Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #91
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat in GA View Post
How exciting! I somehow missed that post on facebook that you had a new room - with a view

What was the noise level like in the room? Could you hear the monorail/people - or only when you were outside?
You were busy drinking around the world or something! LOL

It was pretty loud when you opened the door. For sure. Even inside the room, if it was quiet, no tv on, you could hear a little bit of noise. Not too bad, we were over Contempo and closer to Chef Mickey's although pretty much in the middle of the building. At night I heard a bit of ambiance I'll call it. Not enough to bother me or affect my sleeping, DH said he heard nothing and he usually would be the first to complain. But he also falls asleep in 2 seconds and I don't. We were up a lot the last night because Eric was whining in his sleep about his ear hurting so I did notice some noise outside when I listened for it, but once the monorail and Chef Mickey's was closed I didn't really hear anything.

The Garden Wing is very quiet. I will say that. Honestly, I actually think switching rooms for the last couple of nights might be the perfect way to do it. It was quick and easy to do and would save some money. If we stay there again I might do that, plan it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
Oh my word!!!! What an amazing view!! So happy for you guys! I will say that is the least they could have done for your troubles.
I think it helped that we never said a word to anyone other than calling and saying we didn't think anyone had been by yet. We never asked to be moved or complained about the issue. I won't say I wasn't secretly hoping they'd move us to a MK view room and that DH and I didn't discuss the possibility. But we weren't expecting it at all and just wanted a dry bathroom floor because the marble was slippery when wet. We would have been fine with another Garden Wing room. But knowing the hotel had every room category available I wasn't shocked when we were told we were going into the Tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerrysGirl View Post
Ahhh that room right there is what made me fall in love with the Contemporary. I love that view! In the morning we would lean over the balcony and watch Chef Mickey's in action and at night I felt the building gently shaking when the monorail went through. Just love it!
I do understand how not knowing if the pool was open could be frustrating for your family though Hope the view made up for it a little!
Yes, the view more than made up for not being able to see the pool. Watching the fireworks from there and then putting the kids to bed and sitting out there with some wine and watching MK shutdown and the husstle and bustle of the bus stops at closing. Pretty amazing!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #92
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Wow - what a bummer about the leaky ceiling but they really made it up to you! Awesome view from your new room.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #93
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

I remember seeing that photo of the view posted on FB. Very cool!
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #94
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Do the Hokey Pokey and Turn Yourself Around

It was time to make our way to the Wilderness Lodge for dinner at Whispering Canyon although it was hard to tear ourselves from our new view. As we walked out of the Tower and down to the pier to catch the boat to Wilderness Lodge, it start to rain. The big boat was coming in to dock and by the time it got there it was POURING. We got on and headed to WL. It went straight there, not to Fort Wilderness first. We got there and it was still POURING sheets of rain. Oh this is gonna be fun. There is no cover from the dock to the hotel. We sort of run, the dock is a bit slippery when it's wet and it's all wood till you get to the pool area. We rush in via Roaring Forks and head to the lobby to try and dry off a bit. Eric remembers staying here last year, he was 4. Matthew can't remember it he says, he was 7. Really? We wander the store to dry off and then it stops raining and we have time so we wander around outside a bit. I was amazed at how small the pool area looked in comparison to the CR pool desk. We stayed here last year and it seemed big then, but we had nothing to compare it to really, we stayed at Port Orleans so many years ago. Matthew does remember the pool and slide now he says. Guess we didn't venture into the lobby too much last year.

Our ADR time came and we waited just a few minutes while the kids made a fort with the blocks on the table before being seated. There must have been a mix up because the waitress came over and asked us if we wanted to move over a table which was where we were supposed to be. We just said it was fine, not realizing that by not moving that meant we had to have another waiter, who's table this actually was. So she walks away and another guy comes to our table. So he explains what happened and takes our drink orders.

We saw our waiter from last year running around screaming for ketchup. Now, as we're waiting for our food, the antics start. We were seated right behind the check-in desk and one of the CM's there threw a crayon at DH's head and was peaking over the wall. Around the wall, tapping him on the shoulder. It was hilarious. Then she came over to talk to us for a bit. Next thing you know they are doing the horse races which my kids refused to participate in. Then they make everyone stand up and literally do the hokey pokey. Even DH did it, which is very unlike him. The kids did it too, but we all just stood at our table and did it, didn't have to go anywhere. Matthew was enthralled with the whole ketchup thing and threatened to ask a few times, but he didn't really want ketchup and was not quite sure he wanted the attention. Dinner was good, I had the skillet like last year and I can't remember what DH had, but not the skillet.

After dinner we went back to the Mercantile to pick up a few things we wanted to get. I looked for Jibbitz there since that was the only place I found them last year, but they didn't have any. A CM there said they didn't sell them anymore and didn't think they had them anywhere on property anymore.

Then we headed back to the dock where guess what...it was raining again. A boat just left, but it was going to MK, as we were running up and another boat was there waiting, it was an open boat so he had to wait out the rain I think. Another of the big boats came within 10 minutes while DH was talking to his mother on the phone. Luckily there is a covered area on the dock to wait under. The driver of the small boat waiting told the other driver we were going to CR. There was nobody else around. So instead of heading straight to MK, he said he's go to CR first since the other boat was stuck waiting. So we get on and headed home.

We made it home in time to get back to our room for Wishes at 9, stopping for a bottle of wine on the way. It was raining on and off, but we crowded our balcony and managed to stayed dry and watch. Then we put the kids to bed and DH and sat out drinking our wine watching and listening to the park shut down. Heavenly.

As the sun was setting...

Memories from a distance...a tree blocking right where the video is showed...

Sorry, because of the rain I didn't bother to bring my camera to WL, only my iPhone.

Up next...
The final day, boohoo.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #95
Kat in GA
DIS Veteran

Your pictures from the balcony are gorgeous! I especially like the one of the sunset. Very impressive.

I am working my way around to all the resorts - and I so need to stay there
Coronado Springs - April 2013; AKL - CL - Feb 2013; ASMo - Dec 2012; AoA, BWV & CR - Sept/Oct 2012; POR - May/June 2012; All star Sports - April 2012; BC - Feb 2012; Caribbean Beach - Dec 2011; AKL - Nov 2011; Offsite - Oct 2011; POP & WL - Aug/Sept 2011; Offsite June/July 2011; POFQ- Sept 2009; Coronado Springs - Sept 2007; Offsite - Jan 2007; POFQ - Sept 2006

Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #96
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

You really do have some amazing pictures! I am jealous... and that's an interesting point the CM made about the Jibbitz... I don't recall seeing them last week either. You'd think they'd keep them around, they're so popular!

(87) Offsite (91) Disney Inn (95) Port Orleans (99) Dixie Landings (02) Contemporary (05) Wilderness Lodge (08) Boardwalk (09) All Star Movies (10) Dolphin (11) Bay Lake Towers (11) Caribbean Beach (11) Coronado Springs (11) Boardwalk Villas
Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #97
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

We really enjoyed our dinner at WCC on our last family trip (the one where my BIL, SIL, and their 2 kids came with us). I have pictures of my SIL (Heather) doing the hokey pokey... she was the only adult at our table to dance, LOL! Later, when showing the pics to my MIL, she couldn't believe Heather got up and dance! She's just not the hokey-pokey type.
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #98
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Where Do You Want to go Today?

The last morning has arrived. Eric complained his ear kinda was bothering him yesterday afternoon and again this morning woke up saying his ear hurt. I'm thinking Swimmers Ear from all the time in the pool. He's fine otherwise. No temp or anything. So we grab our breakfast, DH walks down to get it, so much closer now just 2 floors down. LOL My tasty chocolate croissant for the last time and him a breakfast sandwich. The kids just had their room breakfast of cereal bar and nutella on bread.

So, the night before we had asked where they wanted to go the last day. Eric said DHS for Star Tours and ToT again. Matthew didn't know. So in the morning we ask again and had considered, to keep the peace, splitting up this last day if the kids wanted difference places. Matthew names his place and Eric agrees. I double checked with Eric and made sure he knew that I'd go with him to DHS if he wanted. But no, Matthew's choice was good with him too. So off we go...

We got there just as they were opening and headed straight for the Safari as usual. Gotta hit that first thing. We saw more elephants this time around and a few other animals we hadn't gotten good looks at last time. The Rhinos were great, we stopped and saw them walk to a puddle of mud and lay down in it. All the kids thought that was hysterical, "SPLAT!". Then we got to the giraffes. We stopped for a moment, we saw more of them last time, and this time within a few seconds they were getting kinda...well...frisky. The safari guide put the truck into gear and said, "sorry folks, but these guys are not following the Disney code of conduct rules, it's not very "Disney family friendly" so we better get outta here!" and she took off laughing. It was worth coming back here today just for that moment, so funny, at least to all the adults on the ride.

After that we headed straight over to see if Kali River Rapids was working since we didn't get to see it Monday. On the way we caught Divine, who we'd never seen. Very neat.

Nope, still not running. Are you kidding me??? I was not happy. I had my water camera and everything, all ready for that ride. We went on to EE and I wanted to ride this time, DH has always gone with Matthew. So DH and Eric waited while Matthew and I went on. There was no wait. I was nervous and pretending to be really scared so Matthew would laugh and try and convince me it was fine. It worked. He loved being the brave one. That ride was AWESOME! Best ride in the parks I have to say.

Then we headed off to Dinosaur again. After that, Eric wanted to see Goofy and Pluto but there was a long line and Matthew didn't want too. We went on and walked around the Tree of Life and did Bug's Life since we hadn't done it the other day. Oh my, I forgot about the ending, did NOT like that feeling at all. We had a snack and then headed back to check on Kali, up and running but a 1 hour line. Are you kidding me again? Forget it. (And another big disappointment was Flight of Wonder which I really wanted to do since the boys love birds, sign said is was only running on Sundays or Saturday, can't remember which. What's up with that?) Eric and DH headed off and Matthew and I went to ride EE again. Last time.

We came back to Discovery Island and met up and saw Flick out saw Eric and I waited for him. Matthew didn't want to, but I wasn't gonna let him ruin Eric's fun. It was just a few minutes. DH and Matthew headed into Rainforest Cafe for a nice sit down lunch since we never made it to TREX or Downtown Disney this trip. We met up with them after we saw FLick.

Up next...
The Final Hours...

Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #99
kokotg
DIS Veteran

Ah, your last day

We've had that experience, Kali River Rapids being closed half the day then reopening with a giant wait--more than once, I think. And that's crazy about Flights of Wonder! Maybe Guano Joe was on vacation....
Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #100
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebeeryan View Post

LOVE this pic!

Sounds like your last day was off to a good start. But bummer about missing KRR and FofW.
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014
Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #101
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

I've always wondered what they do when the animals "get frisky." The driver seemed a little surprised but you'd assume it happens on a relatively frequent basis?

(87) Offsite (91) Disney Inn (95) Port Orleans (99) Dixie Landings (02) Contemporary (05) Wilderness Lodge (08) Boardwalk (09) All Star Movies (10) Dolphin (11) Bay Lake Towers (11) Caribbean Beach (11) Coronado Springs (11) Boardwalk Villas
Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #102
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Great update and great picture...I love the one with Flik!

I laughed when you commented on the end of Bug's Life....my nieces had never been on it before and the oldest one was crying at the end...of course I was laughing because I knew what was coming
Old 10-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #103
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Great update and great picture...I love the one with Flik!

I laughed when you commented on the end of Bug's Life....my nieces had never been on it before and the oldest one was crying at the end...of course I was laughing because I knew what was coming
I had totally forgotten the end, I know we did it last year and thinking about it, I think Matthew kinda freaked last year, but I had forgotten. Eric got upset because he couldn't see well and was sitting on DH's lap so he didn't feel anything when we all started jumping up screaming. He was upset he missed something. LOL

Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #104
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

All Good Things...

That's right, it's the final hours. So very very sad. After a lovely filling lunch at Rainforest Cafe we headed back to the hotel and went for a swim.

We lasted all of 15 minutes in the pool maybe before the sky looked like this again...

and it closed for lightening and rain. UGH!!! Daily occurance basically. So we waited it out for a bit. Got some drinks, kids wandered, took some pictures.

We were left hanging for about an hour and then the pool opened again after a brief rainstorm. So back to the pool we went...

After a little more swimming, we headed up to change and get ready for our last evening at MK!

First up, a family picture in front of the castle...last one.

We headed straight to Tomorrowland and Eric and I went into Cosmic Ray's to get food while DH and Matthew headed to the zero wait time Space Mountain for one last ride. Turned out there was a bit of a wait, but not long. Long enough that their food was sitting for a few minutes by the time they got back to Cosmic Ray where I had gone ahead and ordered and got the food. After that, we did a family trip through Buzz since there was no wait and then headed to the other side of the park for the 3 faves. Eric got tired...first time in 7 days... I carried him a bit till I thought my back was gonna snap in two and then DH grabbed him.

We hit Haunted Mansion one last time. Then went over to Splash for the last Splash down.

Finally...the very last ride was Thunder Mountain.

We then headed out via Adventureland and back to the hotel. Our last walk on the Walkway.

Can you tell I am sad just writing about it again.

Back at the hotel, I went and grabbed a beer and a drink, some bottled Daiquiri concoction or something since DH said we wasn't feeling well and didn't think he was up to a bottle of wine on the balcony. Eric was still complaining about his ear hurting. We sat out and watched Wishes with our wonderful view again.

Put the kids to bed, Eric complaining and DH and I sat out for a few minutes, drank his beer and then went to bed. I sat out to finish my drink and just enjoy the sounds of MK shutting down for the night. I posted on Facebook and saw Pixiemama reply to me post she was on the ME on her way here while I was sitting out there. Made me smile.

I went in to bed and couldn't fall asleep. Then DH woke up and I did too at about 1am because Eric was whining in his sleep about his ear. So what do we do. DH had gone to check for kids medicine before the stores closed when we first got back and there was nothing. So, his ear was red and hot, and he was awake by now and whining pretty good. Finally we decided we'd use the only thing we had, my Motrin and cut one in half and see if that would help. I didn't really want too. So here I was, in the bathroom trying to cut a motrin pill in half with a plastic knife using the sink for leverage. It worked. He was mostly quiet the rest of the night after a bit.

In the morning we packed up the final few things and off we went to meet our driver out front by 7:15am. Eric=still whining. We checked in and were told our big suitcase was over weight by 1lb. So here I am opening it right there and tossing the first thing I find into one of the smaller bags we were also checking. I grabbed the sunscreen which immediately brought the bag down below 50lbs. Sure, they were all still full, we had no sun while swimming all week so I barely used it. Phew, crisis averted, BAGS FLY FREE dammit. We had a little breakfast at the airport and then sitting at the gate, our flight was delayed by 40 minutes. Blah. Meanwhile, I called our Pediatrician and asked to set up an appointment for Eric about his ear for that afternoon. She thought I was a bit nuts when I said, give me the latest time you have today since we're still in Florida right now. We ended up getting home about 30 minutes later than scheduled and were home by 2:15. DH had a tee time at 2:30 crazy guy. Really. But he had a tournament (which he ended up winning) that weekend and wanted to practice since it had been over a week since he played. I took Eric to the PED's at 3pm and both of us, me and the doctor, were surprised when it was in fact not swimmer's ear, but an ear infection. His first actually. I told her I gave him another half motrin before the flight because I was worried about the pressure and his ears hurting and still didn't fine any kid's medicine in the shops. She didn't yell at me.

And clearly, he was fine on the plane...

and thus ends the trip. I am still working on the Photobook although the DVD of videos, originals and compilations is all done.

We have no plans to go back until at least 2013 and right now are feeling we do want to try something else, maybe a cruise next time. We'll see. Last night at bedtime Eric asked me joking, how many days till Disney. We've been counting down so long he misses it.

Last edited by beebeeryan; 10-18-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #105
kokotg
DIS Veteran

Great finish! Well, I mean, except for the ear infection--how funny that he'd get his first one ever at Disney!

Revisiting all your MK favorites and then watching Wishes sounds like a perfect ending.

And I'm amazed at how much you did the day you got home! I feel like I can't leave the house for a week after we get back

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: