Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
baldy6060
Mouseketeer

Driving straight through to WDW from Indiana

I am going to try to drive to Disney World from Indiana without stopping overnight this trip. I usually like to stop overnight for at least a 6 hour stay at a cheap hotel. Once I stopped at a rest stop for a few hours. And once I drove straight through with mixed results. We got there safe and quickly but, man, was I looney by the time the kids woke up in the morning! This time I will be driving with my wife, my 14 yo son and my 15 month old son. We will be renting an SUV. My wife doesn't drive much except for locally so I will be a solo driver. We will probably leave around 5 pm. I will most likely be working that day. I'm a rural carrier and will be driving about 5 hours already. I need all kinds of advice. Anything. For instance, tips for handling the baby. What to expect from him. How to keep him entertained. What to do during rest stops and how to minimize the pit stops. What should I do to help me stay awake and alert? Foods to eat or avoid to help me from getting drowsy. Are there any energy drinks or whatnot that may help (no jitter inducing items please)? Any quiz, trivia or other fun podcasts or activities to keep me entertained? I know there will be challenges. Help me out any way you can, please. Thanks, everyone!
baldy6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #2
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

Honestly with you working all day, then trying to drive straight thru, does seem a bit dangerous. I would stop some where around 11:00 sleep and in the morning grab a shower, and breakfast would be a must. Plus you will be rested and more ready to handle the road again.

With the baby you will have to stop more. I have found that kids do better at that age, stopping to eat and letting them run around a burn off some energy, also stopping at rest areas and letting them run around chase a ball or just walk the length of the side walks a few times, helps with all the stored up energy. For entertainment, Disney movies on a I Pad or lap top will work, a new toy something that they just get in the car. Make sure he has his favorite bed time pal, and familiar snacks for in line and in the room. One thing is to keep him on his normal schedule, nap time, meal times and such while in the parks. If you want to instead of everyone going back to room for a nap, you or your wife can go and 1 parent stays with the older son so he gets some special time one on one with you. Also heading to the pool mid- day then a nap for everyone works miracles on over tired kids... little and big ones to.... meaning mom and dad..

Have a wonderful vacation.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM   #3
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If you are already worried about being drowsy, then the best advice is to stop along the way. That is a very long drive to attempt non-stop, especially if you have already been driving that day.

Don't do it. You already know you will be tired and fighting falling asleep. You are risking not only your own family, but everyone else on the road. For your own safety, and the safety of everyone else on the road with you, STOP!
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM   #4
Habbott
Mouseketeer

Having done the trip from Indiana to Disney when my son was 2.5, you are definitely going to need to do some stopping if he is awake. But, for your own driving safety, I would either encourage your wife to drive some of the straight, flat driving, or stop at a motel for a rest.

We entertained my little guy with the iPad filled with movies. And stops to mcdonalds or chik fil a, where one of us would take him to the play area.
Habbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM   #5
Polishnavy
Earning My Ears

If you had a second driver to split the drive with, I would say go for it! But that is too much for one person Your toddler DS could go either way - some kids are wiggly and fussy. Some will watch movies and nap. Could you find some long, non city stretches of the drive for your wife to drive? I also echo PP with find a restaurant with a play area or a rest area for the little one to run. Good luck!
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM   #6
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Go home after work, get a good meal, pack the car, and go to bed. Get up at 3 or 4 am and start your drive THEN instead.
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #7
baldy6060
Mouseketeer

Don't worry, everyone. If I get too tired I will certainly stop. It's always an option. I wouldn't endanger my family. I just want to try and was looking for tips. I know we'll be making more stops at rest areas but if I drive straight through, a majority of the drive time would be with a sleeping baby rather than a fidgety one.
baldy6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:21 AM   #8
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

I'm driving alone (only driver, but I'll have my 7 & 9 y/o girls with me) from the Jersey Shore all the way down to Disney. I plan on leaving at 3:30-4am and driving as far as I can. I don't like driving at night, so for me, this is the best option. Have you concidered it?? That way, you'll get some rest after working all day, and you get the bonus of NOT having to drive in the dark. Only downside is the fact that you will be driving during your 15 m/o awake time, but with your wife in the car to help, and taking a few breaks, I'm sure it will be okay! Better safe than sorry!!
Old Today, 08:01 AM   #9
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

We drive straight thru from Nj to WDW. What works best for us is packing snacks like nuts (almonds, cashews, etc) and munching on them to stay awake. Iced coffees that we made from home in our Disney mugs :-). I also hard boil eggs and in the early morning my DH will have 1 or 2 of them. He said it helps stay awake. Stay away from heavy snacks like cakes, donuts, etc. that might make you drowsy. It may give you a sugar high for a little while and then you'll crash.

We have an 8 year old and 5 year old so they are entertained by their iPads and also a portable DVD player we bring and watch Disney movies. For the baby, bring baby's fav snacks, DVD player, few toys.
We sleep a little (hour or 2) at a test stop and that's enough. We are way too excited to stop off for the night, wouldn't get any sleep anyways. Lol
Old Today, 08:18 AM   #10
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy6060 View Post
I am going to try to drive to Disney World from Indiana without stopping overnight this trip. I usually like to stop overnight for at least a 6 hour stay at a cheap hotel. Once I stopped at a rest stop for a few hours. And once I drove straight through with mixed results. We got there safe and quickly but, man, was I looney by the time the kids woke up in the morning! This time I will be driving with my wife, my 14 yo son and my 15 month old son. We will be renting an SUV. My wife doesn't drive much except for locally so I will be a solo driver. We will probably leave around 5 pm. I will most likely be working that day. I'm a rural carrier and will be driving about 5 hours already. I need all kinds of advice. Anything. For instance, tips for handling the baby. What to expect from him. How to keep him entertained. What to do during rest stops and how to minimize the pit stops. What should I do to help me stay awake and alert? Foods to eat or avoid to help me from getting drowsy. Are there any energy drinks or whatnot that may help (no jitter inducing items please)? Any quiz, trivia or other fun podcasts or activities to keep me entertained? I know there will be challenges. Help me out any way you can, please. Thanks, everyone!
I'm in KY and wouldn't drive without stopping mainly because I'd rather arrive early afternoon and be fresh and ready to explore rather than being a zombie from being awake for over 24 hours. Good luck whatever you decide
Old Today, 02:13 PM   #11
lbmiller77
Earning My Ears

I drove straight through from Evansville, IN to Miami with a 11 month old last year by myself. It's doable. My original plan was to leave after work and drive straight through (15 hours), but decided to pack the car and go to sleep at 7pm. I left Evansville at 3 am and made it to Orlando by 5pm, Miami by 9pm.

For the most part my son slept most of the way. When he was awake, I kept him occupied with movies, toys, and singing (I had no voice by the time we got to Miami, LOL). I stopped approximately every 4 hours, and only when my son was awake (if I could wait that long). During each stop, I filled up the tank, fed him, changed him, and allowed him to crawl around a little bit depending on where we were. Have a great time on your trip!
lbmiller77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #12
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

We are not quite an hour north of Indy and we leave like you do. When DH gets off work, we take off. We stop for dinner around Columbus and then drive through to Knoxville and stop for the night. We eat a good breakfast and then take off again and drive the rest of the way. My kids are older now, and we didn't have all the cool stuff kids have now to keep them busy, so I am of no help with that. Have a great trip!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:27 PM   #13
asmit4
DIS Veteran

OP says it is him, wife and 2 kids- so 2 drivers. Totally doable
November 2013- Wyndham Bonnet Creek/AS Sports
October 2014- DVC- Saratoga Springs/Wyndham BC
asmit4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:34 PM   #14
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmit4 View Post
OP says it is him, wife and 2 kids- so 2 drivers. Totally doable
Read again---OP says his wife only drives locally and he'll be doing all the driving.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: