Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
VernonP
Earning My Ears

GayDays Anaheim 2011

So, who is going?

This is the first trip for DH and me together to Disneyland. We've been to WDW many times (while living in Alabama), but since we've moved to Texas we are now "between" Disney resorts. We decided to try Disneyland since I haven't been there since 1969 (DH - sometime in the late 70's/early 80's), and our travel dates just happened to be during GayDays there! I love the "convention rates" at the Disney Resorts.
Does anyone know when the Park Hours for DLR will be released?
VernonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
VernonP
Earning My Ears

Is no one going but us?

Has anyone ever been?

I'm trying to get some information about the event this year.... Do we check-in as one would normally (never done a "convention"), or is there a special place for check-in? I've read that in the past there were discounts if you showed "your badge", where does one get this badge?

I am so used to WDW where a trip is planned at least 3 months in advance. I can't get used to the "60 days before Priority Seating", !
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
zeitzeuge
DallasDisneyDork
Some people NEED to be bitten
Had a little accident in my pants when I found out I was going to Club 33!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernonP View Post
Is no one going but us?

Has anyone ever been?

I'm trying to get some information about the event this year.... Do we check-in as one would normally (never done a "convention"), or is there a special place for check-in? I've read that in the past there were discounts if you showed "your badge", where does one get this badge?

I am so used to WDW where a trip is planned at least 3 months in advance. I can't get used to the "60 days before Priority Seating", !
Hi Vernon,
My partner and I go to DL all the time and went to GayDay's last year for the first time. You need to go to www.gaydaysanaheim.com for any information. It's Sept 30-Oct 2 this year. It's nothing on the scale of WDW. There's no check in or anything like that, and no discounts that I know of. You just show up and enjoy the parks. Since DL and DCA are a couple minute walk from one another, people just park hop between both. There is a "convention" type area in the Grand Californian if you want to check it out. We did and met some great people from MiceChat and other boards, as well as bought a few tshirts, etc.

There really is no need to do a lot of planning for DL/DCA. WDW is a vacation destination, DL/DCA is more of a weekend getaway type vacation. No such thing as a Dining plan. Food at DL isn't on the same level as WDW. You just eat wherever you want. Only Blue Bayou in DL requires a reservation, other places are casual dining and you can walk into most. Few other places such in VGC (Grand Californian), require reservation though.

Priority seating can be used for World of Color and Fantasmic!, if you have a reservation for dinner or dessert at either park.

Again, no need to do a lot of planning. Just show up and have a good time, like most of us do. Any other questions, just let me know. Oh and btw, not going this year. We'll be there in 11 days, then again in Dec for Christmas.
zeitzeuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitzeuge View Post
Priority seating can be used for World of Color and Fantasmic!, if you have a reservation for dinner or dessert at either park.

Well, not quite. There are excellent threads on the DL board about these but it is worth noting that WOC priority viewing is not seating and that reservations for the associated meals are a really good idea. We went off season and they turned away walk ins at Ariel's. The Fantasmic dessert and seating package sells out quickly as well.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
zeitzeuge
DallasDisneyDork
Some people NEED to be bitten
Had a little accident in my pants when I found out I was going to Club 33!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
Well, not quite. There are excellent threads on the DL board about these but it is worth noting that WOC priority viewing is not seating and that reservations for the associated meals are a really good idea. We went off season and they turned away walk ins at Ariel's. The Fantasmic dessert and seating package sells out quickly as well.
Yeah I guess the word "seating" isn't really true. Priority Standing is what WOC should be called. We found that by getting the picnic meal or a reservation at either Ariels or the Italian place (can't remember the name) is the best way to get really decent "standing" for WOC. For Fantasmic, it's best to just get there early, or spend a lot of money on desserts to be able to have nice seating and viewing.
zeitzeuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
VernonP
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the help. We were able to get a huge discount at the Grand California Hotel through GayDays Anaheim ($255 / night). That helped us decide to try Disneyland Resort this year.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

While I myself am in a mixed marriage, I have a soft spot for Anaheim GayDays. We arrived for our honeymoon and discovered we were right smack in the middle of it in 2004 and it was an awesome park experience. The vibe was really wonderful and I'm angling for an anniversary trip sometime.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
VernonP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
While I myself am in a mixed marriage, I have a soft spot for Anaheim GayDays. We arrived for our honeymoon and discovered we were right smack in the middle of it in 2004 and it was an awesome park experience. The vibe was really wonderful and I'm angling for an anniversary trip sometime.
Our first trip to Disney World was in 1997 for our 10 year "anniversary". We also went for our 20th, and will be going back next year for our 25th. Disney is wonderful for anniversaries. They even gave us the "Anniversary Buttons" when we checked in (we had mentioned celebrating our "20 years" when making the room reservation through Kingdom Consultants).
Old 08-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
dmwang9
Agent P's sidekick-in-training

Alas, I have to work that weekend. I've been to GDA once before, and it was a blast. One of these years, I'm going to get back down there.

DLR: off site (8/74), GC (2/01), DLH (10/07, Gay Days Anaheim), VGC (3/13), off site (12/13), off site (2/14)
WDW: Swan (7/03, Nimbus), CR (8/06), Dolphin (8/07), Swan (6/08), Swan (6/09), BWV (7/10), BWV (7/11), BWV (6/12), SSR (6/13), BWV (3/14, Flower and Garden)
Universal: Royal Pacific (7/10, Infinitus), Portofino Bay (7/12, Ascendio)
Cruises: Dream (7/11, 4 night Bahamas), Dream (6/12, PCC 3.0, 5 night Bahamas), Fantasy (6/13, 7 night W Caribbean)
ABD: DIS Backstage Magic (7/14)

Upcoming trip: AKV (Oct 27-31, 2014)
dmwang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
RENThead09
DIS Veteran

Hope you have a great trip.

Check the Disneyland schedule. For some reason I believe Friday night was a Halloween night so you needed a ticket to stay for Fireworks and Trick/Treating. Love those fireworks (how can you not when Zero is flying across the skies of Disneyland).

I'll be there. Just a couple miles down the street.

Upcoming Races...
Nov 2014 Avengers Half Marathon
Jan 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon
RENThead09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

My wife and I will be there! I just booked flights.

I also booked a room through the links on the Gay Days page and while the rates are great ($225+tax for the Grand), I'm a bit nervous about it. Usually for a Disney reservation, you are required to pay one night up front. My credit card was not charged. Should I call to check my reservation?

Back on topic, we have been to Gay Days before and it was wonderful to see all the red shirts in the park. We're didn't go to any of the parties or meetups and we had a great time. You can tailor the weekend to your interests. If you want to meet tons of people and dance all night, hit the meetups, pool party and dance party. If you prefer things more low key, maybe just join one of the big group photos.

There will be a welcome center in the Grand Californian conference rooms but I've never visited. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Hawleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
VernonP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawleys View Post
My wife and I will be there! I just booked flights.

I also booked a room through the links on the Gay Days page and while the rates are great ($225+tax for the Grand), I'm a bit nervous about it. Usually for a Disney reservation, you are required to pay one night up front. My credit card was not charged. Should I call to check my reservation?

Back on topic, we have been to Gay Days before and it was wonderful to see all the red shirts in the park. We're didn't go to any of the parties or meetups and we had a great time. You can tailor the weekend to your interests. If you want to meet tons of people and dance all night, hit the meetups, pool party and dance party. If you prefer things more low key, maybe just join one of the big group photos.

There will be a welcome center in the Grand Californian conference rooms but I've never visited. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
I'll have to ask my Hubby if his credit card was charged yet. The reservationist asked for a cc#. We also asked about paying for the room using our Visa Rewards Points, and she said that was fine.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
greenkai3000
Mouseketeer

Dang, we're going to miss Gay Days since we'll be going to DL at the end of October. I hear it's a blast! Let's hope y'all post some pics on this thread.
Walt Disney World Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007, Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010, Port Orleans Resort Riverside August 2013.

Disneyland Paradise Pier October 2011, Grand Californian December 2012, Off-Site December 2013 .

Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel June 2012

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0960612&type=3

greenkai3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: