Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #136
Ash8716
Disney Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tric8783 View Post
Thanks Ashley!! I am prettttty excited we are holding the space and crossing my fingers and toes it will work! I feel like since we're asking everyone to come down there, it's not like a normal wedding and I feel like we need to do things for everyone (so far between my DF, mom and I, I'm the only one whoe thinks so). I also really want to do a Farewell breakfast or brunch on Sunday, but of course I want to plan things like we're millionnaires. hahaha Once we get our BEO and can see where we are and if we have any room, I'll be able to make some more decisions I think. I'm also thinking of maybe doing a continental type farewell in the Attic at the Boardwalk maybe as a come as you wish, leave it open for a few hours but not a set time. I'm not sure! Are you doing anything farewell?

I am so excited for our e-pics! 2 days! We are using Justin & Mary Marantz, justinmarantz.com, we set up the day and time awhile ago but didn't discuss the details yet, I'm waiting to hear back from them for a location. I really wanted to go down to New London after seeing your pics but we are meeting them at 5:30 Friday to get the lighting, so I can only imagine the traffic at 5pm on a Friday, we'd have to leave work early! haha Right now I am thinking we are going to do them at an orchard that is close to where we live, but I'm waiting to hear back from Mary to see if that works. Fingers crossed!!
I know exactly what you mean, this is how we felt! I hope you are able to keep things at the UK. Can't wait to hear how it goes once you get the BEO hopefully things aren't too far off from what you were expecting. We were going to do a brunch after the wedding but then decided that everyone is probably going to be exhausted and so many people are using this as a vacation that we didn't think many people would attend or would end feeling obligated (Df and I included lol) So since we decided against it we turned the dessert party into a welcome dinner and it probably came out to the same price or less if we were to do both the DP and farewell brunch.

I can't wait to see your e-pics!!! Our photographer wanted to photos at 5:30 too at Harkness Park for the lighting but since it kept raining and we changed dates so many times we ended up just doing it during day when we were all available. I totally understand what you mean with traffic. Df and I were thinking we would have to take a half day because originally had them scheduled for a Friday. I'm sure your pictures will be amazing no matter where you have them done!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #137
CDsSleepingBeauty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
No problem! I have gotten so much useful information from here, I thought I'd try and pass along as much as possible! : I did go ahead and email our floral planner, Laura. I will let you know when she responds!! I actually sent her a lengthy email that I didn't plan on, so she might take a few days to respond, but I will definitely check in once she does!!
Thanks! If you have any pricing questions, I might be able to help. I feel like I've asked my planner for prices on almost everything they offer. I absolutely love your dress, by the way!
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #138
tric8783
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash8716 View Post
I know exactly what you mean, this is how we felt! I hope you are able to keep things at the UK. Can't wait to hear how it goes once you get the BEO hopefully things aren't too far off from what you were expecting. We were going to do a brunch after the wedding but then decided that everyone is probably going to be exhausted and so many people are using this as a vacation that we didn't think many people would attend or would end feeling obligated (Df and I included lol) So since we decided against it we turned the dessert party into a welcome dinner and it probably came out to the same price or less if we were to do both the DP and farewell brunch.

I can't wait to see your e-pics!!! Our photographer wanted to photos at 5:30 too at Harkness Park for the lighting but since it kept raining and we changed dates so many times we ended up just doing it during day when we were all available. I totally understand what you mean with traffic. Df and I were thinking we would have to take a half day because originally had them scheduled for a Friday. I'm sure your pictures will be amazing no matter where you have them done!
That's a good point, I definitely don't want to mess with anyone's vacation plans. We do have a lot of people that are telling me theyre staying through until Monday. I'm thinking maybe very informal like stop by and get something on your way to the park type deal for a few hours only. I'm still up in the air about it really! We are moving over to the Poly on Sunday for our free night before we head off to Aulani on Monday, so I'm hoping to be able to rent a poolside cabana there for DF and I and just relax! One of my BM's birthdays is on 5/6, so we told her and her husband (who is one of DF's BM) we'd go to dinner with them for her birthday. I think we're going to organize going into a park with the group on Friday morning before the rehearsal, assuming most of the group will be there Friday. I guess we'll see- it's so hard trying to guess and figure it all out!!

Our e-pics got postponed! I am slightly bummed, but our photog is a husb & wife team, I correspond with the wife who is so nice, she's been sick and her Grandmother passed away right before we went down to FL so she had to go home to WV, etc etc. I understand they are busy and they want to make an inspiration board for us to theme our e-shoot and come up with some props etc to add to it that tie into 'us' so I'm actually looking forward to see what she says! I love reading her blog, her writing is just amazing! I can't wait to actually read about us on there, it will likely be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about us (hopefully that is... hahha)
We also can't go to the orchard now-- ugh! I emailed them and asked, since the orchards close at 5 and we were meeting around then, and they wrote me back today and said no one is allowed in the orchards past 5. Mary our photog said not to worry she would come up with some place that fit 'us', so we'll see what comes of that! We are rescheduled for next Friday and I'm still so excited! Hopefully the weather is just as nice next Friday as it's supposed to be tomorrow. If it rains I'll be so irritated!! haha
Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #139
tric8783
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsSleepingBeauty View Post
Thanks! If you have any pricing questions, I might be able to help. I feel like I've asked my planner for prices on almost everything they offer. I absolutely love your dress, by the way!

Too funny!! I actually haven't heard back from Laura yet, and I had emailed Maxine on something else that she responded to, so I emailed her my original long email again and got a response. I get so excited to see her last name pop up in my inbox, I'm not sure if that's too normal!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #140
tric8783
DIS Veteran

My family and some cousins have booked their rooms for the wedding (through DVC) and we've got 27 nights so far! So exciting! Poly here we come!

I emailed Maxine today with all the res #s and she added them to our block- yippee!!

Maxine did also tell me she can get us the buttons, she told me she gets them from the front desk at the Grand, but nonetheless to let her know which ones we'd like and how many and she'll get them- yay!

I told her for the DP right now we're going to ask everyone to meet us at the BC, since right now everyone who has booked a room is staying at the BC, then we will all walk to the Epcot entrance to be brought in. I figured it'll save money on transportation and everything else is in this area so it should be easy for everyone to find. Thoughts??

I also asked if there was transportation for us from rehearsal at BC to the RD at Ohana and back. We can get a mini motor coach, but it only holds 25, or we could get 4 8-passenger vans. I haven't seen these vans but the mini motor coach sounds so much nicer. My only issue is right now we have 26 adults and 3 kids under 3. I wonder if they will say the kids can't ride on laps and will count towards the 25, or if we could squeeze one more person or how strict they are. Or who I could talk to in my fam and get them to drive separate and not ride on the bus (thinking my mom... hmm)

I don't remember if I shared but I also asked if I could place signs around (at the beach, at SBP, at the reception) and she said yes, to all! I also asked if we could hang strings between a few columns at SBP and attach pictures with clothespins or some sort of pins. I saw this on Pinterest and thought it was so fun! My plan is to print out at least one picture of each confirmed guest we have and put it there for them to find! I really like making things very personal and adding small touches, she said we can check with floral but most likely we could do it - (This was one of my 25 things on my email to Laura)

so now also waiting to hear back from Laura on the 25 things I asked her!

Also I found the thread on here for DVC point rentals and forwarded to some of my BMs, if they get a two bedroom and split it by 4 couples, they can def get a steal! I don't know anything about renting points but it seems like a win-win. Anyone rented and had a good experience? Hopefully nothing too terrible!?

It's almost Friday-- yay!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #141
CDsSleepingBeauty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Too funny!! I actually haven't heard back from Laura yet, and I had emailed Maxine on something else that she responded to, so I emailed her my original long email again and got a response. I get so excited to see her last name pop up in my inbox, I'm not sure if that's too normal!
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who does that! We're only a few days away from being able to make rehearsal dinner reservations!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #142
tric8783
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who does that! We're only a few days away from being able to make rehearsal dinner reservations!
me too! So glad I saw your tip on 190 days, yippee!!
Fingers crossed we both get in where we want!
Old 10-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #143
tric8783
DIS Veteran

Morning ladies!
I have some family drama I'd like some opinions on!

DF's family is large, (compared to mine anyway) so they probably take up about 1/2 of our guest list. All of them live near us, and we celebrate everything as one large group, we have at least one family party a month, and the ALL come.. to every.single.one. So to say I know these people and feel comfortable with them after 7 years is an understatement! DF didn't go away to school, he didn't live on campus either, so he has his core group of friends from HS and that's about it, which to me is great, shows he's loyal, really cares about them, and they all really are great. When we first started dating, I really wished my family were close like that, I have cousins, aunts and uncles, etc, but my parents lost touch with most of them, I haven't hung out with any of them since I was little and the connection is just basically gone.

So my side for our guest list consists of my parents, my two siblings and their husband and gf, one of my cousins that lives in FL, and my uncle that lives in CA, both the cousin and uncle are on my mom's side. We don't talk to my dad's side since my grandparents passed and that just is what it is. I did go away to school and I'm pretty social, so I have about 40 friends that I'm inviting, DF has the family and I have the friends. It actually balances in my mind.

My mom recently had an old friend pass away and since then she's been trying to re-connect with her side of the family. In my view, I think she is trying to use my wedding as some sort of family reunion. She wants to invite her sister (that I have only met twice in my life and I'm 28), and a few other cousins I also have only met a few times. I am very adament in telling her no, they are not being invited. We are having a destination wedding for a reason, we both want it to be small and intimate. I really don't want people I don't know at the wedding and DF agrees. My mom keeps sending me guilt emails trying to make me give in and say they can be invited, telling me it's sad I'm not considering other people's feelings, that we're inviting all of DF's family and none of mine, etc. At this point DF's family is my big family and I don't consider people I don't even know my family. I can't say that to her of course!
My mom also wanted to invite them to the engagement party and I told her no, since they were not being invited to the wedding. She went behind my back and invited them herself anyway, and then none of them showed up.

Am I being totally unreasonable?? Part of me says just give in, she is paying, who cares. But a bigger part of me says I don't want people I don't know coming to my wedding, it will make me feel awkward and uncomfortable and I don't want my wedding to be some family reunion where we don't see or talk to them again for another 20 years. Ugh!! What to do??
Old 10-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #144
Ash8716
Disney Maniac

Quote:
That's a good point, I definitely don't want to mess with anyone's vacation plans. We do have a lot of people that are telling me theyre staying through until Monday. I'm thinking maybe very informal like stop by and get something on your way to the park type deal for a few hours only. I'm still up in the air about it really! We are moving over to the Poly on Sunday for our free night before we head off to Aulani on Monday, so I'm hoping to be able to rent a poolside cabana there for DF and I and just relax! One of my BM's birthdays is on 5/6, so we told her and her husband (who is one of DF's BM) we'd go to dinner with them for her birthday. I think we're going to organize going into a park with the group on Friday morning before the rehearsal, assuming most of the group will be there Friday. I guess we'll see- it's so hard trying to guess and figure it all out!!

Our e-pics got postponed! I am slightly bummed, but our photog is a husb & wife team, I correspond with the wife who is so nice, she's been sick and her Grandmother passed away right before we went down to FL so she had to go home to WV, etc etc. I understand they are busy and they want to make an inspiration board for us to theme our e-shoot and come up with some props etc to add to it that tie into 'us' so I'm actually looking forward to see what she says! I love reading her blog, her writing is just amazing! I can't wait to actually read about us on there, it will likely be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about us (hopefully that is... hahha)
We also can't go to the orchard now-- ugh! I emailed them and asked, since the orchards close at 5 and we were meeting around then, and they wrote me back today and said no one is allowed in the orchards past 5. Mary our photog said not to worry she would come up with some place that fit 'us', so we'll see what comes of that! We are rescheduled for next Friday and I'm still so excited! Hopefully the weather is just as nice next Friday as it's supposed to be tomorrow. If it rains I'll be so irritated!! haha

Sorry to hear that your photos got postponed but it sounds like they are going to do some fun stuff with the two of you. I can't wait to see what they come up with. Guess it was better to have them delayed so you can get some props together! Hopefully you can come up with a new place for your pictures. There's a place in Somers called Worthington Pond. It is really pretty, great foliage, a pond, covered bridges and more. I know its a little out of the way but it is pretty this time of the year so maybe something to check out. We were thinking about doing our photos here before our photographer mentioned the areas in New London.

By the way I am totally jealous you are doing Aulani!!! Df and I wanted to do this but don't have three weeks vacation to take. We are in Disney for two weeks because of our MK shoot!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #145
Ash8716
Disney Maniac

Quote:
My family and some cousins have booked their rooms for the wedding (through DVC) and we've got 27 nights so far! So exciting! Poly here we come!

I emailed Maxine today with all the res #s and she added them to our block- yippee!!

Maxine did also tell me she can get us the buttons, she told me she gets them from the front desk at the Grand, but nonetheless to let her know which ones we'd like and how many and she'll get them- yay!

I told her for the DP right now we're going to ask everyone to meet us at the BC, since right now everyone who has booked a room is staying at the BC, then we will all walk to the Epcot entrance to be brought in. I figured it'll save money on transportation and everything else is in this area so it should be easy for everyone to find. Thoughts??

I also asked if there was transportation for us from rehearsal at BC to the RD at Ohana and back. We can get a mini motor coach, but it only holds 25, or we could get 4 8-passenger vans. I haven't seen these vans but the mini motor coach sounds so much nicer. My only issue is right now we have 26 adults and 3 kids under 3. I wonder if they will say the kids can't ride on laps and will count towards the 25, or if we could squeeze one more person or how strict they are. Or who I could talk to in my fam and get them to drive separate and not ride on the bus (thinking my mom... hmm)

I don't remember if I shared but I also asked if I could place signs around (at the beach, at SBP, at the reception) and she said yes, to all! I also asked if we could hang strings between a few columns at SBP and attach pictures with clothespins or some sort of pins. I saw this on Pinterest and thought it was so fun! My plan is to print out at least one picture of each confirmed guest we have and put it there for them to find! I really like making things very personal and adding small touches, she said we can check with floral but most likely we could do it - (This was one of my 25 things on my email to Laura)

so now also waiting to hear back from Laura on the 25 things I asked her!

Also I found the thread on here for DVC point rentals and forwarded to some of my BMs, if they get a two bedroom and split it by 4 couples, they can def get a steal! I don't know anything about renting points but it seems like a win-win. Anyone rented and had a good experience? Hopefully nothing too terrible!?

It's almost Friday-- yay!!!
Yay! Can't believe you have so many nights already. I think having everyone meet you at BC is a great idea. I don't see any need for transportation. We aren't using it either. Most of our guests we figure will be in the park that day and for the few that won't be will be met at the gate by a CM. It seems crazy to have to pay all that money for buses. I think your guests will be fine with it!

Glad to hear your planner is giving you the ok on everything you want to use for the ceremony/cocktail hour!!! BTW I bet your planner will be fine with the kids sitting on laps if you wanted to do the mini motor coach. It doesn't seem any different than if you were to do that on the magical express or park transportation buses.

Quote:
Morning ladies!
I have some family drama I'd like some opinions on!

DF's family is large, (compared to mine anyway) so they probably take up about 1/2 of our guest list. All of them live near us, and we celebrate everything as one large group, we have at least one family party a month, and the ALL come.. to every.single.one. So to say I know these people and feel comfortable with them after 7 years is an understatement! DF didn't go away to school, he didn't live on campus either, so he has his core group of friends from HS and that's about it, which to me is great, shows he's loyal, really cares about them, and they all really are great. When we first started dating, I really wished my family were close like that, I have cousins, aunts and uncles, etc, but my parents lost touch with most of them, I haven't hung out with any of them since I was little and the connection is just basically gone.

So my side for our guest list consists of my parents, my two siblings and their husband and gf, one of my cousins that lives in FL, and my uncle that lives in CA, both the cousin and uncle are on my mom's side. We don't talk to my dad's side since my grandparents passed and that just is what it is. I did go away to school and I'm pretty social, so I have about 40 friends that I'm inviting, DF has the family and I have the friends. It actually balances in my mind.

My mom recently had an old friend pass away and since then she's been trying to re-connect with her side of the family. In my view, I think she is trying to use my wedding as some sort of family reunion. She wants to invite her sister (that I have only met twice in my life and I'm 28), and a few other cousins I also have only met a few times. I am very adament in telling her no, they are not being invited. We are having a destination wedding for a reason, we both want it to be small and intimate. I really don't want people I don't know at the wedding and DF agrees. My mom keeps sending me guilt emails trying to make me give in and say they can be invited, telling me it's sad I'm not considering other people's feelings, that we're inviting all of DF's family and none of mine, etc. At this point DF's family is my big family and I don't consider people I don't even know my family. I can't say that to her of course!
My mom also wanted to invite them to the engagement party and I told her no, since they were not being invited to the wedding. She went behind my back and invited them herself anyway, and then none of them showed up.

Am I being totally unreasonable?? Part of me says just give in, she is paying, who cares. But a bigger part of me says I don't want people I don't know coming to my wedding, it will make me feel awkward and uncomfortable and I don't want my wedding to be some family reunion where we don't see or talk to them again for another 20 years. Ugh!! What to do??
I don't think you are being unreasonable at all but weddings are so tough. There is always that guilt that you have to invite certain people which I don't understand. My side is mostly family as we have a big family most of which is close to me since we all live locally. I too didn't live away at school so have a small group of close friends invited. Df on the other hand has a smaller family and most of his relatives live in Michigan and aren't coming so he has mainly friends. Anyway we have gone back and fourth on what was the right thing to do when inviting people. For me part of why I wanted a destination wedding was because I wanted it smaller than normal and I new this would help. We aren't close to my dad's family but ended up making a compromise. We invited his siblings and my grandparents on his side but not my cousins. There are just too many of them and I don't see them much and I'm not close to any of them. Maybe there is some kind of compromise you can make with your mom. She is paying but it is also your day and you want to be around the people who mean something to you! Just because Df has a lot of family doesn't mean you should, there is a difference, you see his family a LOT! Hopefully you two can work something out Just try and let her see your point of view.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #146
MissTeacher
Waiting for Prince Charming

Just read through your PJ, and I love all of your decisions so far! I can identify with the family situation. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. Even though your mom's paying, it is still YOUR day. There will be plenty of other times to meet up with long-lost family members.

1996 WDW/Sea World Off-property
2002 WDW Off-property
December 2004 WDW/ High School Chorus Trip Off-property
August 2010 WDW All-Star Music
March 2012 Off-property
MissTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #147
CDsSleepingBeauty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
me too! So glad I saw your tip on 190 days, yippee!!
Fingers crossed we both get in where we want!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, too! Let me know when you get your reservations!

As for the family situation, I think you should invite exactly who YOU want to invite because it is YOUR day. We are paying for our wedding ourselves, so that might make it a little easier, but we made sure we invited exactly who WE wanted to invite. I can see where your situation might be a little harder to deal with. If you do end up choosing to invite them, I wouldn't worry about it too much because it sounds like they probably wouldn't come anyway.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #148
tric8783
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash8716 View Post
Yay! Can't believe you have so many nights already. I think having everyone meet you at BC is a great idea. I don't see any need for transportation. We aren't using it either. Most of our guests we figure will be in the park that day and for the few that won't be will be met at the gate by a CM. It seems crazy to have to pay all that money for buses. I think your guests will be fine with it!

Glad to hear your planner is giving you the ok on everything you want to use for the ceremony/cocktail hour!!! BTW I bet your planner will be fine with the kids sitting on laps if you wanted to do the mini motor coach. It doesn't seem any different than if you were to do that on the magical express or park transportation buses.

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all but weddings are so tough. There is always that guilt that you have to invite certain people which I don't understand. My side is mostly family as we have a big family most of which is close to me since we all live locally. I too didn't live away at school so have a small group of close friends invited. Df on the other hand has a smaller family and most of his relatives live in Michigan and aren't coming so he has mainly friends. Anyway we have gone back and fourth on what was the right thing to do when inviting people. For me part of why I wanted a destination wedding was because I wanted it smaller than normal and I new this would help. We aren't close to my dad's family but ended up making a compromise. We invited his siblings and my grandparents on his side but not my cousins. There are just too many of them and I don't see them much and I'm not close to any of them. Maybe there is some kind of compromise you can make with your mom. She is paying but it is also your day and you want to be around the people who mean something to you! Just because Df has a lot of family doesn't mean you should, there is a difference, you see his family a LOT! Hopefully you two can work something out Just try and let her see your point of view.
I am so glad we already have so many rooms, even though it's only like 10 people that are booked it makes it seem more real!! I'm really glad Maxine told me we can have signage and etc too, I think they will be really cute for pictures and add a little something special! I did ask her again how strict they are, so I'm hoping she says the kids can sit on laps! I also realized I had counted DF's grandfather who isn't coming (he's on oxygen, has too much pride for a wheelchair etc etc) so we are really at 25 adults, perfect for the mini coach! I hope!

I'm still in the air about the family, but after a family party this weekend I'm really thinking of just giving in at this point - I'll post about this below!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #149
tric8783
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeacher View Post
Just read through your PJ, and I love all of your decisions so far! I can identify with the family situation. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. Even though your mom's paying, it is still YOUR day. There will be plenty of other times to meet up with long-lost family members.
Thanks for joining in! I can use all the advice and help there is!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #150
tric8783
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, too! Let me know when you get your reservations!

As for the family situation, I think you should invite exactly who YOU want to invite because it is YOUR day. We are paying for our wedding ourselves, so that might make it a little easier, but we made sure we invited exactly who WE wanted to invite. I can see where your situation might be a little harder to deal with. If you do end up choosing to invite them, I wouldn't worry about it too much because it sounds like they probably wouldn't come anyway.
I will definitely let you know! We actually are probably right at that point, my ticker says 6 mos, a week and a few days! I better get on a calculator and get on the phone!!

You're def right! I'll post more about this below!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: