Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #106
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Sorry I missed the last update. We were out of town and now I am sick with whatever my son had and I haven't felt like keeping up on the DIS.
Sorry to hear that you're under the weather. Get yourself a nice hot bowl of chicken noodle soup
Quote:
Glad to hear that you were able to repair the van and didn't have to waste any of your vacation time "car shopping."
It's not the car shopping that would have bothered me. It's the "car buying" and "car payment making" that didn't sound like fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Good choice. There are days down here where the air is better suited to gills then lungs.
People say we're crazy for living up north in the cold. Well, when the weather gets cold, I add layers. When it get's hot, I remove layers. But there's only so many layers that can come off before you're removing skin to get cool...

Quote:
I’m spotting a trend
If you consider "go where you will not pass out from heat exhaustion" a trend, then yes, yes you did.

Quote:
The phrase we use to describe these three places is:
“Ehhhh… it’ll make a turd.”
I just added a new phrase to my repertoire!

Quote:
Folks pay high dollars to sit in saunas. In the South… it’s free of charge (just another service we offer).
People that pay high dollar for the sauna can get up and leave when they're done.

Quote:
There’s some fine engineering.

Like I said…
True, but can you imagine how that conversation would have gone at the car lot 4 years ago?
Me: [peeling the plastic guard away from above the rear tire] Bambi, we can't get this one. These coolant lines are steel. They're going to rust at some point.
Bambi: [Whacks me with a frying pan]

Quote:
Are you sure you’re not a Southerner? Between the mechanical improve and a backup supply of all the major fluids, you could be describing nearly ninety percent of the “vehicles” on the road around where I live.
Nope, Wisconsinite born and raised. However, there might be traces of "hick" in my family tree. Bambi has seen the research and can attest to that.

Quote:
That’ll make for a stressful drive.
Yup. Every time I'd glance down at the speedometer, my eyes would always wander over to the temp gauge...

Quote:
Not surprising. It’s rare that you get (or are even able to find) every part you need on the first trip and/or at the first place you go to. What is surprising is that you only had to go to two different places.
There was also a wild goose chase to Home Depot, Ace Hardware and eventually Lowes looking for an elbow that never worked out the way I had planned.

Quote:
I see Tamara’s version of that look on a regular bases.
Usually when I’m in the midst of trying to fix something
(hummmm… that sound oddly familiar)
Over the years I've earned some leeway in my repair jobs. It takes a while before the look has to come out. I try to never let it get that far.

Quote:
Now I’ll buy in. At this point I’d have been tempted as well… but then that whole monthly payment thing would have reared it’s ugly head and…
And by this time it was late on Saturday, after the dealers would be closed. And I don't know about Florida, but by law in Wisconsin, car dealers can't be open on Sunday. So it could be Monday before we even get to a lot and find something, decided, arrange for financing....ugh. Those thoughts were seriously cutting into my Disney Time!

Quote:
I now dub you an honorary Southerner. You can pick up you’re trucker’s cap and snuffbox at the reception desk (just leave your shirt on the counter… you won’t be needin’ it).
Whoo Hoo! Should I get one of those fancy tuxedo looking shirts for formal occasions?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #107
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
How much fluid did you have to dump into your catalytic converter?
3 quarts. But then all of a sudden I was standing in a puddle.

Quote:
I don't know if I'd be more scared or impressed that you figured out how to send and receive picture messages on your phone.
It's still a work in progress. We'd have better luck with 2 cans and some string.

Quote:
The phrase we use to describe these three places is:
“Ehhhh… it’ll make a turd.”
Quote:

Definitely a keeper!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #108
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
People say we're crazy for living up north in the cold. Well, when the weather gets cold, I add layers. When it get's hot, I remove layers. But there's only so many layers that can come off before you're removing skin to get cool...
Ehhhh… you pick your poison. But I still say you’re crazy (it just doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with the weather), and being as I-r-crazy, I-r-also a pretty good judge of it.

Actually you’re not too far off the mark. If it weren’t for the advent of cheep air-conditioning, the largest cities in this country would still be located in the northern climes (and this would likely be a very different nation indeed).

Quote:
People that pay high dollar for the sauna can get up and leave when they're done.
Point taken.

Quote:
True, but can you imagine how that conversation would have gone at the car lot 4 years ago?
Me: [peeling the plastic guard away from above the rear tire] Bambi, we can't get this one. These coolant lines are steel. They're going to rust at some point.
I was really wondering out loud why they didn’t route ‘em through the body where they’d be spared form direct contact with road-salts and weather in general, but I do see your point (or maybe “feel” is a better word in this case).

Quote:
Nope, Wisconsinite born and raised. However, there might be traces of "hick" in my family tree. Bambi has seen the research and can attest to that.
There are times (like it or not) where a bit of “hick” can be a useful commodity.

Quote:
There was also a wild goose chase to Home Depot, Ace Hardware and eventually Lowes looking for an elbow that never worked out the way I had planned.
Now this makes even more sense. It sounds a lot like the expeditions I’ve been on whilst conducting (or being an accomplice in) a number automotive and/or household repairs.

Quote:
Whoo Hoo! Should I get one of those fancy tuxedo looking shirts for formal occasions?
Naaaaa… you already turned your shirt in remember?
But do keep one thing in mind: It’s ok to bring the beer into the chapel during either a funeral or wedding service (yah I know… same thing), but just don’t be openin’ up a new bottle while the preaching is goin’ on.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post

Definitely a keeper!
Colorful phrases… Just another service we offer up for free down this way.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #109
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
There are times (like it or not) where a bit of “hick” can be a useful commodity.
Oh, I've got a bit. Bambi has recently broken me of the habit of keeping a toothpick behind my ear, just in case I need it later. (And by "broken" I mean I don't get caught doing it)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #110
grahamfam3
Mouseketeer

Don't worry, there's plenty of opportunity for redneck in Wisconsin. Terms like "deer camp", "layaway at the ShopKo", "no PBR so I got Leinenkugel's" and "lets go school clothes shopping at Farm and Fleet" jump to mind (done all of those myself at one point or another, btw).
Old 09-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #111
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

caught up! i'm typing with one hand while holding a sleeping baby in the other or i'd multi quote your last 2 updates. glad you made it to florida and wtg macgyvering up the van!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #112
E3yore
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We are crazy for living here. It is freezing 8 months of the year. Nice 2 days of the year and tolerable the other 3 months and 28 days. At least in FL when it is hot you can jump in a pool. In WI we put on an extra sweatshirt and blanket when it is cold.

Quote:

I just said something nice about you and this is what I get? Note to self: no more being nice to Barry.

Why would I have a frying pan at the dealership anyways? Do you think I carry one with me?

Quote:

Traces? There are very dark lines between you and your hick family lines. I have had to check to make sure your neck is not actually red.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #113
Mrs. Knowitall
Wife of Captain_Oblivious

I'm here! I'm here! Didya miss me?

Quote:
GREAT family picture! Who was your photographer? We weren't even there!

Quote:
Bambi (DW). Official Wife of the Trip Report Narrator Extraordinaire. Don't bother thinking of any stereotypes here. She's just plain awesome in every way.
She is! hi Bambi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Dude, how did I get this far down the list? I must be slipping in my old age.
Dude. You're showing your 37 years!

Quote:
Our philosophy was this - we'd rather sit in rush hour traffic with the possibility of getting lucky than sit around home for 3 hours, then go.
I'm with you! Full speed ahead!

Quote:
Really? Why are we doing this again? Do I get a Dole Whip this time?

Quote:

"Good Luck, Buddy!"
Ah, but how was your catalytic converter?

Quote:
I spent 6 weeks researching which camera to buy - how do you think I'd handle buying a car on the spur of the moment?
Seriously! This would be a nightmare for the Oblivious/Knowitall Family!

Quote:
After roughly 5 hours, less than $100 in parts, countless skinned up knuckles - but most importantly - not having to buy a new car - our van was fixed* and we could get on with vacation.

*Was it really fixed? I know the guy that fixed it - he really doesn't know what he's doing - so I spent the next 2 weeks being paranoid.
Woo-hoo! You are so smart! You are so smart! S-M-R-T! I mean....S-M-A-R-T!!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #114
E3yore
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Knowitall View Post

She is! hi Bambi!

Hi Julie
Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #115
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfam3 View Post
Don't worry, there's plenty of opportunity for redneck in Wisconsin. Terms like "deer camp", "layaway at the ShopKo", "no PBR so I got Leinenkugel's" and "lets go school clothes shopping at Farm and Fleet" jump to mind (done all of those myself at one point or another, btw).
Have you been following me around?

Plus, we used to find old couches on the side of the road that people were throwing away, hook the to the back of a pickup truck with a logging chain, and couch surf down the back roads. YeeeHawwwww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
caught up! i'm typing with one hand while holding a sleeping baby in the other or i'd multi quote your last 2 updates. glad you made it to florida and wtg macgyvering up the van!
Awwwwww....blow a raspberry on his tummy for me!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #116
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3yore View Post
We are crazy for living here. It is freezing 8 months of the year. Nice 2 days of the year and tolerable the other 3 months and 28 days. At least in FL when it is hot you can jump in a pool. In WI we put on an extra sweatshirt and blanket when it is cold.
Don't forget about the week in the summer when it's oppressively hot!

Quote:
I just said something nice about you and this is what I get? Note to self: no more being nice to Barry.
Ummm...I love you.
Quote:
Why would I have a frying pan at the dealership anyways? Do you think I carry one with me?
You're like a boyscout - always prepared.

Quote:
Traces? There are very dark lines between you and your hick family lines. I have had to check to make sure your neck is not actually red.
Maybe someday I'll tell them all about the time my brother and I made a pool in the back of his truck. Is that redneckish?

Quote:
I'm here! I'm here! Didya miss me?
Yes! Mark's been running rampant all over the TR without proper adult supervision! Thank goodness you're here!

Quote:
GREAT family picture! Who was your photographer? We weren't even there!
Thanks! That picture was taken by Bambi's dad. Although it would make a better story if I said Pepper took it, so let's got with that.

Quote:
She is! hi Bambi!

Quote:
Dude. You're showing your 37 years!
I thought he was 36. Let's go back and check his TR to find out for sure...

Quote:
Really? Why are we doing this again? Do I get a Dole Whip this time?
He's over 3, so we would have to buy him a ticket. I suppose I could try and bring him one, but I doubt it would make it down Main Street, USA.

Quote:
Ah, but how was your catalytic converter?
Just fine! I got a good deal on one not too long ago. I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that has some way to get them really cheap on the east coast!

Quote:
Seriously! This would be a nightmare for the Oblivious/Knowitall Family!
I'd have to spend all night at the computer doing research. <- and I don't even drink coffee.

Quote:
Woo-hoo! You are so smart! You are so smart! S-M-R-T! I mean....S-M-A-R-T!!!!
Thank you?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #117
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I finally figured it out. Listening to you and Bambi go back and forth is like watching reruns of The Honeymooners.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #118
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
I finally figured it out. Listening to you and Bambi go back and forth is like watching reruns of The Honeymooners.
I'm pretty sure I've never threatened to send Bambi straight to the moon, but I can't say for sure.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #119
E3yore
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've never threatened to send Bambi straight to the moon, but I can't say for sure.
Maybe you should just write the TR and stop being a smart _____.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #120
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe you should just write the TR and stop being a smart _____.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: