Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Just back 11/12 - 11/18 mini trip report

Hello!

I've always loved reading everyone's mini just back trip reports so I thought I'd post some of our highlights and what we experienced this past week.

The crowds - it was definitely a lot more crowded than I expected. I had been the week before Thanksgiving in 2008 and it didn't even compare. We all know the "secret" is out and as we all say, there really isn't a quiet time anymore. I'm fine with that but just warning others! We didn't have horrendous wait times for the ride times because we did do RD most days and used the fast passes as needed. We also used them after their posted times (as discussed many times here ) and not one CM said anything to us about returning after the posted time. I've been with my family this week in 2008, the end of Sept/beginning of October, two weeks before/after Easter (third week in April) the end of October and most recently this past June (9-16th) and honestly this trip was just as crowded as the week in June. I say that not to scare people away from this week in the future, but perhaps June isn't all that bad which is what I had read before we went in June. Clearly it was warmer in June, but since it got up to almost 85 during this past week - not by much! My advice - pick a timeframe that works for your family, have a plan, and enjoy!

We went to the MVMCP on Tuesday, November 15th and it was very packed! I had been the same time during our November 2008 trip and I've also been to two different MNSSHP's and this Xmas party was by far the most crowded party I've been too. It was more crowded than the MNSSHP last year on Oct 28th! We enjoyed ourselves but it was extremely over crowded in the hub area (you literally could not move) and leaving we literally stood still in a crowd of people for over 10 minutes. We also experienced crowds through out the parks and this was a little shocking to me (based on my past party experiences). Looking back I would still do it, but just be prepared for it. It was also very warm that night

The dining/food - we took advantage of the free dining and had wonderful dining experiences, for the most part. We stayed at the POP and we all know it can get sort of hectic at times but we just rolled with it. At Sci-Fi my burger that was supposed to be well done (and I stressed well done ) came out pink and I just couldn't eat it. Unfortunately our waitress didn't come back to check on us for another 15 minutes. I was about to get up and ask someone to find her because by then my friend was finished eating but I waited patiently since we were relaxing and not in a hurry. When the waitress stopped by, she felt bad I could tell. I told her she could just bring me a kids cheeseburger since they are smaller and that's all I'd eat anyway and I knew they'd cook faster. She agreed and disappeared. A few minutes later she brought a disney bag over to me and said she got me some goodies. She gave me two Sci-Fi drinking cups filled with caramel popcorn as well as two water bottles for later. I had been talking to her earlier and mentioned my DS (8) and she gave me a buzz lightyear light up clip pin to bring home to him. So very sweet of her and not expected.

Now on to the nightmare - Mama Melrose! I don't think this is talked about too much on the boards - or at least I don't read about it too often - but it needs to be known because there were A LOT of very angry customers in there. This also happened during our June trip so it's worth mentioning since it obviously happens quite often, if not daily. We had an early dinner ADR at 4:00pm because we wanted to catch the flipping of the switch for the Osborne Lights show. We got there around 3:50-3:55pm and waited in line to check in for at least 15 minutes - it went out the door. We had already overheard it was at least a 45 minute delay for reservations. Not a problem and we got lucky and found a seat to sit down and wait. Well - it was over 1 hour wait, if not about 1 hour 15 minute wait time for a 4pm ADR! The folks that were complaining VERY vocally were upset because they had booked the Fantasmic package and now wouldn't be able to make it to the 6:30pm show since the dining part was delayed so much. They weren't happy at all and I can't blame them. I had heard from the June trip for our waitress that the people in the restaurant that have the Fantasmic reservations usually don't leave because they hang out and wait for the show there or wait up close to the time. Thus, the restaurant doesn't empty as fast as they think and it's all backed up. That's difficult on both sides of the coin...I don't know what the solution is but it was a zoo there and I don't think the food quality warrants waiting that long and around a bunch of very upset people - that's just my two cents! By the way - we did end up missing the flipping of the switch for the lights which was disappointing but nothing we could do about it. We had wonderful meals at 'Ohana, Tutto Italia, Crystal Palace for breakfast, Grand Floridian for tea, Food & Wine Snacks, Sci - Fi, Earl of Sandwich, Yak & Yeti and Coral Reef.

The weather - I have this "thing" about bringing record breaking heat waves with me! I had really hoped for the weather to be in the 60's. We got very lucky during our Nov 08 trip and wore a light jacket most nights and loved it. This week, we ended up with high humidity (natural for FL) and it was 84 degrees several days and very warm. A lot probably loved it but it was too hot for me. Not unbearable of course, but we were easily sweating!

Bus transportation was just fine all week and we never waiting too long. Leaving HS one night we had to wait on the three busses to head to the POP but it was crowded at that time.

I had a wonderful first time girls only trip but my own humble opinion - I just missed my DS and DH too much this trip. I think it's because we've built so many wonderful family memories at Disney that I thought of the two of them constantly and missed them terribly. I'm so very glad they supported my girls trip but I won't be doing it again, without them!

Highlights for me this trip would be the Osborne Lights in HS (we went twice) and also the tea at the Grand Floridian before going to MVMCP - great tea and food and so elegant!

Any questions - I'll be happy to try and help out!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
Old 11-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Mama-san
DIS Veteran

Very nice! So glad you had a good trip! Makes me more anxious for January to get here for mine!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
mlittig
DIS Veteran

So glad you enjoyed your trip

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 4/17/15 Old Key West
Old 11-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
MainMom
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a nice time!

I wish you were going the same week as me to bring the heat wave. I would LOVE those temps!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

"Just back" threads are a better fit for our Trip Reports board, so I've moved this one.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainMom View Post
Sounds like a nice time!

I wish you were going the same week as me to bring the heat wave. I would LOVE those temps!
Ha ha!! Sounds good to me I told my husband I was going in January next time so I'm open!!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Dorisk3
DIS Veteran

Great trip report, I was just reading it to my husband, and we could have written the exact same things! We were there on the Tues. party, and I totally agree, the party was the busiest Disney party we had ever attended. Normally I'm very laid back, but I had a few snarky comments because we were just so packed in for the fireworks and the castle show.

Since we have mostly gone in September, the weather seemed very nice to us, but I was hoping for more in the 70s than the 80s.

Did you get to swim at the Pop pool? Was it well heated? At Fort Wilderness, the cabins pool was wonderful, like a bathtub, but at the Boardwalk, I wouldn't go in, I thought it was freezing.

Our family
Old 11-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorisk3 View Post
Great trip report, I was just reading it to my husband, and we could have written the exact same things! We were there on the Tues. party, and I totally agree, the party was the busiest Disney party we had ever attended. Normally I'm very laid back, but I had a few snarky comments because we were just so packed in for the fireworks and the castle show.

Since we have mostly gone in September, the weather seemed very nice to us, but I was hoping for more in the 70s than the 80s.

Did you get to swim at the Pop pool? Was it well heated? At Fort Wilderness, the cabins pool was wonderful, like a bathtub, but at the Boardwalk, I wouldn't go in, I thought it was freezing.
Too funny! We got a decent spot for the Fireworks at a decent time and we were to the left of the Castle, away from the hub. There was a mother, grandmother and child standing with us and she lost it a few times. I was talking under my breath and it was extremely frustrating all the people trying to still cut through there knowing it was completely packed and dark. There was nowhere for them to move, but they kept pushing through. It dampened the ability to enjoy the show but I had to push it out of my head because it was so crowded!!

I too would have loved more 70's!!! Oh well, maybe next time? We actually did not swim this trip but I heard they finally fixed the heater at the POP pools but I'm not 100% on that. I did see a lot of people swimming, even at night so I would assume it was fixed?

Heather
Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
adoerr72
Earning My Ears

Thanks for sharing. We leave soon and I'm reading everything I can. I've already anticipated the crowds being there (and you've now confirmed). Thanks again for your mini report.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
heatherenae71
Mouseketeer

I'm glad to read your thoughts on MVMCP...we were there that night, too and it being our first one ever, I had no idea if it was considered insanely crowded or "normal" for a party. I thought it was a MADHOUSE and yes, freaking HOT - LOL! I feel much better, though, knowing it was extremely crowded and not the norm because we didn't do much (well, not all that I had hoped to do!) I felt like we were MVMCP failures (and my DH and DS were - they hightailed it out of the park right after the fireworks - they never saw the parade )

We were at the parks Nov. 15 - 19 and yeah, I was quite surprised how warm it was.

Thanks for this quick mini-report!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoerr72 View Post
Thanks for sharing. We leave soon and I'm reading everything I can. I've already anticipated the crowds being there (and you've now confirmed). Thanks again for your mini report.
You're welcome - I'm sure you guys will have a blast!! ENJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherenae71 View Post
I'm glad to read your thoughts on MVMCP...we were there that night, too and it being our first one ever, I had no idea if it was considered insanely crowded or "normal" for a party. I thought it was a MADHOUSE and yes, freaking HOT - LOL! I feel much better, though, knowing it was extremely crowded and not the norm because we didn't do much (well, not all that I had hoped to do!) I felt like we were MVMCP failures (and my DH and DS were - they hightailed it out of the park right after the fireworks - they never saw the parade )

We were at the parks Nov. 15 - 19 and yeah, I was quite surprised how warm it was.

Thanks for this quick mini-report!!!
Yep, it was definitely packed! Everyone I talked to that night was saying the same thing. Unfortunately I think this will become (if not already) the norm for parties and "low crowds" - they simply don't exist any more

I'm glad I'm not alone in wanting it colder either!! It was a little too warm for me too

Ps. You guys are not MVMCP failures -

Heather

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: