Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
wkla13
Earning My Ears

Flights...Ottawa Area

Interested to see which airport Ottawa area DISers fly out of...Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Syracuse??? We flew out of Montreal with Air Transat the last time we visited WDW. I was just checking it out and the Air Transat prices are already super high for March Break 2015. Thoughts?
wkla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

DD lives in Ottawa and flies out of different airports depending on the destination. For Florida she flies out of Syracuse, usually on JetBlue. Haven't checked 2015 prices though.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
thr33boys
Mouseketeer

We fly out of Syracuse. The savings are too hard to pass up. We can usually get 5 round trip direct flights for $1100.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
wkla13
Earning My Ears

That's a great price. I know it is going to be pricey to hit WDW during March Break but we have seen flights for 4 already topping $5,000....yikes!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
thr33boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkla13 View Post
That's a great price. I know it is going to be pricey to hit WDW during March Break but we have seen flights for 4 already topping $5,000....yikes!
Yes, we go in the off season and tend to pick our weeks depending on what dates offer the best savings for the cost of the flights. For March break, we usually stay local or visit family within a few hours drive.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
wkla13
Earning My Ears

We usually stay home for March Break too but thought we would give it a shot before DS1 turns 9. My biggest concern with going to Syracuse will be the weather....we have to weigh that in as well in March. Our boys don't know that we are planning this trip...we are thinking of surprising them for Christmas and then they will be able to help us plan our FP+ selections before our 60 days is up.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
mama_scraps
Earning My Ears

We fly out of Buffalo or Syracuse, depending on how good a deal we can get. We're flying from Syracuse on JetBlue this Nov.
mama_scraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
ccudmore
DIS Veteran

Also check Allegiant Air out of Plattsburgh NY. 3 hour drive from Ottawa. I've seen fares as low as $79 return taxes in but typical fares vary depending on demand. They fly into Sanford Airport in a Orlando which means you need a car but both Plattsburgh and Sanford airports are so small you're in and out in a matter of minutes.
ccudmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:29 AM   #9
Nagle
Proud Canadian

As we live in Brockville, our first choice is Syracuse. The flights are almost always less expensive.
The other big plus for us is crossing the border by car at Alexandria Bay is soooo much calmer and more pleasant than doing so at any of the airports these days.
Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

We won't drive to a distant airport, we hate driving that much. The last two times we went to Florida, we flew YOW-YUL-FLL once and took the train from Ottawa to Dorval, then flew YUL-MCO once. For the second trip, we couldn't get a connecting flight from YOW to YUL that was early enough to let us make the flight to MCO.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Ottawa direct to MCO whenever we can. Much prefer the convenience and speed of a direct flight over saving a few $$$. Have also connected through Toronto once (added about 4 hours to the travel process due to delays) and direct from Montreal twice with hotel stay over the night before.

I agree that cheaper flights can be had from the US, but the US airlines are so late in posting their flights I don't like to wait that long. Might try Plattsburg or Syracuse one of these years tho.

The trick for March Break, especially in Ottawa where WJ and AC have only one daily direct flight, is to book the day the bookings open (about 330 days out in Canada). Our last YOW-MCO flight for 4 was about $3k but prices quickly climbed in the days following. The computers adjust fares automatically based on supply and demand, and supply is always short of demand for the March break weekend.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
badiggio
Mouseketeer

Always fly from Ottawa,usually with an American airline.it's not as fast as direct, but pretty fast none the less,for one stop, and quite a bit cheaper.Get customs out of the way here and the rest is smooth going.
badiggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
ottawamom
Mouseketeer

In the fair weather months we drive to Syracuse (United on Aeroplan points), Buffalo (Southwest) or soon to be Rochester (Southwest)and fly out of the States. There are usually 5 of us and the savings are worth the drive. This December we will just be 2 so we are flying WestJet direct out of Ottawa. The price difference wasn't worth the drive, hotel etc.
ottawamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
Best_Vacation_EVER!
Mouseketeer

We always try to do direct out of Ottawa. Its mostly been with Westjet. We've used Air Canada a couple of times when the price/schedule were the best option --- but we have no plans to do that again now that all flight legs from YUL/YYZ to MCO are Rouge flights. My DH is very tall and the new smaller spacing and closer seat pitch on those planes makes AC a high price/low service option that goes to the bottom of the list.

We looked at Jet Blue but once we factored in the cost of the gas, time to drive and additional kennel fees for 2 dogs (due to the timing of the flights would add an extra day on the beginning and end of the trip) the savings weren't really there.

It makes the trip so much more convenient for us to do the direct flight. We plan early and book early so we book as soon as we see a price we feel feel is a good value. Our December flights for 3 of us were $1200 which we were happy with. As long as Westjet stays service oriented with comfortable seating (not like the sardine can experience on AC Rouge) we'll keep supporting them.
Best_Vacation_EVER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
Nagle
Proud Canadian

Direct flights out of Ottawa certainly would make things much better. The last time we did fly out of Ottawa in December 2012, I had booked through AirMiles well in advance for direct flights to and from Orlando (West Jet).

A couple of weeks before our trip we got an email that there was a flight change and we needed to contact AirMiles. Unfortunately it was not just a change in times, our flight down to Orlando had been cancelled and we now had to take a flight connecting through Pearson. I cannot express strongly enough how much I hate connecting through Toronto on flights to the USA.

Now we had the pleasure of going to Toronto, schlepping our bags through to security, waiting hours for the connecting flight (which was late) and getting to Orlando after midnight instead of 8:00 PM.

That trip reinforced how much I prefer flying out of Syracuse even if we have to connect at an airport in the States. In my experience customs and security are much more pleasant and relaxed crossing the border at Alexandria Bay NY. Syracuse airport is only an hour and forty minutes from our home in Brockville where Ottawa is just over an hour. Parking in Syracuse is $8 per day and flying out of Syracuse usually means I can stop in at the Dino BBQ

I81 can be treacherous at times, but really no worse than the 416 up to Ottawa.

All things considered, I will fly out of Syracuse any chance I get over flying out of Ottawa.
Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: