Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
kohlby
DIS Veteran

Noise cancelling headphones recommendation needed

I've been reading the reviews over on Amazon and there are so many headphones. Which headphones have you found are the best for a child to help with the fireworks noise? He's 5, but has a big head, so ones for 8+ would work. (Or ones for adults that adjust small enough. But ones meant for the under 8 crowd would be too small). Some reviews say certain headphones are uncomfortable and others don't block out the noise enough. So, I was wondering what the Disney experts use!
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

We won't be testing them at Disney until next month, but my son has a pair of Peltor Noise Cancelling Headphones. The reviews on one site I read said they are Nascar tested. He's worn them at sporting events where fireworks go off. He's worn them sitting near a marching band and other various sporting events. He's 4. He has a decent sized noggin, but the smallest ones are good on him. From your description you might need the "junior" ones if you pick these. They are for youth and small adults.

Oct. 2011: Fall Break at Sea World and Magic Kingdom
TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2827406
June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
GrtWtNorth
DIS Veteran

Active noise cancelling devices work well for constant noise (like train / plane noise / some crowd noise) but will not be as effective for intermittent noise (like fireworks). You may be better off getting (passive) acoustic ear muffs. My nephews have some in kids sizes. I'm not certain where they got them, but I would suggest searching online for place that sells auto racing gear or NASCAR merchandise.

If you are still interested in active noise cancelling devices, I've been happy with the Sony earphones (more comfortable) and ear buds (more aircraft friendly) which are about half the price of top-of-the line Bose devices. But those were sized for adults and may not fit children.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
richw2
Earning My Ears

If it just for fireworks, use the foam ear plugs, cheap and will work fine, like those used for target shooters. As someone said, the one like Bose are great for constant noise levels like airplane engines.
Good luck!!
richw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

My DD has the Peltor Kids ones and really likes them. I've tried them on and they are comfortable on me but a bit tight. Your son will probably be fine with the Peltor Junior ones.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Noise cancelling headphones don't work well for sudden loud noises like fireworks. I would recommend cheap foam earplugs.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

There seems to be a real problem with people thinking noise canceling headphones block outside sounds. They don't. OP, as noted, you simply need noise blocking earmuffs, such as the Peltor ones already mentioned. They're much cheaper than the headphones as well.
lost*in*cyberspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

My kids have the ones used at gun ranges. It just muffles the noise so its not that loud. We got ours at walmart.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
kohlby
DIS Veteran

Thanks for clearing up that I needed the ear muffs for the fireworks. He won't wear ear plugs. I'll look into the Peltor jr ones. Where did y'all buy yours from?

*I saw them on Amazon and read through several of the reviews. Several people were putting them on babies/toddlers and several said they were too small for their kids at older ages? Does the jr size run much smaller than it says? Or are people messing up which one they ordered? It says 13+ so I would think it would not be too small, even with his very large head.

Last edited by kohlby; 04-20-2014 at 06:33 PM.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

We bought ours through Amazon. Ours are the Peltor Kids version, which I believe they just renamed to "Junior" so they are the same size as the ones you are looking at. As I mentioned earlier, they fit me but are just a tad tight on me. They are fine on DD and she is now 10.

If you are uneasy about the size when buying over the internet, I know Walmart sells similar ones in their sporting goods department.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: