Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #31
Dominus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldymcbth View Post
My daughter was a piece of paper too short for Goofy's Barnstormer in Feb., so the next day she was wearing an extra pair of socks - and she was able to ride. I am all for safety but I feel like the piece of paper business is kind of ridiculous.

I know I will get flamed, so be it! I am not advocating sticking your kid in platform heels, but if the child is within a breath of passing the height requirement, there are ways around it.

Everyone is plenty tall enough for our upcoming trip - THANK GOODNESS!
No flaming, I'm with you. We took my niece and she was "fast pass ticketed" out of RNR. She had on her sandals with no socks. So the next day we put her in her tennis shoes and socks and BAM!...she was miraculously tall enough. So anyone who flames you for an extra pair of socks is just wanting to pick a fight over nothing. And I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it's no more dangerous to put a kid on the ride who's a piece of paper too short, than it is to physically lift and strap a person in who has zero control of their body. I'm sure I'm gonna get the whole "but he's tall enough" and "muscle control has nothing to do with safety". Whatever. Bottom line is that no one is gonna be endangered by being .001 inches too short. And no CM is gonna get fired for not putting a FP ticket under the head of a kid that is .001 in too short.
Dominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #32
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

OP: I am going to take a page out of your book. DD really wants to ride Forbidden Journey at IOA and Crush and Gusher at TL when we are there in November. She is currently 1 1/4 inches too short. We keep telling her to eat her vegetables, but she is also prepared for the possibility that those will have to be rides for next time.

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #33
jennabcassell
Mouseketeer

We were just at Epcot last week and even though my DS was tall enough to go on Mission Space, he really wasn't. We went on the less intense Green mission and the harness that comes down over his shoulders was just under his neck and almost choking him. He also couldn't reach any of the buttons to push. So while he was just barely over the height to ride the ride, he didn't have that good of a time. DS is tall enough to ride Thunder Mt and Splash Mt., but I'm scared to take him!!

jennabcassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #34
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
How strict is the height policy on the rides??
There aren't many things that can get a Cast Member more or less terminated on the spot., but letting an under-height guest on an attraction is one of them.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #35
bobbie68
DIS Veteran

Hi,

I would like to add something. I am not going to judge the op or anybody else, they need to do what is right for their family. The height requirement system is really flawed though. I go to many amusement parks and I will see the identical ride in a different park with two different height requirements. A lot of the height requirements are done state by state according to what the insurance companies dictate. Oh and throw in that more of it depends on your torso then your actual height.

Anyway good luck op with your trip.
bobbie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #36
dvcHammer
Drinking at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldymcbth View Post
My daughter was a piece of paper too short for Goofy's Barnstormer in Feb., so the next day she was wearing an extra pair of socks - and she was able to ride. I am all for safety but I feel like the piece of paper business is kind of ridiculous.
I believe it's best to teach children the value of cheating at an early age.

They can next lie about their age to get discount tickets... think of the savings!!
64 visits so far.
Been there, done that, going back again!
http://www.drinkingatdisney.com/
dvcHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #37
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
No flaming, I'm with you. We took my niece and she was "fast pass ticketed" out of RNR. She had on her sandals with no socks. So the next day we put her in her tennis shoes and socks and BAM!...she was miraculously tall enough. So anyone who flames you for an extra pair of socks is just wanting to pick a fight over nothing. And I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it's no more dangerous to put a kid on the ride who's a piece of paper too short, than it is to physically lift and strap a person in who has zero control of their body. I'm sure I'm gonna get the whole "but he's tall enough" and "muscle control has nothing to do with safety". Whatever. Bottom line is that no one is gonna be endangered by being .001 inches too short. And no CM is gonna get fired for not putting a FP ticket under the head of a kid that is .001 in too short.
There isn't much wrong with your logic as long as people aren't a. . .jerks that will get a lawyer the second the smallest thing goes wrong.

Disney has a policy to cover their own butts. It's not safety, it liability. There are too many sphinctors out there, and Disney has every right to cover their own. . .interests.

I bring forward the case of the people who disobeyed every rule of boating, and are suing Disney because the husband almost killed his wife by running into a Disney ferry.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #38
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Height requirements are based on a whole lot of factors, but short of having a doctor at each attraction to measure torso length, waist, etc. they work based on averages and percentiles, along with manufacturers recommendations, direct experience, inspection services, etc.

They changed height requirements at Indy Speedway a couple years ago not because they changed the cars, but from experience.

I also wanted to remind that the first measurement, outside the attraction, is unofficial in a way (they WILL deny you entrance if you don't make it). The official one is at the loading area. The first one is hopefully to not make you wait through the whole line before finding out they can't ride, but when it is borderline is is tough.

For what it's worth, the common "walking stick" measuring method used at a lot of parks is highly inaccurate. Meeting or not meeting the stick height depends on how level the stick is being held (and I have yet to see a bubble level attached to one), the level of the ground, etc. I recently saw someone obviously new to the park using one after a manager explained it for about 30 seconds, and he wasn't holding it very straight at all. Fortunately for anyone I saw they were well above the height anyways.

Lastly, they expect guests to be wearing "normal" footwear. Don't go with thin-soled sandals, flip-flops, etc. but normal sneakers. But the CMs CAN require the footwear to be removed before measuring if it looks like they are providing beyond the normal height increase.

And as previously mentioned, go in the morning. Spines do compress during the day.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #39
lundve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We did this last time too. My almost 4 year old son was probably 39.75 inches and was deemed too short our first day to ride Soarin'. We wore Crocs that day. He cried when we had to stay behind. And yes the lady put a fastpass under his head and said no way. We put him in sneakers and socks the rest of our trip and never got turned away. He was measured at every ride at the entrance and the inside but since he just barely touched the head bar he was allowed. My DH is still convinced that my son was able to somehow curl his toes knowing that if his head did not touch he would not be allowed. He rode Splash, Big Thunder, Test Track, Soarin, and Tower of Terror - and loved them all. My DH always rode next to him and held onto a body part just in case but we really did not feel that any of those rides were unsafe for him. In fact I held onto my 6 year old's leg too - probably because I am protective.

lundve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #40
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundve View Post
We did this last time too. My almost 4 year old son was probably 39.75 inches and was deemed too short our first day to ride Soarin'. We wore Crocs that day. He cried when we had to stay behind. And yes the lady put a fastpass under his head and said no way. We put him in sneakers and socks the rest of our trip and never got turned away. He was measured at every ride at the entrance and the inside but since he just barely touched the head bar he was allowed. My DH is still convinced that my son was able to somehow curl his toes knowing that if his head did not touch he would not be allowed. He rode Splash, Big Thunder, Test Track, Soarin, and Tower of Terror - and loved them all. My DH always rode next to him and held onto a body part just in case but we really did not feel that any of those rides were unsafe for him. In fact I held onto my 6 year old's leg too - probably because I am protective.
Crocs have fairly soft, compressible soles - more so than sneakers. So although as measured the croc soles might be the same thickness, the person's weight will compress it more, thus taking some of that thickness away.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #41
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But they have to draw the line *somewhere*. And THAT is where they draw it. Exactly at that mark.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #42
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie68 View Post
Hi,

I would like to add something. I am not going to judge the op or anybody else, they need to do what is right for their family. The height requirement system is really flawed though. I go to many amusement parks and I will see the identical ride in a different park with two different height requirements. A lot of the height requirements are done state by state according to what the insurance companies dictate. Oh and throw in that more of it depends on your torso then your actual height. Anyway good luck op with your trip.
I wonder why they don't have the kids sit down to get an accurate torso measurement, since that's more important than the legs, and shoes/socks wouldn't be able to "fudge" that measurement. DH is 10 inches taller than I am, but our legs are exactly the same length. go figure. Naturally, my torso height is way short, and any kid with long, long legs that help them meet the height requirement would be too short for the shoulder harness.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 AM   #43
Dominus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie68 View Post
Hi,

I would like to add something. I am not going to judge the op or anybody else, they need to do what is right for their family. The height requirement system is really flawed though. I go to many amusement parks and I will see the identical ride in a different park with two different height requirements. A lot of the height requirements are done state by state according to what the insurance companies dictate. Oh and throw in that more of it depends on your torso then your actual height.

Anyway good luck op with your trip.
You are spot on. The only thing accurate or consistent with the height measurement system is that it's ultimately and totally up to the cm in charge. I've been on two trips where one member of the party was right at the height for certain rides. Both times we had very inconsistent enforcement. They could ride some rides, but not others. Ride the same ride later in the day that they were turned away from earlier (even thought they should by then be theoretically shorter!). Ride the ride the next day when they were turned away the day before (growth spurt I guess). So it unnerves me a bit when people take the position that it's black and white, anything less (even a piece of paper less) than that magic bar is totally unsafe and near child abuse to let them ride.
Dominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #44
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlemoine View Post
How strict is the height policy on the rides?? My youngest DS is 39" and is scared of very little things. I was wondering if him standing on his tip toes would suffice the CM @ the ride. This would bring him to 40". Fingers crossed he'll grow a little the next 2 months.

Safety is the reason for the height requirements, and nothing else.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #45
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlemoine View Post
How strict is the height policy on the rides?? My youngest DS is 39" and is scared of very little things. I was wondering if him standing on his tip toes would suffice the CM @ the ride. This would bring him to 40". Fingers crossed he'll grow a little the next 2 months.

From what we saw VERY strict..

We vacationed with my friend who's son was turning 4 on the trip and is on the short side. He made the 40 inch mark at some rides..didn't on other's.. even more he would make it thru 1-2 check points in the queue only to be checked again at the load area and be told NO.. it was frustrating for my friend ( in fact my friends husband was NOT happy many times) but IMO id much rather them be cautious with my kiddo then not!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, height restrictions, rides

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: