Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #76
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2m&k View Post
Poor thing! That is not a fun way to start a cruise! I hope she started to feel better...I can't wait to see food pics!!
There were a lot of people who were sick the first night! No, not a great way to start a cruise!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #77
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Tell me about many people being seasick! Our first meal was at the Artist's Palatte and it was empty in there! Ana and Sapto had a lot of time to fool around with us .......... and funnily enough it was the one night when I was really hungry during 11 nights of cruising!

Great photos and you squeezed a lot in in a short amount of time! I remember your door - it looked amazing! BTW, can you remember the diameter of the round door number? Tom wants to make a Stitch biting into in, but we forgot to measure

More please ...... I love it!
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #78
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Tell me about many people being seasick! Our first meal was at the Artist's Palatte and it was empty in there! Ana and Sapto had a lot of time to fool around with us .......... and funnily enough it was the one night when I was really hungry during 11 nights of cruising!

Great photos and you squeezed a lot in in a short amount of time! I remember your door - it looked amazing! BTW, can you remember the diameter of the round door number? Tom wants to make a Stitch biting into in, but we forgot to measure

More please ...... I love it!
Thanks! We had lots of fun decorating our door. I'm so glad I found these boards for the decorations, and the FE. It made the cruise even more fun.
I didn't measure our door, as I got our Mickey hat pattern from idrivealumina's thread.
But it says on there to use a 7.5" diameter. That sounds really funny what Tom wants to do!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #79
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

I'm all caught up on your TR!
I looove your cruise pictures! I'm thinking a Disney cruise needs to be in my future soon

(87) Offsite (91) Disney Inn (95) Port Orleans (99) Dixie Landings (02) Contemporary (05) Wilderness Lodge (08) Boardwalk (09) All Star Movies (10) Dolphin (11) Bay Lake Towers (11) Caribbean Beach (11) Coronado Springs (11) Boardwalk Villas
Old 10-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #80
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerrysGirl View Post
I'm all caught up on your TR!
I looove your cruise pictures! I'm thinking a Disney cruise needs to be in my future soon
Glad you're back from your trip. Can't wait to read all about it!
Yes, a Disney cruise is a must do! Stay tuned for more!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #81
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Royal Palace and FEs

When we left off, poor Meg was feeling really seasick, and we were wondering if she was going to be able to eat dinner that night at the Royal Palace. She got her gingerale and ate a roll, and thankfully, started feeling better. I think the Bonine had started to kick in as well. She was good to go for dinner! Here is the bread basket, before the bread arrived:

479 by mlm313, on Flickr

So pretty! The whole restaurant was nice, with little touches everywhere:

480 by mlm313, on Flickr

483 by mlm313, on Flickr

487 by mlm313, on Flickr

Our server came over and introduced himself. He was Kruno, from Croatia. He was a very nice guy, and a great server, and touchy-feely! He'd put his hand on your shoulder as he was taking your order, or asking you a question, and get really close. He did it with everyone, even Trevor. It wasn't creepy though, but we joked a little about it at our table.

Meg and I both ordered the same appetizer, the lobster with jumbo shrimp:

481 by mlm313, on Flickr

It was good, but the lobster tasted a little odd. Maybe it had been in some sort of sauce beforehand or something?

Then, I got the onion soup:

484 by mlm313, on Flickr

It was good, but the bread on top was pretty hard to get through. You had to wait for it to get really soggy in the soup.

Meg and I both got the filet with lobster medallions for our entree. It came with mashed potatoes, and a few little veggies.

485 by mlm313, on Flickr

The filet was really good, and the lobster was better than it had been in the appetizer, even though it looks the same.

Then came dessert. Both of us chose the strawberry shortcake sundae:

486 by mlm313, on Flickr

It was really good, but Meg didn't like the sauce on top that much...she thought it was very sugar-y. I am all for sugar!
We rated the whole dinner a 4 out of 5. The food and the service were good, and we were very glad Meg felt better!

The restaurant itself was practically empty! There were obviously a lot of seasick people that night! One table near us had one poor girl sitting alone. The rest of her family of 12 was sick! We asked her to join us but she said she was just there to eat some dessert.

We went back to our room to gather up our FE gifts for Day 1. We had to get them all passed out! If you have never done a FE on DCL, do it! It was so much fun! Here is what we gave on day 1:

001 by mlm313, on Flickr

We put all of these goodies into...

003 by mlm313, on Flickr

and created a list of what goodies were in there:

002 by mlm313, on Flickr

I saw an idea like this on one of the FE threads, and loved it! That was for the adults. We gave the kids a bag filled with:

disney 003 by mlm313, on Flickr

Pirate goodies to use on Pirate night!

Once we got our workout from passing out the FE gifts, going up and down the stairs and down all the looong hallways, we went back to our room, to sleep for the night.

488 by mlm313, on Flickr

Weather for the day: really windy, and some rain in Port Canaveral
Best thing for the day: Being on the Dream!
Worst thing: Meg being seasick!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #82
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

Okay I may be asking a dumb question but what does FE stand for?

(87) Offsite (91) Disney Inn (95) Port Orleans (99) Dixie Landings (02) Contemporary (05) Wilderness Lodge (08) Boardwalk (09) All Star Movies (10) Dolphin (11) Bay Lake Towers (11) Caribbean Beach (11) Coronado Springs (11) Boardwalk Villas
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #83
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay I may be asking a dumb question but what does FE stand for?
Not a dumb question AT ALL! I had to look it up when I first joined our cruise meet! They were talking about FEs and I had NO IDEA! It's actually really fun.

It stands for Fish Extender exchange. There are little clip things outside each stateroom that the room stewards use. They clip info there for you, such as spa specials, etc. The clips started off as a fish. People started hanging pocket pouches there and they would exchange gifts with other people in their cruise meet.
Here is a thread if you want to read more about them:
FE info

I found our cruise date thread and they had a FE sign up going. We joined, and I'm so glad we did. We got to go around the ship delivering little gifts for everyone in the FE group, and they did the same. We would come back to find all sorts of goodies in our pouch! We got everything from candy and CDs to things from other countries that the other cruisers are from!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #84
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Breakfast and NO relaxing.

Meg and I got up around 8, and got ready to begin our day. The first thing we noticed was that the ship wasn't rocky at all, like it was the night before! Yay! We decided on the Royal Palace for breakfast, because Meg didn't want to go to the Enchanted Garden, as she wanted to be "surprised" when she saw it for our dinner rotation, and we weren't that keen on Cabanas at lunch.

The Royal Palace serves a sit down breakfast, and it's nice to be waited on!
We were shown to a table, just for the 2 of us, and given our menus.

067 by mlm313, on Flickr

Meg took more pictures of the restaurant:

068 by mlm313, on Flickr

069 by mlm313, on Flickr

070 by mlm313, on Flickr

Meg ordered a veggie omlette.

071 by mlm313, on Flickr

She liked it, and gave it a 4 out of 5 as nothing else came with it.

I ordered the Breakfast Trio. It sounded really good!

072 by mlm313, on Flickr

It was a pancake, a "Belgian" waffle, and French toast, with bacon. The waffle wasn't exactly what I think of as a Belgian waffle. It was more like a frozen toaster waffle, and the pancake was really dry. The French toast was good at least!
I gave it a 2 out of 5. I was kind of disappointed.

We left breakfast, and stopped to take a picture outside of the Royal Palace.

074 by mlm313, on Flickr

We headed up to "Anyone Can Cook". We thought it was going to be a cooking lesson.

075 by mlm313, on Flickr

It was a demonstration by the head pastry chef. He made an apple streudel with vanilla sauce. Watching him roll the dough out and fold it, making the layers was incredible. I don't think "anyone" could do that! I think I'd be more likely to go buy frozen phyllo dough! But it was cool to see. Then, we got to sample some! I thought it was really good, but Meg didn't like it very much. That was fine because I got to eat hers too!

We went up to deck 4 to sit and "relax". There is no relaxing with Meg around. She wants to constantly go, go, go! So, while I was sitting, looking at the Navigator, she kept telling me to talk, and she was snapping pictures at random moments, then laughing like a crazy person. I was getting annoyed. Here is one of them, where I think I was telling her to SHUT UP!

077 by mlm313, on Flickr

Nice, I know! At least we got one shot of the ocean:

076 by mlm313, on Flickr

When I couldn't stand it anymore, we went inside to check out the "Diaper Dash" that was on the Navigator.

078 by mlm313, on Flickr

Too bad no babies showed up! Then, they opened it up to toddlers, but only one showed up with his parents. So, we left. Too bad, I wanted to see a bunch of crawling babies, racing!

Bingo was next...would we win any money?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #85
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

Thanks so much for explaining FE to me! That's such a neat idea and definitely something I'd like to do when we cruise.

That restaurant is gorgeous... maybe the food's better at different meals? Hopefully? But Meg's omelette does look delicious!

All those activities look so cutely themed. It's a bummer how misleading the "Anyone Can Cook" lecture was though...

I totally feel for you just wanting to sit while Meg is go go go. I was just like that at her age. I'm sure I drove my mother crazy! Now sometimes I just like to sit at the coffee shop watching the world go by while Matt is sitting at the edge of chair wanting to run off! The funny thing is we're completely different at Disney. I'm go go go and he just wants to take it easy! Ah balance. Someday we'll find it, right?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #86
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Great update again!

Unfortunately we both picked the DCL trio breakfast and it was the worst breakfast I had at the RP and we went about every day of our 11 night cruise.
They had a delicious pineapple stack and the Eggs Benedict were to die for. Tom had the "big breakfast" (?) and he really enjoyed it.

As far as the "anyone can cook" demonstration - we knew what it was and quite enjoyed it ........ and I CAN make that dough without any problems and I can get it as thin as he can - but it's easy if you grew up in Austria, the county that perfected the apple strudel.

Love the photo of you! Can't wait for more!
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 10-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #87
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks so much for explaining FE to me! That's such a neat idea and definitely something I'd like to do when we cruise.

That restaurant is gorgeous... maybe the food's better at different meals? Hopefully? But Meg's omelette does look delicious!

All those activities look so cutely themed. It's a bummer how misleading the "Anyone Can Cook" lecture was though...

I totally feel for you just wanting to sit while Meg is go go go. I was just like that at her age. I'm sure I drove my mother crazy! Now sometimes I just like to sit at the coffee shop watching the world go by while Matt is sitting at the edge of chair wanting to run off! The funny thing is we're completely different at Disney. I'm go go go and he just wants to take it easy! Ah balance. Someday we'll find it, right?
The FE was so much fun, and we were so glad we did it. I would really recommend it!
It was fun to watch the head pastry chef do his thing, and he did WAAAAY better than I could've done. I think if it was a lesson, we may have been there all day, and he would have never gotten back to do some actual cooking!
Yeah, Meg can't relax. I suggested the kid's club, but she always wants to be with me. I love that, except for when I just want to sit for a little while! That's funny how you and Matt switch places at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Great update again!

Unfortunately we both picked the DCL trio breakfast and it was the worst breakfast I had at the RP and we went about every day of our 11 night cruise.
They had a delicious pineapple stack and the Eggs Benedict were to die for. Tom had the "big breakfast" (?) and he really enjoyed it.

As far as the "anyone can cook" demonstration - we knew what it was and quite enjoyed it ........ and I CAN make that dough without any problems and I can get it as thin as he can - but it's easy if you grew up in Austria, the county that perfected the apple strudel.

Love the photo of you! Can't wait for more!
Well, I'm glad to know there are much better options for breakfast at RP. Meg really liked hers. I was just so looking forward to all that sweetness, and was sad it didn't deliver!
I'm impressed you can get the dough that thin for the strudel! Although, I can say I haven't even tried. Maybe someday!
I think that photo of me was one of about 25 that I made Meg delete. She was having a great time annoying me!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #88
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Shake it up Betty!

We docked in Nassau at this point, late, around 11:30 ish, and the announcement had been made that all excursions had been cancelled and Atlantis was closed. We didn't mind, as we were planning to stay on the ship anyways. But, it would have been nice if all those people who did have an excursion planned got to go. Then we would have had more of the ship to ourselves!
Here are a few pictures, before heading to bingo:

083 by mlm313, on Flickr

082 by mlm313, on Flickr

We made a quick stop in one of the bathrooms. They are really nice! And Meg liked the mirrors:

081 by mlm313, on Flickr

We got to bingo, and bought a combo package. It had 3 paper bingo cards for each game, and there were 5 games, so 15 paper cards. It also came with an electronic handset thing that had maybe 48 cards on it for each game??? I had never seen one of these before! Meg thought it looked like a giant remote control or something from the 80s. It kinda did!
It was $50 for this package. Bingo was more expensive than I thought it would be!

We ordered a drink while we waited for the games to begin:

080 by mlm313, on Flickr

I got the Bahama Mama. Might as well, as we were in the Bahamas!
It was really good!

Meg got the Ooey Gooey...some sort of chocolate ice cream drink.

079 by mlm313, on Flickr

She loooved it. It was very chocolate-y.

Bingo began, and I just had to sit there and let my electronic thing do all the work. The CMs running bingo were really funny, and we had a lot of laughs, even though we weren't winning...yet!
For some reason, they call the machine that all the balls are in, Betty. And we kept yelling, "shake it up Betty!"
The CMs also had this dance they did whenever B11 was called. We still remember it!

We were on the 3rd game and all of a sudden, my screen started flashing BINGO! I won! I won! And the guy announcing it said, "wow, that came out of nowhere." because you are supposed to stand up when you are down to only needing one more number. I had no idea that's what my electronic thing was trying to tell me! I just knew the BINGO part!

I ended up winning $135. Not too shabby! They put it right on your KTTW card. Well, thank you very much!

After the excitement of bingo, we went in search of something for lunch. I really wasn't excited for Cabanas again, so we checked out Flo's Cafe.

492 by mlm313, on Flickr

Meg wound up with a half sandwich, a panini with chicken and cheese, and a salad.

489 by mlm313, on Flickr

She gave it a 3 out of 5. Not great, but good. Although, she couldn't find the salad dressing.

I went over to a different window, and got a cheeseburger with fries, and I picked up a salad as well.

490 by mlm313, on Flickr

491 by mlm313, on Flickr

The burger was already cooked, I think they just threw it back on the grill to heat it up, then slapped on some cheese, which didn't melt at all. Meg loved my fries!
I gave it a 3.5 out of 5. It was good, except for the cheese.

Then, we went in search of Eye Scream.

496 by mlm313, on Flickr

Oh Yeah!

Self-serve soft-serve ice cream!!! They had vanilla, chocolate, twist, or banana, strawberry, and that twist combo. We only tried the chocolate/vanilla twist in a cone. Every time. Meg had 5, yes 5, on this one day! I think this was one of her favorite spots on the ship!

We walked around, near the pools, and AquaDuck...

493 by mlm313, on Flickr

494 by mlm313, on Flickr

495 by mlm313, on Flickr

497 by mlm313, on Flickr

503 by mlm313, on Flickr

504 by mlm313, on Flickr

Then, we were off to another activity!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #90
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

I know I'm spoiling my own surprise but did you get to ride the AquaDuck? I think it'd be so cool to ride the slide down and over the ocean!

Those details on the ship are just incredible. The Nemo murals are gorgeous and I love the little Donald sticking out of the side of the ship... poor Donald. He gets in a similar predicament at Philharmagic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: