Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #31
luvvwl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
Where are the pics, slacker?
Uh, they come AFTER the next installment?

Last edited by luvvwl; 09-22-2011 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Oh. Nevermind!!
luvvwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #32
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvvwl View Post
Uh, they come AFTER the next installment?
Uh, which is already up. . .duh. . .

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #33
luvvwl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The Dream Has Arrived

After posing for the obligatory boarding shot (did we even purchase that one?), we were announced aboard amid much applause and fanfare as befits the beautiful woman with whom I was traveling. Most of the ship's crew of 1500 were there, and we were showered with gold doubloons, and upgraded to the Walt stateroom. . .okay, at least 3 crewmembers were there and sunlight filtered down from the oversized portholes. . .and no upgrade. Actually, I find the little announcement ceremony rather endearing though I do wonder what the ship's officers who have that duty think of it. When we boarded, there were 6-8 of them clapping and one of them took us aside to explain things a little better, such as the fact our room would be available by 1:30, where to dine, etc.
We did not even buy that pic, lol. I think I had Ramona ala Real Housewives scary eyes in it or something....I think there were 8-10 crewmembers and as we walked past the reception line, one broke away to explain everything. Honestly, I wasn't paying all that much attention. A of all) because I had researched and explored every inch of the Dream for NEARLY AN ENTIRE YEAR and I ALREADY KNEW where I wanted lunch, that my room wouldn't be ready 'til after 1:30, yada, yada, yada. And. B of all) the atrium and just the general wonderment of being there might have been a teensy, tiny bit overwhelming. Just sayin'...

Quote:
During our two-hour wait for the stateroom to be available, we explored the ship a bit (I had been on the Wonder before while this was LOMF's first cruise of any sort), taking pictures, admiring the architecture & theming, locating the correct floor and hallway for our room, and just basking in the glow of finally being on our dream cruise. . .on the Dream.
It was A-MAZ-ING!!!!!

(note the AWESOME bag in this shot? And. I don't mean him, lolol!)

Quote:
Since we had only Mickey waffles and Starbucks coffee to sustain since early that morning, we made our way to Cabanas for lunch. The place is huge! We found a lovely window table (it was too hot outside since the ship wasn't moving), dropped our gear, and headed off to load our plates. The selections were numerous and appetizing--shrimp, crab (okay, the crab looked just so-so), salad fixings, pasta salads, fruit, wraps, soups, and more (I'm guessing luvvwl's memory of the offerings will be better than mine, just sayin').
Holy Crap!!! You forgot THE BEST PART!!!!!!!!

SUSHI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tons of other things, too. Always some kind of seafood, pasta, Asian selections...carving stations, the obligatory mac and cheese, fries, etc. And desserts, duh.

Oh, and did I mention the SUSHI?????

Hmmm... apparently we did not take ANY pics of the awesome sushi, but we DID get this, lolol!!!!

Quote:
I find it difficult to exactly put into words the overwhelming sense of wonderment (or should that be dream-ment? ) we felt sitting there, basking in the sun, gnoshing on lunch, and anticipating the cruise to come. We had been talking of going on a cruise for a long time; we had planned this cruise for nearly a year; and we had spent countless hours poring over menus, excursion descriptions, Navigators, and the DIS Cruise Line forum culling tidbits of information and stoking our desire to go to sea. More than that, this trip was a pinnacle (just one of many to come) of our separate paths to finding each other. For me, it was the slow dawning that this amazing woman was the perfect fit: patient, loving, sexy, full of grace--more than I'd ever come to believe was possible. We found each other later in life (ummm, not that we're old or anything), and this cruise represents just one of the many spectacular adventures we will share. But, I digress. . .
AAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!! How sweet is that????

Ummm, who are you again???

And. Another thing. When you say "we're old" you're speaking for yourself, right?
Quote:
After lunch, we explored a little more, but as the time grew nearer to 1:30, we found ourselves hanging out by the opening to our hallway, not unlike that old commercial with the woman standing at the window of a store mumbling, "Open, open, open. . ." Finally, way later than they'd said--I mean, it was at least 1:33!--we got to our room--8656. We had no luggage waiting for us (they did say that could arrive as late as 4:30), but the room was ready and gorgeous. It screamed, "You're here! WELCOME!" We checked to make sure everything was in working order--it was--stepped out on the verandah (it took luvvwl, ohhh, about 20 minutes to figure out how to open the door), and soaked up. . .the heat and humidity of the port. Honestly, it was so wonderful to be in the room we'd share the next few days and nights. We were "home."
Oh, it was soooo awesome!!!!

Last edited by luvvwl; 09-22-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: FINALLLLLLLLY!!!! Photobucket has NOT been my friend today!!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #34
luvvwl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Uh, which is already up. . .duh. . .
Uh, it wasn't when I posted that, Mr. TrickyPants...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #35
KweenofDis
Earning My Ears

You 2 are cracking me up. Love your styles. Can't wait to read/see more!!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #36
sleepydog25

Quote:
Uh, it wasn't when I posted that, Mr. TrickyPants...
Hey, she called me Mr. TrickyPants.....hubba, hubba....

Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #37
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Your back!!

Are you not the one that couldn't fit in the bath tub? DD painted your toenails?

I know a life time ago.

You two make a cute couple.

Are you sure she didn't have a suitcase full of shoes.

I do have a question.....I know you went to Remey so you dressed up but was there a formal night on the 4 day? I am going on the 5 day in Jan. Usually go on the 7 day with a formal night and was wondering if there is one on the shorter cruises.

Last edited by NAB; 09-22-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Or my memory maybe going and am thinking of other people...lol
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #38
sleepydog25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAB View Post
Your back!!

Are you not the one that couldn't fit in the bath tub? DD painted your toenails?

I know a life time ago.

You two make a cute couple.

Are you sure she didn't have a suitcase full of shoes.

I do have a question.....I know you went to Remey so you dressed up but was there a formal night on the 4 day? I am going on the 5 day in Jan. Usually go on the 7 day with a formal night and was wondering if there is one on the shorter cruises.
First, let me respond to the Remy question. I can attest as fact that there is no formal night on the 4-night cruise; I am uncertain as to the longer cruises, though for some reason I think they only exist on the 7-nights and longer ones. And. You MUST do Remy--it's mahhh-velous. . .

Yes! I'm ba-a-a-a-ck. . .and I am that man. . .he of the painted toenails. . .and the tub fit for a Smurf. . .and the crush on Ariel. In fact, though it's missing pictures, the old TR from my first cruise can still be found on the "all I got was a lousy t-shirt" link below. It's historical and occasionally hysterically funny, I like to think. I've moved on since that time, though I still live in the same general area. My daughter is now 11, has been on a cruise of her own with her mom (to whom I'm no longer married), and we're as close as we ever were. Good memory, NAB!!

Yes-s-s-s-s-s, LOMF does love her shoes, though in this particular case, she didn't bring a whole suitcase of them. . .we brought wine, instead! However, there might be a whole closet in the house dedicated as a Shoe Museum.
"Step right this way, folks! Don't linger too long. Any questions?"
"Sir, I see a pair of sandals with silver straps and 3-inch wedge heels right next to a pair of sandals with silver straps and 3-inch wedge heels. Why are there two pair of the same shoes?"
"Son, you just don't have an eye for detail. That there pair on the left has a 1/2 inch strap running counterclockwise around the calf, while the pair on the right has only a 1/4 inch strap running clockwise. Details, son, details."
"Sorry. I can see that now."

We ARE a cute couple, huh? Well, she's cute--I'm more, umm, curmudgeonly. . .in an anti-charm sort of way. But, I can write like the wind. . .wait, that sucks as an analogy. I write epic-ly. Ugh. That stinks, too. I write gooder. There. That's about right. Buckle up, NAB, the ride should be a doozy! And, hi!!!

Oh, wait. You want more of the TR, huh? See below.

Opening Night, Part 1
All right, just a brief note and then it's pumpkin-changing time for me. First, let me add that I didn't mention "SUSHI!" because we didn't actually HAVE sushi at that initial lunch. It wasn't an option. I'm well aware that it was a buffet choice two of the other four days, but not at this particular lunch. Now, stop interrupting, woman!

We hopped up to the 12th deck as we sailed away (okay, I walked; luvvwl hopped, nay floated) and took in the sights. It mattered not that we saw warehouses, parking lots, and fencing, all we could see were the scores of people waving to us from restaurants, the park, and the beach. It may be sappy, but it's certainly fun, kinda like people saying "welcome home" to you when you show up at your resort. Even though you know they've been trained to do so, it's still enjoyable to hear. The music drummed through the deck, and you couldn't help but dance a little. Though the various levels of the ship had crowds of happy cruisers, the ship didn't seem bursting at the seams--plenty of room on this humongous boat. Soon, the beach was retreating from view, and accompanied by the strains of the ship's horn sounding off to "When You Wish Upon a Star," we giddily traipsed down to our room to change for dinner at Royal Palace. The voyage had begun in earnest. Chow time!!

Next up: Opening Night, Part Deux (that's French for 2, right?)

Last edited by sleepydog25; 09-22-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Nope, your memory is just fine!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #39
sleepydog25

I had a new installment but lost it. More to come later!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #40
luvvwl
Mouseketeer

LOOK!!! The SUSHI!!!!

For those of you who LOVE wasabi and ginger, they had big containers of each for which to help yourself with off to the side. Umm, I GUESS you were supposed to help yourself to it, lolol!!! I always did, anyway!!! Also, I forgot to mention, at Cabana's for breakfast you can get made to order omelettes. They don't advertise it, so you have to ask. But. They do it.

And. Apparently we only videotaped our cabin, room, whatever one calls it, when we first saw it. 'Cause this is the only pic I could find. So, put on your imagine-ears and see a freshly made bed and no clutter!

And. The one and only shot of the sailaway party too!

Apparently we can video or take pictures but can't see to do both at the same time!!

Last edited by luvvwl; 09-24-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #41
sleepydog25

Quote:
LOOK!!! The SUSHI!!!!

For those of you who LOVE wasabi and ginger, they had big containers of each for which to help yourself with off to the side. Umm, I GUESS you were supposed to help yourself to it, lolol!!! I always did, anyway!!! Also, I forgot to mention, at Cabana's for breakfast you can get made to order omelettes. They don't advertise it, so you have to ask. But. They do it. (What she doesn't say is that there are four more plates of sushi just off-camera. . .though to be fair, they only offer you fixed plates as you see above. NEWS FLASH: They started a surcharge on wasabi and pickled ginger because of some "unknown woman who wipes us out every sushi day.")

And. Apparently we only videotaped our cabin, room, whatever one calls it, when we first saw it. 'Cause this is the only pic I could find. So, put on your imagine-ears and see a freshly made bed and no clutter!

And. The one and only shot of the sailaway party too!

Apparently we can video or take pictures but can't see to do both at the same time!!
Well, someone might have been interested in taping, ummmm, the kids' slide below. . .though not necessarily taping just the kids. Oh, and I distinctly remember having multiple conversations that went something like this: luvvwl: "You should do the taping 'cause I'm not as good at it as you are." Moi: "So, you'll take the pics, right?" luvvwl: "Yes."

Old 09-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #42
luvvwl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, someone might have been interested in taping, ummmm, the kids' slide below. . .though not necessarily taping just the kids. Oh, and I distinctly remember having multiple conversations that went something like this: luvvwl: "You should do the taping 'cause I'm not as good at it as you are." Moi: "So, you'll take the pics, right?" luvvwl: "Yes."
Pretty sure it was the mom in the bikini at the kids' slide below someone was taping, not the kids' slide.

just sayin'
Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #43
rsquared
Earning My Ears

You two are adorable!
We all want more!!
rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #44
luvvwl
Mouseketeer

Oopsies!!! I totally lied!! We DID buy the welcome aboard picture. And. Here it is!!! (I think I resized it, but we'll see!)

Old 09-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #45
sleepydog25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
You two are adorable!
We all want more!!
Well, then, you're in luck!!

Before proceeding, let me back up just a bit, before the sail away party, before all the giant rubber hands waving goodbye from the restaurants lining the channel to Port Canaveral, before the “When You Wish upon a Star” tooting from the smoke stack. Instead, let’s see just how I wound up dancing in front of a group of strangers in Hawai’ian attire. After unpacking (we didn’t get all our bags at once, but we did get them all in time to completely unpack before the lifeboat drill), we attended a DVC members program in Evolution where there were perhaps 60 people in attendance. We were split into four groups, and each group named a team captain. You get once guess who was our team captain and how he got selected. Once on stage with the emcees, each team captain got a name based on what characteristics the emcees felt that person and the team possessed. Dopey. I got Dopey.

These teams were led by their captains in such activities as mini-scavenger hunt, trivia, and in one memorable moment, the aforementioned dress like a Hawai’ian game. The items for dressing up had to come from your team, so I wound up with a medium-sized DVC rucksack as my skirt and a collection of lanyards as my lei. However, another team captain had actually secured a plastic lei and strung together two ball caps in front aping a coconut bikini top. Brilliant! But, that wasn’t all, ohhhh, no. Then came the pronouncement, “Now, team captains, time to dance!” Each of the other team captains were women and had no issues swaying to imaginary drums in a hula-style dance; however, I knew that would not be a pretty sight if I attempted to do the same. I was last, and just as it came time for me to strut my stuff, a moment of sheer inspiration (desperation?) hit me. I jumped out on the small stage, surrounded by newly minted friends, and did my very best imitation of the Maori war dance from New Zealand! I stomped, growled, yelled, threw back my head, clapped, and did my best to intimidate my foes. Needless to say, I wasn’t very graceful—and I thought the emcees were going to bust a gut laughing. . .but I was a hit and got a near standing ovation from the crowd when it came time to crown the champion dancer by acclamation. In fact, I jumped up on the riser stage at the back and exhorted everyone to cheer for me. Yes, I realize a Maorian war dance ain’t Hawai’ian, but you gotta admit it was a good job of quick thinking on my part! Not only did I have a blast, but we also wound up with a horde of goodies: lanyards, pins, the rucksack (two, actually, but I gave one to a sweet Brit couple on our team), and ball caps. Did I mention they plied us with unending mimosas the entire time? It was a scintillating start to our Dream adventure.

And one must never forget the unforgettable—the lifeboat drill. It never ceases to amaze me how people can’t follow the simplest of instructions. All we had to do was show up at a designated time, at a designated spot, with a designated room key, each requisite being loudly proclaimed over the ship’s intercom repeatedly and on the cabin TVs. Yet, there were still people showing up late, at the wrong spot, and sans key. Despite this annoyance, the procedure still didn’t take more than 20 minutes, and soon we were able to head back to the room. . .only we didn’t. Instead, we went to Senses Spa to take a look around. We had missed the guided tour (I was busy dressing up in hula gear ), but one of the CMs there gave us our own quick tour which included the gym, the massage rooms, the rainforest showers, and the hot tubs. There we found that you could get access to the showers and hot tubs for only $99 per couple for the entire cruise! Done! By then, we realized that dinner time was fast approaching since we had the 5:45 seating, so we scooted back to the room to change and freshen up. Now, back to the future. . .

We arrived slightly tardy for dinner, somewhere around 5:52:25, but we obviously weren’t the only ones running behind as there were many groups showing up after us. We slid in the side door to Royal Palace where we were greeted warmly and immediately whisked off to Table 115. Or should I say we began our trek to the table. I won’t say it took a long time, but I did become quite familiar with a few tables that we kept passing by:
“Hi, Tom! How are the kids since we saw you earlier?”
“Oh, fine! How’s the hike going?”
“Good, really good. We should be quite hungry by the time we get seated. See you next time around?”

We were finally seated at our table set for two, and that’s when we experienced one of the few minor disappointments that we had on the cruise. Though our servers—Matjia and Jessica—were delightful, we had no tablemates. One of the cool facets of a cruise is getting to meet new people, sharing your stories of the day over dinner, and we weren’t able to do so. We love intimate dinners for two, but we had been looking forward to dining with others and getting to know them. Alas, it was not to be. On the other hand, we had booked Palo and Remy for our last two nights, so perhaps that had something to do with not having anyone else at our table. Regardless, it was a minor issue.

Dinner itself was an hour-and-a-half of good food and, of course, wonderful company. We’re not one to take many pictures of food, so our apologies there (thankfully, others DO post great pics!).
Appetizers: My lovely DSO had the pomegranate duck while I sipped the creamy cauliflower soup. While the duck was tasty, chilling duck reduces the flavor profile unless it’s smoked which this was not. Meanwhile, my soup had salmon caviar and mini-croutons that made it a real treat. We agreed my dish was the superior of the two.
Entrees: I had the wild boar served on a “cake” of sweet onion/potato hash with a red wine reduction. The boar was tasty, if a bit bland, and the accompanying side of hash did little to add punch to the dish. The boar was also slightly overcooked, though it was still quite tender. I’d rate my entrée as average. On the other hand, my partner’s main dish was mustard-crust, double-cut rack of lamb and it was perfectly prepared at medium-rare to rare. Her side was potato au gratin which had roasted notes that complemented the creamy sauce. Lamb is easy to overcook, but the staff nailed it on this dish. Easily, this was the better of the two entrees.
Dessert: While LOMF went with both of the two sugar-free dishes, I opted for the. . .wait for it. . .Grand Marnier soufflé. Her two sweets were fields apart: the mango cheesecake was dry and barely had any taste despite the mango gel on top of the slice; however, the chocolate ganache was quite tasty and rich, having succinct notes of dark chocolate and a hint of mocha. Very good. But. Still. The soufflé was much better than either of them. Jessica brought it warm to the table, gently tapped open the shell of the soufflé, then lovingly poured in the small urn of Grand Marnier cream sauce. Though not quite on par with the chocolate soufflé in Palo, it was nonetheless delightfully decadent. I very well may have licked the ramekin that held the soufflé, it was that good.

By the time we finished dessert, we had just enough time to stumble through the gift shops on our way to the Walt Disney Theater for The Golden Mickeys. We saw a few items we wound up purchasing, but overall, the selection was just average. From the shops, we quickly stepped over the theater and decided to sit in the balcony as the main floor was fast filling up. Although our seats were good, we soon realized that by sitting there, you missed out on the small interactive bits of the show, and by that I mean no bubbles and no glittery golden Mickey foils fluttering into your lap. Still, the sound is great and sightlines good from the nosebleed section. The show itself was fine, but it’s beginning to look old and tired, as if the performers weren’t terribly inspired (not that such mattered one whit to luvvwl since her hunka-hunka burning love—the inimitable Tarzan—came swinging in all his muscular glory. I have six-pack abs, too. . .buried behind three layers of pudge. Just sayin’). We did enjoy The Golden Mickeys, and I’m sure we’ll see it next time we cruise, as well, but it was our least favorite show.

Our original plan had been to take part in Match Your Mate, but when we walked out of the show, we looked at each other and knew the miles and excitement had taken their toll on us. Instead, we strolled arm-in-arm down the burnished hallways, past the storied atrium, and soaked up the sights and sounds of our first night on the Dream. It had been a long time coming, and we were thrilled to finally be there. Our turndown service had left a serpent of some sort, with chocolate eyes, the next day’s Navigator, and our DVC keepsake box with lanyards. What a lovely finish to an intoxicating day. Sleep beckoned. . .

Next up: You Saw What at Nassau?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: