Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #2281
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Well, there go my summer trips to Disneyland. I won't be going to the Veteran's Job Expo now. I got back from Afghanistan in December with the National Guard, and some stuff has changed for my unit. My commander is now in charge of the search and extraction team for the California NG emergency services, which is very cool for him, and it will be headquartered at my armory. They had a guy lined up to do a 3 year state active duty tour for the administrative portion, payroll, personnel etc, but yesterday he decided not to take the job. He has done the job before in the US (where I've only done it overseas), but for some reason he backed out.

As I was leaving drill yesterday my section sergeant had the other guy's application in hand and we talked about him backing out, I said that I wouldn't mind doing it even if it meant that I had to move. My boss turned to my commander and told him that he had another candidate, me, and the CO flipped out. He said he didn't know why they hadn't asked me earlier and that I'd be perfect for it. I'm pretty sure I'll get a promotion with the job, and housing and sustenance allowance. With all of the pay and allowances (not including medical) I'll make almost twice what I'd make starting out anywhere else without a degree already in hand. So I'm taking it. All I have to do is fill out the application (a formality) and take a PT test (you don't take them overseas and I haven't had a chance since we've been back). So barring unforeseen circumstances I could be employed within the next couple of weeks. Yay! I may still be able to do a couple of trips because we accrue 30 days of leave per year, so my AP won't be wasted.

I may still try to go in July as well, I'd have to take 4 days off, but I might have that much accrued by then, I may even still have a little bit on the books. We'll see!

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #2282
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiesfeld07 View Post
Hey everyone!
How's it going?
Trying to join into the conversation!
I'm heading down to WDW in 10 days for some teaching interviews! I'm hoping I get a job!
Good luck to everyone who is interviewing!
Just realized today that I leave in 10 days as well!! soooooooo can't wait!
good luch with the interviews, how awesome would it be to teach so close to the Mouse!?!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #2283
lthiesfeld07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDiva View Post
good luch with the interviews, how awesome would it be to teach so close to the Mouse!?!!

Thanks! Are you going to be in the parks? I'd love to meet up for an attraction or something if you'll be around!

I'm REALLY hoping my interviews go well. I'd like to move to Orlando this summer!
1997- Dixie Landings * 2002- ASMo * Aug 2011- Off-site Jan 2012- CBR * April 2012- OKW *June 2012- ASMu *September 2012- Pop/Kidani *March 2013- ASMu/Kidani *July 2013 AEP- CSR/Contemporary *October 2013- ASMu/Contemporary *December 2013- POR June 2014 Engagement Trip- AKL-Jambo

Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #2284
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Hey everyone!
How's it going?
Trying to join into the conversation!
I'm heading down to WDW in 10 days for some teaching interviews! I'm hoping I get a job!
Good luck to everyone who is interviewing!
Consider the Conversation successfully joined!

to the group! Feel free to pull up a chair or stool and order up a drink. The only advice is to stay away from the rum or risk a 's wrath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoMama View Post
Well, there go my summer trips to Disneyland. I won't be going to the Veteran's Job Expo now. I got back from Afghanistan in December with the National Guard, and some stuff has changed for my unit. My commander is now in charge of the search and extraction team for the California NG emergency services, which is very cool for him, and it will be headquartered at my armory. They had a guy lined up to do a 3 year state active duty tour for the administrative portion, payroll, personnel etc, but yesterday he decided not to take the job. He has done the job before in the US (where I've only done it overseas), but for some reason he backed out.

As I was leaving drill yesterday my section sergeant had the other guy's application in hand and we talked about him backing out, I said that I wouldn't mind doing it even if it meant that I had to move. My boss turned to my commander and told him that he had another candidate, me, and the CO flipped out. He said he didn't know why they hadn't asked me earlier and that I'd be perfect for it. I'm pretty sure I'll get a promotion with the job, and housing and sustenance allowance. With all of the pay and allowances (not including medical) I'll make almost twice what I'd make starting out anywhere else without a degree already in hand. So I'm taking it. All I have to do is fill out the application (a formality) and take a PT test (you don't take them overseas and I haven't had a chance since we've been back). So barring unforeseen circumstances I could be employed within the next couple of weeks. Yay! I may still be able to do a couple of trips because we accrue 30 days of leave per year, so my AP won't be wasted.

I may still try to go in July as well, I'd have to take 4 days off, but I might have that much accrued by then, I may even still have a little bit on the books. We'll see!

congrats!

Quote:

Lousy.... then you'd never be able to get any work done prepping the classes because you'd always be at the parks.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #2285
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:
Thanks! Are you going to be in the parks? I'd love to meet up for an attraction or something if you'll be around!

I'm REALLY hoping my interviews go well. I'd like to move to Orlando this summer!
I don't hit the parks until 4/30, I'll be with my bffs at a bodybuilding competition all day Saturday and some bff bonding on Sunday. how long will you be there?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #2286
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am so jealous! I want to go back now too!

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #2287
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Total geek

ok, so since it will be my second last night of vacation I decided to be a total geek.
I will be going to see the midnight showing of .......wait for it......The Avengers on May 4th.
I figured since I was down there, why not see it where it will be most appreciated. DC, I know you would so go with me if you were in Orlando...I'll take pictures of the marquee just for you!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #2288
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Quote:
ok, so since it will be my second last night of vacation I decided to be a total geek.
I will be going to see the midnight showing of .......wait for it......The Avengers on May 4th.
I figured since I was down there, why not see it where it will be most appreciated. DC, I know you would so go with me if you were in Orlando...I'll take pictures of the marquee just for you!
Make sure you hang around for the credits. Like all Marvel movies, they throw the best teases in at the end. I'm not giving any spoilers, but the rumors are pointing to two great reveals ... one mid-credit, and one at the end of the credits.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Old 04-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #2289
ahoff
DIS Veteran

Know what today is? It's 420 day!

And it is almost 5 o'clock here. Have a great weekend!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #2290
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Easier said the done. I have no problems moving. It's the being able to afford to live after the move that would be the problem.
I will say that living in Orlando is not all that. Since I live in Orlando and don't vacation there, I don't get a group of days off to enjoy visiting with friends. Its different from when I traveled there.

Now I am living in Clearwater beach so I am making Orlando a vacation destination once again. In October when everyone is here I am taking a long weekend and staying close by. Its only an hour and a half away so I have my car, but I get to stay in a hotel close by. Since Tony will be working for Loews Hotel Group, I will probably be staying on site at Universal (cause their hotels are Loews group), but its close and I have a car. Sweet. It will be nice to call it a vacation, finally.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #2291
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
Make sure you hang around for the credits. Like all Marvel movies, they throw the best teases in at the end. I'm not giving any spoilers, but the rumors are pointing to two great reveals ... one mid-credit, and one at the end of the credits.
I never leave until the credits roll completely...I've seen the best parts of the movie then. I have my Godchildren trained to stay to watch because they know the drill...plus it lets all the other people get out of the parking lot first

Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #2292
lthiesfeld07
Mouseketeer

Hope everyone had a good weekend!!

I've been at a dance competition all weekend. My dancers are doing great!

Anyways, I leave on Thursday for Orlando! I'll be in Epcot on Thursday and MK on Friday. I'm staying at OKW renting DVC points. I'm so excited!

If anyone is going to be around, send me a message!
1997- Dixie Landings * 2002- ASMo * Aug 2011- Off-site Jan 2012- CBR * April 2012- OKW *June 2012- ASMu *September 2012- Pop/Kidani *March 2013- ASMu/Kidani *July 2013 AEP- CSR/Contemporary *October 2013- ASMu/Contemporary *December 2013- POR June 2014 Engagement Trip- AKL-Jambo

Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #2293
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
I'd totally go. I actually saw Wall-E down at DTD on opening weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse.darcy View Post
I will say that living in Orlando is not all that. Since I live in Orlando and don't vacation there, I don't get a group of days off to enjoy visiting with friends. Its different from when I traveled there.

Now I am living in Clearwater beach so I am making Orlando a vacation destination once again. In October when everyone is here I am taking a long weekend and staying close by. Its only an hour and a half away so I have my car, but I get to stay in a hotel close by. Since Tony will be working for Loews Hotel Group, I will probably be staying on site at Universal (cause their hotels are Loews group), but its close and I have a car. Sweet. It will be nice to call it a vacation, finally.
That's kinda point of the issue with my being able to afford to live there. even if I could find a job, it'd be SOOOOoooo hard to be motivated to go to work.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #2294
erinscreen
Mouseketeer

Hey people--I haven't been here in a long time. Hope all is well! Just wanted to say hi
Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #2295
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
That's kinda point of the issue with my being able to afford to live there. even if I could find a job, it'd be SOOOOoooo hard to be motivated to go to work.
Oh I totally get the argument. Its really hard when you have friends in town and you can't get out of work.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: