Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #91
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Stopping in to Hi and tell you I am enjoying your TR. We are staying four nights at AKL and then doing 5 on the Dream in April and we are beyond excited. Looking forward to see more photos of the ship !!!
Hi, and Oooh, I can't wait to hear how the 5 night cruise is on the Dream! That's what we have planned for next August! Btw, I LOVE the Hannah name fill on your new TR...with Rapunzel and Pascal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerrysGirl View Post
I know I'm spoiling my own surprise but did you get to ride the AquaDuck? I think it'd be so cool to ride the slide down and over the ocean!

Those details on the ship are just incredible. The Nemo murals are gorgeous and I love the little Donald sticking out of the side of the ship... poor Donald. He gets in a similar predicament at Philharmagic
I'll give you a sneak peek...we did go on the AquaDuck!
The details on the ship really are great!
I have a feeling you might be talking Matt into a Disney cruise sometime?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #92
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar136 View Post
I'll give you a sneak peek...we did go on the AquaDuck!
The details on the ship really are great!
I have a feeling you might be talking Matt into a Disney cruise sometime?
I cannot WAIT to hear about the AquaDuck!
Not gonna lie, I'm aware that our honeymoon will probably be upcoming in the next few years and I'm playing around with ideas. Ideally I'd love to explore Australia together but I'm aware that would be a pricey honeymoon. If we need to be cost conscious a Disney Cruise is high up on my list of potentials!

(87) Offsite (91) Disney Inn (95) Port Orleans (99) Dixie Landings (02) Contemporary (05) Wilderness Lodge (08) Boardwalk (09) All Star Movies (10) Dolphin (11) Bay Lake Towers (11) Caribbean Beach (11) Coronado Springs (11) Boardwalk Villas
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #93
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I cannot WAIT to hear about the AquaDuck!
Not gonna lie, I'm aware that our honeymoon will probably be upcoming in the next few years and I'm playing around with ideas. Ideally I'd love to explore Australia together but I'm aware that would be a pricey honeymoon. If we need to be cost conscious a Disney Cruise is high up on my list of potentials!
A Disney Cruise would be a good option for your honeymoon...I went with my ex-husband back in 1998, so with no kids, and we had a great time. They really aren't just for kids at all!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #94
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Meg explores while I am ummm...busy...Part 1

After lunch, Meg and I decided to do the animation class. We had really enjoyed the one at DHS, so we wanted to try it again.

505 by mlm313, on Flickr

Unfortunately, we were drawing Mickey again. I would have liked to try another character, but I guess we could use the practice anyways!
There was a 16 year old kid there who was sitting at the table next to us. His drawing was sooo good! It looked EXACTLY like it should. He said his dream is to be an animator someday, and I think he probably will be!
Our pictures were not as good:

506 by mlm313, on Flickr

That one was Meg's and here is mine:

507 by mlm313, on Flickr

cute!

We went back to the room to get the Wave phones. I was heading off to a "mixology" class, and Meg wanted to spend that time exploring the ship, and taking more pictures. She had no interest in going to the kid's club. So, I told her we'd use the phone if one of us needed to get in touch with the other. They were pretty cool once we figured them out. For those who don't know, the Wave phones can be used to call or text the other people in your cabin while on the ship (and I think on Castaway Cay).

So, we headed out with our phones. I went off to one of the clubs in The District. When I showed up, the bartender asked for my ticket. I had no idea what he was talking about. Apparently, you are supposed to pre-register for the class and pay then. Whoops! But, he let me stay, and just billed my KTTW card. So, while I was drinking all of the concoctions he made, Meg was off shooting away.

509 by mlm313, on Flickr

510 by mlm313, on Flickr

511 by mlm313, on Flickr

512 by mlm313, on Flickr

513 by mlm313, on Flickr

She headed up onto Deck 12, and took a break from the photo shoot for another ice cream at Eye Scream! Then, back to the photo taking.

514 by mlm313, on Flickr

515 by mlm313, on Flickr

516 by mlm313, on Flickr

517 by mlm313, on Flickr

Then, back down to the Atrium she went, while I was still in "class".

518 by mlm313, on Flickr

519 by mlm313, on Flickr

521 by mlm313, on Flickr

522 by mlm313, on Flickr

523 by mlm313, on Flickr

524 by mlm313, on Flickr

Continued in next post...
Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #95
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Meg explores while I am ummm...busy...Part 2

Meg was still busy taking pictures. She headed outside.

520 by mlm313, on Flickr

525 by mlm313, on Flickr

Can you find the hidden Mickeys on the lifeboat?

526 by mlm313, on Flickr

527 by mlm313, on Flickr

528 by mlm313, on Flickr

Then, she went back inside, for more food! Chocolate covered strawberries at the Vista Cafe.

530 by mlm313, on Flickr

yum! And I love the plate they're on!

529 by mlm313, on Flickr

Meg sat here, and waited for me.

535 by mlm313, on Flickr

The class was supposed to be over at 4. She tried calling my phone around 4:05, which thankfully was on vibrate. I sent her a text back (which was a pain without the keyboard) that we weren't done yet, and I'd call her soon. I think we were on drink #4 out of 5 at that point!

I am not a big drinker at all, so by now I was feeling it! The bartender started off with a dirty martini. Bleeech! I really couldn't finish that one, and he kept saying he was leaving it there until I did! He did finally take it away because it was awful.
Then, he made a drink with crushed raspberries and Jack Daniels! It was actually really good.
He made another with more raspberries and mint, but not sure what kind of alcohol was in it. It was good.
I really can't remember the other 2! I know that two of the drinks are on the menu of the Skyline Lounge, which is the club the class was in.

The class finally got over at 4:30 so I called Meg to let her know. She had been wandering around in the Vista Gallery, taking more pictures of course.

532 by mlm313, on Flickr

533 by mlm313, on Flickr

She HAD to take a picture of the Pooh one!

Meg went up to Deck 5 and I had come out of the class. Both of us wound up lost! I was wandering around in The District, trying to find my way out, and no, it wasn't the 5 (small) drinks I had. I get lost totally sober! Meg was lost on Deck 5 in some hallway. But, I made it out to the railing at the Atrium on Deck 5, and so at least I knew where I was. Then, I could see Meg at the Vista Cafe again, one deck down.
We did finally find each other, and Meg was all frustrated but I just burst out laughing! Then, of course she kept saying I was drunk which would just make me laugh again.
I definitely wasn't drunk, but the drinks had an effect! I told her I should drink more often to put up with her when she got an attitude!

We decided to give the Midship Detective Agency a try at this point, as we were right near where you begin it. There were 2 options, and we chose the one with the Dalmatians...something about search for the missing puppies.

It was cute, and it was fun to find all of the interactive art, and watch it change, and move. This took about a half hour, and then we went back to our room.
When we got there, we had a card from the Chill Spa (for teens) at the Senses Spa. I told Meg we should check it out, as I thought you had to be 13 to use it.

We went up, and asked if she could go, since they had given us the card. The woman at the front desk at the spa was kind of rude, and informed us that Meg couldn't do any of the teen spa treatments except for a manicure, pedicure, or a facial.

I talked her into getting a pedicure, and we made an appointment for that night at 7, before dinner.

Last edited by melmar136; 10-14-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #96
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Wow! You were busy that day!

We love those "seminars" Tom and I did the champagne tasting at Pink and the Wine tasting at Meridien and had "lots of fun".

Love your drawings by the way - I never thought about doing those classes, but maybe that could be something we could try on one of our future cruises.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 10-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #97
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Wow! You were busy that day!

We love those "seminars" Tom and I did the champagne tasting at Pink and the Wine tasting at Meridien and had "lots of fun".

Love your drawings by the way - I never thought about doing those classes, but maybe that could be something we could try on one of our future cruises.
Yes, we were busy! Meg doesn't sit still!

A couple at the mixology class has gone to the champagne tasting too and loved it. Maybe I'll have to try that one next time.

The animation classes are actually pretty fun. Although, we did like the one at DHS better.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #98
melmar136
DIS Veteran

One of us was being pampered and dinner Part 1

Since we made Meg an appointment at 7 that night for the spa, she had to get showered and changed for dinner before she went there. So, she did that and then went up to Senses for the Chill Spa.

508 by mlm313, on Flickr

While she was being pampered, I took a shower and got ready for dinner. When I was just about ready, I happened to glance out the doors and noticed we were pulling away from Nassau.

536 by mlm313, on Flickr

537 by mlm313, on Flickr

The sun was just beginning to set, and this little lighthouse looked so pretty.

Right around this time, the announcement was made that we would not be able to make it to Castaway Cay the next day! WHAT?! And even worse, we'd be going back to Nassau! BLAH!
This was my 2nd DCL cruise, and now the 2nd time we would NOT be going to CC!!! There was a hurricane that time too!!! Apparently, you should not cruise when I do, as I seem to have bad luck with this!
I was pretty bummed out, but oh well. Next time, right? It gave me a good excuse to rebook!

After that, the spa called for me to come get Meg. Not sure why, but I think they probably figured she wouldn't know to tip them. Although, I told her how to, and what %. So, I went up there and they were just finishing her toes.
She had a good time with (another) Megan, from South Africa. Meg thought she was nice, but she couldn't always understand her. Here is what she chose for her pedicure.

637 by mlm313, on Flickr

Black, of course, with little Mickeys. One smudged a bit, but that's ok. Cute, but not sure it was worth $72 with the tip!

Since Meg was at the spa, and I was getting ready, we missed the show for the night, which was Villians Tonite. Something else we'll have to catch on the next cruise!

It was just about time for dinner, so we passed out a few FE gifts, which was a word search and Disney trivia for the adults, and pirate Mad Libs for the kids with a pencil.

013 by mlm313, on Flickr

We started down towards our dinner destination.

538 by mlm313, on Flickr

The waiter seating us got lost. He couldn't find our table number. Luckily, we spotted Trevor and his mom, Jen! So, we were seated at our table.

541 by mlm313, on Flickr

I am intently studying the menu in the background!

We chatted with Jen and Trevor, who had gotten off the ship in Nassau. They really hated it. Not very much was open at all, which had been announced, but they didn't care for the whole thing. We wondered why DCL, or any cruise line, even bothers to stop there?!?
We took in all the sights of the restaurant, and then it was time for our bread, and to order our meals!

539 by mlm313, on Flickr

We really liked the butter knife, and the plates.

540 by mlm313, on Flickr

Continued in next post.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #99
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Part 2: Dinner

I forgot to mention, that tonite was Pirate Night. We saw lots of people in great pirate costumes, but we didn't have anything like that. Meg just wore one of the bandanas we got in our stateroom that day.

We ordered our appetizers, and they came out shortly after that. Meg got the onion cheesecake, which was the texture of a quiche. She really liked it.

542 by mlm313, on Flickr

I got the mushroom risotto. Normally, I don't like mushrooms, but I do like risotto, so I decided to try it. I thought it was very good as well.

543 by mlm313, on Flickr

We both also got a soup...baked potato. We both liked the soup too. Dinner was off to a good start.

544 by mlm313, on Flickr

While we were eating, Crush made his way around the room on the big screens. We weren't right at a screen, so watched him "chat" with a table near us. It was kind of difficult to pay attention to him, as people at our table were talking, as well as others at tables near us, but what we could hear was funny.

Dinner arrived. Meg got a "nest".

545 by mlm313, on Flickr

It was made from fried noodles and had stir-fry veggies inside. She really liked it a lot. The noodles were a little hard for her to eat with her braces, but otherwise very good.

I got pasta with shrimp.

546 by mlm313, on Flickr

It had a crispy mozzarella thing on top, that Meg loved. The dish was good, and if I remember correctly, I cleaned my plate!

Dessert was next, and for some reason, we didn't find too much we liked, most nights. I think it's a little more fancy than what we're used to for dessert. Give me a piece of cake, or a slice of pie, and I'm happy!

Meg just got a Mickey bar.

548 by mlm313, on Flickr

They're not on the menu, but you can get one anytime.
I got the cookies and cream sundae.

549 by mlm313, on Flickr

It was good.

By this time, it was almost 10, and the restaurant was pretty empty. Meg took a few pictures as we were on our way out.

550 by mlm313, on Flickr

551 by mlm313, on Flickr

552 by mlm313, on Flickr

553 by mlm313, on Flickr

I have to say, having been on the Magic once before, I liked Animator's Palate there better than on the Dream, with the changing colors, and the waiters changing outfits. It was more of a show I thought on the Magic.

Pirate night was starting soon, but I had to stop by our room to change my shoes. The elevators were PACKED, so we ran up 6 floors to get to our room. I changed my shoes, and by the time we got to Deck 12, it was very crowded! We found a spot near the entrance to the Aquaduck, and waited for the show and the fireworks to begin!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #100
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

Quote:
Do you think they sell those chairs? I want them for my kitchen.

(87) Offsite (91) Disney Inn (95) Port Orleans (99) Dixie Landings (02) Contemporary (05) Wilderness Lodge (08) Boardwalk (09) All Star Movies (10) Dolphin (11) Bay Lake Towers (11) Caribbean Beach (11) Coronado Springs (11) Boardwalk Villas
Old 10-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #101
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do you think they sell those chairs? I want them for my kitchen.
I know! Aren't they great?!?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #102
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

I love your update!

Food looks good ....... yum, memories!

And I am so with you on the Animator's Palette - I loved the one on the Wonder a lot more too! The changing of the sketches, the servers changing outfits ..... yeah, much more of a show!

Guess I need to work on MY updates too - there was a lot going on here the last few days and I never got around to update - but I hope to this weekend!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 10-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #103
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
I love your update!

Food looks good ....... yum, memories!

And I am so with you on the Animator's Palette - I loved the one on the Wonder a lot more too! The changing of the sketches, the servers changing outfits ..... yeah, much more of a show!

Guess I need to work on MY updates too - there was a lot going on here the last few days and I never got around to update - but I hope to this weekend!
Thanks Karin.

AP was cute and all, and the food was good, but I loved the changing colors and everything on the Magic. Even the way the servers brought out dessert when we went, with sparklers and all. I guess I'll have to take Meg on either the Magic or the Wonder sometime!

Can't wait for more of your updates!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #104
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Arrrgh! Part 1

When we left off, we just arrived on Deck 12 for Pirate Night, and found a spot near the beginning of the AquaDuck. It was very crowded, mostly everywhere. We were pretty squished.

The CMs were getting people pumped up for the festivities about to begin.

555 by mlm313, on Flickr

See how crowded it was?

562 by mlm313, on Flickr

Soon, the fireworks began!

559 by mlm313, on Flickr

561 by mlm313, on Flickr

563 by mlm313, on Flickr

564 by mlm313, on Flickr

568 by mlm313, on Flickr

569 by mlm313, on Flickr

The fireworks display didn't last very long, and they're not like watching Wishes or anything, but it IS pretty cool to be watching fireworks on a cruise out in the middle of the ocean. And, we had a good view of them from our spot.

Then, Captain Jack Sparrow swooped in!

570 by mlm313, on Flickr

There was a show with pirates, and Jack, but we couldn't see that well, as we were behind a row of people, and others kept passing through that area, trying to move. I was wondering why they didn't just stay in one place then, because it was even more crowded!

Meg did get a couple of good shots though.

571 by mlm313, on Flickr

572 by mlm313, on Flickr

Captain Jack doesn't look bad at all!

The show was pretty good, but next time, we'll have to get there earlier for a better spot.

After the show, we didn't stay for the Club Pirate dance party. Flooring is put over the pools and people dance there.

Continued in next post.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #105
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Arrrgh! Part 2

Meg and I decided to check out the Pirate Night buffet in Cabanas, even though we were still so full from dinner. They had the big turkey legs, corn bread, mac & cheese, and a bunch of other food, but I just grabbed a piece of cornbread to try. I love cornbread! It was pretty good. I wished we weren't so full...I would have had a turkey leg!

After that, we decided to go to the Arr-cade. Very fitting, for Pirate Night!

573 by mlm313, on Flickr

We got a game card with 500 points for $10. Most of the games were around 100 points or less. Meg loves the racing car games, so played a couple of those, some airhockey (I won!), and Meg tried a motorcycle game.

574 by mlm313, on Flickr

575 by mlm313, on Flickr

Then, we faced off on Guitar Hero.

576 by mlm313, on Flickr

578 by mlm313, on Flickr

577 by mlm313, on Flickr

579 by mlm313, on Flickr

I have to say, that I did better than Meg! And she takes guitar lessons! I guess I am better on fake guitar!

We left the Arr-cade, and I wanted to go to Club Pirate, but it was ending already! Instead, we went back to the room and found...

580 by mlm313, on Flickr

And we got some more FEs! Yea! It was always great to come back and find a nice gift! That night we got little bags of Cars pretzels, which Meg ended up LOVING! She kept telling me I had to find some when we got home.

That concludes our first full day on the Dream. Wow, we were busy!

Weather: Cloudy, then sunny and hot.
Best thing today: For Meg, it was the spa, and the 5 ice creams she got! For me, it was laughing it up after the Mixology class!
Worst thing today: finding out we couldn't go to Castaway the next day!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: