Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #46
DnA2010
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRoadAgain View Post
I can say that Castle Inn should stay as a "place-of-last-resort" (but it is very inexpensive and close if that is all you are looking at).

I really like to hear the comments of other DISers.
We stayed at the Castle Inn in January and were pleasantly surprised- the room was very spacious, we had a view of the TOT, the walk was quick and the hotel room was soooo clean- I am a clean freak and the place was cleaned and cleaned well- I remember I spilled a bit of oatmeal and picked up all the big pieces and some of the crumbs/dust was left on the couch/carpet- gone after house keeping! Beds were comfy- what more do you want
We got a great deal with Allegiant (3 of us flying and staying for under $500 for 3 nights total for flights and hotel) and I would stay there again

Wowzas!! DL Feb 2011 and then Orlando for 1st trip to WDW and Harry in March 2011...now back to work to save for our next trip!
DnA2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #47
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA2010 View Post
We stayed at the Castle Inn in January and were pleasantly surprised- the room was very spacious, we had a view of the TOT, the walk was quick and the hotel room was soooo clean- I am a clean freak and the place was cleaned and cleaned well- I remember I spilled a bit of oatmeal and picked up all the big pieces and some of the crumbs/dust was left on the couch/carpet- gone after house keeping! Beds were comfy- what more do you want
We got a great deal with Allegiant (3 of us flying and staying for under $500 for 3 nights total for flights and hotel) and I would stay there again
That is helpful to know. This is the second positive review I've seen about the Castle Inn. It may be a good indication that management has changed there.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #48
modmama
Mouseketeer

I notice a lot of people don't mention the Portofino Inn and Suites when talking about places within walking distance. We've stayed there the last two falls, and plan to stay there again this fall. The first year I was apprehensive as we didn't even bring a stroller and I had 2 four-year-olds, but the walk was short - about 10 minutes, and there weren't any complaints even on the way home from an open-to-close day at DL.

modmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #49
DlandAmanda
"Frying pans... who knew, right?"

Just wanted to give some love to the Alpine Inn. Trip Advisor #14 out of 106 hotels in Anaheim, tons of great reviews to show for it.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ia.html#REVIEW
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
DlandAmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #50
OnTheRoadAgain
DIS Veteran

I've updated the thread and added in the Portofino. Thank you modmama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmama View Post
I notice a lot of people don't mention the Portofino Inn and Suites when talking about places within walking distance. We've stayed there the last two falls, and plan to stay there again this fall. The first year I was apprehensive as we didn't even bring a stroller and I had 2 four-year-olds, but the walk was short - about 10 minutes, and there weren't any complaints even on the way home from an open-to-close day at DL.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #51
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmama View Post

We stayed there in Feb and didn't think it was a bad walk at all!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #52
Saylan
Frosty Princess

For Red Lion, it's worth noting that you can waive parking fees on request (since a lot of guests may not use cars). Wether it matters or not: fireworks view rooms are great.

Your list of amenities could also include free wired internet in addition to wifi (so helpful!) as well as iPod dock alarm clock/radios and high end electronics, nice pool and work out area.

The average price I saw was around 70-75 a night (we paid 73.50 for a premium king fireworks view room which is listed at around 100 on their website), so I would probably knock it down a bit on the OP just because the discounts are very easy to comeby for them.

Also it's not farther than Candy Cane Inn (less than half a block) so I wouldn't list it as 'a little farther' than a fair number on the list. It's closer than the Alpine if you factor in having to walk around the back side of he park and a much shorter walk than Hotel Menage which is also in the 'little farther' category.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #53
OnTheRoadAgain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylan View Post
For Red Lion, it's worth noting that you can waive parking fees on request (since a lot of guests may not use cars). Wether it matters or not: fireworks view rooms are great.

Your list of amenities could also include free wired internet in addition to wifi (so helpful!) as well as iPod dock alarm clock/radios and high end electronics, nice pool and work out area.

The average price I saw was around 70-75 a night (we paid 73.50 for a premium king fireworks view room which is listed at around 100 on their website), so I would probably knock it down a bit on the OP just because the discounts are very easy to comeby for them.

Also it's not farther than Candy Cane Inn (less than half a block) so I wouldn't list it as 'a little farther' than a fair number on the list. It's closer than the Alpine if you factor in having to walk around the back side of he park and a much shorter walk than Hotel Menage which is also in the 'little farther' category.
I added wired wi-fi and changed the price to $75. I chose the amenities most important to my family, but information on the pool, work-out room, and electronics is interesting. Many of these hotels have their own little perks, including strollers to rent, remodeled rooms, high-quality bedding, early check-in, separate living room, convenience store, etc. that is beyond the scope of the OP at the moment.

All of these hotels are an easy walk for many. I chose to use the hotels located in the yellow area of the map (link in OP) as "a little farther" (except Alpine Inn, which I labeled "a little farther") to keep it clear for me, but its really just a matter of a few minutes between all of these hotels.

Thank you for the input!

Last edited by OnTheRoadAgain; 09-14-2011 at 02:44 PM.
OnTheRoadAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #54
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Thanks for this thread - it has come in helpful while deciding where to stay.

So far I'm down to (in order of price for my dates):

Anaheim Hilton
Park Vue Inn
Hotel Menage
Candy Cane Inn

I don't see the Anaheim Hilton on your list though - maybe I just missed it?

Anyhow, thanks!

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #55
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito View Post
Thanks for this thread - it has come in helpful while deciding where to stay.

So far I'm down to (in order of price for my dates):

Anaheim Hilton
Park Vue Inn
Hotel Menage
Candy Cane Inn

I don't see the Anaheim Hilton on your list though - maybe I just missed it?

Anyhow, thanks!
At the Anaheim Hilton, make sure you add $20 a day for parking and if you use the internet $10 more.

For me, Hilton and Menage are too far to walk comfortably.

That said, we stay at the Hilton frequently, and usually book their "Early Bird Special" which is prepay and get 2 breakfasts, which are excellent.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #56
NewbieMouse
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if the Park Vue opens breakfast early on MM days?
Christmas 2012 - BWPPI for 3 days
July 2013 - Disneyland Paris @ Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest
Christmas 2013 - BWPPI for 3 days
Christmas 2014 - BWPPI for 3 days (but as always, crossing our fingers for GC PIN code or deal!)
NewbieMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #57
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

We love the Carousel and will be going back again in a couple months and look forward to our stay there. That said, the one hitch was that the rooms are small. Because of our family shape and size we had to get a roll away bed for DS and the room was simply not big enough to accommodate that comfortably for a week. It would have been tough with a crib, too. The beds were smallish and with the baby and I in one, DS (teen) and DH could not comfortably share the other. If you have two big kids they may not be able to share a bed and the rollaway in a standard room is a pain.

They DO offer a larger room and a number of suite options, though.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #58
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
That is helpful to know. This is the second positive review I've seen about the Castle Inn. It may be a good indication that management has changed there.
We honeymooned there in 2004 and had a great stay.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #59
JaibuJenn
Earning My Ears

This thread is great! I was interested in the Red Lion for I could get a great deal there with my AAA card. Was curious on distance though. Couldn't find it on the map (maybe I'm blind?) Reviews are so mixed on the place I would love reviews here. How far of a walk is it really? I've read anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes.

No kids, just me and the boyfriend.
JaibuJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #60
It'sKim
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieMouse View Post
Does anyone know if the Park Vue opens breakfast early on MM days?
The breakfast I believe is from 7am -10 am. They seem to try and make sure that people can eat before heading out. During the marathon they even did a special breakfast at 3 am so that those participating could eat if they wanted to. I thought that was a pretty nice touch.
It'sKim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: