Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #76
Shivatopia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitemasque View Post
I have a question....
I literally had no idea Ariel had come out (I've been dealing with some personal matters and was oblivious), she is my absolute favorite of the series and the only doll I am interested in purchasing. Of course, she's sold out, and people on ebay are ripping off fans like me.
The salesgirl at my Disney store confused me...so do they get more dolls during the week, or on Mondays?? Or is it JUST the new doll?

I'm reallllllllllly hoping Disney takes back it's limited qualities policy on these dolls. Ever fan who genuinely wants one should be able to purchase one.
The trend so far has been that the new featured princess doll is released on Monday. The retail stores appear to have received up to 12-14 dolls of the LE 8000 dolls (but there have been reports that some stores received significantly less, like 3 only). Some stores received a second shipment of Cinderella dolls sometime after Ariel was released, also in varied quantities per store. The Ariel doll was listed as sold out online by the end of her first week, and I don't know if any of the retail stores received a second shipment of her. (Can anyone confirm this?) The Belle dolls were listed as sold out online in less than 48 hours of her release, but the retail stores did receive second shipments for her as early as the Wednesday after her release. Cinderella sold out online the same day that Belle did (so a little over 2 weeks after her release date).

Sadly, there is no consistency with what Disney is doing with distribution. I think it would have been better to follow their Cinderella model of waiting a week before sending more dolls to the stores, so that people did have more opportunity to buy a doll online, as opposed to the Belle model, which gave a 1 1/2 day window of opportunity to buy her online. The problem with second shipments to the retail stores is that no one can predict if and/or when it will happen.

Unfortunately, based on the sound of things, the only way to get an Ariel doll now would be venues like eBay (and the price hikes have been unbelievable), unless disneystore.com "magically" finds more dolls and relists them online, like they have with other limited edition items in the past (which have mostly been pins, from my own observations).
Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #77
*sarah*
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivatopia View Post
unless disneystore.com "magically" finds more dolls and relists them online, like they have with other limited edition items in the past (which have mostly been pins, from my own observations).
That is something I've never understood. I look at the pins online. Limited Edition. Then they are not online anymore as if they are sold out. Then a while later they reappear. Most recently noticed it with an Ariel pin I ordered from the 110th Legacy Collection. But other things I wish for them to bring back they never do. Like when they had all the new neat Ariel stuff for the opening of the new ride at DL, I ordered the scarf (which sold out so quick) but I also was wanting to purse, but they sold out before I could order it. And I have never seen it since

Commando #133

*sarah* is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #78
Chalda
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone. I got my Ariel and Cinderella today by mail. I guess I should feel really fortunate. I was at D23 and got to see all of the dolls in person there. I decided that Ariel and Cinderella were the only ones I was really interested in buying and they just happened to be the first two out.

Anyway, when they were on display they were in their boxes but fixed up from how they are delivered. They did not have the plastic backing holding them up, the plastic in their hair and holding pieces down were not there. I know disney had to do it so they didn't look bad on delivery but are you guys opening them up to fix them up like a real display? What kind of doll stands are you using? I guess the standard barbie ones probably work. I know this kills resell value but I plan to keep them and would rather have them looking nice.

Opinions?
Chalda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #79
Chalda
Earning My Ears

Oh, also I know they were offering packages of the dolls at D23. Pay for all 10 dolls and they get shipped to you once they have all been released. I'm not sure how many people took up on that but that could be affecting the number of dolls released into stores and online
Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #80
Chalda
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sarah* View Post
That is something I've never understood. I look at the pins online. Limited Edition. Then they are not online anymore as if they are sold out. Then a while later they reappear. Most recently noticed it with an Ariel pin I ordered from the 110th Legacy Collection. But other things I wish for them to bring back they never do. Like when they had all the new neat Ariel stuff for the opening of the new ride at DL, I ordered the scarf (which sold out so quick) but I also was wanting to purse, but they sold out before I could order it. And I have never seen it since
I got the incredibly expensive jacket. Once it got to me it was way too small. I had to return it but of course larger sizes were gone
Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #81
*sarah*
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalda View Post
Hi everyone. I got my Ariel and Cinderella today by mail. I guess I should feel really fortunate. I was at D23 and got to see all of the dolls in person there. I decided that Ariel and Cinderella were the only ones I was really interested in buying and they just happened to be the first two out.

Anyway, when they were on display they were in their boxes but fixed up from how they are delivered. They did not have the plastic backing holding them up, the plastic in their hair and holding pieces down were not there. I know disney had to do it so they didn't look bad on delivery but are you guys opening them up to fix them up like a real display? What kind of doll stands are you using? I guess the standard barbie ones probably work. I know this kills resell value but I plan to keep them and would rather have them looking nice.

Opinions?
Mine came exactly how they were displayed at the store. Where Ariel is posing. So I just came home and put the whole display case on my shelf.

Quote:
I got the incredibly expensive jacket. Once it got to me it was way too small. I had to return it but of course larger sizes were gone
Grr, that really stinks!!!

Commando #133

Old 09-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #82
Chalda
Earning My Ears

The time I saw them was at the preview at Expo D23. This was before any of the releases. I imagine that they took the dolls out of the boxes to set them up. What I'm referring to is the clear plastic that sits behind the doll and the ties and things that keep them in place. I just don't think all that stuff looks good in the case. I'm thinking that I will take them out and put them on a doll stand. Maybe it's just me
Old 09-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #83
Shivatopia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The time I saw them was at the preview at Expo D23. This was before any of the releases. I imagine that they took the dolls out of the boxes to set them up. What I'm referring to is the clear plastic that sits behind the doll and the ties and things that keep them in place. I just don't think all that stuff looks good in the case. I'm thinking that I will take them out and put them on a doll stand. Maybe it's just me
No, I totally understand where you are coming from on this. The plastic does look a little strange if you look too closely. As a doll collector, myself, I am super tempted to rearrange some of the dolls from the way they are factory-packaged, but of course, one must keep in mind that doing so will destroy their resale value considerably. However, if you plan on keeping them, you should definitely display them as you like. They are there for your enjoyment. Certainly, if I were better at styling doll hair, I would totally take down Aurora's updo so her hair looked more traditional, and I would try to make Belle's updo look like her design sketch.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #84
*sarah*
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh okay, I understand what you mean. Sorry I wasn't totally clear earlier. I thought you meant it came without the plastic in there. I think at a Hobby Lobby or Micheals you could find a doll stand or different style of display case. I say she's yours so fix her up however you want!

Commando #133

Old 09-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #85
kjack89048
Mouseketeer

Looking for Cinderella doll!

I had no idea these would be so popular! I saw cinderella doll last friday and she had been out for 2 weeks so I went home told my fiancee that is what I wanted for my wedding present. I told him to get her soon! He went back a week later and they were all gone! He feels horrible now for telling me I was crazy they would be gone! If anyone has one they would like to sell I would be so greatful as they are very expensive on ebay! It's a shame people do that to people who just want the doll!

Also how much are the mugs? I did not see them at my store.
kjack89048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #86
Lourde311
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack89048 View Post
I had no idea these would be so popular! I saw cinderella doll last friday and she had been out for 2 weeks so I went home told my fiancee that is what I wanted for my wedding present. I told him to get her soon! He went back a week later and they were all gone! He feels horrible now for telling me I was crazy they would be gone! If anyone has one they would like to sell I would be so greatful as they are very expensive on ebay! It's a shame people do that to people who just want the doll!

Also how much are the mugs? I did not see them at my store.
The mugs are going for $10.50 each or 2 for $14... I just picked up a Belle and Mulan today. They also have the journals and I was able to get the Snow White, Belle, Rapunzel and Ariel ones...
Lourde311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #87
Lourde311
Earning My Ears

This coming Monday Mulan is being released and on the 19th will be Snow White... I CAN'T WAIT!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #88
Lourde311
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivatopia View Post
Not to make excuses for that CM, but they really don't seem to receive reliable information from the corporate distribution department about future shipments of items that have already been officially released. I have asked numerous times about any future plans of Disney to release the Designer Princess mugs again, but I have not ever received any confirmation that Disney plans to do so. I'm glad I got my Snow White mug on eBay before the prices skyrocketed to the present outlandish asking prices ($50-$100 for a single mug that cost $10.50 is way too much!)
Are you still interested in some of the mugs? I went to a local store today and came across quite a few of them... Let me know and I'd be happy to look into it for you. My local store still has journals, mugs, sticky notes and post cards.

Last edited by Lourde311; 09-10-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #89
Shivatopia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourde311 View Post
Are you still interested in some of the mugs? I went to a local store today and came across quite a few of them... Let me know and I'd be happy to look into it for you. My local store still has journals, mugs, sticky notes and post cards.
Thanks, Lourde! I lucked out with the San Francisco store yesterday. By happy coincidence, I decided to randomly call them at noon to see if they got a new shipment of mugs in, since the eBay market suddenly was flooded with (overpriced) mugs. The manager answered the phone and told me that they just got a shipment in and were unpacking them at that moment. She was kind enough to reserve some mugs for me, so after work I was able to buy a Rapunzel, Aurora, Ariel, Cinderella, and Jasmine mug, as well as a second back-up Snow White mug (in case I accidentally break my original one!). So I'm pretty much set, except for the remaining yet-to-be-released dolls!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #90
Shivatopia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourde311 View Post
This coming Monday Mulan is being released and on the 19th will be Snow White... I CAN'T WAIT!
Wow, I really hope that Snow White is to be released the Monday after Mulan! That means I'll get my Snow White via UPS a day or two after my birthday! =) Do you mind sharing where you heard that Snow White is scheduled for September 19th?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: