Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
RobertLC
Mouseketeer

The <Insert Imaginative Trip Report Title Here> Trip Report - WDW 03-31-12 - 04-04-12

Welcome to my first-ever trip report.

Here's where I'm going to attempt to report on our first family trip to Walt Disney World from March 31 to April 4, 2012.

I've held jobs as a professional writer in the past, but when it comes to personal stories, I don't seem to have the same talent, hence the not-very-imaginative trip report title.

I'll attempt to make it entertaining, but to tell the truth, nothing very exciting or out of the ordinary happened on our trip, there were no copious amounts of extra pixie dust, but we did have more fun on this vacation than we have on previous vacations to Atlanta, New Orleans, and Pigeon Forge, TN.

I'll set this first page up as the Table of Contents and come back to edit it by inserting links to the appropriate posts.

I hope you're slightly entertained and maybe learn a few things that help you on your trip.

If I get you confused, or you need clarification on something I will write about, please ask me. This is my first trip report, so join me as I stumble along.

The <Insert Imaginative Trip Report Title Here> Trip Report - WDW 03-31-12 - 04-04-12

Table of Contents
Cast of Characters
Pre-Trip
Day One
Day Two
Day Three
Day Four
Day Five
Post-Trip
2014 - WDW - May 27-June 1 - POR

Last edited by RobertLC; 04-11-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Better formatting.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
alex9179
DIS Veteran

You've made me laugh, so I like it so far! Personally, I'd rather like an average vacation report. All those extra "pixie dust" accounts make me feel like we'll be deficient in Disney spirit if it doesn't happen. Silly, but there it is.

So happy you had a great time. That's all we really want, right?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
RobertLC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex9179 View Post
You've made me laugh, so I like it so far! Personally, I'd rather like an average vacation report. All those extra "pixie dust" accounts make me feel like we'll be deficient in Disney spirit if it doesn't happen. Silly, but there it is.

So happy you had a great time. That's all we really want, right?
Glad you like it so far. Hope you are entertained enough to stick around.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
RobertLC
Mouseketeer

Cast of Characters

There were 4 of us going on this first-ever family trip to WDW.

Susanna, 8 years old

This was Susanna's first trip to WDW. She loves musicals and the Disney Princesses, so this visit was right up her alley. She wanted to meet as many of the Disney Princesses as possible, along with riding Splash Mountain with her mom, and the Tower of Terror with her dad (me).

Joanna, 4 years old

This also was Joanna's first trip to WDW. She loves Cars and Toy Story. Her main goals were to meet Ariel, Jessie, Woody and Mater. As you may see in future photos with other characters, she liked being with the other characters, but to paraphrase POTC: "She wants the redhead, the toys and Mater!"

Jane, my wife

This was Jane's second trip to WDW, her first being with her parents in 1979 when there was only one park, the Magic Kingdom. Since she was 7 at the time, she has only a couple of vague memories of the visit. The CM at the resort said that if we hadn't been to WDW since the '90s, then we'd qualify as First Time Visitors, so along with the kids, she got her "First Visit" button. I found out on this trip that Jane really likes the Disney Villains. As she puts it: "If it weren't for the villains, there would be no story." So, her main goal was to find as many of the Disney Villains as possible. Her other goal was to ride Splash Mountain with our daughter, Susanna.

Bob, me, yours truly

This was also my second trip to WDW, with my first being sometime in 1975 shortly after Space Mountain had opened in the one and only park, when I was 6, I’m 43 now. I too only have vague memories of the trip, mainly of riding Space Mountain, the Hall of Presidents, the silhouette cutters, the Carousel of Progress and the lawn mower inside a tree at the Wilderness Campground where we stayed. I got my “First Visit” button for this trip too. My main goals were to make this trip as special as I could for my family and to have fun, although I did come to realize that Mary Poppins is perhaps my favorite Disney movie so that became a goal of a character for me to meet. I also wanted to ride the Tower of Terror with Susanna, Dumbo with Joanna, and Mission: Space.

Anyway, this is us. Typical, average Southern family on a trip to WDW for the first time.

Oh, BTW, you won’t find me using too many acronyms beyond WDW. I don’t go in for that DW, DD, stuff. Makes my mind have to work too hard when I read other reports or threads using those acronyms. I have to stop and translate in my head “Dear Wife” or “Disney Daughter.” While my family members are dear to me and definitely Disney by this point, I just won’t do it. Sorry. That’s my forum quirk.

Last edited by RobertLC; 04-11-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Sign me up neighbor! I'm looking forward to a fellow Mississippian's TR! Just remember if you need to say something not so nice about someone, you only have to add "bless their little heart" after whatever you say and it makes it okay!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Fellow former writer (and current editor) joining in! If you're wife loves the villains, then you MUST plan a return trip to go to one of the Halloween parties... the villains are out in full force for those. Your girls are absolutely adorable! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
donnajbr
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Sign me up neighbor! I'm looking forward to a fellow Mississippian's TR! Just remember if you need to say something not so nice about someone, you only have to add "bless their little heart" after whatever you say and it makes it okay!

I'd rather as an average vacation report. All individuals extra "pixie dust" accounts cause me to feel seem like we'll be deficient in Disney spirit whether it does not happen. Silly, but there it's.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
I'll have one of what ever the tag fairy is drinking tonight
Chocolate is a girls heaven

I'd love to read along while you recapture your vacation memories. Disney is such a wonderful and happy place. Are you already planning your next visit?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
RobertLC
Mouseketeer

Pre-Trip

We go on a family vacation during our school system’s Spring Break every year, usually late March or early April, depending on how it falls. Sometimes it helps minimize the crowds we would normally encounter if we went during the summer.

For the previous two Spring Break vacations, we’ve gone to the Smoky Mountains in Pigeon Forge, TN. We’ve visited Dollywood, Parrot Mountain, Gatlinburg, the Titanic Museum and Ober Gatlinburg. It was pretty, quiet and nice, but not much changed between the times we visited. We also had to actively seek out things to go do, and then we had to drive to them.

We had decided to go somewhere different this year and somehow had settled on San Antonio. It was the same driving distance as Pigeon Forge, but would be something different to see. We had discussed WDW before, but figured we would need Joanna to be a bit older so she could ride most rides and remember the trip. Also, we thought it was expensive.

The first of the year came, and we weren’t getting excited about our upcoming vacation in April. The closer it got, the less we seemed to think about it. Until we got to the almost end of February when all of a sudden, WDW came back to our minds. It was the same driving distance as Pigeon Forge and San Antonio. We were sure the kids would have fun, and thought we might enjoy it. Plus I wouldn’t have to drive. Everything would already be paid for except food, souvenirs and gas. So after our tax refund and extra pay came in, we decided to devote part of it to our WDW vacation!

I had started doing some research into WDW and had tried looking at the WDW website to figure out how to plan and schedule our vacation. Being a first-timer at it, I felt a little overwhelmed. I had seen some recommendations to use a travel agent and had found good reviews for Small World Vacations and decided to give them a try. I entered the basic information and details of what we wanted on their website. Within 24 hours, on Feb. 21, I was contacted through email by Missy, who would be our travel agent for this vacation.

Missy was great. We talked on the phone and I answered her questions and she answered mine. We were finally able to settle of what exactly we wanted and she booked everything for us. We didn’t do the Disney Dining Plan, figuring that we would be able to survive on some Counter Service food along with snacks, peanut butter and jelly with some bread we planned to bring along, plus we weren’t sure if we’d like being held to certain quantities at certain places at specific time periods of the day. Maybe we just didn’t understand the dining plan well enough, but we thought we could get by.

So on February 29, we booked our trip to WDW for March 31-April 4, at the Coronado Springs Resort with the “Magic Your Way” 5 day tickets. With just 31 days to plan for a WDW vacation, we had a lot of work to do! We were well past the window for ADRs. But we thought we’d be able to survive as mentioned above.

I did a lot of research, and after finding DISboards, mainly on this set of forums. I compiled a 4-inch binder with everything I found about how to do WDW the right way.

We decided to purchase 2 backpacks. One would be a standard backpack in which we would carry bagged snacks, wipes, tissues, ponchos and an umbrella as well as any other dry items we would need. The other backpack was a cooler backpack to hold ice packs, drinks and another umbrella. We got these from Amazon.

We also decided to get the kids involved in pin trading and after a lot of research and agonizing about the whole issue, bought a small lot of pins off eBay (no flaming on this please, as I said, I did my research and agonized over the whole “possibly counterfeit” issue). We also purchased 2 kid lanyards and 2 adult lanyards in styles that we each liked. When these arrived, we allocated most of the pins to the kids with Jane and me only receiving a few pins apiece. We threw all these in a hat, literally, and went around the family members with each person drawing a pin out during each round. This went on until all pins were allocated in the quantities we had decided on. Immediately following that, we engaged in a few minutes of pin trading until everyone was satisfied with his/her loadout of pins.

I also went to the local Barnes & Noble and purchased “The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2012” for us and Birnbaum’s “Walt Disney World for Kids 2012” for the girls. These 2 books helped us get into even more of a Disney frenzy and looking very forward to our trip.

During the next few weeks, we purchased snack items and other things from the local dollar store, Wal-Mart and grocery store.

We received our “Mickey Mail” about 2 weeks before our trip, and also received our 2012 Disney vacation planner DVD and Joanna had somehow found the only Blu-ray copy of the Disney Parks DVD at Sam’s. We were definitely ready for WDW by this time!

We packed the snacks into one Rubbermaid plastic cargo container and the other items (paper plates, blister pads, extra Ziploc bags, extra ponchos, etc.) into another one. The drinks we had purchased went into our cooler to be iced down before departure.

We purchased 2 autograph books for the kids and I had purchased some small trinkets to go with them in a “Welcome Bag” from Mickey and the gang that I was going to try to find a way to get into our resort room before we got in there.

We made a few trips to the local Disney Store and Wal-Mart to get each of us a few Disney shirts as souvenirs and to wear while in WDW. They were a lot cheaper here than I knew they would be at WDW.

The closer our departure date came, the more ready for vacation we got. That last week was really the toughest and seemed to drag on.

We started packing our suitcases during this last week. Following some tips from DISboards, I set out each day’s clothing (Disney-themed shirt, shorts, underwear and socks) for each person, and then placed each set into its own Ziploc bag which I labeled with a Sharpie for each person. These made it much easier to pack and during each morning, I would just pull out a bag for each person, and they had their outfit for the day. No digging through the suitcase trying to match up outfits. It saved a lot of time and effort once we were at WDW.

So the bags were packed except for a few last-minute things. I even filled out and attached the special Disney luggage tags we had received earlier with our “Mickey Mail.”

We measured the kids to make sure they would be able to ride. Susanna passed with a couple of inches to spare; she would be able to ride everything. Joanna appeared to be 40” by my measurements, so we thought she’d be ok with most of the rides with that height restriction.

We had also purchased a small CD wallet. In this we put the DVD versions from our Blu-ray Disney combo pack movies. This was for the kids to watch in the car DVD player on the way to and from WDW.

Jane got so excited for the trip that she compiled a list/spreadsheet detailing every exit and rest area between Long Beach, MS and Orlando, FL. It even contained information about what gas stations were available and what brand they were. She used the info from an iPhone app she had purchased to compile the information.

On March 28, I was able to go to the local Disney Store and get a special commemorative set of silver Mickey ears for the store’s 25th anniversary. I also purchased a few small items to be left by Tinkerbell each night for the girls to find when they woke up.

Eventually, March 30 came. I took the car in to get the oil changed and tires rotated. And as usually happens anytime I take a car in for something simple like this, they “found something.” Turns out there was a nail in one of the front tires that was in such a spot that the tire wouldn’t be able to hold a repair. So, after getting 2 new tires, the car was ready for the trip. Hadn’t even left town and was already spending a lot!

After the kids got out of school and we got home from work, we loaded the containers, cooler, and suitcases into the car and got it ready to go; it was packed to the brim! We had also placed in the car our toys: Buzz, Woody, Jessie, Ariel, Tiana, Bullseye and Sleeping Beauty.

We had an early supper and the plan was to go to bed early and head out around 3a.m.

That was the plan.

The kids finally got in bed and went to sleep. However, Jane and I couldn’t sleep at all. We were more excited than the kids!

So, a little after 10p.m., we got the kids up, got them dressed, loaded them in the car along with pillows and got on the road. After a brief stop to get the adults a cold Coke Zero, we were on the road to Orlando by 10:50p.m.!

We entered Alabama around midnight.

So even though March 30 technically may have become Day One of the vacation, I’m still counting it as pre-trip.

NEXT: Day One!!!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
RobertLC
Mouseketeer

The site would go down after I post the latest update.

Thought I had somehow broken the site!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
RobertLC
Mouseketeer

Been having major computer problems, have had to do complete restore.

Will try to get Day One done this weekend for posting sometime next week.

Sorry for delay. Thanks for sticking with the thread.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
RobertLC
Mouseketeer

Day One – Saturday, March 31, 2012

You never really know or understand how long and dark the night is until you drive it. I mean you have a sort of idea, but usually you're asleep during the night and don't really have a firm grasp on exactly how long and how dark the night is. Let me tell you, after driving to Orlando in it, it is very long and extremely dark.

We entered Alabama around midnight and drove straight through to Florida.

We stopped off at the Florida Welcome Center around 1:00a.m., of course the information area was closed, but we just needed it for the restrooms.

One good thing about the Florida rest stops is that all the ones we passed had nighttime security guards, so we felt safe stopping off with two kids. By some miracle, the kids were still awake despite the late hour and had passed the time watching a Disney movie on the DVD player.

Anyway, we did our business and after we got loaded back into the car, I took a photo.

I also tried to take one of the Blue Angels plane on display, but I was too far away for my camera's flash to work correctly so the photo looks like I took it with the lens cap on. I'll spare you a look at that image.

We took off back on I-10 towards Tallahassee, my wife and I switching off the driving duties every 100 miles.

Traffic was very light, pretty much no cars on the road and only the occasional 18-wheeler. Most of the 18-wheelers we did see were parked at the rest areas resting for the night. We practically had the road to ourselves.

We passed through Tallahassee, somehow missing the time zone notification sign, although I knew by the time we got to Tallahassee that we had to be in the Eastern time zone by then. We drove further East and then hit the other Interstate (75 I think) finally headed South towards Orlando!

Dawn graced us with its presence sometime a little after 6:00a.m. and about an hour later we stopped off at a Dunkin Donuts to stretch all our legs and get a bit of breakfast.

After standing in line for a bit (which would help us get used to standing in line at WDW) we got our pastries and piled back in the car for the last push to Orlando.

We paid a couple of tolls along the way and saw our first orange grove, complete with oranges on the trees. The kids had never seen that before.

I believe we entered Orlando sometime around 7:30a.m. and got onto Disney property somewhere near 8:00a.m., I don't know, we were just so excited to be at Disney that we didn't really pay attention to the time.

We navigated our way to our resort, Coronado Springs Resort, it was big and very nice looking. We went into El Centro and Jane and the kids went to look around the gift shop a bit while I checked in.

I know I could have done online checkin a week or so before, but I wanted the full interactive experience of checkin.

I told the CM that I knew rooms wouldn't be ready at that early hour, but they actually had a room ready for us, but it was the Casitas right next to El Centro. Knowing that that's near the convention center and possibly any convention attendees, I really didn't want to stay there.

From my research here on DISboards and from the Unofficial Guide, I knew that the best room for us in terms of closeness to the Dig Site and a bus stop would be either 8A, 8B or 7B. So, I marked those on the map for the CM, asking if it was possible for us to get a room in one of those areas.

She was surprised, she told me that people usually want to be closer to El Centro, but I told her we wanted to be close to the Dig Site pool. She made a phone call and in a few minutes had us a room in 8B, but it wouldn't be ready until later in the day. No problem I told her, we would be going to Epcot for a while.

So, I gave her my cell number so they could send me a text when our room was ready. She gave me our Keys to the Kingdom that would get us into our room and the parks. I asked about First Visit buttons for the kids and for me and Jane, explaining that we hadn't been since the 70s. The CM told me that if we hadn't been to WDW since the 90s, then we could consider ourselves first-timers. Sweet! So I had buttons for us all! I also arranged for the resort staff to leave gift bags for the girls that I had made earlier in the week as welcome bags in the room. They even offered to add some balloons to the bags.

We loaded back into the car, drove to the parking area outside our building, parked, got our park-going gear out of the car and walked to bus stop #4.

We only had to wait no more than 5-8 minutes for a bus that was headed to Epcot. Soon we were on our first bus ride to one of the parks!

The bus was not crowded at all, I think we were about the only family on it. Within 10 minutes, the bus pulled into the Epcot entrance and dropped us off.

We started our PhotoPass collection, looked at some of the topiaries that were part of the annual Flower and Garden Festival that has started a week or two earlier. We also went to the butterfly garden to see the pretty flowers and butterflies.

We went over to try to ride Soarin' but found that even though we had measured Joanna a couple of weeks earlier and she seemed to be just at the required height for most rides, somehow between that time and the time we arrived at Epcot, she had shrunk a bit and didn't meet the minimum height requirements of a lot of the rides.

So, we didn't ride Soarin', but we did get to ride Nemo and that was fun. The kids enjoyed it. We also found our way into Turtle Talk With Crush. We split up at the door, the kids went to sit on the floor down front while Jane and I sat on a row in the back. The interactive nature of the show was very interesting, we enjoyed it. When it came time for Crush to take questions, a couple of kids were selected and got to interact with Crush. When Crush started talking to the third kid, we realized it was Susanna!

She had been talking about how she wanted to talk to Crush and she actually got the chance. Her question was “Who is your friend?” Turns out, Crush's friend is Dori and that provided a segueway for Crush to bring Dori into the program. This was a very good first experience for the kids and gave Susanna a great memory.

We looked around the area outside of Crush at all the fish in the aquariums for a bit and then went outside and to try to get on Test Track. The wait time was 60 minutes and while Susanna and I wanted to ride, it wouldn't be fair to make Jane and Joanna wait for all that time, so we got out of line and decided to try to tour the world.

We started our tour at Mexico. Since it was close to lunchtime by that time, at least maybe by our stomachs which were still on Centro time, we decided to try the food at Cantina de San Angel, a QS eatery right outside the Mexico pavilion.

This was my first introduction to the Disney food machine. Not too bad, go up to the CM taking orders, literally left and right, his left and right, then advance to the next line in front of the counter. Had our food within 10 minutes and found Jane and the kids holding a table for us.

We split an order of nachos. It was big enough to feed all of us a little snack. We liked it, the meat was seasoned perfectly and everything, we really liked them.

It was at this time that I realized I hadn't charged my phone in a while and forgot to charge it in the car on the way down like I had planned. I was hoping it didn't die before I got the text about our room being ready.

We wanted to go look around the other pavilions and find some characters, but it looked like a storm was coming.

We decided to hop on one of the boats and head over to France to see if we could see Beauty and/or the Beast.

After a short boat ride, we were let out at Germany.

We made our way over to Morocco where we saw our first characters: Aladdin and Jasmine.

After getting their autographs and photos, we walked briskly but trying to see some detail, all along watching the skies grow darker.

It was during this time that I got the text about our room being ready and then my phone died. The battery held out long enough for me to get that message.

We eventually found our way to France where we saw a line for Beast. We got in it and let the kids and Jane meet Beast.

Just as their time with Beast was coming to a close, the skies started opening up and Beast's handler had to cut everyone else in line off in order to get Beast out of the rain.

It really started to pour so we decided to stop off somewhere so we could get our ponchos out in order to enjoy Epcot while most people were taking cover.

Unfortunately, by the time we stopped off in some perfume shop in France, we were already slightly soaked. But, we all got our ponchos on, got out the umbrellas and tried to brave our way through the rest of the world pavilions.

That plan didn't work too well. It was ok at first, but by the time we got to the U.K., it was pouring like I hadn't seen since a tropical storm. We ducked into some shop in the U.K., I can't even tell you what shop it was, where we tried to wait the worst of it out.

The streets were flooding, we were soaked all through. We decided to make our way back to the front gates of Epcot and head back to the resort.

So, we didn't get to ride Soarin', Test Track, and didn't really get to see most of Epcot. We were soaked, chilled and tired, but we enjoyed what time we had at Epcot and just put those missed items on the list for the next time we would visit.

We boarded a bus for our resort and headed back, wet and tired. The room was nice. About the size and décor of an average hotel room anywhere else I've been, but this one had Mickey Mouse in different areas of the patterns in the room: on the runner down the middle of the bed, in the frame of the mirrors, etc.

The girls also found their welcome bags which each had an autograph/photograph book and a few trinkets.

I unloaded the car, we ate a supper from the supply of food we had brought with us, and I hung up the ponchos to dry and tried to pack our backpacks for the next day.

I had also discovered that we had no hope of our shoes drying in time for the next day's park. I tried drying them in the resort's dryer but that didn't work. It was noisy and they kept knock the dryer door open.

Since I had made everyone else pack a second pair of shoes, they were fine, it was me that didn't pack a second pair of shoes.

I had to walk to Panchito's in El Centro in squishy shoes to purchase a pair of Mickey Crocs for me to wear in the park the next day. They actually were comfy and stylish, I thought.

Yes, I did wear socks with them. They were moisture-wicking socks and also kept the top edge of the crocs from rubbing my feet raw.

We turned in kinda early as we were exhausted from the very long day that had started at 10:00p.m. the night before.

We watched some TV, found the Disney channel that had a bedtime story, let the kids watch that and then they were out followed very shortly by Jane and I.

So, that was our first day at WDW, tomorrow would be another day, but this time – Magic Kingdom!

NEXT: Day Two!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: