Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
MicahMoo
Earning My Ears

Decrease Party Size

We were able to get a reservation we wanted but had to book it online as a party of 8 instead of our actual party size of 4. Can we call up and change the size or do we just show up and check-in as a party of 4?
MicahMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
mommyof3princess27
What we've got here is failure to communicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahMoo View Post
We were able to get a reservation we wanted but had to book it online as a party of 8 instead of our actual party size of 4. Can we call up and change the size or do we just show up and check-in as a party of 4?
The right thing to do would be to call and change it. I have shown up before with less ppl and it was fine. It shouldnt matter either way HTH!

Erin , DH and DD13 (KC) DD9(Court) and DD5(Moo) plus 2 and 1 chiweenie
Oct 2010 Poly CL 40% code, Dec 2011 POR w/ FDing, Nov 2012 POR RGR w/DxDP, 2014 POR RGR w/Free Dlx Dining
mommyof3princess27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

It depends on the restaurant. If you had to give your credit card info, you will be charged a no show fee for the missing 4 people. Otherwise you can explain at check in that you are short 4 guests.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
CariAnn
Earning My Ears

I went to Le Cellier with only two of us out of our four person ressie. They said they would seat us, but we had to wait for a two person table, which was going to be a MUCH longer wait than a four top. Luckily, the CM at the podium pointed out two people who had just tried to get a ressie and were denied. He said if we four wanted to eat together, he could seat us immediately.

I'm sure it all depends on the restaurant, the CM, and the crowd levels. With Le Cellier being so popular, I wouldn't be suprised if they were more strict than some others.
Nov 2009 - Boardwalk
Nov 2011 - Pop
CariAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

You can try to call up..but more than likely you will be told that they can't just change the size..that they have to cancel the first one and then make the second one...and that there are no ADR's available for a party of four.
While it is ok to show up usually and tell them that some of your party is sick or for some other reason could not show up, it isn't quite ethical (IMO) to intentionally take up a space for 8 that you know for a fact, at the time you make it, you will not use...
A table for 8 is hard to come by and I'm pretty sure there is a nice family out there that will appreciate you releasing the table you are not going to use.

The Whole Gang August 2014 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
mom2_3girls
Mouseketeer

when we went a few years back I called to make reservations for our family of 5 and the CM on the phone said there was only a table for 6 available and put our names down and told us to tell them someone in our party was unable to make it. I felt weird about it, but we did it...its only one less person though...not 4. I would keep trying to see if you could get a table of 4.

me : dh: dd (17) dd (11) former wish child dd (10)
2009 offsite, 2010 Disney Marathon/offsite
2011 Give Kids the World
2012 POP Century/CBR, 2013 BC/AKL, 2013 AoA/Disney Dream
mom2_3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

A party of 6 vs a party of 5 will still be seated at a 6 top table.

A party of 8 vs a party of 4 requires a different table top size. OP, you will be allowed to be seated with only 4 on an 8 reservation but you may have to wait some time as they will not seat you at the 8 top with only 4 of you dining. Depending on the CM and how cooperative they are, combined with the table layouts in whatever restaurant you are doing, you may be seated quickly or you may have a wait.

You cannot call and modify an 8 person reservation to a 4 person. That would require a cancellation and rebooking, and if there are no 4 tops available, you will lose your current reservation. So I'd keep the 8 top and be prepared to wait while they juggle tables in an attempt to accomodate your smaller party.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
goodtmz37
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
A party of 6 vs a party of 5 will still be seated at a 6 top table.

A party of 8 vs a party of 4 requires a different table top size. OP, you will be allowed to be seated with only 4 on an 8 reservation but you may have to wait some time as they will not seat you at the 8 top with only 4 of you dining. Depending on the CM and how cooperative they are, combined with the table layouts in whatever restaurant you are doing, you may be seated quickly or you may have a wait.

You cannot call and modify an 8 person reservation to a 4 person. That would require a cancellation and rebooking, and if there are no 4 tops available, you will lose your current reservation. So I'd keep the 8 top and be prepared to wait while they juggle tables in an attempt to accomodate your smaller party.
I'm sorry, but I disagree with this post. It is true that you will not be seated at an 8 top, but you will instead be considered a walk-up, and there is no guarantee that you will be seated if you show with 4. Your reservation does not reserve you 4 spots, but rather a table. All of the other 4 tops will be taken, so you will be considered a walk up.

It would be best for you to go ahead and drop your 8 top so that someone else can have it. You'll have better luck finding a ressie for 4 than you would trying your luck and walking up.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
mousefan1972
DIS Veteran

I guess I'm in the minority, but I can't believe the nerve of someone intentionally booking a table for twice the amount of people that they have in their party. Parties of 8 have a hard enough time getting the ADRs they want, and now a party of 4 selfishly takes a table they don't need because they didn't plan enough in advance to book a table for 4? Just another example of entitled behavior.
mousefan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
disneyfreak2127
Mouseketeer

Exclamation I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan1972 View Post
I guess I'm in the minority, but I can't believe the nerve of someone intentionally booking a table for twice the amount of people that they have in their party. Parties of 8 have a hard enough time getting the ADRs they want, and now a party of 4 selfishly takes a table they don't need because they didn't plan enough in advance to book a table for 4? Just another example of entitled behavior.
I would be mad if I knew that someone was "taking" my reservation for 8 with an intentional party of 4. Do the right thing! It's dinner at Disney, not the White House!

disneyfreak2127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
DisneyGayl
Earning My Ears

I decreased one of our ADRs for our Christmas trip this year from 16 to 8 people because 8 of us booked a CP dinner package and the other 8 people didn't want to do it.

I'm wondering now how the CM did that!

Gayl
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
HadesTX
Whoa. Is my hair out?

I called & changed a California Grill reservation from 4 to 2 with no problems. They didn't have to cancel it first.

WL 12/13
POR 9/11
POR 10/10
CBR 06/07
GF 02/98
Off site 7/87
HadesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: