Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
calgarycruisers
Earning My Ears

nervous about cheap tickets..anyone had a bad experience??

They've got a 20% off deal on right now if you book three nights, and I can't find anything even remotely close to that deal. I confirmed with reservations that no matter where book your rooms you still get the same perks ie: express pass. There are lots of negative reviews on flights and event tickets but I've seen nothing bad on hotels? I have searched the boards and there are some posts but am just looking for anything further, and hopefully recent. Need to book today, leaving tomorrow on our honeymoon
calgarycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
mischief32
Mouseketeer

I have read on here that people use them all the time with no problem. It was as if you book with the hotel directly
mischief32 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
calgarycruisers
Earning My Ears

Thanks - it just seems too good to be true - if it's that easy why isn't everyone else out of business. Guess there must be lots of people out there a little nervous like me. i'm going to take the plunge though! i'll report back with my experience.
calgarycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

We were at. Cabana Bay, on a three night stay at 18% off, last weekend. Absolutely no problem. Checkin was a breeze, desk person pulled my file electronically and remarked that I was all set as it was prepaid. Then she looked again and said, "wow, that's a great rate."

I would use them again.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I haven't read a bad review here, and I did a google search and read plenty of them before booking. We'll be at RPR with 20% off in 25 days. I still haven't added the kids to the reservation but I'm not concerned. I've seen that it's possible to do ahead of time over the phone, or quickly at check in.

In case you didn't know, they add adult charges for kids when booking on the Cheaptickets website. Just book without them if you plan on bringing children and then call to have them added or add them upon check in. It seems to be what everyone does.

Last edited by pigletto; 11-13-2014 at 01:03 PM.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Redmic
Can't fold fitted sheets

Two quick questions:

Am I correct that if you book for a week you have to pay the entire week at the time of booking?

How often do they run the 20% of specials?

I am still trying to pin down my spring dates, but would love to get in on this deal.
Redmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
johde
DIS Veteran

You are correct that Cheap Tickets (and Orbitz) are 100% prepaid at the time of booking but they are refundable. 20% off comes around fairly frequently. Extremely rarely I've seen 25% off. You might see one of the travel site go extra big on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Also, in general, the rates the third party groups have is the same as Universal with Stay More/Save More so they are best for longer stays. For shorter stays APH will most likely be better.

Also, if you do Ebates, Fatwallet or some other cash back site, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets usually gives 2% cash back (but could be higher if they are having a special). That 2% covered the the equivalent of the interest on the credit card for a couple of months since it was prepaid.

It also pays to keep checking, the rates on my hotel went down after the initially booking. Because of rebooking I paid
$474.33 Base Rate 5 nights in January
-$94.87 20% orbitz code
+$61.66 Taxes and Fees
-$14.53 Orbucks earned in original reservation
+$ 2.15 Difference in Orbucks between old rate and New Rate (I booked with the new rate used Orbucks for original reservation and earned Orbucks on New Reservation since the new reservation earned fewer Orbucks they reduced my refund for the difference)
- $7.50 Cash Back from Ebates
-------
$421.24 for 5 nights Standard view room at Cabana Bay tax included or the equivalent of about $75 a night before tax. An APH rate never showed up and $94 was the best on Universals website. The only down side is tax is calculated on the base rate before discounts.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
peel
DIS Veteran

I got one of those elusive 25% off rates from Cheaptickets. We'll be there in 3 weeks. I've used them a few times in the past without a problem. I'm spending $146/night for a Standard King room at RPR. I couldn't beat it with any other rate including APH!

peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peel View Post
I got one of those elusive 25% off rates from Cheaptickets. We'll be there in 3 weeks. I've used them a few times in the past without a problem. I'm spending $146/night for a Standard King room at RPR. I couldn't beat it with any other rate including APH!
I've used Orbitz several times for WDW (have beaten the other sites) but the price is always in the same ballpark as what I find for APH rates.

for the dates I've booked, despite the current offer changing from 15 - 20% off, the net rate never tends to change much. I have seen larger discounts pop up a week or so before trip and have cancelled and rebooked when it's substantial enough.

it's my understanding that stays booked thru them do not count as qualified stays under loews youfirst program. If anybody has been able to apply, please post.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
peel
DIS Veteran

It doesn't count with LoewsFirst, you're right. We don't plan on going very often, so the discount highly outweighed the perks for us.

peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer

Yesterday I used a 20%-off code to book CBBR for a one-week stay in January. Never having used cheaptickets.com before, I decided to call the hotel tonight and make sure my reservation was in their system. The very helpful telephone person advised that my "hotel confirmation number" was actually some kind of package number that I gather was not enough to look me up. Fortunately, after taking down my name and phone number, she pulled up my record with no problem. They won't tell you anything beyond confirming that your reservation is on file, since cheaptickets "owns" the booking, but that was all I wanted to know anyway. Now I am super-stoked, as I have never had early entry and am on fire to utilize it!
MIChessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
tinkerbell313
DIS Veteran

I have booked using Cheaptickets for April staying at Portofino.

My confirmation includes a CheapTickets confirmation number as well as a Portofino hotel confirmation number.

I used the Portofino confirmation when I called to add the kids to the reservation.
tinkerbell313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Do you still get the express pass if you book with them? I wanted to do a themed suite for the kids and getting the 20% off would be great. We only want to do one night because we have a house rental so I think this would be our best deal. Thanks
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2 View Post
Do you still get the express pass if you book with them? I wanted to do a themed suite for the kids and getting the 20% off would be great. We only want to do one night because we have a house rental so I think this would be our best deal. Thanks
Unlimited express pass comes from the hotel, not how you book the hotel. It is included. One night of hotel gets you two days of benefits, from the moment you do the checkin process (as early as about 6am when the computers switch to the new day) until park close/midnight of checkout day.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Unlimited express pass comes from the hotel, not how you book the hotel. It is included. One night of hotel gets you two days of benefits, from the moment you do the checkin process (as early as about 6am when the computers switch to the new day) until park close/midnight of checkout day.
Perfect...now just have to figure out the best suite to book
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: