Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
OziJo
Mouseketeer

We’re Coming all the way from the Land Down Under! Jan 2012 PTR

114 Days to Go
Hi everybody in Dis Land. Just call me Jo! I’ve used these boards to help plan and book my trip but I’ve only just started reading PTR and TR’s as I wait for the days to go by before we head off. I’ve replied to some and have been inspired to start my own.

My family think I’m a little crazy as I tend to relate everything now to our WDW trip. For example when I try to get DD3 out of bed in the morning I say to her, “Get up now lazy. What if you sleep in when we are in WDW. We’re not waiting for you. We’ll be on that bus and gone if you don’t get a move on!” She just looks at me as if to say, “Like I won’t get up then. Geez mum!!” I also said to her the other day as we were walking back to our car and she was dragging her feet, ”We will be doing a lot more walking in WDW so get used to it”. She said “come on mum that’s different there’s fun things to look at!”

The other day out of the blue I said. “At Trails End we can get Mickey Waffles!” DH rolled his eyes but DD2 said: drool:Mickey waffles:drool:

I’m the kind of person who observes people and wonders, “What’s their story?” Now after reading all the wonderful stories here on the Dis Boards I will be checking out all the people enjoying the parks and know that they too have a unique and beautiful tale to tell. So if you are in WDW in January and you see some strange women looking at your family and smiling it might be me thinking "I know
they have a great story to tell!"

Anyway with this first post I will introduce my family. Then next time I will give a brief run down on what I’ve planned so far.

So here’s my “cast of characters” as you all say around here:

DD1, Me, DD2, DD3 & DH Our 3 DD's

First up DH and Me. We’ve been married 21 years. We have always loved to travel and have been lucky in the past, before kids, to take advantage of the fact that we both come from Airline families. We traveled to Europe twice BK with a stop over in Disneyland on the way home in 93. We had our DD1 on board as an unknown passenger.

Anyway DH, Mark, is a Financial Services Product Manager. He earns all the money. He also loves sport and coaches DD3’s soccer team as well as his nephews cricket team. He’s a real laid back type of guy…except when his footy team loses.

I am a qualified English/History Teacher who taught for 10 years but I have been a stay at home mum for the past 10 yrs. Sometimes I itch to get back into paid work but I’ve found plenty to do these past years with volunteering to tutor at my kids primary school, running the book club for a time and working (for a bit of pocket money) as assistant canteen manager of my kids Primary School.

So to my DD’s. First up they all love Disney Channel, Dr Who and Harry Potter. DD1, Caitlin, was a Disney kid before she was even born and remains so to this day. She is 18 years old and an absolute Angel hence I chose
to represent her. She studied tap, modern and jazz as well as singing performing in numerous group and solo eisteddfods from the age of 6 to 13. She gave it up to concentrate on singing playing the guitar and performing in school and our local musical society musicals. She has performed in Alice In Wonderland, Oliver, Little Shop of Horrors, Footloose and High School Musical. She is currently studying for a double University degree in Media and Communications (Journalism) and Creative Arts (Creative Writing). Writing has been a passion of hers for a long and she wants to combine it with her love of the Theater by writing screenplays.

Like all my girls she has been a Disney Channel fan for years. She was obsessed by HSM and we were lucky enough to see the live street show in California Adventure Park back in 09. She also went on a tour with her dance school to Disneyland in 2002. They performed in one of the Pavilions in Disneyland and in CAP as well as in Honolulu. My mum went with her that time, as we couldn’t afford to all go. So this will be her third Disney trip. She is a lucky DD!!

DD2, Clair, 15 years old and thinks she’s pretty
Well she’s really a self-confessed nerd but nerds are cool you know! She’s funny. Has the same sense of humour as her dad and is really smart when she puts her mind to it. She has been a member of the School based State Dance Companies since she was in grade 5. Last year she got into the Senior Company 2 years earlier than most. They are always out of school performing. She has studied tap, jazz, classical, modern and contemporary since she was 4 and is a natural. She now does 12 hours a week of dancing plus eisteddfods and other performances.

Lately she has been working on choreography and if she goes anywhere with her dance it may be down this path.

DD3, Hannah,
13years old and is the brains of the family. She is a maths wiz who has been top in her year in maths since she was in kindergarten. Now in grade 8 she is working hard to maintain that position against stiff competition but she is a determined little thing. She also dances having started at 3! She wasn’t happy until she followed in her sisters’ footsteps!! She also plays soccer. A consolation for dad who missed out on having a son and gets bored at eisteddfods so I won’t torture him and make him attend.

Wow I’ve written a lot haven’t I. if any one reads this I thank you for your perseverance. I don’t feel too bad about sharing my story as I have read a lot of stories on the Dis Boards and have loved reading them all. Tomorrow I will come back and write about what I've planned so far.

Thanks for reading!!

Wonderful time at Fort wilderness- A mini TR with Pictures

My Jan 2012 PTR. We Are Coming from the Land Down Under!

Jan 2012 WDW Fort Wilderness Cabins DH DD1/18 DD2/15 DD3/13 and Me
2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.

Last edited by OziJo; 09-14-2011 at 01:32 AM.
OziJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Chapter Links:
Introducing Us!!
Genesis of The Plan...
The Plan.
Free DDP
Obsessed about the weather much?!
QANTAS aaaargh and the Great Bikini Dilemma
90 Days to Go and it's Discount Time
Still so Much to Do and Can we Live Without a Computer for 3 Weeks?
Universal Tix and Hire Cars
3 Things I Learn't While
Toques and Beanies and Garden Grocer
So Much to do so Little Time!
Undercover Tourist and Offsite Touring Logistics.
To KSC or Not to KSC? And Outlet Stores Open til Late
Shopping In Waikiki Too
Last Night I had the Strangest Dream. A DR.

Our 3 DD's and me at Disneyland 2009
My Favourite Ride

Hannah and Clair on Sydney Harbour-

2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.

Last edited by OziJo; 11-02-2011 at 09:02 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
OziJo
Mouseketeer

113 days to Go
(I did some editing of above posts.
Today I am going to play with some pretty colours.)

Now I have raved about my family it's time to get down to business.

These are our plans so far. I have copied this with some editing from another one of my posts about the free DDP:

About a month ago DH and I went out to a rare dinner without the kids and he told me I could start planning another trip. This time we would be going to WDW with side trips to Potter World then 10 nights in Honolulu on the way home. I was shocked that we could afford it and so excited to be planning another trip. I jumped straight on the Internet.

We chose January because that is the only time we could get 3 weeks holidays for the kids from school, as it is our Christmas/summer break. It’s also easier for DH to get holidays from work.

I first booked our flights. We wanted to spend 10 days in WDW and 10 days in Honolulu with a few days to recover before the kids went back to school on the 31st of Jan. So we booked flights out on the 4th and returning on the 26th. We gain a day going then lose it again on the way back.

We then booked our Honolulu accommodation because I remembered from the last time we went how hard it was to get an apartment to sleep 5 with a kitchen. I lucked out there and found wonderful accommodation right on the beach at a reasonable price.

Then I set my sights on WDW working backwards from the dates we had booked in Honolulu. I found the official site and started reading and playing around with packages. I read about the DDP but decided it wasn’t worth it for us as we would eat breakfast in our room and wouldn’t stop for TS meals every day. We picked FW Cabins as an ideal place for us to stay. We love the idea of a Cabin in the woods and being a little out of the hustle and bustle of the other resorts. It was also the best value for the 5 of us and with the kitchen we had the option of having meals in our room when we wanted.

I had our dates and ticket/accommodation package all worked out and was almost ready to book it myself when I decided to e-mail one of the Disney Travel Planners from Dreams Unlimited. I am so glad I did! She gave me a heads up on free dining from the 8th of Jan. I then panicked as we would be arriving on the 4th and thought we would have to stay off site for the first few days. As we were going to Potter World and Kennedy Space Centre any way we could stay off site then check into WDW on the 8th. But we really wanted to take advantage of the DME and I had done some research and sums and found that the 11 nights in the cabins was the best for us. Then our TP suggested we split our reservation. We would have 3 days to travel offsite hiring a car for that time and recheck in on the 8th with 6 day PH passes and free DDP. Brilliant!

Last edited by OziJo; 09-13-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
OziJo
Mouseketeer

So here is a rundown of our WDW itinerary:
Jan 4th to Jan 15

Day 1- Arrive 9pm. Take DME to Fort Wilderness. Check in. Sleep

Day 2- Sleep in. Take a walk to Trails End for Breakfast. Pick up hire car. Go and buy groceries. Spend rest of day exploring FW

Day 3- Breakfast in Cabin. Head out to Universal/Potter World. Lunch at Universal. Shopping Outlets and dinner on way back.

Day 4- Breakfast in Cabin. Visit Kennedy Space Centre. Lunch at Kennedy. Dinner on way back.

Day 5- Breakfast in cabin. Recheck in. Revisit Potter World. Lunch at Potter World. Dinner Hoop Dee Doo Revue 6:15pm.

Day 6- Breakfast in Cabin. Magic Kingdom. Lunch and dinner CS.

Day7- Breakfast in Cabin. Epcot. Lunch CS Dinner La Hacienda San Angel 6:30pm

Day 8- Breakfast in Cabin. Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Lunch and dinner CS.

Day 9- Light breakfast in Cabin. Magic Kingdom. Brunch at Crystal Palace 10:20pm. Afternoon Hollywood Studios. Dinner CS

Day 10- Breakfast in Cabin. Animal Kingdom. CS lunch. Artists Point dinner.

Day 11- Breakfast in Cabin. Epcot. CS lunch and dinner.

Day 12- Depart 9:20am flight.

Last edited by OziJo; 11-23-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
OziJo
Mouseketeer

112 Days to Go

(Copied again from my thread about Free DDP. Thought it would be a good idea to keep it all together)

(Suddenly) I found myself with all these free DDP TS credits up my sleeve. Getting my head around the fact that we could eat at some great restaurants for free (tips and the odd hard to pass up appetizer not withstanding) was strange. I know nothing is ever for free but it started to dawn on me that we would be saving hundreds!

I began to seriously look at where we would be eating always keeping in mind that we wanted a little flexibility. One of the reasons we had originally decided not to go with the DDP was because we didn’t want to be tied down to a TS meal everyday.

So what does Free Dining mean to us? Well we will save hundreds! We were always going to be eating CS during our park days. We were also going to do HDDR (though that was going to take a little convincing that it was worth the extra cost) and also probably 1 or 2 TS meals. So with 7days and 5 adults we would probably have spent at least $200 per day on eating out and that would be skimping! Even factoring tips and alcohol and the odd appetizer our savings are in the hundreds. The truth is we will now probably feel freer to have that second Margarita and let the kids buy that extra t-shirt so of course our true savings won’t be that much but we wont have to count the pennies- we can press a few more!
But it’s not just the savings. I have now made 4 ADR’s and all are experiences that are unique to WDW and the USA.

First up we are doing HDDR. Our DD’s are all dancers and performers and love a live show. A bucket of fried chicken and ribs won’t go amiss with my ravenous teenage DD’s. As I said I would probably have convinced DH that we should do this especially since we are staying at FW but he would have wanted it to be gosh damn, knee slappin’ good to be worth it. With FD- no worries mate!! (FD brings out the laid back Aussie in him)

Next we are doing something we might not have done with teenagers- a Crystal Palace Buffet breakfast. We will be eating breakfast in our cabin every morning but I decided with FD that one buffet breakfast would be great and Winnie the Pooh has always been a favourite of our girls. You should have seen their faces light up when I told them I had booked a character breakfast. It was such a thrill for me to see that my DD’s are still young at heart and DH thought it was a terrific idea too.

Our next ADR is Artist’s Point. I went through the menus and decided this was worth a try. A signature meal for all 5 of us is something we would not have done unless we had FD. I liked the idea that it was American Lodge fare with items such as Buffalo and Salmon. We will spend extra here as we might share a couple of appetizers (apparently the Portobello soup is good) and a nice bottle of wine will be needed to wash it all down.

Finally I decided to book Hacienda de San Angel. When we were in LA 3 years ago we had a fantastic Mexican meal. We had also eaten Mexican in Disneyland and it was all so much better than what we get in Sydney. So we wanted to add a Mexican meal. We will be staying in Epcot for Illuminations so I thought it would be a good idea to make an ADR.

For our other meals we will probably not need 5 CS credits per meal so with a bit of planning I might be able to make them cover the rest of our in park meals. We will also have 1 TS credit left to use for a walk up if we wish.

Last edited by OziJo; 09-13-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Is it too early to think about what to pack? What will the weather be like in January? Time for some research...

Liked this from tripadvisor:

If you spot a person wearing shorts in Orlando during January, chances are pretty good it's a tourist. Locals will be wearing long pants and maybe even a sweater or jacket. The good news is that even in the middle of an Orlando winter, the weather is pretty good--chilly to locals, but plenty warm to people who visit from cold weather climes.

I don't think this applies to us as the weather in Orlando in winter seems similar to winter in Sydney with Highs of 20C/68F and lows of 8C/48F. So long pants and layers will be in order.

Last edited by OziJo; 09-14-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
OziJo
Mouseketeer

111 Days to Go!

We will be packing shorts for Honolulu so looks like we will have to pack for all weather conditions. Shorts, tshirts, jeans, tracky dacks and sloppy joes (that's sweat pants and sweaters). Plus light weight jackets in case of rain or wind.

So I bought some new luggage the other day. Saw a sale at Strand Bags and and got 60% off 3 pieces of luggage! How can they do that! Obviously the price is way over inflated to start with. Oh well they got me to join their members club and I received a voucher for 30% off full price stuff. I will go back and buy document wallets and electrical adapter plugs and other travel stuff.

As we head into spring am planning on packing away some of our winter stuff straight into our new luggage.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
OziJo
Mouseketeer

110 Days to Go

A beautiful Spring Day here in Sydney. Just got DD2 off on the train for State Dance Fest. I will be taking DD3 in later then going to watch tonight. No Disney planning today...

Old 09-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
OziJo
Mouseketeer

109 Days to Go

Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
OziJo
Mouseketeer

108 Days to Go
107 Days to Go

Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
OziJo
Mouseketeer

106 days to Go!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
OziJo
Mouseketeer

105 Days to Go!
104 Days to Go!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
OziJo
Mouseketeer

103 Days to Go!
102 Days to Go!
101 Days To Go!
100 Days To Go!

Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
lisateaches
Mouseketeer

I am subscribing. So happy for you! AND JEALOUS! I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. I will one day
We will be in WDW January 8-14. We were there during this time frame last year and we had one day in shorts and the others in layers. Layers on in the morning, off in afternoon, back on in evening.
Here is a link to my TR from then. You will notice our clothing ( and the fact that I never finished the report )
2000 one day to MGM
2007- All Star Movie
2009-All Star Music
2011- Port Orleans French Quarter
2012- Port Orleans French Quarter
lisateaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
OziJo
Mouseketeer

99 Days to Go! Down to double figures!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisateaches View Post
I am subscribing. So happy for you! AND JEALOUS! I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. I will one day
We will be in WDW January 8-14. We were there during this time frame last year and we had one day in shorts and the others in layers. Layers on in the morning, off in afternoon, back on in evening.
Here is a link to my TR from then. You will notice our clothing ( and the fact that I never finished the report )
Wow thanks for subscribing Lisa. You're a teacher! I used to teach High School. I just started the process to become re-employed with the Department of Education. Since I've been away so long I'm no longer eligible to teach. I'm hoping to get back into some casual teaching by next year.

By the way your link doesn't appear. I'd love to read a trip report (even an unfinished one) from Jan last year.

I figured it would be layers. Now every time I get dressed or take the girls shopping I'm thinking they can wear this in Hawaii or I'll wear this in WDW. I want to buy some more walking shoes and want to get them now so I can wear them in but all the new season sandals are out. So then I want to buy new sandals to wear in Hawaii and because I need really good shoes for my crummy feet I have to pay big bucks for walkers and sandals. So I end up getting nothing for myself and spending all my money on the girls!

I will be doing a little work soon for my girls dance school. They pay me to do the hair for ballet exams. That money is going straight to the shoe shop!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: