DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
DisneyFan68
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaron2 View Post
Im curious as to when we will be able to buy into Aulani again? Has anyone heard when sales could ebgin again?
I'm wondering the same thing. Been waiting for our guide to call us for almost 2 months now to schedule us to come in for signing... Last I heard, Disney filed the paperwork on Monday and was just waiting for the State's approval to proceed. Not sure how long the State will take though...
DisneyFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #17
GoofItUp
DIS Veteran

When we stayed at the Mariott Ko Olina several years ago there were 3 coves that you could snorkel in. I'm not sure how the snorkeling was -- I was 3 months pregnant at the time and the only nauseating experience I had was when I tried to snorkel! Are there still areas on the beach that you could snorkel in for free?

Off Site - 06/87, Off Site - 06/93, ASM - 11/01, Dolphin - 11/03, CBR - 01/06, POR - 09/07 FIRST TRIP WITH DS-10 mo!, Off-Site - 06/08 (DH's conference, so DS and I hit the parks!), BCV - 03/09 DS#2 was sick, so DH & DS#1 went alone! , DL Fairfield - 10/09 First Trip to DL & DS#2's first trip to a Disney Park!, 06/10 - BWV (Our first trip as OWNERS!), 06/11 - AKV-Kidani, 03/12-BWV, 06/12 - Not sure where yet!
GoofItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #18
slowly
Crazy for DCL

Great review Jeff! We are looking forward to our adventure this weekend! I will take a lot of pictures and hopefully be as detailed as you.

We are going to try the Dinner buffet inaddition, we received brunch and snokeling passes for the reservation snafu they had earlier this yr but made up for it very nicely as Disney always does.

Great job!
slowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #19
slowly
Crazy for DCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan68 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. Been waiting for our guide to call us for almost 2 months now to schedule us to come in for signing... Last I heard, Disney filed the paperwork on Monday and was just waiting for the State's approval to proceed. Not sure how long the State will take though...
Honestly my suggestion would be to buy other DVC properties such as Bay Lake & Animal Kingdom if they are available. Here are my reasons:
  1. It is probably cheaper per pt. More importantly the annual fees will be lower by far
  2. Even though you will "only" get a 7 month window there are a lot more Villas available at Aulani where an 11 month window is not really an issue especially if you live in HI.
  3. If you live in HI, you will need an 11 month window at a Mainland resort.
  4. A friend of ours had no problems booking for Labor Day weekend with his 7 month window. We booked using a friend who had the 11 month window by transfering points to theirs.

Back in 2009 we decided to buy the Grand Californian knowing Aulani was going to be built. This was the best thing for us since the GCV only has about 48 Villas! Didn't know that at the time but it works for us since we have the 11 month window plus we saw ourselves going to CA as a family more than FL.
slowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #20
DisneyFan68
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowly View Post
Honestly my suggestion would be to buy other DVC properties such as Bay Lake & Animal Kingdom if they are available. Here are my reasons:
  1. It is probably cheaper per pt. More importantly the annual fees will be lower by far
  2. Even though you will "only" get a 7 month window there are a lot more Villas available at Aulani where an 11 month window is not really an issue especially if you live in HI.
  3. If you live in HI, you will need an 11 month window at a Mainland resort.
  4. A friend of ours had no problems booking for Labor Day weekend with his 7 month window. We booked using a friend who had the 11 month window by transfering points to theirs.

Back in 2009 we decided to buy the Grand Californian knowing Aulani was going to be built. This was the best thing for us since the GCV only has about 48 Villas! Didn't know that at the time but it works for us since we have the 11 month window plus we saw ourselves going to CA as a family more than FL.
That is EXCELLENT advice. Now you got me thinking... Maybe VGC resale would be a better choice for us... Hmmm... Any more advice for this newbie? I'd love to hear it.
DisneyFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:30 AM   #21
jmatias
Hawaii, BWV & BCV...the best places to call Home!

We live on Oahu and own points at BCV, BWV, VWL and AKL

Was able to book ressies for this weekend as well as November within the 7 month window. Since we live 30 mins away, we feel that we don't need to own Aulani points since we can book last minute ressies.

Hawaii maint fees tend to be high at all timeshare resorts across the islands.

Right now, we don't feel the need to own Aulani points as our other DVC points work just fine for what we need.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #22
rparmfamily
In paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatias View Post
We live on Oahu and own points at BCV, BWV, VWL and AKL

Was able to book ressies for this weekend as well as November within the 7 month window. Since we live 30 mins away, we feel that we don't need to own Aulani points since we can book last minute ressies.

Hawaii maint fees tend to be high at all timeshare resorts across the islands.

Right now, we don't feel the need to own Aulani points as our other DVC points work just fine for what we need.
Agree on this. We live over by the airport and own at BLT and SSR. There is no need for us to buy Aulani right now. We check-in tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:56 AM   #23
jerseygal
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up Thanks Jeff for the great review!Can't wait, Sept.2013!

Thank Jeff for the very detailed review!

Such a great thing to look forward to!
10 nights Sept/Oct.2013(Haven't yet decided)..30th Anniversary, God Willing!

This resort looks so so outstanding! I'm not concerned that we'll get Ko Alina at 7 months! Think we'll do the oceanfront studio...Should be SO SO AWESOME! FIRST CHILDLESS VACATION IN 30 YEARS!

All the pics of Ko Alina Aulani look gorgeous beyond words!
jerseygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #24
spleen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofItUp View Post
When we stayed at the Mariott Ko Olina several years ago there were 3 coves that you could snorkel in. I'm not sure how the snorkeling was -- I was 3 months pregnant at the time and the only nauseating experience I had was when I tried to snorkel! Are there still areas on the beach that you could snorkel in for free?
Snorkeling in the coves tends to be pretty murky - it clears up quite a bit outside the coves but the wave action can be quite fierce depending on the conditions and certainly wouldn't be for beginners. But yes, in the coves would be free.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
tamclan
Mouseketeer

Length of stay rentals

Jeff

Planning on staying 10 nights June 2012. Do you happen to know if the $99 length of stay include beach chairs and umbrellas or just snorkel gear?

Thanks for all of the information provided thus far.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #26
mkymsehi
I'd rather be at Disneyland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamclan View Post
Jeff

Planning on staying 10 nights June 2012. Do you happen to know if the $99 length of stay include beach chairs and umbrellas or just snorkel gear?

Thanks for all of the information provided thus far.
My pleasure. Any local information, I will gladly provide.

Oooh, good question. I have to guess for now, that it's just the snorkel gear for Rainbow Reef. I'll try to remember to ask in 2 weeks when we go back.

There are beach attendants that have a shack down at the beach cove. I didn't go down there to poke around, but I saw paddleboards, and beach lounge chairs.

At the pools, there are hundreds of lounge chairs that are free. They also have cabana rentals, but I didn't inquire about the fees.

There are two local companies that rents all kinds of beach gear, baby gear, and they even deliver and pick up. I don't have any experience of how good they are.

http://www.travelbabees.com/(S(zqblz...laqwpb33pyi))/

http://hawaiibeachtime.com/

One other thing, the Purple Locker company that rents storage bins in WDW... the owner hasn't decided if he will expand that service here. I personally spoke to him in January, 2011 when I was there. I told him to contact me if he planned on starting it up here, and I'd work part time for him. LOL.

SIDE NOTE: I'm leaving today for Disneyland to run the half marathon. I won't be around to answer questions until next week. Not taking the laptop with me, so save your questions about Hawaii/Aulani until then.

95, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 Honolulu Marathon

06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 Disneyland Half Marathon
08 Goofy Race and a Half Challenge (08, 09, 10, 11, 12 Coast to Coast medal); 09 Dopey Challenge; 10 Dumbo Challenge, 11 Dopey Challenge.
09, 10 Honolulu Tinman Triathlon; Inaugural Halloween Triathlon
10 Marine Corps Marathon
11 Nashville RNR County Music Marathon
12 Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon
mkymsehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #27
PinMan
Mouseketeer

thanks Jeff awaiting your return as we are going to celebrate our 25th anniversary 3rd week of Sept. we would love to hear more , any info would be great .
Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #28
shon
Earning My Ears

Great review Jeff!!

My family will be arriving on the 8th of January and staying for 13 days so the costs of the snorkeling/rental etc isn't so bad. I'm wondering about the $99 pass though, can I only get one chair/umbrella? Or would me and wife both need passes to get 2 chairs? I'd rather just get the one individual pass and then 3 passes for the rest of the family. I hope I'm making sense!

I do hope that there are some perks by that time as well! Still contemplating whether I need a car for the whole stay not? Is there enough to do at Aulani for 13 days? My children are 7 and 4, so not quite sure.... My past stays in Hawaii, I've always had a car for food runs and such, any suggestions?
shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #29
mkymsehi

They even thought of those who have an electric car. This is in the parking lot. But of course you must insert your credit card. LOL, the mouse gets his cheese.

08 Goofy Race and a Half Challenge (08, 09, 10, 11, 12 Coast to Coast medal); 09 Dopey Challenge; 10 Dumbo Challenge, 11 Dopey Challenge.
10 Marine Corps Marathon

Last edited by mkymsehi; 10-11-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #30
mkymsehi

The $99 offer has been discontinued for several weeks. No word if the price is being adjusted, or they've done away with it permanently.

Last night (10/10/11) the sign at the Rainbow Reef showed this change on the snorkel experience.

The sign no longer has any info on the chair/umbrella/beach equipment.

You can rent a car from Alamo, and drop it off at Aulani. Then rent for the day at Aulani that you need to go sightseeing, and return it back at the end of the day. You want to avoid paying $35 a day for parking.

10 Marine Corps Marathon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: