Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #76
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Hopping Around the World...barely.

It started raining as we were leaving AK. Eric and I were waiting for Goofy and Pluto in line while DH and Matthew went into a store to wait for us after we decided not to wait on Kali and just go back to the hotel. They pulled the characters before we got to them because of lightening so we headed out to the buses. It was only raining lightly at this point. We hung out on the 4th floor a bit and then went to the room and got ready for the pool once we saw it was opened again. Had been closed when we first got back due to the lightening. No camera, no pictures today.

Was a short break because we had to get ready to head to Epcot for dinner tonight.

Us, before we get all hot and bothered

We hit Mousegears for a bit then headed to World Showcase via Canada. We looked around a bit, checked out the menu at Le Cellier while we comtemplated why Canada did not have a Poutine cart out for take out Poutine. How awesome would that be?!?! We went inside the shop and I drooled over my childhood treats we just can't get in the States. Namely May West and Areo bars. A lovely CM agreed with me that the lack of these goodies was disturbing.

Then it was on to the UK where we wandered a little bit, saw a band playing, took a few photos and then went to the Rose & Crown for our ADR.

No idea what he's doing here...

I had the fish & chips with plenty of vinegar on my chips and a cider and black which was yummy, brought me back to my Ireland trips for work, that was my drink of choice. DH had the pot pie which I'd never in my life seen him eat, he liked it. Kids got pasta, yes, they got pasta in the UK. They didn't have pizza.

The we wandered back to Future World.

After hitting a few shops and a bathroom, we found a spot for Illuminations right between the 2 shops. Now, I'm not sure what the issue was, the pizza from lunch or the dinner I just had, but I was not feeling well. Let me just say, the lack of adequate restrooms in this part of the park is sad. The only restroom had 2 stalls and a 15 minute line up. Gearing up to Illuminations...not enough. I'm sure it would have been faster to go elsewhere, but it would have been a walk and I was not feeling it. 2 minutes before Illumninations started we were sitting there on the ground and I honestly thought I was going to pass out. I felt the dizzy feeling coming on. Then I got it together and was fine. I took some video and had to lift Eric up so he could see a bit better, then DH took him although I hadn't told him I wasn't feeling well other than I had a bit of cramps. Miraculously I felt a bit better as soon as the show started. I only got one halfway decent picture, but have video of it.

As soon as the show was over we hightailed it towards the monorail. It actually was not as busy as we thought it would be, I mean there were people, but it wasn't total chaos like getting out of MK after Wishes was. Not even close. We were probably far enough ahead of most of the crowds further back in WS. We sat at MK for a few minutes on the monorail due to some technical glitch and saw a bit of the beginning of Wishes before getting back to the hotel. As we were walking to our room we heard and saw the water parade going on so we went down to the beach, kicked off our shoes and watched the parade. Then it was bedtime!

Up next...
Do the Hokey Pokey

Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #77
Kat in GA
DIS Veteran

I had asked my girls what they wanted for me to bring them from Disney World - and they said "FOOD!" I think they were just jealous of all of our restaurant trips (they love to eat around the world) - but I decided that was exactly what I would bring them. I got all kinds of strange things in Japan (I tried to pick things that I had either never heard of or had nothing identifiable on the package!), some cookies from Sweden (in Norway!) and lots of candy in England and Canada. The girls loved the aero bars (I wonder why they aren't sold in England, too?) - and I don't remember the other candy I got them to try. What is a May West?? They remind me of moon pies. And what is a poutine?

And I know exactly which bathroom you mean! I stopped in there once and Angie and Shannon thought I might have fallen in! With only two stalls and a line, it took forever - but yes, the next option -- I think it's not til the red phone booths in England!
Coronado Springs - April 2013; AKL - CL - Feb 2013; ASMo - Dec 2012; AoA, BWV & CR - Sept/Oct 2012; POR - May/June 2012; All star Sports - April 2012; BC - Feb 2012; Caribbean Beach - Dec 2011; AKL - Nov 2011; Offsite - Oct 2011; POP & WL - Aug/Sept 2011; Offsite June/July 2011; POFQ- Sept 2009; Coronado Springs - Sept 2007; Offsite - Jan 2007; POFQ - Sept 2006

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #78
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat in GA View Post
I had asked my girls what they wanted for me to bring them from Disney World - and they said "FOOD!" I think they were just jealous of all of our restaurant trips (they love to eat around the world) - but I decided that was exactly what I would bring them. I got all kinds of strange things in Japan (I tried to pick things that I had either never heard of or had nothing identifiable on the package!), some cookies from Sweden (in Norway!) and lots of candy in England and Canada. The girls loved the aero bars (I wonder why they aren't sold in England, too?) - and I don't remember the other candy I got them to try. What is a May West?? They remind me of moon pies. And what is a poutine?

And I know exactly which bathroom you mean! I stopped in there once and Angie and Shannon thought I might have fallen in! With only two stalls and a line, it took forever - but yes, the next option -- I think it's not til the red phone booths in England!
I think Aero is purely Canadian, not a UK thing, they've got the good Cadbury going on, the real stuff in the UK. May West is a cakey moon pie/little debbie'ish thing, but the filling is different it's almost custard like but not really, it's hard not soft. Hard to describe. They are yummy, but not a $7.00 a box or whatever they wanted at WS. I get them when I go home sometimes and keep them in the freezer, they are yummy frozen too. They were my snack at school growing up. LOL My mom always brings the boys Smarties when she visits, which are like M&M's sort of, but better.

May West from Wikipedia:
A May West is a round dessert cake with cream filling. It was created in Canada, and continues to be particularly popular in the Province of Quebec.The original creme filling was custard, however it has since then been replaced by a shortening-based vanilla creme close in taste and texture to the filling found in Twinkies.

Poutine is a Quebec thing. It's fries with cheese curds or cubes with hot gravy. I checked and they did have a gourmet version on the menu at Le Cellier, but the best kind is from a street vendor or hole in the wall place that sells hot dogs and poutine and that's it. I think a nice poutine-to-go would make a great WS food snack for Canada to add.

Last edited by beebeeryan; 09-26-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #79
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

Smarties are the world's greatest candy. Best. Invention. Ever.

(87) Offsite (91) Disney Inn (95) Port Orleans (99) Dixie Landings (02) Contemporary (05) Wilderness Lodge (08) Boardwalk (09) All Star Movies (10) Dolphin (11) Bay Lake Towers (11) Caribbean Beach (11) Coronado Springs (11) Boardwalk Villas
Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #80
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

You know, the only rope drop/opening "show" I remember seeing the week I was there was the one at HS. Well, we never made rope drop for MK, so I can't say if there was one or not.

I really liked our dinner at R&C. Keeping that one on the list of places to eat at during our next trip!
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #81
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Drip Drip Drip

We woke up Tuesday morning not really sure what to do. The itinerary said Epcot, but we'd already done that enough with the extra day. The kids wanted to go to MK so we planned on that. Now, first thing I hear before I even get out of bed, is DH saying, "umm...the bathroom floor is all wet!" We found that our ceiling was dripping by one of the sinks and the door and had been all night probably. Floors was very wet. Slippery marble tiles. Good times. I put down towels and we got ready to go have breakfast. We decided to go get waffles and stuff at Contempo this morning instead of an in-room breakfast. Before leaving, DH called the front desk to tell them about the bathroom.

We went to breakfast and came back to the room about 9am. Nobody had been by yet. We left again for MK and on the way out I stopped at the front desk to tell them again, just to be sure and ask if we needed to be there. Nope, go on have a nice day, we'll take care of it.

Walked to MK. We took a few pictures on Main Street before getting too sweaty and icky and headed to Tomorrowland. The boys wanted to ride Astro Orbitor which we hadn't done yet and there was no line which was a miracle. I took them on that and we all rode together in one ship although they told Matthew he could go alone, he didn't want to.

DH didn't come on this one. He went off to get FP for Space Mountain or something. After that Chip and Dale were out by the stage and there were only a few people so we stopped to see them. Chip was very playful with Matthew. When there isn't a big line, they certainly goof around a lot more.

Riding Astro Orbitor

After that we all rode Buzz together and then headed across the park to the only place the boys ever want to be, Frontierland and Splash Mountain. Rode Splash. Rode Thunder. Then we went over to Adventureland to ride Pirates, but I believe it was down for whatever reason and so we continued on to the Magic Carpets. I wanted to see Jasmine and Aladdin, but the boys didn't and the line was long. We got ice cream from Sunshine Tree Terrace after riding the carpets and watched them go off on break and come back.

We wandered back through the shortcut into Frontierland and came upon an impromptu street hoedown. Or whatever you call it.

Then the boys wanted to do Haunted Mansion again, so we did. Love that ride! Saw the Steamship coming in and the boys hadn't done that yet, didn't do it last year, so we went ahead and got on. Boring, but whatever. Had to do it once. It is a great spot to get good pictures of Thunder Mountain and Haunted Mansion and Tom Sawyer Island though.

Up next...
As if the rain wasn't enough, our bathroom ceiling is leaking!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #82
Kat in GA
DIS Veteran

My girls have never been on the river boat - and actually I can't recall the last time I was either. Does it just make a circuit?

Another thing the girls have never done is Tom Sawyer's island...with us going in some cooler weather, maybe we'll finally go over there. I think my 10 year old would like it, but I am not so sure about my teenager!

Oy vey about the bathroom...and your parting sentence tells me that it's not quite fixed while you are gone!
Coronado Springs - April 2013; AKL - CL - Feb 2013; ASMo - Dec 2012; AoA, BWV & CR - Sept/Oct 2012; POR - May/June 2012; All star Sports - April 2012; BC - Feb 2012; Caribbean Beach - Dec 2011; AKL - Nov 2011; Offsite - Oct 2011; POP & WL - Aug/Sept 2011; Offsite June/July 2011; POFQ- Sept 2009; Coronado Springs - Sept 2007; Offsite - Jan 2007; POFQ - Sept 2006

Old 10-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #83
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat in GA View Post
My girls have never been on the river boat - and actually I can't recall the last time I was either. Does it just make a circuit?

Another thing the girls have never done is Tom Sawyer's island...with us going in some cooler weather, maybe we'll finally go over there. I think my 10 year old would like it, but I am not so sure about my teenager!

Oy vey about the bathroom...and your parting sentence tells me that it's not quite fixed while you are gone!
Yes the boat just goes around in a circle, you go around Tom Sawyer Island actually. Last summer we did Tom Sawyer, it's hot on the raft, but it's a quick ride, the island is actually mostly shaded so not too bad once you are there. And the caves and fort can be nice and cool. We didn't go to it this trip though. I think the thing with the island is getting on the first raft there and finding the paint brushes they hide in the morning, then you get a universal FP for the day or something to that effect. I'm not sure.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #84
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

I absolutely love your pictures...everyone looks so happy! We have never been on the Riverboat, can you believe it? We really need to do it one of these years and I can't even tell you why we never have

From your previous post....I'm with you....smarties are the best! I love to keep them in the freezer and have them with a cup of coffee
Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #85
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

We saw the hoedown too! I love that the characters get involved too. I can't imagine dancing like that dressed as a giant cow!

(87) Offsite (91) Disney Inn (95) Port Orleans (99) Dixie Landings (02) Contemporary (05) Wilderness Lodge (08) Boardwalk (09) All Star Movies (10) Dolphin (11) Bay Lake Towers (11) Caribbean Beach (11) Coronado Springs (11) Boardwalk Villas
Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #86
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure I've been on the riverboat and to TS island as a kid... but I haven't done either since.

Uh oh about the bathroom issues...
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #87
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

It's Raining...It's Leaking...

So we left MK and headed back to the hotel. I believe we walked back this time. Seems every time we took the Monorail it stopped a few minutes and it just took longer. We went straight to our room first to see what was going on with the leaking ceiling. Mousekeeping had been in, but towels were still all over the floor, she had replaced them at least and the ceiling was still dripping. Not sure if anyone had come. UGh! We called again and a few minutes later someone came. The guy looked and said he needed to call a plumber, he thought he knew what was wrong. So we went off to lunch at the Contempo.

Then we headed back to the room to change and go to the pool for the afternoon. When we got back to the pool a woman maintenance worker was standing there at the door. So nobody comes by all day then they all come at the same time. We let her in and she looked around and then the other guy came back and told her he was still waiting on a plumber who should be here. soon. They left, we changed. But as I was changing into my swimsuit in the bathroom, DH "pretended" to open the door and say hi to the maintenance guy to scare me. I was all worried about people walking in. I told him he was in trouble later because I seriously jumped.

We went to the pool, but less than 30 minutes later, we got the lightening warning and had to get out and they closed the pool. Lovely, now we didn't even know if we could go to our room since they might be working in there by now. We headed back and there was nobody there. We changed quickly and the phone rang. DH answered and it was someone from the front desk telling us maintenance would not be able to fix the problem quickly and since we'd already been disrupted all day they would move us. They told us to pack up and gave us a # to call when we were ready to they could send Bell Services to move our stuff. 5 days of dirty clothes and lots of stuff, but I think we did it in less than 15 minutes. I called Linda back at Front Desk and they came a few minutes later. So we get out into the hallway with all our stuff and the bellman tells us we can go ahead to the room, he'll meet us there, he'll be slower. We tell him we don't know where to go, they didn't tell us our new room number or give us new KTTW cards or anything. He checks in his pocket and says the room is 4436, but it's the 7th floor in the tower and our own KTTW cards should work on that door. Okay. I figured they'd put us in another room in the Garden Wing, but the Tower sounded good. So we headed that way and he was right behind us the whole way and we shared an elevator. I was completely disoriented when we got out of the elevator and he pointed which direction to go in. I still didn't know what view we would have. Our door was the first door to the side of the elevator hallway, we were basically right in the middle of the building. The interior view was cool, the kids were excited to see the monorail come by just as we were walking by. We try our keys and low and behold they worked. In we go and the kids run to the sliding glass door and start screaming that they can see the castle! I'm stunned. The bell guy starts laughing. We tip him and he leaves and I pull out the camera and start taking pics and video of the new room and view. We've got 2 nights to enjoy the fireworks from our own balcony. Best view we'll get considering the views inside the park were less than stellar. After a good half hour not able to tear myself away the kids start whining about whether the pool is open again.

Waiting for bell services...

Thank you Thank you again Linda at Front Desk!

The room all neat, but really it looked exactly the same as the other one.

Check out the view Mommy!!!

iPhone photo so I could Facebook it!

Lookie how I can zoom in on Space Mountain!

See, now when I said about the Garden Wing and our view of the pool...we'd know if it was open now. But being up here on this side we have a lovely view, but no way of knowing if the pool is open or not without going down to check. Which we do. It's not. We do some shopping. Check again, they are opening in 5 minutes they tell us. We go change and head down. I will say, I much preferred walking out of my room in the Garden Wing and going out the first door and out to the pool than having to walk around the Tower and through the lobby although the elevators are hidden from the front desk area. But I am not complaining, the view is fantastic and we are all elated to have this room now. We swim a little and then have to head back to get ready for dinner just as they are closing the pool again.

I believe it only rained a little, a quick passing storm, but the skies were still quite dark in spots and there was thunder and lightening around as you can see from the photos. It's not cleared yet.

Up next...
Do the Hokey Pokey and turn yourself around in the rain

Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #88
Kat in GA
DIS Veteran

How exciting! I somehow missed that post on facebook that you had a new room - with a view

What was the noise level like in the room? Could you hear the monorail/people - or only when you were outside?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #89
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

Oh my word!!!! What an amazing view!! So happy for you guys! I will say that is the least they could have done for your troubles.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #90
BerrysGirl
Waiting for the Lights

Ahhh that room right there is what made me fall in love with the Contemporary. I love that view! In the morning we would lean over the balcony and watch Chef Mickey's in action and at night I felt the building gently shaking when the monorail went through. Just love it!
I do understand how not knowing if the pool was open could be frustrating for your family though Hope the view made up for it a little!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: