DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
NewEnglandCamper
DIS Veteran

Does DVC include park tickets?

We took the DVC tour when we down at WDW last... now looking back I think everything is expensive.. dues, APR financing (11.75% when mortgages are going for under 5%), etc.

Is there any real benefit? Does it include Park tickets or park tickets at a discount...

Got to really think about this...
Spring 2010 - Tent Camping at Fort Wilderness
Fall 2009 - My 40 Birthday Celebration back at POR
Spring 2009 - Planned "the Girls" Spring Break Trip - Pop Century
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2006 - Port Orleans Riverside

NewEnglandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
thebigman65
Certified Disney Nut!

You can get a discount on an annual pass. I think that's about it.

AKL March 2009 Studio - Pop Century Christmas 09 - AKV March 2010 - AKV (F&W) Oct 2010 - AKV March 2011. - SSR Oct 2011. - AKL CL Feb 2012. - AKV Nov 2012. - AKL CL Mar 2013.
thebigman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
ses1230
DIS Veteran

No, no discounted park tickets, only on an AP as pp said.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandCamper View Post
We took the DVC tour when we down at WDW last... now looking back I think everything is expensive.. dues, APR financing (11.75% when mortgages are going for under 5%), etc.

Is there any real benefit? Does it include Park tickets or park tickets at a discount...

$100 off annual passes for immediate family living at the member's address.

The real benefit is to get deluxe accomodations at a discount over the term of the contract. It's alot of money at first but once you pay the original cost, it's just maintenance dues. I pay around $1300 a year in dues for 250 BWV points. I usually get a 1 bedroom and that goes for around $600 a night at full price. Depending on the time of year and resort, I can get a couple of 5 or 6 night trips on those points a year. I pay monthly, I think it's $111. So for that, I don't have to worry about paying for a room and I get a nice room.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I so wish that were true!!

I think a lot of people on the boards will tell you that the best DVC value is purchasing resale.

Then, if you visit WDW at least every other year, and like to stay in at least a moderate resort, and plan to do so for the foreseeable future, then DVC may be for you.

Always keep in mind that after purchasing DVC, and paying maintenance fees...you still need to pay for transportation, food, and souvenirs!

Others will say that DVC does not save you money, but does give you a more luxurious vacation. It is very tempting to get enough points to invite family, stay in larger accommodations, or visit more often.

We are guilty of staying more often!

Overall, there are a lot of resources about DVC on the internet. Do your homework, and make sure that it is the right decision for you and your family before you pull the trigger!

Just remember, Boardwalk Villas is the greatest DVC resort.
(To me anyway)
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
bonrea
Family-Above All Else In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
$100 off annual passes for immediate family living at the member's address.

The real benefit is to get deluxe accomodations at a discount over the term of the contract. It's alot of money at first but once you pay the original cost, it's just maintenance dues. I pay around $1300 a year in dues for 250 BWV points. I usually get a 1 bedroom and that goes for around $600 a night at full price. Depending on the time of year and resort, I can get a couple of 5 or 6 night trips on those points a year. I pay monthly, I think it's $111. So for that, I don't have to worry about paying for a room and I get a nice room.
I have to agree with DevvieB. The initial outlay of the cost is there and depending on which resort you buy into it costs more or less. The benefit is you get the deluxe accommodations and to us that is the best part.

We have also found a real trick that has worked for us for a few years now. We pay very little for our dues because we purchased extra points so we could have family and friends go with us. Let me tell ya, we have no shortage of family and friends wanting to go. When they go with us, they pay us a third of the actual cost (based on Disney’s own Website) of that room to stay in the DVC villas. So our dues are paid for us and we all benefit by having the deluxe upgraded room instead of the value resort room type.

So we pay $1200 per year in dues. We take a 7 night trip and stay in OKW and get a two bedroom. Our friends want to go. They pay us $1200. We get the two bedroom and they stay with us or we get a one bedroom for us and a studio for them. The cost of a two bedroom for 7 nights is $3700+ (depending on the time of year). They get to go to Disney and stay in a deluxe resort instead of the value resorts for $1200. Yes we paid the initial outlay but never pay another dime for the 50+ year contract. Sweet for both parties involved.

They ask us all the time what to do to get a great deal at WDW. We simply tell them the deal and they are all over it.
bonrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:

DVC is a timeshare. It is pre-paid deluxe accomodations that come with a discount on annual passes and the satisfaction of knowing you don't have to pay rack rates to stay onsite at Disney.

We own 250 points at SSR and our annual dues run just under $100 / month. We are a family of 3 and normally just use studios so we can get more nights / year. With good planning and a mix of "seasons" we have gotten as much as 21 nights / year in studios.

You wanna talk expensive? We are booked for 6 nights in a Lake View studio at Bay Lake Towers for spring break next year. I just went to the Disney.com website to price it out for our dates. Any guesses on how much a cash rack rate ressie in the same Lake View studio would run you?

How about $3,881. And that's JUST THE ROOM.

DVC is not inexpensive but nothing at Disney is cheap. When I price out cash rates for our trips I sure am glad I don't need to worry about paying for our accomodations. This is the only way we'd be able to go over & over.

(Look into other options outside of financing thru DVC like home equity lines that would have a much lower rate.)

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

Last edited by Anal Annie; 09-12-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
You wanna talk expensive? We are booked for 6 nights in a Lake View studio at Bay Lake Towers for spring break next year. I just went to the Disney.com website to price it out for our dates. Any guesses on how much a cash rack rate ressie in the same Lake View studio would run you?

How about $3,881. And that's JUST THE ROOM.

DVC is not inexpensive but nothing at Disney is cheap. When I price out cash rates for our trips I sure am glad I don't need to worry about paying for our accomodations. This is the only way we'd be able to go over & over.
SO true. Paying cash, even with Disney's discounts, there is no way I'd be able to take my kids to WDW about twice per year, one of those weeks always being over a holidays. Add to that the fact that we have balconies, beautiful, quiet grounds, Kitchen(ette)s and larger rooms than most of the deluxe resorts offer.

However, there is no way I'd pay Disney's current asking prices. Go resale if you're comfortable with the ups and downs. Fish around for a good mortgage rate - DVD has never been known to have great ones.

Also, I believe people need to rent a DVC accommodation to get the feel for it before buying. I rented twice, stayed at OKW, BWV, AKV, VWL and decided AKV was the way to go for me. Worth noting, reduced housekeeping seems to be a big challenge some need to overcome, by renting you get a feel for what it's like. And before it's asked, no, we don't get free dining.

Last edited by twinklebug; 09-11-2011 at 11:03 PM.
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Never ever purchase DVC for anything more than what is promised in your documents.

Perks such as the annual pass discount come and go.

And yes you are wise to look at the long term cost of having it for for a very long time.

It's not like purchasing a time share at the beach, going to Disney even if you have DVC is very expensive.

Tickets, food, transportation to Orlando, all need to be considered as part of the cost.

I agree with Twinklebug, I would rent several times before purchasing.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you're going to go to WDW a lot, and you like staying in deluxe resorts, DVC may be worth it for you even without tickets or ticket discount (the AP discount doesn't hurt).

I bought so I could stay near Epcot for food and wine festival each year. Have done that for 9 years now. Now I do multiple weekends rather than stay for one stretch of time, except for one weekend at the Dolphin and one at Pop Century they are all DVC stays. I do have 10 nights at BCV in December though. I don't want to know what that would have cost now. I suppose if I hadn't bought in I could stay at Pop Century...but I get BCV. hello Epcot.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #11
mikeweider1
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Please do yourself a favor and look at buying resale. While there are some drawbacks (no booking Disney cruises or Adventures by Disney) the basic Disney World vacation perks are the same. You will save significant money buying resale that varies from resort to resort. Bay Lake Tower: $95 a point, Animal Kingdom: $70 a point. Those are big savings over disney direct and as long as you are ok with using them for Disney vacations it is, in my opinion, much smarter from a financial perspective. Your break even time moves up by quite a few years!

However, do yourself a favor like so many other people have said and do your homework on these boards and on the internet. It's a big decision and not one to be made lightly. We love DVC and have never looked back but I guarantee not everyone agrees...
June 2010 - Villas Wilderness Lodge September 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
June 2011 - Bay Lake Tower September 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
July 2011 - Paris Disneyland June 2014 - Old Key West
mikeweider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

The benefit is what you might save on lodging. DVC isn't a discount club, and while there are usually some small discounts offered to members by other divisions of Disney and other companies, NO discounts of any kind are included or promised in your contract.

DVC is a timeshare. You are buying the right to use points to stay at your home resort, subject to availability, for a set number of years. Everything else is subject to change.

Whether or not DVC will be a good value for you depends on how you want to vacation. If you're perfectly happy at value or moderate resorts, and aren't particularly interested in villa-style or deluxe accommodations, it's not going to save you any money, and will cost more than staying at a value or moderate.

If you're interested in the DVC resorts and their villas, want more space, separate bedrooms, kitchen facilities, that sort of thing, then DVC will save you money over the cost of booking those resorts and villas for cash.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
DHar
Mouseketeer

Quote:

i heard that accomodations may soon be considered a "perk" and may be taken away at anytime.......
DHar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Good one!!
When we bought in 1992, I believe we got free park passes for 10 years. That, of course, went by the boards...
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
The real benefit is to get deluxe accomodations at a discount over the term of the contract.
This, and only this. While the DVC AP discount is nice, it should be viewed strictly as icing, not cake.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: