Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
JerseyJanice
RIP, Max!
 
JerseyJanice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Beautiful Bergen County
Posts: 9,483

Costco has those great flameless candles back in stock!

Just got back from a trip to Costco to get some stuff for my in-laws who lost their home last week--I guess you can say I'm trying to make lemonade for them.

The store already had some holiday merchandise out. Seems like they do that earlier every year, but I digress...

The wonderful flameless candles that they had last year are back in stock! (We talked about them here.) They have two versions to pick from this year. One set contains 9 candles--3 each of tall wide columns, short wide columns, and votives--and goes for $29.99. The other set is the same as last year--4 each of the tall wide columns for $19.99.

I grabbed the set of 4 wide. Last year, I kept one for my bathroom and wrapped the other 3 in pretty tissue paper and put each inside a nice gift bag filled with Lindor truffles, then added a bottle of prosecco. Gave them to two of my sisters-in-law and my cousin. Going to do the same this year for my BFFs.

The quality of these is the best I've seen in flameless candles. They come with Duracell batteries which makes it an even better deal. The timer option works great, and the batteries last a long time. I highly recommend them!
__________________
1972, 1974, 1976 Childhood WDW Trips Offsite
2/99 Coronado Springs Resort
9/00 Contemporary Resort/French Quarter
6/02 Wilderness Lodge
2/08 PO Riverside/Dolphin
8/08, 8/09, 8/10 Pop Century
10/10 All-Stars Music (FWF)
9/11 Coronado Springs Resort (FWF)
6/12 Wilderness Lodge (With Deluxe Dining!)
JerseyJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran
 
Poohforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,412

Thanks, that's great to know. I don't remember the thread about them last year but I've always been happy with the quality of Costco stuff.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
mumom95
DIS Veteran
 
mumom95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,560

I bought a pack of these last year and LOVE them. Going to have to get some more this year. Love the gift bag idea.
__________________
me, dh, ds14 dd13

1990 High School band trip - stayed offsite, 1996 Honeymoon - Carribean Beach Resort, 2007 Thanksgiving - Wilderness Lodge, 2008 Christmas - Port Orleans Riverside , March 2009 Disney Cruise on the Magic, August 2009 Disney cruise on the Wonder
mumom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!
 
Uncle Remus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,635

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJanice View Post
Just got back from a trip to Costco to get some stuff for my in-laws who lost their home last week--I guess you can say I'm trying to make lemonade for them.

The store already had some holiday merchandise out. Seems like they do that earlier every year, but I digress...

The wonderful flameless candles that they had last year are back in stock! (We talked about them here.) They have two versions to pick from this year. One set contains 9 candles--3 each of tall wide columns, short wide columns, and votives--and goes for $29.99. The other set is the same as last year--4 each of the tall wide columns for $19.99.

I grabbed the set of 4 wide. Last year, I kept one for my bathroom and wrapped the other 3 in pretty tissue paper and put each inside a nice gift bag filled with Lindor truffles, then added a bottle of prosecco. Gave them to two of my sisters-in-law and my cousin. Going to do the same this year for my BFFs.

The quality of these is the best I've seen in flameless candles. They come with Duracell batteries which makes it an even better deal. The timer option works great, and the batteries last a long time. I highly recommend them!
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, JJ, I hope they can recupe, that's just so terrible.
__________________

Uncle Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Brit17
DIS Veteran
 
Brit17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,589

Thanks for letting us know ... I love flameless candles and have bought a few of them from QVC but they were pretty $$$ ... I was actually looking for them at Costco when I was getting ready for hurricane Irene but they didn't have any ... but I'm happy they are back in and I will definitely look for them the next time I'm at Costco ...

I'm so sorry about your in-laws home ... I really hope everything turns out OK for them ...
Brit17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
JerseyJanice
RIP, Max!
 
JerseyJanice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Beautiful Bergen County
Posts: 9,483

OT, but what happened to my in-laws is really tragic. Thanks for your well wishes, Uncle R and Brit.

Mom and dad are in their 70s, and this is an incredible amount of stress for them. My poor mother-in-law seems like she's close to a nervous breakdown over it. The only good news is that they have decent flood insurance.

So much is lost! All their appliances--washer, dryer, central a/c unit, furnace, 2 refrigerators, dishwasher, stove--were wiped out. Their floors are all destroyed, the duct work for the heating and air-conditioning is shot, and all the sheet rock walls are crumbling.

We don't dare bring it up yet since the pain is still new, but we hope they'll rebuild the house, then sell it. They bought the house new in 1964, and this is the fourth time they've been devastated by a flood. It's a lot to go through now; I can't see them going through it again in their 80s.

It was a beautiful house. My mother-in-law has excellent taste in decorating. They had hoped to stay there for the rest of their lives since it's a ranch (no stairs), plus it's paid for, but we don't want to see this happen to them again. It's just too hard.
__________________
1972, 1974, 1976 Childhood WDW Trips Offsite
2/99 Coronado Springs Resort
9/00 Contemporary Resort/French Quarter
6/02 Wilderness Lodge
2/08 PO Riverside/Dolphin
8/08, 8/09, 8/10 Pop Century
10/10 All-Stars Music (FWF)
9/11 Coronado Springs Resort (FWF)
6/12 Wilderness Lodge (With Deluxe Dining!)
JerseyJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!
 
Uncle Remus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,635

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJanice View Post
OT, but what happened to my in-laws is really tragic. Thanks for your well wishes, Uncle R and Brit.

Mom and dad are in their 70s, and this is an incredible amount of stress for them. My poor mother-in-law seems like she's close to a nervous breakdown over it. The only good news is that they have decent flood insurance.

So much is lost! All their appliances--washer, dryer, central a/c unit, furnace, 2 refrigerators, dishwasher, stove--were wiped out. Their floors are all destroyed, the duct work for the heating and air-conditioning is shot, and all the sheet rock walls are crumbling.

We don't dare bring it up yet since the pain is still new, but we hope they'll rebuild the house, then sell it. They bought the house new in 1964, and this is the fourth time they've been devastated by a flood. It's a lot to go through now; I can't see them going through it again in their 80s.

It was a beautiful house. My mother-in-law has excellent taste in decorating. They had hoped to stay there for the rest of their lives since it's a ranch (no stairs), plus it's paid for, but we don't want to see this happen to them again. It's just too hard.
Listen, I'm 58 'n not sure how I'd handle it, it makes me sick just readin' about their home 'n belongin's. I know insurance is spozed to take care of it, but I'm sure it just gives one some hope of startin' over. Maybe your mother in law can find some joy in redecoratin' when she recovers from this shock. So sad to hear these personal stories.
__________________

Uncle Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's
 
Imzadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"
Posts: 24,416

Janice, I'm sorry that happened to your in-laws.

As for the candles, thanks for letting me know they are back around again. I bought a whole bunch of batteries for the flameless candles, then never got to buying the candles.
__________________
"The Community Board -- Beating a dead horse one thread at a time." ~wvjules
..
"It is estimated that there are one billion stars, like ours, and in all the universe.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?
 
Pea-n-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 22,425

I'm so sorry about your in laws and wish them and you well.

I remember the threads when I was on the hunt for flameless candles myself. I'd done some research and most reviews pointed to those being the best.

Unfortunately for me, Costco was out of them and the online price had jumped to something ridiculous like $119 for the same sets that Costco had been selling for $29. I bought a few others here and there that I didn't like and wound up essentially tossing in the trash, with one exception and that was a "peppermint" holiday style candle I got at Christmas Tree Shops which was fine (others from there weren't - go figure).

Then I discovered the Target ones and those have been great. I've had mine (3) for over a year and they're still as good as the day I bought them. We used them last week during Irene ourselves. They have good battery life, built in timers, look, feel and smell like real candles, and have neat decorative things like twigs, leaves and berries in the wax. I gave some as gifts last year, too, coupled with trays and pinecones, etc. The one thing they don't have is a remote and I think that would be great as some of mine I keep in a tray with stones and all the stones fall when you move them to turn them on. Minor complaint but a remote would be nice.

I wouldn't mind picking some of the Costco ones up this year as gifts. Thanks for letting us know.
__________________



Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
D,L and K's Mom
D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!
"Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful" ~ Annette Funicello~
You've been dazed and confused for too long!
 
D,L and K's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Upsate, N.Y.
Posts: 3,616

Picture anyone?

Janice, prayers for your family. That is a terrible story...

Does anyone have a quick picture of the candles? I dont think I have seen anything like this. I have a special needs son and we don't have candles burning because of him. Would like to see if these would be a good replacement for the holidays. Thanks.

oops never mind. Just googled it and saw them. I think this is a great idea. Thank you OP!!
D,L and K's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?
 
Pea-n-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 22,425

Quote:
Originally Posted by D,L and K's Mom View Post
Does anyone have a quick picture of the candles? I dont think I have seen anything like this. I have a special needs son and we don't have candles burning because of him. Would like to see if these would be a good replacement for the holidays.
These would be great for you. As you can see, the hamster here is perfectly safe (thankfully, or his butt would be on fire, lol).

The twigs on this one were perfect in my sunroom. The plate was $3 at Target and complements the candle and room really well (and steadies it, makes it easier to move from place to place, etc). I think the candle cost ~ $12 or $15, can't remember exactly.

__________________



Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
JerseyJanice
RIP, Max!
 
JerseyJanice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Beautiful Bergen County
Posts: 9,483

Imzadi, I'm glad you saw this thread because you were who I thought of when I saw at Costco yesterday.

Pea N Me, I have a couple of Target flameless candles, and they are nice. I think the Costco candles, though, are a better buy. The set of 4 I bought yesterday comes out to $5 per candle including batteries. It's such a deal!

The 9 piece set they had yesterday comes with a remote. I didn't see anything on the packaging about the timer switch, so I wouldn't expect that feature if I bought them. I'm debating on whether to buy a set of 9 because I can't break them up as easily for gifts with one remote, plus they're an additional $10.

The quality of these candles is what makes them superb. I've seen flameless candles at Christmas Tree Shop and CVS, that don't look anywhere near as nice. The fake wick in the Costco candle, plus the light coming from the inside, makes them appear so real.
__________________
1972, 1974, 1976 Childhood WDW Trips Offsite
2/99 Coronado Springs Resort
9/00 Contemporary Resort/French Quarter
6/02 Wilderness Lodge
2/08 PO Riverside/Dolphin
8/08, 8/09, 8/10 Pop Century
10/10 All-Stars Music (FWF)
9/11 Coronado Springs Resort (FWF)
6/12 Wilderness Lodge (With Deluxe Dining!)
JerseyJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere
 
luvflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Arizona, but Maine will always be home
Posts: 6,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJanice View Post
Just got back from a trip to Costco to get some stuff for my in-laws who lost their home last week--I guess you can say I'm trying to make lemonade for them.
That's awful about the damage and flooding to your in-law's house. I can't even imagine going through that once, nevermind four times. Sending good thoughts their way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
These would be great for you. As you can see, the hamster here is perfectly safe (thankfully, or his butt would be on fire, lol).
Love the candle, but love the fact that your hamster is in it even more! Great photo! Too cute!
__________________
luvflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's
 
Imzadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"
Posts: 24,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by D,L and K's Mom View Post
JDoes anyone have a quick picture of the candles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
These would be great for you. As you can see, the hamster here is perfectly safe (thankfully, or his butt would be on fire, lol).

They don't usually come with a hamster.
__________________
"The Community Board -- Beating a dead horse one thread at a time." ~wvjules
..
"It is estimated that there are one billion stars, like ours, and in all the universe.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: