we have another hospital close by with a great breastfeeding support group. I don't think I'll be rescheduling, mainly bc I don't honestly think that class was going to teach me THAT much - they talked about "breastmilk storage", "going back to work", and "how your husband can be involved" as main subjects. Which is why I did not care to stay up so late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahdrewmom View Post
Don't worry about it! Breastfeeding is on the job training to be honest. They can tell you all sorts of things... but until you are in the midst of it .... you will never get it.

I'd check with your pediatricians office too. Most of them have lactation consultants or nurses trained. For me breastfeeding was different with each child and I was able to figure it out as I went with a little help. There is a wealth of information out there and resources... so you won't be left hanging!
Thank you Yes very true - the pedi we chose specializes in issues w/ bf'ing/latching/etc. And we'll see her 2 days after we get home, so I'm sure by then we'll know if there is a big issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbzilla View Post
Breastfeeding is not innate, but you can learn it through trial and error and books. I did. It was a lot more painful that way, though. The lactation consultant for my first birth (when I really needed one) was not any help at all. The one for my second was awesome, but I had caught on to it with my first by reading books and trial and error, so I didn't need her.
Thanks for your input! I'm sure even with an excellent class it would STILL be trial and error to get things right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
I had a VERY frustrating experience with my first son. He was 3.5 weeks early and the LC told me he wouldn't latch until he was 40 weeks. We tried some, but when he wouldn't latch, she just said I had to wait and give him the bottle. After about 10 days at home, I called to see if we could come in for help (which they said they offered) and was told it was $120. I was fine with that, I wanted help! I wasn't sure I was even doing it right and was having a hard time interpreting the book I had bought. Then they said it would be a waste of money because they showed me how already and he wasn't 40 weeks. So, I asked if we could come in at 40 weeks. No, they don't see babies over 2 weeks old. So, then I asked for an outside referral, which I was told it was against their policy to endorse their competitors. AND- this was a hospital a million people told me was awesome. He never did latch (even after a private LC) and I pumped full time for 3 months. I really hope I can make it work this time because I was so devastated.

On a good note, I just found out I passed my 3 hour glucose test!
That is SO terrible about your experience. UGH! So sorry you had that. I hope that our support system (ie the 2 hospital's LCs and our pedi) will give us some help, even if the delivering hospital is no help. Apparently our insurance covers visits to a LC, surprisingly enough. That's wonderful you still pumped though, I plan to pump too, bc she'll be going to daycare at 12 weeks old.

Congrats on passing the 3 hr!! I've heard ppl generally pass the 3hr even after failing the 1hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVCshopper View Post
My mom taught me about breastfeeding with my DD. She was in La Leche League when I was young and really knows her stuff; the lactation consultant helped some in the hospital. With my DS, the hospital lactation consultant wasn't even in on the weekend and no one ever asked if I knew what I was doing--or maybe because he was my second, they figured I could handle it.

Just know that it takes time and patience. It's not a wham bam type of thing... expect to dedicate A LOT of time to it in the beginning; oh, and it hurts some. (Translate: spend a lot of time on the couch; buy Lansinoh.) Once established, I found it to be easier than bottle feeding, but that maybe is just me. Less to carry, clean, buy, etc. (Not at all against bottle feeding though--just do what works for you. I nursed my DD until 7 months, then bottle fed, and nursed DS until 19 months--then had knee surgery and weaned overnight so he didn't get the strong meds.)

I'm due in six weeks--hoping for less, lol!

Glad you passed your 3 hour, AZ Mermaid. I had to take that, too. Yuck!
Thanks for your input - that was wonderful you had such help with your mom! I have looked into La Leche League and will probably look into going to their meetings if we're having troubles. I already have Lasinoh in my hospital bag LOL. I do think that once it's established it will be a lot easier, esp for night feedings!

6 weeks! Congrats! Amazing how time flies! I have about 7.5 weeks left.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #184
bvkramer
Earning My Ears

We're not telling our families until after our sonogram, so besides my husband, you'll be the only ones who know!!

We're expecting!! Baby #2!!

Our son will be 3 when the baby comes, and our May Disney Trip is going to be his birthday/ and last trip as an only child trip!

So excited. I had to tell SOMEBODY!!
bvkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #185
rao363
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvkramer View Post
We're not telling our families until after our sonogram, so besides my husband, you'll be the only ones who know!!

Our son will be 3 when the baby comes, and our May Disney Trip is going to be his birthday/ and last trip as an only child trip!

Congratulations!! We are just alike, I also am expecting baby #2 and told the disboards before my family!haha. Its so hard not to explode with excitement My son will almost be 3 when DS/DD arrives! How many weeks are you? I will be 12 weeks tomorrow! Almost the end of the first trimester WOO HOO!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #186
bvkramer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao363 View Post
Congratulations!! We are just alike, I also am expecting baby #2 and told the disboards before my family!haha. Its so hard not to explode with excitement My son will almost be 3 when DS/DD arrives! How many weeks are you? I will be 12 weeks tomorrow! Almost the end of the first trimester WOO HOO!
How exciting! My little boy will be 3 in June and we are due in August. I'm 4-5 weeks right now. We'll probably wait til after 12 weeks to tell someone but I NEEDED to tell someone before I spilled on accident.
bvkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #187
rillsung
DIS Veteran

With my first, I had to pump because she was tube fed I pumped for 9mo and she never breastfed. With my second, Mostly I figured it out, but I also attended a La Leche League meeting when she was a couple weeks old to have them give me some suggestions on a couple of small problems I was having.

10 days till my duedate!!

rillsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #188
steves1bear
Mouseketeer

I'll also chip in our experience breastfeeding. We never went to a class specifically for that. I think, it's been so long ago I'm exactly sure, it was quickly covered in our birthing class. I don't think skipping the class will be too much of a problem because from our experience, it wasn't until we were actually faced with having to do it that we realized the problems and trying to find solutions. Breastfeeding takes a lot of time, effort, patience, and focus. Use the lactation nurses at the hospital, but don't let them dictate if breastfeeding will work for you or not. Lactation nurses can be wonderful, the first one we talked with was great, but if we had listened to the the second nurse, we would have given up completely and ended up pumping or using formula. Good luck!!

I can finally say we are in single digits!! For some reason this is always a milestone because the due date seems less distant. I did end up having to take the 3 hour test, but luckily passed. So hopefully things are as easy from this point as they have up to this point.

Hope everyone else is feeling great!!
steves1bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #189
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvkramer View Post

Congrats!! I KNOW the feeling!! We did get an early U/S around 6w and told our parents then after seeing the heartbeat. After that, we waited until about 12 weeks along to tell anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rillsung View Post
With my first, I had to pump because she was tube fed I pumped for 9mo and she never breastfed. With my second, Mostly I figured it out, but I also attended a La Leche League meeting when she was a couple weeks old to have them give me some suggestions on a couple of small problems I was having.

10 days till my duedate!!
Thanks for your input on BFing - I wouldn't feel bad about "just" pumping - she still got all the nutrients! I don't think I'll feel bad if it comes to that, since I'll have to pump at work anyway.

Can't WAIT to see pics!! 10 days! Wow. Actually, by now it's probably 7! Crazy. How have you been feeling? Do you think you'll go early at all? I'm surprised as this is your 3rd baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1bear View Post
I'll also chip in our experience breastfeeding. We never went to a class specifically for that. I think, it's been so long ago I'm exactly sure, it was quickly covered in our birthing class. I don't think skipping the class will be too much of a problem because from our experience, it wasn't until we were actually faced with having to do it that we realized the problems and trying to find solutions. Breastfeeding takes a lot of time, effort, patience, and focus. Use the lactation nurses at the hospital, but don't let them dictate if breastfeeding will work for you or not. Lactation nurses can be wonderful, the first one we talked with was great, but if we had listened to the the second nurse, we would have given up completely and ended up pumping or using formula. Good luck!!

I can finally say we are in single digits!! For some reason this is always a milestone because the due date seems less distant. I did end up having to take the 3 hour test, but luckily passed. So hopefully things are as easy from this point as they have up to this point.

Hope everyone else is feeling great!!
Single digits for weeks? I don't remember your due date, but congrats!! Such a great feeling!! I'm at 6.5 weeks left now. Really getting uncomfortable.

Thanks for your BFing experience - hoping we have an easy time but I'm sure we'll have some struggles getting BFing going.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #190
rillsung
DIS Veteran

Single digit DAYS for me! 7 in fact...

Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #191
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rillsung View Post
Single digit DAYS for me! 7 in fact...
Good luck! Are you hoping he or she holds off until after Christmas? I still have five weeks, but I'm starting to slow down now.
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #192
rillsung
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVCshopper View Post
Good luck! Are you hoping he or she holds off until after Christmas? I still have five weeks, but I'm starting to slow down now.
Yes AFTER Christmas! I have a friend watching my 2 girls till my parents can get here. They're at least 2 hours away and if it's like it is now with all the snow, longer... It would be really stinky to have them at a friend's house for Christmas.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #193
piratesLifeYoho
Mouseketeer

Hello,
Im new to this blog, and was hoping to bounce some thoughts with you.

My husband and I just found out that we are expecting our first baby. We are both very excited. The doctor says we are at about 7 or 8 weeks in. Our extended family has a big reunion-like trip to WDW planned for for late June (also happens to be during my birthday). We planned on going, as I am one of the biggest Disney fans I know at my age, and it is a one time opportunity to have everyone be there at the same time. I am concerned about what to expect if we do decide to go at roughly 6 or 7 months pregnant. How would you spend your time there if you couldnt ride any of the rides?

Thanks for your thoughts.

bring back VMK
http://www.savevmktoday.com/index.html

listen to this!
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-12100
piratesLifeYoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 AM   #194
cancer_survivor_06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesLifeYoho View Post
Hello,
Im new to this blog, and was hoping to bounce some thoughts with you.

My husband and I just found out that we are expecting our first baby. We are both very excited. The doctor says we are at about 7 or 8 weeks in. Our extended family has a big reunion-like trip to WDW planned for for late June (also happens to be during my birthday). We planned on going, as I am one of the biggest Disney fans I know at my age, and it is a one time opportunity to have everyone be there at the same time. I am concerned about what to expect if we do decide to go at roughly 6 or 7 months pregnant. How would you spend your time there if you couldnt ride any of the rides?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Congrats, I don't have alot of info for going pregnant I just know to keep well hydrated, maybe try to take a break during the hottest part of the day back at your room have a nap or a swim.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:01 AM   #195
cancer_survivor_06
DIS Veteran

I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts here lately but I do have a question about breastfeeding that maybe I can be guided in the right direction. A little history of my experiences w/ my first dd it was not something I grew up around and no info for the most part and was kind of pushed into it by my dh's family, I wasn't very comfy w/ it so I had a hard time and only did it for a few weeks and gave up. My second dd I was more aware and comfy and ready/prepared to give it my all however my dd had several delays aside from being in the nicu for a couple of weeks and her not latching on at all I did just pump but towards the end of her stay in the nicu I was no longer producing anything to pump so I stopped and she made a complete change health wise strictly being on formula. A year later I found out that I had cancer and the mass was actually in chest (hodgkins lymphoma) so I am not sure if that had any actual affects on me breastfeeding. I have pretty much given up on it at this point and figure it will not be possible for one I do still have the mass in my chest while it is just nacrotic tissue I just don't know if its safe, I am also not sure how it will work since I am also the primary caregiver my 8yr old who is immobile and requires alot of involvement for moving and changing and so and so forth. At this point I am not sure who to talk with about even trying out again whether I should address my concerns w/ my ob, my high risk ob, my oncologist, our pediatrician, or just a lactation consultant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: