Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Best food at Disneyland

Looking for tips for an upcoming weekend trip to Disneyland. I'd like to get opinions on what are the "don't miss" food and drinks.

What are the best...

(1) Counter Service (fast food) meals...

(2) Snacks...

and

(3) Full service (sit down) meals...

at Disneyland/California Adventure/Downtown Disney?

I'm a WDW fanatic, so I think I'm spoiled with the array of choices there are at all the parks, resorts, etc. at Disney World. I've only been to Disneyland a couple of times, and I haven't eaten there a lot.

I have tried the Blue Bayou twice. My first experience was overall good (several years ago), but our last experience was disappointing because the food was terrible, and so was the service (although I do love the atmosphere inside).

I love Dole whips, but I'm wondering what other meals and snacks Disneyland experts put on your "must do" list. I'm also interested in items that are specific to Disneyland. I heard a discussion a while ago on the Disneyland podcast about some of their favorite items, and there were several that sounded really interesting and unique to Disneyland (I think there was mention of a chili-rub corn on the cob that sounded delicious).
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Tasscrapper
I belive in dragons, unicorns, good men and other mythical creatures.

I have no idea if they are specific to Disneyland or not but my favorite treat is the Tigger Tails at the little shop by the Winnie the Pooh ride.
Me, DH April 26-27Me, DH, DD 13, DS 12, DS 9 January 19-24 2014Me, two friends and a friend of a friend October 2013Me and DH September 27-30 2011 @Peacock SuitesMe, Big Sis, Big Bro, dd14,dd9,ds7,ds5 Aug2-6 @Comfort Inn Maingate Me and Dh July 12-15 @ Crown PlazaMe. Big Bro, dd13, ds4 June 4-9 @Del Sol
Me, Big Bro, dd 8, ds 7, ds4 Feb 1-5 @Peacock SuitesDH, me, dd13, dd8, ds4, ds6 Dec. 08 @ Peacock Suites Dh and me August 08 @ Anaheim Plaza
Tasscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
bondgirl007
Mouseketeer

We love the corn dogs from the Little Red Wagon on Main St., the caramel milk chocolate aplles from Pooh's Corner, and the gumbo at Blue Bayou.
bondgirl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
TinkBride
I am pro Spaceship Earth wand. I am anti candy/cake castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasscrapper View Post
I have no idea if they are specific to Disneyland or not but my favorite treat is the Tigger Tails at the little shop by the Winnie the Pooh ride.
Ditto!!
DLR - 2 trips
TinkBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Okay, I must know - what is a Tigger Tail?
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
tlovesdis
Disneyland Obsessed!!!
My room has a Mickey theme!

Here are my familes favorites and places we avoid at all costs! LOL

Favorites:

Sit down - Cafe Orleans
Counter - Plaza Inn
Snack - caramel apples, pickles and pineapples from fruit carts, chili cheese fries in Horseshoe

We avoid:

Naples in DTD
Redd Rocketts Pizza

Disneyland - December 6-9, 2014 (Birthday trip)

WDW January 22-27, 2015
Kidani Village AKL
First trip to the WORLD!!!
tlovesdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit116 View Post
Okay, I must know - what is a Tigger Tail?
Marshmallows on a stick covered in orange-flavored chocolate.

EDIT: possibly also caramel. I forget.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Some of my favorite counter service places are:

Hungry Bear for the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich with Sweet Potato Fries

Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta for either the Pesto Ravioli with Pine Nuts or the Chicken Sun Dried Tomato Pasta (a little spicy!)

Pacific Wharf/Royal Veranda for soup in a bread bowl. I like clam chowder, DH loves the steak.

Sit down places:

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney for New Orleans food. The gumbo, seafood pot pie, and jambalaya.

Carnation Cafe for lunch, baked potato soup and half a sandwich is one of my favorite lunches in Disneyland.

Cafe Orleans for gumbo, pommes frites, ragout, or crepes. (yep, we love New Orleans food! )

Trader Sam's for when you are without the kids () such a fun Tiki bar with tasty snacks. We had the panko crusted long beans and chicken lettuce wraps, which were very good.

Hands down the best sit down restaurant in the entire resort is Napa Rose. Of course, it has a price tag to match, but it is easily the best restaurant in Orange County for us (and DH grew up there and returns frequently).

Snacks:

Matterhorn macaroon at Blue Ribbon Bakery is fun if you like coconut. Sometimes hubby and I split a cinnamon roll here for breakfast, it is quite tasty!

The chili-lime corn at the cob is at Edelweiss snacks and is good for something different. However, if you have had traditional elote, it is not that. Elote has a roasted taste from being directly over the fire. At DL, they steam it or something. Anyway, it doesn't have that fire taste. But when you are desperate for a vegetable, it can taste quite good!

We also like the Mickey beignets at the Mint Julep bar for a quick snack. Hubby likes the mint juleps, but I think they are nasty!

I always like going to the candy shop at the end of the Pooh ride (dang, what is the name of it?) and they always have something cute and sweet!

Many times I will end up buying a caramel apple in some fantastical shape, last time it was the World of Color apple. It is so beautiful that I don't eat it. Maybe this time I should get a regular apple and maybe I will actually see how it tastes!

P.S. have fun this weekend, DH and I will be there as well. You will see us eating New Orleans food, apparently.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
scion5220
DIS Veteran

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/0...s-tiger-tails/

scion5220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Oops, forgot Bengal Barbeque! Such a great little counter service spot with tasty stuff on a stick and that yummy bread. How could I forget! Of course, it is Monday.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
MukilteoSailor
Mouseketeer

Food

(1) Counter Service (fast food) meals...

We enjoy Bengal BBQ.

(2) Snacks...

I am always partial to the Chocolate covered caramel pretzel sticks with cashews. They sell them on Main Street and at Pooh's Corner candy shop.

(3) Full service (sit down) meals...

We like Carnation Cafe for breakfast and lunch and Cafe Orleans for dinner.
MukilteoSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
SailorsWife
Earning My Ears

Best sit down, get out of the parks and go to Napa Rose in the California Grand. Wonderful wonderful food and wine. I will warn you , it's a budget buster. If I am staying in the parks, Ariel's Grotto. I know it's a character meal. But the food was darn good for the price.

Favorite Quick Serve. It can be crowded, but I love Pizza Port in Tomorrowland. Always something there to please the entire family. Salads, pasta and pizza. Also love Stage Door Cafe in Frontierland.

Snacks. Guilty pleasure is a the turkey leg in Frontierland/Port Orleans. Not sure if those are just seasonal. The snack carts with fresh fruit always hits the spot in the afternoon when I need something sweet but don't want a ton before dinner.

Blue Bayou will always be a favorite, a sweet boyfriend took me there while in HS. So my memories of the place are much more about the magic and feel of the place over the food. SO I love going back. And I love New Orleans food too. But tend to agree, depending on the menu, it can be blah sometimes. I know it's food for the masses, but a little spice in the gumbo would be nice.

Krista
SailorsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
kik050
Earning My Ears

Snacks: Churros at any Churro stand. Rolled in cinnamon sugar right in front of you.

The Churros at Disneyworld are stale and premade. I think they're microwaved. Two totally different Churros.
kik050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
moonbill2002
Earning My Ears

It was my first time eating a Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans and OH MY!!! Absolutely delicious I used to eat those sandwiches all the time at Bennigan's and Disney's Monte Cristo put those to shame. And they were huge...my older kids shared a plate and then I shared mine with my other son. I also really enjoyed our meal at Carnation Cafe....I had the soup and sandwich...it was pretty good and not too heavy. And of course, the Matterhorn Sundae to end the meal wasn't too shabby, either! As for snacks, I didn't care for the popcorn and am probably the only one! But I loved my Mickey Bars and churros. Oh, and the turkey legs were always a good "snack" if we had a late lunch, etc. We would eat those instead of dinner. The corndogs were absolutely delicious as well...hubby got the spicy one, whatever that is and he liked it a lot. I gained 5lbs in the week we were there and am trying to get rid of it now that I'm home.....
moonbill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

We love Napa Rose, Steakhouse 55 and Storytellers for full size meals.

For counter service, the Paradise Garden Grill looks really good.

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disneyland, food

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: