Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #46
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Nah, you work for the DOT. Your used to taking forever to do basic tasks. (Welcome, anyway, though!)
I heard a radio broadcast the other day. They were praising the DOT for getting a road open so quickly after having been flooded out from the hurricane. I figured that given the earthquake, tornadoes, and hurricane, positive public comments about the DOT were yet another sign of the apocalypse.

Quote:
Me too. They won't be ready until late next week.
Can you rig something out of old Coke bottles?

Quote:
It was part bravery, but also part Bambi and I not letting her quit. You can't stop riding a bike just because you fall off one cliff.

That should be in a fortune cookie somewhere....
I like it! But I'm still proud of her for getting back on.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #47
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Time to Saddle Up and Ride!

Well, since this TR is entitled "2 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1200 Miles...", I guess I'd better get to introducing the two dogs. Well, really one dog, one odd dog/cat hybrid.

On the right is Pepper. We're not sure exactly what he is (we got him as a rescue.) When people ask what breed he is, we usually respond in one of two ways:
  1. Part Lab, part Spaniel, Part Stupid (He's lovable and very protective of the kids, but honestly, sometimes I swear he's about a bright a box of hammers)
  2. Holstein

See? Because we're from Wisconsin. We have cows everywhere. It's even our State's Official Domestic Animal.

On the left is Allie. She was also a rescue, but we know what she is: part Rat Terrier, part Australian Cattle Dog. Also part cat. Let me explain: her previous owners had her since she was a puppy. They also had two cats. So she learned much of her mannerisms from them. For example: laying around in the sun and being completely ambivalent to the presence of humans - except for when she wants to play. Madison wants a cat so bad, and every time she asks, we just say "we already have Allie, why do you want another cat?"

Our plan for the trip was to drive down and stay with Bambi's parents in Lakeland, FL. You thought we were staying onsite for 2 weeks? With the dogs? I just checked - to board two dogs at Disney's Kennel, even at the resort guest rate - is over $900. (Cats are a little cheaper, but I don't think they charge on mannerisms, just on biologically what your pet is supposed to be.)

So, for not having to pay a dog sitter at home or in Florida, we decided to bring them with us. Pepper is already pretty skittish about new experiences, so sticking him in the cargo hold of an airplane would not be a good idea. We'd pick him up at the airport and he'd be shaking in the back corner of his kennel, completely hairless and chain smoking Marlboros. (No, I don't know where he would have gotten them from or how he would light them. But the vision in my head was funny, so I included it here.)

With that our plans were finalized - we would drive the 1200 miles (hey, isn't the name of this report "2 Kids, 2 Dog, 1200 miles"? Yes, yes it is. It's not a coincidence.). We've driven twice to Florida already, so we knew we could do it without having to vote someone out of the van half way there. We packed everything up and left home at about 3:45 on Friday, June 28. Yes, we did the math and realized this would put in Chicago at rush hour. Our philosophy was this - we'd rather sit in rush hour traffic with the possibility of getting lucky than sit around home for 3 hours, then go.

Everyone was excited to go! Even the plant we had packed in the back (that was from Bambi's Grandfather's funeral back in February. Bambi's dad wanted the plant, but didn't want to take it on the plane. We plantsat for 5 months, then brought it with us).

Last but not least, our navigator for the trip - Perry the Platypus.

Well, we did get stuck in Chicago rush hour. According to the GPS, we only lost about 30 minutes though, which wasn't so bad.

The drive was pretty uneventful - which is a good thing. Every trip where we don't have to stop and clean up vomit is a good trip in my book. We drove straight through again, stopping for gas, potty and driver changes every 3-4 hours or so. This was taken at 1:18am, which would probably put us somewhere around Tennessee. And, as we have every single time we drove though, we saw the majestic Smokey Mountains of Tennessee in complete darkness.

To keep the kids engaged in the drive (or possibly to keep them from turning on us, mutilating our bodies and leaving us in a ditch in remote Georgia) the kids get a small gift at every state line. One of Evan's gifts was Lego Indiana Jones for his DS. We didn't hear a peep from him for over an hour.

Madison, ever the fashionista, is modeling her new purse.

The dogs are pretty good riders. Basically they get to do what they would be doing at home - sleeping. But even that gets a bit taxing after 18 hours in the van.

Notice Perry has turned around to watch the road and make sure we are going the right way.

And then - my world came crashing down. 6/25/2011 10:12 AM. In the middle of nowhere South Georgia, I found a Cheese Doodle in my Cheese Balls. I can't even describe how I felt. Hurt. Rejected. Sad. Angry. Confused. You know that feeling when you find an onion ring in your french fries? And how happy you are, like you just won the food lottery? Yeah, this feeling is the exact opposite of that.

I ate it anyway, but I didn't feel good about it.

For anyone that's done this drive, you know that from Atlanta south is the worst part. The scenery can generously be described as "barren", and you've still got 10 hours to go. Our last gas/potty stop showed just about how everyone is feeling.

Compare that to the first picture of the kids in this post. Heck, even the plant looks depressed.

But we pressed on and made it to Grandma & Grandpa's house by early afternoon on Saturday. 19 hours and 40 minutes - shattering our previous record! (Never mind the fact that Bambi's parents recently moved from the south side of town to the north, easily cutting 20-30 minutes off the drive)

Coming Up Next: "Do you think we should just trade [the van] in and buy a new one?"
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #48
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I heard a radio broadcast the other day. They were praising the DOT for getting a road open so quickly after having been flooded out from the hurricane. I figured that given the earthquake, tornadoes, and hurricane, positive public comments about the DOT were yet another sign of the apocalypse.
Ah, yes. The fifth horsemen. Conquest, War, Famine, Death, and a productive DOT.

Quote:
Can you rig something out of old Coke bottles?
What do I look like, an engineer?

Quote:
I like it! But I'm still proud of her for getting back on.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #49
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
When people ask what breed he is, we usually respond in one of two ways:
  1. Part Lab, part Spaniel, Part Stupid (He's lovable and very protective of the kids, but honestly, sometimes I swear he's about a bright a box of hammers)
  2. Holstein
I'd definitely go with holstein...

Quote:
Madison wants a cat so bad, and every time she asks, we just say "we already have Allie, why do you want another cat?"
Well you have a cow and a cat... maybe she should ask for a "dog"

Quote:
(No, I don't know where he would have gotten them from or how he would light them. But the vision in my head was funny, so I included it here.)
Sometimes the things in your head really should just stay there.

Quote:
We drove straight through again, stopping for gas, potty and driver changes every 3-4 hours or so.
When did Evan get his driving shift?

Quote:
The dogs are pretty good riders. Basically they get to do what they would be doing at home - sleeping. But even that gets a bit taxing after 18 hours in the van.
I think the dog riding shotgun shows us where you stand in the family hierarchy.

Quote:
Notice Perry has turned around to watch the road and make sure we are going the right way.
Or maybe he's looking for Dr. Doofenschmirtz and his rocket van stopinator?

Quote:
I found a Cheese Doodle in my Cheese Balls.
I will continue my boycott on your behalf.

Quote:
Wow... that average speed is WEAK. But with a slow top speed like that what can we expect?

Quote:
Coming Up Next: "Do you think we should just trade [the van] in and buy a new one?"
Always a phrase you want to say when you're 1200 miles from home...
Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #50
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
See? Because we're from Wisconsin. We have cows everywhere. It's even our State's Official Domestic Animal. [/LIST]
The resemblance is amazing! But watch out for the milk.

Quote:
I just checked - to board two dogs at Disney's Kennel, even at the resort guest rate - is over $900.
Do they get admission to the parks?

Quote:
We'd pick him up at the airport and he'd be shaking in the back corner of his kennel, completely hairless and chain smoking Marlboros. (No, I don't know where he would have gotten them from or how he would light them. But the vision in my head was funny, so I included it here.)
I don't care what Andy says, I thought it was funny. This may or may not be comforting to you.

Quote:
Everyone was excited to go! Even the plant we had packed in the back
It does look rather perky.

Quote:
Every trip where we don't have to stop and clean up vomit is a good trip in my book.
Mine too! If I had a book.

Quote:
To keep the kids engaged in the drive (or possibly to keep them from turning on us, mutilating our bodies and leaving us in a ditch in remote Georgia) the kids get a small gift at every state line.
I had no idea this was even a possibility! I might have re-considered my road trip otherwise.

Quote:
One of Evan's gifts was Lego Indiana Jones for his DS. We didn't hear a peep from him for over an hour.
I love that game! Or...um, my kids do.

Quote:
Someone looks very proud of herself.

Quote:
And then - my world came crashing down. 6/25/2011 10:12 AM. In the middle of nowhere South Georgia, I found a Cheese Doodle in my Cheese Balls. I can't even describe how I felt. Hurt. Rejected. Sad. Angry. Confused. You know that feeling when you find an onion ring in your french fries? And how happy you are, like you just won the food lottery? Yeah, this feeling is the exact opposite of that.
I'm picturing you, looking through the sun roof at the heavens, arms outstretched and shouting "WHHYYYYY???!!!"

Quote:
Our last gas/potty stop showed just about how everyone is feeling.

Quote:
Ok, spill it. The max speed was achieved with whom behind the wheel?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #51
Normangirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
[*]Holstein

I love it!

Pepper is already pretty skittish about new experiences, so sticking him in the cargo hold of an airplane would not be a good idea. We'd pick him up at the airport and he'd be shaking in the back corner of his kennel, completely hairless and chain smoking Marlboros. (No, I don't know where he would have gotten them from or how he would light them. But the vision in my head was funny, so I included it here.)

Every trip where we don't have to stop and clean up vomit is a good trip in my book.

That eliminates half of my daily trips to WalMart.

I ate it anyway, but I didn't feel good about it.

Of course you did.

I'm generally a lurker, but I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your news from the other thread, and thank you for continuing your TRs. I really enjoy them a lot -- very witty, and love the pics.

Also, on your little bike adventure! I bet Madison was scared to death. Oh, and you too.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #52
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Time to Saddle Up and Ride!
"Whoop-ee-ti-yi-o get along little doggies,
You know that Central Florida will be your new home?"

Quote:

2. Holstein
How about Part lab, part Holstein, part sack-o-hammers?
Quote:
"we already have Allie, why do you want another cat?"
To be ignored on a monumental scale

Quote:
I just checked - to board two dogs at Disney's Kennel, even at the resort guest rate - is over $900. (Cats are a little cheaper, but I don't think they charge on mannerisms, just on biologically what your pet is supposed to be.)
What about Holsteins?

Quote:
We'd pick him up at the airport and he'd be shaking in the back corner of his kennel, completely hairless and chain smoking Marlboros. (No, I don't know where he would have gotten them from or how he would light them. But the vision in my head was funny, so I included it here.)
Oh I’m sure that there would have been plenty of cigarettes amongst all the rest of the contraband in the hold of that plane. And he could have just gotten Allie to light it for him.

Quote:
Everyone was excited to go! Even the plant we had packed in the back
I suspect it was your promise of cheeseball fertilized that sealed the deal for the plant

Quote:
What it lacked in excitement, it made up for in… ummmmm… lacking excitement.

Quote:
And, as we have every single time we drove though, we saw the majestic Smokey Mountains of Tennessee in complete darkness.
There are a few roads through the mountains where it’s better that you don’t actually know just what is (and how far down it is) on the other side of the guardrail that your just about to drive through.

Quote:
“Dude… pass the cheeseballs.”

Quote:

You mean you didn’t drive the whole thing in reverse?

Quote:
…I found a Cheese Doodle in my Cheese Balls. I can't even describe how I felt. Hurt. Rejected. Sad. Angry. Confused…
I’m sure there’s a support group for this somewhere on the “internets”

Quote:
For anyone that's done this drive, you know that from Atlanta south is the worst part. The scenery can generously be described as "barren", and you've still got 10 hours to go.
I drive through that country regularly. Believe him on this one. You can even see the photographic evidence here:

Part 2: Interstate Blues

Quote:
Looks like Evan just let one loose and Madison is giving him the stink-eye as if to say: “Really… you couldn’t hold that in just a bit longer?”

Quote:

I’m assuming that the “Max Speed” figure was accomplished while traversing those majestic mountains in the dark (in reverse)
Old 09-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #53
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, since this TR is entitled "2 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1200 Miles...", I guess I'd better get to introducing the two dogs. Well, really one dog, one odd dog/cat hybrid.

Aren't they cute?[*]Holstein

Is this the cow that delivered the mail to Delaware????

With that our plans were finalized - we would drive the 1200 miles (hey, isn't the name of this report "2 Kids, 2 Dog, 1200 miles"? Yes, yes it is. It's not a coincidence.). We've driven twice to Florida already, so we knew we could do it without having to vote someone out of the van half way there. We packed everything up and left home at about 3:45 on Friday, June 28. Yes, we did the math and realized this would put in Chicago at rush hour. Our philosophy was this - we'd rather sit in rush hour traffic with the possibility of getting lucky than sit around home for 3 hours, then go.

Look at that excitement.

To keep the kids engaged in the drive (or possibly to keep them from turning on us, mutilating our bodies and leaving us in a ditch in remote Georgia) the kids get a small gift at every state line. One of Evan's gifts was Lego Indiana Jones for his DS. We didn't hear a peep from him for over an hour.

Smart parents!

Madison, ever the fashionista, is modeling her new purse.

Fashionista? Is that a new word?

I think Perry was looking at you and wanting those Cheeseballs!

Well, obviously you survived to tell the story.

For anyone that's done this drive, you know that from Atlanta south is the worst part. The scenery can generously be described as "barren", and you've still got 10 hours to go. Our last gas/potty stop showed just about how everyone is feeling.

That is exactly how I looked when we used to drive to Florida from Chicago every year.

Great update, Barry. Hope you have a great Labor Day Weekend (we're off to Dubuque on Sunday to meet our son's girlfriend).
Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #54
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
I don't care what Andy says, I thought it was funny. This may or may not be comforting to you.
I'll admit, I thought it was funny too. I still stand by my statement though... especially with Barry.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #55
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post

Looks like Evan just let one loose and Madison is giving him the stink-eye as if to say: “Really… you couldn’t hold that in just a bit longer?”
Old 09-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #56
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I hate driving through Chicago rush hour! But I often ask myself. When is it not rush hour in Chicago?

Conversely, I would be disappointed if I found a cheese ball within my cheese doodles.

I had a cat that thought she was a dog. Just too nice and needy to be a cat, truly.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #57
3sweetpeas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It was part bravery, but also part Bambi and I not letting her quit. You can't stop riding a bike just because you fall off one cliff.

That should be in a fortune cookie somewhere....
I literally had tears in my eyes one minute and then laughing (out loud) the next!

I'm a first timer to your TR's and I think I'm going to enjoy....We are from NW Indiana just south of Chicago and usually drive also. We flew for the first time last year and loved it! I have 3 preteen and teen kids now so space is now at a premium in the SUV.

I'm trying to convince myself that driving this year would be fine.... the looks on your kids faces at the end of the trip cracked me up but you're not helping the cause!

Last edited by 3sweetpeas; 09-02-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #58
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And yes, it was pretty hard to get out of bed this morning. Not only did I fall/slide down the bluff that morning, I went back again that afternoon and climbed down, looking for my glasses. I don't remember if I had them on while I was jogging, but I certainly haven't seen them since. I have an appointment this afternoon with the optometrist to a new pair. But that's a small price to pay compared to how bad the day could have turned out.[/INDENT]

Now don't you wish you had gone to the ball game?? I wouldn't have thrown you over the railings or anything

Seriously, I am glad the main injury was to your glasses and that Madison didn't let a little thing like a cliff-dive stop her from riding her bike!

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
Old 09-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #59
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
Now don't you wish you had gone to the ball game?? I wouldn't have thrown you over the railings or anything
No, but the other Cubs fans might have.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #60
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
W

So, for not having to pay a dog sitter at home or in Florida, we decided to bring them with us. Pepper is already pretty skittish about new experiences, so sticking him in the cargo hold of an airplane would not be a good idea. We'd pick him up at the airport and he'd be shaking in the back corner of his kennel, completely hairless and chain smoking Marlboros. (No, I don't know where he would have gotten them from or how he would light them. But the vision in my head was funny, so I included it here.)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=263802616970649

Hopefully this link will work here - it is something a friend posted on FB and it came to mind when you mention Pepper chainsmoking...

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: