Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #46
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!
Survived the 'Sweet Baby Jesus" drive

Location: Western MA home of the Big Y, the Big E and cider donuts

Can't wait to read all about your trip! Have a great time!

Treehouse Villas, Dec 11/Jan 12, Treehouse Villas Dec 10/Jan 11, SSR Dec 09/Jan 10, SSR Dec 08/Jan 09, Wonder 3 Night Jan 08, SSR Dec 07/Jan 08, Grand Californian June 2007, SSR March 2007, Omni Dec 06/Jan 07, SSR March 2005, Beach Club / 3 Night Cruise March 2004, Hilton Head Island Easter 2003, Boardwalk Villas March 2002, Boardwalk Villas March 2001

DVC Member 2000
EDuke98080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #47
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

In the past, I have been tired from flying and I've experienced jet lag (I think), but I have never experienced anything like yesterday.

After landing and getting to the hotel, we met a bunch of folks in the lobby. Some of them had been here a day or two and some were just checking in like us.

After dropping stuff in our room, were invited to lunch by Pete, Walter, Becx and Gavin (they live here). Half of us took a taxi and half of us walked to the West End and enjoyed a terrific lunch at Steak and Co.

It was during lunch that I realized exactly how tired I was. I kept being told that it was too early in the day to sleep and that I should try to make it until at least 7 or 8 pm before going to sleep or I was never going to be able to make it through the night and my sleep pattern would be ruined until I reached retirement age.

After lunch, we walked to Covent Garden for coffee and dessert. Again, I realized that I was nodding. We strolled Covent Garden...bought some trinkets and that was it. I had to go back to the hotel or I was findin a bench and laying down.

The trip back to the hotel was filled with more horror stories about what would befall me if I took an afternoon nap.

We get back and John decides to walk to the little corner store for some bottled water while I checked email.

Needless to say, I was asleep before he got to the elevator.

Upon his retrun, I was woken up with yet more admonitionsnabout napping.

To make this long story shorter....we both fell asleep, woke up around 8ish, order room service and then fell asleep again.

It's 6:53am according to my iPad and I'm getting ready to go visit the Queen at Bckingham Palace.

Slept all night and if we didn't have something to do, I'd go back to sleep.

So much for m glorious first day in London.

I'm going to make up for it today.

More later.

Cherrio!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 AM   #48
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

That explains my sleeping patterns as well - sympathetic sleeping (or not sleeping).

Have a great visit with HRM.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #49
Royster83
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Thrilled to be here.
Thrilled you're all only 126 3/4 miles away, by rail... See you Sunday.

Quote:
In the past, I have been tired from flying and I've experienced jet lag (I think), but I have never experienced anything like yesterday.
Whenever I've come back from Florida it's HELL, there is no other way to describe it!

Quote:
Becx and Gavin (they live here).
Don't they live in Brum? I think you might need to get used to being in a SMALL country

Roy

Royster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #50
Royster83
Mouseketeer

Glad everyone has arrived safely... Safe travels to those that are yet to come!

Welcome to England!
(I've never had a use for that cloud nine thing before!)

Roy

Royster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:24 AM   #51
brer_rabbit
Mouseketeer

Loving the photos - keep them coming

Hope you all enjoy Buckingham Palace - another nice sunny day today

Kevin - jetlag from flying USA to UK is always hell for me too. Sleep is definitely the best thing though!

brer_rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:51 AM   #52
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Kevin - we do that flight twice a year. DH can sleep a couple of hours on the plane and then go all day till a normal bedtime and we usually wake a little late the next day. I however can only cat nap on the plane do the drive home and then need to SLEEP - I have a nap (usually 2 hours ish) in the afternoon get up for dinner and then go to bed normal time and sleep a lot more!

As long as you are out and about today and don't go to bed early tonight you will be fine for the rest of trip

Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #53
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

AAAAA! I'm so excited for you and jealous! I'm fascinated with all things British and British history. It is my dream to get there! LUCKY!!
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #54
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Kevin and John....have a wonderful trip...you've looked forward to this for a long time...Enjoy. I will follow along through tomorrow, then on Sunday we leave for Orlando. I will have lots to read when I get back home.

I wish everyone on this ABD trip a great time !!!

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #55
Sweetpeamd
Mouseketeer

I'm following along! I am so excited for all of you, best wishes for a fabulous vacation!

[COLOR="Magenta"]1977-2007 Off Property Visits [COLOR="Lime"]2008 Beach Club [COLOR="Magenta"]2009 Beach Club [COLOR="Lime"]2010 Beach Club Villas[COLOR="Magenta"] 2010 Saratoga Springs 2011 Saratoga Springs2011 BLT 2012 OKW 2012 BLT

Me DH DS12
DD10 DS8 DD6
Sweetpeamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #56
DISNUT21
Mouseketeer

So Jealous! Hope you all had safe flights in, and I cannot wait to hear more about your adventure!
DISNUT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #57
DISMapper
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
We got in about 30 minutes before John and Kevin and were at the Hotel by 11. Here is my PSA for when traveling overseas. Please do not take your pants off to sleep in your underwear and black socks on the Plane. I am pleading with you all. My eyes are still burning! First class does not equal no class! Pics to follow (but not of the dude in his undies)!
What about sleeping in your underwear and white socks???? Just kidding! I believe I would have gouged my eyes out. In the south we have a saying...Some folks just ain't got no raising!

Have a great trip!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #58
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

It looks like you guys are having beautiful weather! I hope everyone has a great time!

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
aspen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #59
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Jet lag be damned...they are seeing the Queen's eggs today!
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #60
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

Quote:

After landing and getting to the hotel, we met a bunch of folks in the lobby. Some of them had been here a day or two and some were just checking in like us.

After dropping stuff in our room, were invited to lunch by Pete, Walter, Becx and Gavin (they live here). Half of us took a taxi and half of us walked to the West End and enjoyed a terrific lunch at Steak and Co.

It was during lunch that I realized exactly how tired I was. I kept being told that it was too early in the day to sleep and that I should try to make it until at least 7 or 8 pm before going to sleep or I was never going to be able to make it through the night and my sleep pattern would be ruined until I reached retirement age.

After lunch, we walked to Covent Garden for coffee and dessert. Again, I realized that I was nodding. We strolled Covent Garden...bought some trinkets and that was it. I had to go back to the hotel or I was findin a bench and laying down.

The trip back to the hotel was filled with more horror stories about what would befall me if I took an afternoon nap.

We get back and John decides to walk to the little corner store for some bottled water while I checked email.

Needless to say, I was asleep before he got to the elevator.

Upon his retrun, I was woken up with yet more admonitionsnabout napping.

To make this long story shorter....we both fell asleep, woke up around 8ish, order room service and then fell asleep again.

It's 6:53am according to my iPad and I'm getting ready to go visit the Queen at Bckingham Palace.

Slept all night and if we didn't have something to do, I'd go back to sleep.

So much for m glorious first day in London.

I'm going to make up for it today.

More later.

Cherrio!
I feel your pain Kevin. I went to London and had the worst jet lag. I had a huge headache that did not go away for the rest of the day and I was so tired. I just wanted to go the hotel as sleep. But no we had to get on the tour bus. I think I feel asleep halfway through the tour but my sister kept waking me up.

The rest of it was good. Say Hello to the Queen. "Victoria" that is you will be seeing alot of her throughout london. Let us know if you visit the area where "Mary Poppin's" Banks home is based on. We didn't get over there.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: