Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #31
smiles33
DIS Veteran

After we did the PFF, I was in a better mood but still a bit annoyed. I decided to go check on SMGG again. Hooray! Got 3 FP for SMGG at 9:19 am while DH had the girls watch the Nemo subs float by. DD5 thought it was hilarious that the seagulls were calling out, "Mine! Mine! Mine!" like in Nemo.

Then we decided to just use our Autotopia FP but it was so empty the CM said we could keep them for later. It was fine, but not worth going on again so I kept them as souvenirs.

After Autotopia, we decided to head to Toontown, which opened at 9 am (1 hour after park opening). We stood in line for Minnie and Mickey. If you read my DH's TR linked to earlier here, you know that a CM loudly lectured him when he tried to step over a rope to take a photo of our girls with Minnie. "Excuse me, sir, are you trying to meet Minnie?!?!?"

The prior CM had told him he could stay in his ECV and just step up to take our photo, but Minnie and that CM went on a break and didn't let the new guy know. It was pretty funny!

The girls also loved Goofy's car outside his house:

We left DH and DD2 to play there while I took DD5 on Gadget's Go Coaster. DD5 likes roller coasters that aren't in caves/darkness so I knew she would like this one.

We also saw Pluto randomly out in Toontown and took photos with him:

After this, we headed over to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for DD5's 10:50 am appointment. We were early, so I left DD5 with DH and pushed DD2 in the stroller over to Haunted Mansion Holiday to get FP for me. I should also mention that we saw Ariel, Aurora, and I think Cinderella RIGHT outside the back of BBB by that side tunnel out of the castle. I almost called DH to tell him but I knew DD5's BBB appt. would start before her turn came up as there were at least 8 girls in line.

Once we got to New Orleans Square, it was CRAZY. There were a half dozen or more radio stations broadcasting live from a path in front of HMH so they had that area roped off. It also meant the FP return crowds, the standby crowds, and passersby had to squeeze in a very narrow strip.

I ended up parking the stroller near HMH and carrying DD2 to the FP machines way in the back. When I returned to look for my stroller, I discovered my stroller had been moved and it took a while to figure out where.

I also noticed the special Halloween souvenir Mickey Mouse ghost popcorn bucket.

Then we rushed back to BBB and saw DD5 transformed. I had hesitated to schedule BBB thinking it was too much, but DH encouraged me to go for it (as we don't know when we'll next be back). She LOVED the entire experience: makeup, fancy hair, NAIL POLISH. What's not to love? We saved money but bringing our own dress.

DH and I just sat and watched DD5's glowing smile and DD2 got to watch Princess and the Frog on our iPod Touch, so we were all happy!

Last edited by smiles33; 09-21-2011 at 11:21 PM.
smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #32
smiles33
DIS Veteran

When we were done with the BBB, we were starving and knew we wanted corn dogs from Corn Dog Castle at DCA. So we finally made our way over there. I have to say that the temporary entrance is a HUGE PAIN IN THE A--. It's very narrow and difficult to maneuver (they have CM trying to keep the incoming crowds on the left and the exiting crowds on the other side). Didn't make sense to me as Americans drive on the right side so shouldn't they have kept us on the right side of the street?

Anyhow, as we walked up the hill toward Corndog Castle, I grabbed FP for WOC (Yellow section) though I was unsure if we would make it. Then we got spicy corn dogs for DH and me and deep-fried cheese sticks for DDs. DD2 only really like the breading so I got to eat her cheese!

I grabbed FP for Goofy's Sky School at 12:13 (not realizing that we had walked RIGHT PAST Soarin' on our way in).

I also took DD5 on the Jumpin' Jellyfish (she loved this ride) and then we all went on the non-swinging Mickey's Fun Wheel. Here are DH and DD2 waiting in line, as he was able to drive his ECV all the way down the ramp to the loading area:

Then inside the non-swinging cages.

Then we took the girls back to HoJo to nap and I headed back to the parks by myself to single rider rides and use my FP! I headed right to SMGG and it was CLOSED AGAIN! Argh. I was so frustrated that I posted here on DISBoards about having 3 SMGG FP and not being able to ride it yet.

So I headed to HMH and LOVED it. Check out the FP return line!

Then I went to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad for a FP at 2:36.

I stopped by the Tiki Room waiting area and grabbed a Dole Whip float (YUMMY!). There was a huge line outside and I'm so glad I knew the DISBoards secret to walk into the waiting area. Then I went back to SMGG and finally got to ride it (inhaling my Dole Whip Float as I walked). HOORAY! It was awesome (and scary, that fire ghost thing is FREAKY!). I can't believe the parents who let REALLY young kids ride it. DD5 would have nightmares for months if I had let her on that ride.

After SMGG, I walked by and saw Buzz had a 5 or 10 minute line so I hopped on. It was fun and I used both guns at the same time (one in each hand) and still made it to Level 3 for both. I was proud of myself!

Throughout this time, I was texting DH to check in on our DDs. They were still napping at 3, which is why I headed to DCA after Buzz to grab FP for Soarin' and ride Little Mermaid. It was really cute. I tried to convince DD5 to go on it with me a few times (even showing her the YouTube video) but she was too scared of the dark rides so I didn't force her.

After LM, since DD2 woke up, I headed back to HoJo and we drove over to OC Poultry and Rotisserie on Ball Road, a Vietnamese restaurant with great rice plates and banh mi sandwiches. I posted a thread on Chowhound NorCal Hound w/kids heading to Disneyland: critique my plan asking for restaurant tips and Das Ubergeek gave us a great rec. I enjoyed the lemongrass beef the most, though their shredded chicken and sticky rice plate gets rave reviews.

After dinner (including some banh mi to go for breakfast the next morning), we spent the rest of the night at DCA. We took DDs to Bug's Life and rode Fliks Flyers and Heimlich's Chew Chew Train.

Here's DH and DD5 on Heimlich. It was nearing sunset and my iPhone is an earlier model without a flash so it's a little dark:

I also succumbed and bought 2 princess balloons for $15 total. YIKES.

Then we headed over toward WOC seating area. DD2 and DH hung out (him on his iPhone, her on the iPod Touch) while DD5 and I rode the Golden Zephyr, Jellyfish again, Goofy's Sky School (which DD5 realized she LOVED and kept saying, "This is AWESOME! This is AWESOME" at every turn), and then settled in for our WOC seating when folks started lining up around 7:45.

Since DH was in his ECV, they let us into the guests with disabilities section. Right behind the circle hub is a roped off section with benches. While DH entertained both girls, I ran to ride Soarin, which I thought was amazing! I had to run from Soarin' back to WOC as the FP line was longer than I had anticipated. I think I arrived back at 9:01 as the show started JUST as I got there. WOC was even MORE AMAZING than I anticipated and totally worth making time for early so you can get a good spot. This is the view we had before the show started (you can see the white ropes in front of us).

Per HydroGuy's map, we were just to the left of the number 6 on his map:

I have to say I was a bit annoyed that one family who rolled up in a wheelchair brought 10 (YES, TEN) people with them. They all took turns sitting in the wheelchair so I don't know if the woman who originally came in it has an actual disability. I also understand some Spanish and heard one family of 3 thank the family of 7 when that family left early for allowing them to tag along!!!! Anyway, whatever, it's not like they took our seats away as we were there first with DH's ECV and my huge double stroller. They were just a bit noisy and the kids kept jostling our double stroller where DD2 was sleeping.

Speaking of which, I'm glad I bought the noise-reducing earmuffs, as DD5 thought it was way too loud (we were right by the loudspeakers). I also put them on DD2 so she could sleep through it.

Note to parents of timid kids: DD5 was scared by the Lion King and Pirates of the Caribbean scenes. I didn't realize there were any scary scenes! I'll let Hydroguy know it may be worth adding to his Superthread that there are two scary/intense scenes towards the middle/later half of the show.

We stayed until the show ended and then it was a hellish nightmare trying to get out of the park. People did not let me stay near DH's ECV, as they kept cutting us off. I am sure it was frustrating for him trying to drive that thing amongst the hordes.

As we exited DCA and got into the Esplanade, the fireworks started. I wish we could've seen them but I know DD5 was exhausted and we had MM access the next day. DD2 woke up when the fireworks started (even with the headphones on!) and started fussing so I picked her up. I then walked from the Esplanade to HoJo carrying her in one arm and pushing the double stroller with my other. I was SO SORE the next morning.

Anyhow, that was the end of a very long and SUCCESSFUL day in the park. I went to bed that night thrilled we actually got to see WOC and had accomplished so much....

Last edited by smiles33; 09-23-2011 at 10:14 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #33
WendyWhy
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for the awesome trip report! Your DH's was great too! Love his psycho sound effect to describe your research efforts! I am an obsessive planner too...but for me it's a big part of the fun and excitement! We are in the SF Bay Area too (peninsula), also went to college in LA (GO Trojans!), and also bringing two kiddos (DS5 and DD1) - so I am definitely taking notes from your TR.
WendyWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #34
jlindley9
Permanecer sentados, por favor

Great report! Thank you for posting!

(me) (DW) (DD8) (DS3)

"Life is so much easier when you are nice to people"

-------------------------------------------------
jlindley9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #35
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyWhy View Post
Thank you so much for the awesome trip report! Your DH's was great too! Love his psycho sound effect to describe your research efforts! I am an obsessive planner too...but for me it's a big part of the fun and excitement! We are in the SF Bay Area too (peninsula), also went to college in LA (GO Trojans!), and also bringing two kiddos (DS5 and DD1) - so I am definitely taking notes from your TR.
Thanks for reading along! Yeah, he thinks I'm crazy obsessive, but DISBoarders know that proper planning means you have LOTS of options when things come up. Plus, you can also scout out the secret tips like that Dole Whip line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindley9 View Post
Great report! Thank you for posting!
Thank you for reading! I'll try to post our last day's report tonight. Magic Morning is AWESOME and not to be missed, no matter how exhausted you are. It was totally worth it!
Old 09-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #36
tffnyjean
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your report! I'm enjoying reading it.
tffnyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #37
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Look you have lots of readers now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
DAY 2: Our first full day

Cinderella, Snow White and Aurora were there.

I love these pics of the girls! In the one with Aurora, DD2 is holding her skirt just like a princess!

You are doing a great job with your TR! It seems like things were a bit crazy with the ECV, but I'm glad your DH decided to use it.

Your room sounds nice! I'm glad you enjoyed WOC - it seems like they put the wheelchair guests so far back - I would think you would be up near the preferred Dining guests

It is so fun to hear that DD5 enjoyed so many rides! You really got alot done in your first day!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #38
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

Great TR! Thanks for sharing!

Your girls are ADORABLE!! Love the hair!

I'm taking DD to BBB when we go in November. I was thinking about doing the entire package? Do you think it's worth it? I was also thinking about just bringing a dress with us and saving a little money, but it is a surprise for DD and I thought she would enjoy the entire experience by picking out her own dress and everything that comes with it. I've NEVER spent that kind of money on something like that. I don't think I spent that much money on my wedding dress.

But to see the look on her face would be priceless.

Thanks for showing the chart for seating at WOC. Will come in handy for us.

Look forward to reading more.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #39
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Look you have lots of readers now!

I love these pics of the girls! In the one with Aurora, DD2 is holding her skirt just like a princess!

You are doing a great job with your TR! It seems like things were a bit crazy with the ECV, but I'm glad your DH decided to use it.

Your room sounds nice! I'm glad you enjoyed WOC - it seems like they put the wheelchair guests so far back - I would think you would be up near the preferred Dining guests

It is so fun to hear that DD5 enjoyed so many rides! You really got alot done in your first day!
Thanks! I hadn't even noticed DD2 was holding her dress, too. How funny!

As for WOC, I think it's because they allowed guests with disabilities to sit, instead of stand. Plus, we only had FP for yellow, so maybe there is a separate section for those with disabilities who bought PD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyasmommy View Post
Great TR! Thanks for sharing!

Your girls are ADORABLE!! Love the hair!

I'm taking DD to BBB when we go in November. I was thinking about doing the entire package? Do you think it's worth it? I was also thinking about just bringing a dress with us and saving a little money, but it is a surprise for DD and I thought she would enjoy the entire experience by picking out her own dress and everything that comes with it. I've NEVER spent that kind of money on something like that. I don't think I spent that much money on my wedding dress.

But to see the look on her face would be priceless.

Thanks for showing the chart for seating at WOC. Will come in handy for us.

Look forward to reading more.
Thanks for your kind compliments. Our girls loved everything at DLR and truly enjoyed themselves. DH and I still talk about the sheer joy on their faces--DLR is such a special place.

As for BBB, the full package is about $150 and includes a photo session, I think. I thought about it but DD5 already has 2 favorite princess dresses and I was reluctant to spend so much. She LOVED the nail polish and makeup (they even give you the makeup palette to take home as they open a new one for each princess). I'm sure those 2 experiences alone will thrill your DD (assuming she doesn't already get nail polish or has had makeup on for something like ballet).

Finally, the map for WOC seating isn't mine. It was made by Hydroguy and you really should read his amazing WOC thread here!

Last edited by smiles33; 09-21-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #40
smiles33
DIS Veteran

DAY 3: OUR LAST DAY AND MAGIC MORNING
I was exhausted after WOC. I debated not even setting my alarm for Magic Morning but ultimately decided that I would set it, and if I hurt too much, I'd just go back to sleep. DH and I already decided that DDs really needed to sleep in so it would be me alone or no one at all.

Everything hurt when I woke up the next morning. But I immediately thought, "I CAN DO THIS!" DH even brewed up a cup of coffee for me in the fancy Keurig machine HoJo provides and heated up a steak sandwich.

This is where I confess I have had coffee about 2 times since before I got pregnant with DD5. I just don't need it usually, but that morning, the coffee was like sweet nectar of the gods! It didn't hit me right away. In fact, I felt a little funny (physically drained but mentally wired) even after it finally hit me. Nonetheless, it was what I needed to get up and out the door.

Poor DH just got up with me since I can't ever manage to get up stealthily. I was out the door by 6:10 and at the security tent at 6:20...where there was not a single soul but one poor CM.

I even posted replies to a thread here on "What if I want to get there REALLY early?"

Then I decided to walk through the esplanade to check out the security line on the other side, stopping to take these photos:

It was killing me just standing there with no one around. The CM couldn't tell me when security would open and she eventually left when 3 security CM (in different uniforms) showed up. At 6:40 there were about 15 people behind me but security still hadn't opened for a 7 am Magic Morning. Then when I thought they were about to open, another security CM came over and called them to the side for a meeting.

They finally opened shortly after 6:45 and I walked briskly to turnstile #21. Several were open and all 15 people behind me got to the front or second in line at a turnstile. I'm so glad I didn't go to the turnstile all the way on the far right, as they actually delayed opening that turnstile by a good 5 minutes (I was inside the gate by the tunnel when I saw that it was STILL closed).

The lines from the DTD side were huge and I saw throngs of people speed walking toward the turnstiles. Some New Zealanders RAN in at a sprint. I knew they were from New Zealand because they ended up in line near me and someone asked them where they are from.

Everyone was getting impatient as the gates were still not open with 7 min to MM! Two CM were wiping down turnstiles with disinfectant. All of a sudden I hear a scream/squeal and turned to see a woman so excited she was screaming and jumping up and down. her was the first family chosen to do the countdown, with just 5 minutes or so to go.

When they finally opened up, I got my ticket scanned and walked VERY fast down Main Street. As we approached the area near Town Hall, a man started jogging so I decided I'd jog too. There were 3 of us moving VERY quickly and at the head of the group (with a large gap behind us). It's amazing how much ground you can cover when you're not pushing a double stroller with 72+ pounds of kids in it!

As we neared the area where there is usually a rope drop, all 3 of us slowed down to a fast walk. I feared a lecture from them but they just said to slow down! This is a little blurry as I didn't bother to stop walking to snap the photo!

The first 2 headed to Space Mountain/Star Tours, but I knew Fantasyland was my destination. I would ride all the dark rides DD5 refused to ride that I knew were slow loaders. Besides, I had already ridden ST and SMGG the day before!

But first, I stopped and asked the Photopass photographer to snap some shots of me in front of the empty castle!

She took 3 or 4 shots and I kept saying, "please hurry, I don't want anyone to get in the frame and I need to GO!" Finally, I broke away and jumped onto Peter Pan, the second boat to Never never land!

Then I walked briskly over onto Matterhorn, but stupidly walked ALL the way around the mountain to the Tomorrowland side. Oops. Lost precious minutes there.

After Matterhorn, I hopped onto Alice. Then I decided, what the heck, I'm going to go do the Nemo subs, even though I know others say it's a waste of MM because it can take 20 minutes. But there was no line and I really liked it!

By that time, I was ready to go to SMGG. The best part is that it was so empty, the CM let me ride TWICE in a row without even getting off. I snapped this photo of me at the TV monitors after the ride showing me all alone in my own car!

When I got off that second time, there were about 10 people in line but I figured I was done with SMGG and didn't need to go again. I headed off to ST to give it another chance a little bit before 8 am with no line at all. It was SO MUCH better the second time. I loved it! Then I headed to HMH and got a fast pass at 8:19 am and also walked right on.

Since the FP was for only 1 minute later, I was able to get my next FP at Indy at 8:35 with a 9:15 return.

I also decided to just single rider Indiana. I know DH hated it, but I figured, why not?

I don't think it was as bad as he thought, but it certainly isn't worth a 40+ minute wait in my mind. It's a jerky 4x4 ride in the dark with the Indy soundtrack music. I didn't bother using my FP for Indy later.

After Indy, I wanted to get a ST FP again but I had to wait until 9:15 am. While I was waiting for time to get my FP for ST, I rode Buzz again. This time I only used 1 gun but still only managed to get to Level 3. Darn!

At 9:15, I got my FP for ST with a 12:15 return time. Then I headed back to HoJo to pick up DH and the girls.

Last edited by smiles33; 09-22-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #41
todzwife
There's nothing worse than walking around with a wet butt

I'm really enjoying your TR!! Sounds like a great trip!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #42
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Thanks, todzwife! I also missed tffnyjean earlier. I really appreciate folks reading along with me as I know I'm a bit OCD on reporting so it's nice to know this isn't just for me.

OK, back to the TR! Once I went back and got them, we headed straight to DCA as we had a 11:40 reservation at Ariel's Grotto. This time, I picked up Soarin' FP right away.

It was 10:17 am so we just walked down toward Turtle Talk with Crush. It was so empty that everyone took up only the first row of seats. DDs seemed to enjoy "talking" with Crush. We saw the Toy Story zoetrope (very cool!) and watched the clips from various Disney movies while we waited for the next Animation Academy to start.

We were taught to draw Mickey Mouse in that Animation Academy and DH and DD5 loved it. DD2 had fun, too:

Needless to say, since she was on my lap, I didn't get a chance to draw Mickey. The funny thing is that DD2 has asked DH to draw Mickey another dozen or so times since then.

After Animation Academy, we walked by Tower of Terror where I picked up 3 FP and we wandered over to Ariel's Grotto. Duffy wasn't at his meet-n-greet but we got a family photo nearby with Mickey's Fun Wheel in the background:

I should note here that I did bring DD5's Cinderella dress but she decided she wanted to wear her Belle dress again. DD2 wore the Ariel nightgown dress I bought from Disney's clearance sale for about $5, which I thought was fitting since we were going to Ariel's Grottoe.

Then it was time to go in and wait for Ariel!

DD2 and DD5 loved Ariel. I was so surprised that DD2 ran right into Ariel's lap and climbed in! She's usually much more cautious around strangers.

The food itself was mediocre: at about $40/adult (after including tax and tip) and $20/child (though DD2 was free and kids 2 and under are free) I really expect better food. There was a triple tier of cheese/salami/crudite platter very ho hum, like something you might buy from your grocery store!), a plate with watermelon slices and jello/fruit things (aka "Jewels of the Sea"), and a green salad. There was also bread and some dipping sauces (ranch, pesto, and something else). For entrees, I had the tri-tip, DH had the seafood cioppino, and DD5 had the chicken skewers. They brought one meatball lollipop and about 1/2 cup of spaghetti for DD2. But the dessert platter was impressive (fresh berries, chocolate brownie, cheesecake tart, white chocolate shell, etc.). All in all, I've had MUCH better food at the dorm dining halls at UCLA!

The best part of the lunch was meeting the princesses, of course. We were lucky to have FOUR princesses (not including Ariel): Aurora, Snow White, Cinderella and Belle!

Last edited by smiles33; 09-22-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #43
smiles33
DIS Veteran

After Ariel's Grotto, we grabbed another set of Soarin FP before we went back to HoJo.

While I thought (for a second) I might stay and nap, I ended up heading back into the park. I should note that I had bad shin splints by this point, despite changing shoes every time I came back to the hotel to a different pair (Danskos, Sanuk flip flops, and Born sandals). Still, I persevered!

I headed back to the park around 1:50 and used my ST FP. Then I headed back into FL and rode the dark rides with short lines for nostalgia's sake: Snow White, Pinocchio, and It's a Small World. Luckily lines were between 10-20 minutes long, so not TOO bad. I could have squeeze in some of these during MM if I hadn't done Nemo, but I know Nemo lines can be even worse in the afternoon and I saw from Mousewait on Thursday and Friday that these 3 tended to have short lines.

They are definitely rides that are showing their age, but I still enjoyed myself. I texted DH afterward and both girls were still napping so I headed over to DCA and rode Little Mermaid (very cute!) and grabbed FP for Goofy's Sky School again so we could ride it when DD5 woke up, as DD5 LOVED that ride.

She still says that her absolute favorite part of the DLR trip was Goofy's Sky School--not meeting the princesses, Tinkerbell, or Rapunzel; not doing the BBB makeover; not watching the fantastic Soundsational parade. WOW, was that a surprise for us!

After Little Mermaid and grabbing the Goofy FP, I also rode Tower of Terror which was AWESOME! I loved that ride. I think it's better than SMGG and wish I had realized that earlier.

Anyhow, then I headed back again to pick DD5 up. DD2 was still sleeping so we decided DH would wait for her and then bring her over in his lap while driving the ECV. DD5 and I went straight to DCA where DD5 and I rode Goofy, grabbed another set of FP, rode Jellyfish, and then headed to the Aladdin show to stand in line at 5:45 for the 6:20 show. DH and DD2 met us there about 10 minutes later.

DH couldn't get in to where we were standing with his ECV (we were by the Hyperion Theater false front) so he left his ECV and walked with his cane. Bad move as the line was LONG and they didn't let us in until close to 6:20. Poor DH! Still, we got AWESOME seats. Second row of the mezzanine, right in the center of the stage and close enough to the railing that we saw everything clearly. We didn't have to turn around to see the elephant or camels/horses during a parade scene like those in the orchestra had to do. We didn't strain our necks looking up during the flying carpet scene.

The genie was HILARIOUS and I loved his pop culture references for the adults in the audience (e.g., rubbing his belly after doing the "Put a Ring On it" dance and remarking, "I even LOOK like Beyonce now!").

When Aladdin ended, we had to search high and low for DH's ECV, as CM had wheeled it into a stroller storage area. Oops!

We headed back to Goofy's Sky School as DD5 wanted to ride it AGAIN! Then we decided to use our Soarin' FP and DH went with DD5 on his third ride of the entire trip (ST, Indy, and Soarin). While DD2 and I were waiting for them, a nice young man and his girlfriend said hello and struck up a conversation with me. He mentioned that they were AP holders but had 20 minutes to wait to use their Soarin' FP and I offered to switch with him so he could have mine from earlier that morning and go on right away. He DECLINED because he didn't believe me that it was valid for use after the time listed. I told him I'd been doing it all trip and that it was legitimate. I couldn't believe an AP holder didn't know about using FP after the time slot! WOW. Anyhow, I think he thought I was weird as he then walked away to wait the next 15 minutes closer to the FP Return line. Oh well, his loss! I could have saved him 15 minutes of his life that he'll never get back.

When DD5 and DH returned, it turned out that DD5 loved it and wanted to do again. So I went with her right when they got back. Luckily, DD2 was in a good mood just waiting around, entertaining herself by eating snacks! DH ended up dancing with her later to keep her busy while waiting for us. I think it was at least a 10 minute wait even with FP!

Finally, we headed back to the room a little after 8 and we decided we needed dinner but were too tired to go to a regular sit-down dinner. Instead, I headed out to 5 Guys for burgers and fries. There's a location in Orange, but I was so sleep-deprived and entered Anaheim instead of Orange in the GPS and ended up driving up and down Katella looking for it. Finally, I realized I was in the wrong city and ended up at Five Guys ONE HOUR after I left HoJo (not the 15 minute drive I expected).

Sigh. The fries were worth it but I still like In-N-Out burgers better!

The next morning, we packed up and shared the reminder of a banh mi. We ended up stopping for an early brunch at Tita's Pupuseria off the 5 freeway in Button Willow. It was delicious, by the way, best pupusas I've had!

The girls were beat but actually didn't nap that long in the car:

We ended up letting them watch a movie for the last 2 hours of the drive as they were a little cranky and tired.

Overall, it was a FANTASTIC trip and I really want to thank everyone, especially Hydroguy, for all the fantastic tips as I planned this special family trip!

Last edited by smiles33; 09-22-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #44
smiles33
DIS Veteran

P.S. I think it's apropos that I finished my TR on my 35th birthday! DH was going to take me out for dinner, but we had to go to DD5's kindergarten open house and I REALLY wanted to finish this TR before I forget details...So we're going to wait until the weekend to celebrate with a nice dinner. Technically, we already celebrated as DLR was a GREAT birthday present! Happy birthday to me and hope you enjoyed reading this!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #45
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Woke up this morning and realized I should do a ride breakdown for each family member to see it all in one place! I'm not including shows like Aladdin or the MnGs like Pixie Hollow, Tangled, Princess Fantasy Faire, Mickey and Minnie in Toontown, etc. We also spent time at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique that could have been spent on rides. Still, I'm very pleased with what I was able to ride! I only regret not getting to try Toy Story Midway Mania. I guess if I hadn't ridden ST and SMGG so many times, I might have managed it but I really liked the FP system and didn't want to wait in line 40+ minute.

There's always next time!

DH:
- Dumbo
- Casey Jr. Train
- Star Tours
- Carousel
- Tea Cups
- Indiana Jones
- Autotopia
- Mickey's Fun Wheel (non-swinging)
- Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
- Soarin'