Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Captain's Wife
Earning My Ears

Theft at Disney

ETA: After careful consideration, I have changed the title of this thread. I do agree that words are important, and I would hate for my use of the word "robbed" to distract from my original intent - to remind everyone to keep an eye on their stuff.

Well, we're back from our week-long trip, and while we had a wonderful week overall, this trip will now be known as the one where my young adult daughter was robbed.

The thief stole her camera bag, containing her brand new camera, her credit card, her Cast I.D, some cash and her provincial health card. It was sitting in the top of the basket of my dad's ECV, which was parked right outside the door to our room and left unattended for maybe ten minutes. We were literally steps away inside the room, we'd only stopped in to gather our things for our next phase at the parks, when it happened.

I won't give out too many details, because I don't want to jeopardize the police investigation. The theft was reported immediately, and the prime suspect is NOT a cast member or guest. The resort manager, Disney security and the Osceola county police were wonderful in how they handled everything, but I'm afraid my daughter is slightly traumatized by the whole thing.

I post it here to remind everyone to use caution with their belongings ALL the time. We certainly believe ourselves to be responsible, cautious people, but a bad decision on our part became someone else's opportunity to do wrong.

It was a huge hassle, of course, and my daughter had only had the camera for five days, which is crushing. The worst part, as it always is, is that we lost two days worth of photos of my four-year-old nephew experiencing Disney for the first time - including meeting Woody, who was the only character he'd even go near. We also lost a day in the parks due to the Cast ID being stolen.

It could have been so much worse, and we're ready to put it behind us.

Last edited by Captain's Wife; 08-30-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Title changed
Captain's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear that but people are everywhere at Disney and not all of them are nice.

Also you have people roaming around the resorts that do not stay there.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
famsen
DIS Veteran

That's horrible.
I sure hope the police find the thief and are able to get your daughter's belongings back and this guy/girl gets punished so as not to be able to do this again.
Were you in a resort that had any surveillance video?

'93:Disney Inn '94:Dixie Landings '95Wilderness Lodge '97:Contemporary '98: CBR '01:Contemporary:'06:POFQ
'07:SSR '08: May:Pop Century; AKV First Trip as DVC Members Sept:AKV
5/09:AKV Jambo & AKV Kidani 9/09:AKV Kidani 12/09:Girls Only SSR 4/10:WL(Shuttle Discovery Launch) 5/10:BWV 9/10:AKL 9/11: BWV/AKL 9/12: AKL
famsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
famsen
DIS Veteran

I also had just heard that authorities in Orlando are warning resort guests not to call any places advertising pizza delivery from flyers left under your room door. Apparently, the number goes to people that are stealing credit card numbers.
I remember getting a lot of those flyers when we stayed at Saratoga Springs and Boardwalk Villas. There's all kinds of jerks out there.

'93:Disney Inn '94:Dixie Landings '95Wilderness Lodge '97:Contemporary '98: CBR '01:Contemporary:'06:POFQ
'07:SSR '08: May:Pop Century; AKV First Trip as DVC Members Sept:AKV
5/09:AKV Jambo & AKV Kidani 9/09:AKV Kidani 12/09:Girls Only SSR 4/10:WL(Shuttle Discovery Launch) 5/10:BWV 9/10:AKL 9/11: BWV/AKL 9/12: AKL
famsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain's Wife View Post
Well, we're back from our week-long trip, and while we had a wonderful week overall, this trip will now be known as the one where my young adult daughter was robbed.

The thief stole her camera bag, containing her brand new camera, her credit card, her Cast I.D, some cash and her provincial health card. It was sitting in the top of the basket of my dad's ECV, which was parked right outside the door to our room and left unattended for maybe ten minutes. We were literally steps away inside the room, we'd only stopped in to gather our things for our next phase at the parks, when it happened.

I won't give out too many details, because I don't want to jeopardize the police investigation. The theft was reported immediately, and the prime suspect is NOT a cast member or guest. The resort manager, Disney security and the Osceola county police were wonderful in how they handled everything, but I'm afraid my daughter is slightly traumatized by the whole thing.

I post it here to remind everyone to use caution with their belongings ALL the time. We certainly believe ourselves to be responsible, cautious people, but a bad decision on our part became someone else's opportunity to do wrong.

It was a huge hassle, of course, and my daughter had only had the camera for five days, which is crushing. The worst part, as it always is, is that we lost two days worth of photos of my four-year-old nephew experiencing Disney for the first time - including meeting Woody, who was the only character he'd even go near. We also lost a day in the parks due to the Cast ID being stolen.

It could have been so much worse, and we're ready to put it behind us.

Hate to hear this, we have had a LOT of trips to Disney and we have never had a problem but we are guilty- of going back to the room as well and leaving stuff in my ECV parked outside to run inf or a "minute" just as you were. But will take this as a precaution from now on as things like this happening every where anymore. But we have also left thing in the basket say to eat or while on rides and guess been very lucky.. hope all gets resolved for your daughter and she does not let one idiots crime spoil her faith. as i think most people are honest. I hope
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting this. Sorry that this happened to you and hope this post helps others avoid this.

I tell people who stay at the hotel here that tourists attract thieves and it's very hard to keep them out. Even if we could keep all the local bad guys out thieves also take vacations. You really don't know how honest the person in the next room really is.

So, I hope your story will caution everyone to stay alert and cautious on vacation. But most, I hope everything turns out well for your family and you can focus on the happy times of your trip.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
DisneyBride'03
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Balcony was great!
The closest I get to "camping" is the campfire!

Sorry your family had to suffer this experience
***runDisney***2010 Inaugural Wine & Dine Half~ 2011 WDW Half~2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 Princess Half~2012 Disneyland Half~2012 Wine & Dine Half~ 2013 Princes Half~2013 Inaugural Dumbo Dare~2013 Wine/Dine

Upcoming: Aulani Feb 2014

1980 Poly~2003 Poly~2003 Poly Fairy Tale Wedding/Grand Floridian~2007 Pop~2007 YC CL DVC Owners ~2007 SSR~2008 BWV/DCL/AKV~2008 OKW~2008 SSR/WL~2008 ASMu/AKV~2009 VWL/BCV~2009 BLT/Swan/Kidani~2009 POFQ/AKL~2010 SSR~ 2010 YC CL/AKV~2011 POFQ~2011 Sports & OKW~2011 Kidani & BCV~ 2011 POFQ ~ 2012 BCV~2012 DL Hotel~2012 BLT/AKV~2013 OKW/BCV~2013 DL Hotel~2013 Pop/SSR
DisneyBride'03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Sorry...

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
sndral
DIS Veteran

Unless it was captured on surveillance cameras it's unlikely the person who stole it will be id'ed. More and more places have better and better surveillance systems, so perhaps there's hope they'll id the thief and move in fast enough to recover her property. The person who tries to use the credit card (and they most likely will be a different person than the thief) may get caught when they try to use it. And perhaps if someone tries to pawn the camera they might get caught.
Tourists are prime targets because even if you catch the thief the probability is that the victim will not be local (although sounds like your daughter is) and it's too expensive for the prosecution to fly in an out of state witness to prove a simple theft and thieves know this.
BTW, robbery has a specific meaning - a robbery is when someone uses force or fear to remove property from the person of another - since the ECV was in the hall and your daughter had no contact with the thief this wasn't a robbery, it was, however, a theft.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
caaraa
Mouseketeer

Also you have people roaming around the resorts that do not stay there.
caaraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #11
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

So sorry that this happened to you. I hope your daughter can come to terms with it without being too traumatized.
ancestry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
notaclue
DIS Veteran

Where were you staying, which resort? Sorry this happened to you; it makes me so angry that there are rotten people out there who do this stuff.
notaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #13
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

The lesson for all of us is to be diligent even, (or maybe especially) while on vacation. I'm so sorry this happened to your DD and hope that she gets over it soon. Glad you are ready to move on and not let the thief steal the joy from your trip! Hope they find the guy or girl!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
kaligal
DIS Veteran

If you'll be upset when it is stolen, don't leave it unattended.

That goes double when you travel. Thieves love tourists.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #15
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Very sorry this happened. However, things of value cannot be left out of sight for even a minute. She could have grabbed the bag when she made her way inside the room. This is not just at WDW. My mom had her wallet stolen out of her purse, that she kept in a shopping cart at the grocery store, while she was getting something off the shelf. This happened to mom TWO TIMES. And it was in the 1990s, and in the "safe" suburbs. So not a new trend here.

This is an unfortunate, but lifelong lesson for your daughter, that as an adult she carries valuables now, not mommy and daddy anymore, and these valuables have to become like a second skin to her. That's why lots of people like a fanny pack or a mini-camera bag with neck strap, or ID/valuables lanyard around the neck, or pockets of some cargo pants. If you have your valuables in a bag, that bag must accompany you even if "for a minute." If your purse is in a cart, have your hand on the purse when you look over goods on the shelf, or take the purse with you if you are walking away from your cart.

Again, my heartfelt regrets.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: