Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #3106
valree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
No where other than the thinking about it stage. Lol.
Let me know if you have any questions about it! I think it's a great way to stay on WDW in a bigger room and not pay a lot of money. Availability is limited at certain resorts during busier times of the year (VWL at Christmastime, BWV and BCV during Food & Wine), but rooms at SSR and OKW are almost always available.

Quote:
I went to the post office today.....and they were out of stamps..... and were rude about it..... Excuse me for asking for an item, which is something that you should have. Then, they gave me a wrong form for my passport, and they said that the form " hasn't been used in 5 years" THEN WHY DID YOU GIVE ONE TO ME? Then they said they could not have possibly given it to me. Yes, USPS, I keep 5 year old passport forms on me, just to mess with you.
Hahaha! Sounds like a great trip. There's never a dull moment at the post office. Every time I go, I have to brace myself.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #3107
charliebrown
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valree View Post

Hahaha! Sounds like a great trip. There's never a dull moment at the post office. Every time I go, I have to brace myself.
Me the entire time:

and if they loose my birth certificate:

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #3108
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post

They also took my ORIGINAL birth certificate, and they mail it to philly. um, what happens if it gets lost, or stolen? Oh, i forgot that not a single piece of mail has every been misplaced.
That I believe would be due to the actual government requirements. Just like you can't use a photo-copied version of your birth certificate for getting a driver's license, they won't take anything but a certified copy of the birth certificate in the processing of the passport application. The Post Office is basically just a middle-man in the whole Passport getting bureaucracy.

And to be honest, since i've never actually applied for a passport, I wouldn't be shocked if the Passport processing people either lose it, or don't return it after they verify the information.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #3109
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
That I believe would be due to the actual government requirements. Just like you can't use a photo-copied version of your birth certificate for getting a driver's license, they won't take anything but a certified copy of the birth certificate in the processing of the passport application. The Post Office is basically just a middle-man in the whole Passport getting bureaucracy.

And to be honest, since i've never actually applied for a passport, I wouldn't be shocked if the Passport processing people either lose it, or don't return it after they verify the information.
how was your weekend ?

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #3110
charliebrown

Quote:

wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just take the birth-certificate at the post office, and they could check to make sure its legit, then scan the original and either email it or ship a copy to the passport people?

Like a boss

Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #3111
MICKEY88
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just take the birth-certificate at the post office, and they could check to make sure its legit, then scan the original and either email it or ship a copy to the passport people?

Like a boss
nope, government never operates in a simple logical way, it's also illegal to photocopy a birth certificate

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #3112
charliebrown

you would think they would allow you do make a copy if they risked losing it.....and the post master MADE ME A COPY ANYWAY.

Logic, USPS has none.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #3113
MICKEY88
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
you would think they would allow you do make a copy if they risked losing it.....and the post master MADE ME A COPY ANYWAY.

Logic, USPS has none.
nope, they want you to buy a certified copy

Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #3114
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEY88 View Post
how was your weekend ?
A Bit busy... but what else is new. I'm on call for the next 2 weeks though, so I'm not going to get to make my NJ trips the next 2 weekends to see the GF. [She has extended family visiting too, so she can't make the trip to PA to visit either.]

Quote:
Nope. For one thing, As mentioned, the Post office is just acting as a middle man for the Passport people. They aren't really authorized or equipped to do much more than help you get all the forms and information you need sent to the appropriate department.

Also, The Passport people would need a certified copy of the Birth Certificate. They would have no way of knowing that a photocopy made by the post office was made by the post office and not joe schmoe at home.

Certified Copies of your Birth Certificate can only be obtained from a couple locations. (It can vary depending upon where you live). Usually it's going to be places like the Department of Health, County Records Department, or Courthouse for the county where you were born, or sometimes you can also get them from your birth hospital or state Department of Health or Records Departments.

Of course... since people are so mobile these days, there are some services like VitalChek which will assist you in obtaining a valid certified copy of your Birth Certificate [Or other Documents] from out-of-state agencies.... but of course, there are additional fees involved for their services. (I had to use them once to get a copy of my Birth Certificate for my Employer since I had lost mine during a move, and am now located in PA and not the Atlanta area where I was born.)

Quote:

Logic, USPS has none.
Remember too... the USPS isn't really an official government agency in the same way as the State Department, IRS, DOT, Or any number of other Government agencies.

While it is tied into the Government, it functions more like a Private company than a Government agency. It's actually that unique arrangement that's causing it so much trouble these days since they have to receive government approval to get a lot of things done, or have obligations forced upon them by the Government.... Yet they don't get any actual government funding.

Honestly, since you didn't get a certified copy for your passport application, I'd be thankful they made a photocopy for you before sending the original with your application. They weren't required to do so, but while you can't do much with the photocopy, The information on it could come in handy when attempting to locate the correct agency or verifying information needed in order to order some additional Certified copies. [you can even get them wallet sized now. ]

Cost for certified copies can vary depending upon the agency. it could be as cheap at $10 with discounts for 'additional copies' purchased at the same time, up to over $30-40 if you have to use a 3rd party to assist you in getting it.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #3115
charliebrown

i know that the USPS is acting like a middle man, but all they would have to do is use a special watermark on a scanned birth certificate on an email, sent by a registered USPS computer.......problem solved.

and im not concerned about getting another one.....until they loose mine.

ps.
Even though they aren't making the passport, they should have better communication with the people who do.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #3116
DCTooTall

Quote:
i know that the USPS is acting like a middle man, but all they would have to do is use a special watermark on a scanned birth certificate on an email, sent by a registered USPS computer.......problem solved.

ps.
Even though they aren't making the passport, they should have better communication with the people who do.
Somehow I have a hard time picturing the USPS, in it's current financial situation, taking the time or effort to either train, or perform the needed background and security checks on their relatively low-paid front counter personell in every post-office around the country on how to properly verify the security on the birth certificates to verify they are authentic and then send that confirmation to the State Department.

There are many different security features built into the physical document (from the raised seals, to watermarks, color shifting inks,and even the paper it's printed on, etc), and every locality in the country could in theory utilize different combinations of those security features. Even if they instituted a program that said the state department could verify the image came from an authorized Post Office, They still wouldn't have the physical document to verify it's authenticity.

Considering a Passport is excepted as legal ID on a much larger scale than a simple drivers license, It's much more important for them to ensure that they are not being issued falsely.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #3117
charliebrown

Quote:
Somehow I have a hard time picturing the USPS, in it's current financial situation, taking the time or effort to either train, or perform the needed background and security checks on their relatively low-paid front counter personell in every post-office around the country on how to properly verify the security on the birth certificates to verify they are authentic and then send that confirmation to the State Department.

There are many different security features built into the physical document (from the raised seals, to watermarks, color shifting inks,and even the paper it's printed on, etc), and every locality in the country could in theory utilize different combinations of those security features. Even if they instituted a program that said the state department could verify the image came from an authorized Post Office, They still wouldn't have the physical document to verify it's authenticity.

Considering a Passport is excepted as legal ID on a much larger scale than a simple drivers license, It's much more important for them to ensure that they are not being issued falsely.

that would be fine.....however, my birth certificate is NOT insured. If they loose it, they said they WILL NOT pay for it, whch i find to be (insert expletives here).

Maybe, if they took the time to train the employees (you know TO ORDER STAMPS WHEN YOU ARE RUNNING LOW, AND TO NOT BE RUDE WHEN I ASK FOR STAMPS, AND YOU ARE OUT), they wouldn't face this difficult financial situation.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #3118
PolyndianPrincessJes
Alias: TotalSnowWhite
I'm a Snapfish/Shutterfly/Winkflash addict
Yes, you totally can do that, and I do!!!

So, I've been on my semi-solo for three days...and haven't been solo. I think tomorrow will be a solo day, though. Hoping to pop into the spa or book a mani/pedi at least, then maybe head to Epcot. Really enjoying this trip despite missing the fam.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #3119
MICKEY88
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
that would be fine.....however, my birth certificate is NOT insured. If they loose it, they said they WILL NOT pay for it, whch i find to be (insert expletives here).

Maybe, if they took the time to train the employees (you know TO ORDER STAMPS WHEN YOU ARE RUNNING LOW, AND TO NOT BE RUDE WHEN I ASK FOR STAMPS, AND YOU ARE OUT), they wouldn't face this difficult financial situation.
umm why didn't you insure it if you are so certain they will lose it

Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #3120
1Grumpy9
DIS Veteran

Quote:

ps.
I can say the two times I have sent things to Philly for either my initial Passport or my renewal I have never had a problem. When I got my renewal, it was in 2006 and I had to send back my old one (which I was afraid they were going to keep and I wanted the stamps that were in it from Europe), but in 4 weeks I got my renewed passport with my old one also.

This reminds me I need to check what date the passport expires so I know to keep that in my calendar so it doesn't run out.

We Can't Be Stuck on the Stairs Again TR
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: