Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
cjlemoine
Don't Ya Just Love Disney

Height leniency for rides!!!

How strict is the height policy on the rides?? My youngest DS is 39" and is scared of very little things. I was wondering if him standing on his tip toes would suffice the CM @ the ride. This would bring him to 40". Fingers crossed he'll grow a little the next 2 months.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlemoine View Post
How strict is the height policy on the rides?? My youngest DS is 39" and is scared of very little things. I was wondering if him standing on his tip toes would suffice the CM @ the ride. This would bring him to 40". Fingers crossed he'll grow a little the next 2 months.
Very strict.

The CM's at the attractions with height restrictions check TWICE for each small rider.
Once, at the entrance to a ride queue and again, just before boarding.

It is possible for a child to pass the measurement at the entrance to a ride queue and then be refused
when (s)he is measured again just before boarding.

There is no way to know for sure if a child who is near a given height will pass the measurement or not.
There are many posts here about children being allowed to ride a given attraction in the morning, and then
being refused on the same attraction, if they return to ride again later in the day.

Considering these various situations, it might help if you prepare your child for the possibility of being disappointed.

MOST attractions at WDW do not have a height restriction.
Here are some links to the ones that DO have a restriction-

http://allearsnet.com/tp/rr.htm

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/height.cfm (enter "2 inches" to get ALL restrictions)

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/restr.html
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
tallen429
DIS Veteran

The height requirements are very strict and there are sometimes two places per ride line that CMs will check.
No, standing on tiptoes is not allowed nor is any other artificial means of making your child taller.
It is better to prepare your child for the probability of not riding certain rides this time around.

tallen429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

I've heard stories of CM's denying entry if they were able to slip a piece of paper in between the child's head and the height bar.

Sounds a little extreme but if it's true, it shows you how serious they are.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Height restrictions serve a purpose..they are put in place for safety reasons. If your child tries to 'work the system' they aren't going to be completely safe on a ride/attraction. Safety restraints need guests to be a specific height in order to protect that guest.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
iamadisneynut
Mouseketeer

We just got back from a trip and when I measured my DS at home in bare feet he was about 39 1/2 inches, so I figures he'd be good in shoes at the park, nope!

They are strict, he was so super close to the line, but was denied. He even cried at Star Tours and the girl felt really badly, but he still couldn't go on.

There is lots of stuff he could do though, he was happy he was tall enough for Kali River Rapids and for the Tomorrowland Speedway!

iamadisneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
cjlemoine
Don't Ya Just Love Disney

Thanks guys for the replies. I would never want to jeopardize his safety, thought I would ask, I couldn't remember from our trip in '09. Think he'll have to hope that his daily milk 'rations' will kick in and give him that extra inch. One thing about Disney though, even though he can't go on some of the 'bigger' rides, he'll have plenty to do.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

Disney Trips...
1997-1998-2001-2002-2005-2007-2009-2010-2011

My Rapunzel and Flynn Rider Costumes for MNSSHP

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."
vickalamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
t_catt11
Pin Trading Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlemoine View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. I would never want to jeopardize his safety, thought I would ask, I couldn't remember from our trip in '09. Think he'll have to hope that his daily milk 'rations' will kick in and give him that extra inch. One thing about Disney though, even though he can't go on some of the 'bigger' rides, he'll have plenty to do.
This is the perfect attitude to have.

DS4 is excited that he'll be 40 inches and able to ride Splash and Big Thunder this trip. Was very bummed about still being too small for Everest (we have a great home video of daddy giggling like a lunatic on it), but we've pushed the positive, and he's accepted that Everest is out for this trip... and that he'll still have plenty to do.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

And like we always told our youngest - "there's always next time!" When he finally measured up to Splash Mtn, he was the happiest kid!

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

With 2 months to go, anything can happen. My son has grown 1.75 in. in the last two months, 5.5in. in the last 8 months! Last December he was 40 in. and really enjoyed BTMR (we were in MK for just one day) and he's been super excited to ride things like TT and Soarin' which he hasn't been able to do before. I was shocked when he measured in at 43.75 in. in June and realized that he might be tall enough for EE this time around which would absolutely make his day! I've kept quiet about it even though at that point I was pretty sure with a little over 3 months and shoes he would be good to go. He just had his 5 year check up last week and measured in at 45.5 in. without shoes LOL so I guess he is definately good to go! Hopefully your son will have a little growth spurt. GL!

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
goofy's_gurl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Height restrictions serve a purpose..they are put in place for safety reasons. If your child tries to 'work the system' they aren't going to be completely safe on a ride/attraction. Safety restraints need guests to be a specific height in order to protect that guest.
I agree, it is only for your child's safety nothing more.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

crostorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Someone here once posted that they give out special cards to kids who are not quite tall enough to ride. Not as good as riding, but it may take the sting out if he is denied.

I saw a CM do the paper test on a kid at Star Tours when we were there and the mom was really upset that he didn't make it. Poor CM.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
kshattuck
DIS Veteran

I think you've got the right attitude! It's disappointing when they are sooo excited to ride and are just shy of the requirement, but parents often make it so much worse by complaining or carrying on about it being "unfair" -- so THANKS for setting a good example!

(But I still hope he "makes" it!)

kshattuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, height restrictions, rides

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: