Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #31
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Congratulations Izzie!! What a great way to start a trip report. Looking forward to reading more.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #32
Sapper383
DIS Veteran

Congratulations
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #33
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your engagement Can't wait to get to the bit where Scott proposes.
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #34
kirstinemma
Mouseketeer

Congratulations! Looking forward to reading more about your trip, especially your proposal story!

kirstinemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #35
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran

Great start! I can't wait to hear about the proposal!

Lucille1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #36
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

COngratulations on the engagement!

I love Cannonballs, I went to EoS in London on Sunday and was soooo disappointed that they'd run out.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #37
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
Congratulations Izzie!! What a great way to start a trip report. Looking forward to reading more.
Thanks!! Will hopefully post the next couple of days this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper383 View Post
Congratulations
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry blonde View Post
Congratulations on your engagement Can't wait to get to the bit where Scott proposes.
Thank you - I know - I love telling 'our story' about the proposal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstinemma View Post
Congratulations! Looking forward to reading more about your trip, especially your proposal story!
Thank you so much :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille1963 View Post
Great start! I can't wait to hear about the proposal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
COngratulations on the engagement!

I love Cannonballs, I went to EoS in London on Sunday and was soooo disappointed that they'd run out.
Thank you - I definately will be checking out EOS next time I'm down in London!! Hopefully they haven't run out of my hawaiin bbq!

Walt Disney World - September 2011 (Engagement Trip). October 2009 (21st Birthday Trip).
Disneyland Report Paris - 1995, Santa Fe / 2007, Explorers Hotel / 2010, Cheyenne / 2012, Newport Bay Hotel
Disneyland Resort California - April 2013
izzie-wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #38
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Sunday 25th September 2011 - Magic Kingdom (All Day)

Oh dear, this has taken me far, far too long to get Day 2 written up and posted! So without further ado...

Day 2 - Sunday 25th September 2011 - Magic Kingdom (All Day)

I don't think it's that difficult to explain just how exciting it is to wake up on your first day of a Disney trip!! Excited almost seems like an understatement! The plan was to be in Magic Kingdom all day! It was open from 9.00am until 1.00am with EMH. I think if you have the energy to do a park all day, it's probably best on the first day when you are so excited!

We definately had to start the trip with the Magic Kingdom - I couldn't imagine it being anywhere else as after the last trip we left visiting The Magic Kingdom til the 4th day and our holiday didn't really feel 'Disney' until we had seen the Castle - so Magic Kingdom it simply had to be!

We got the bus really quick and easy - it was our first time using the resort bus at Saratoga Springs and I really have only the best things to say about it - busses were really frequent and although the odd bus was busy, it never felt overcrowded and uncomfortable. Top Marks :D

We were outside the Magic Kingdom by about 8.30am, and got our spot at centre to watch the opening show. Whilst we waited we had our hearty breakfast from the previous evenings Earl of Sandwich Desserts - Cupcake / Brownies - so unhealthy but so, so good (although I think everything on holiday seems even better as I'm usually just off of a diet/gym routine!!!)!

The rope drop music started and I swear it was so embarrassing but the tears just started running down my cheeks - we were here!! I tried pulling myself together but it was pretty difficult I have to say - I just giggled it off

For some reason though - it was a shortened version of the whole show - the train came straight away with all the characters? Not sure what happened there but about a half-hour later all the singers and dancers did the whole song on Main Street anyway so we stopped to watch this so we still got to see it all

So we got in to the park - and went straight to Town Square Theatre to meet Mickey and Minnie and let them know we had arrived! We only waited about 5 minutes and we were in and I loved the whole themeing of the meet and greet - however we went back to this near the end of the trip and had an amazing experience here which was even better than this day!

As we walked down main street, we had a few photopass pictures taken and headed straight through to Tomorrowland.

I was wearing my Stitch Ears I got from Disneyland Paris and Scott had a Stitch TShirt he got from when his parents went to Disneyland Honk Kong (jealous!....). We had so so so so many compliments from cast members about our Stitch get up which was pretty awesome!

So we got to Tomorrowland and I think the first ride we went on to was Space Mountain - as this was closed last time we were here. It was so much faster than I had expected! I knew it was entirely different from the Paris version, and I suppose I had presumed that it would be really tame. Ok it wasn't quite 'The Hulk' coaster - but it was still fab!

We then went on Buzz / TTA / Speedway / Stitch / Space Mountain a couple more times! We saw Stitch too and had to go say hello!

We then headed across to Frontierland, only to see that Splash was broken down! This is my favourite ride in all of Disney - but I was pretty confident it would be back up and running later and knowing we had all day I wasn't too bothered - we were still able to pick up fast passes for this for later on anyway.

Instead, we went on Big Thunder Mountain, the Steam Boat and Haunted Mansion. We really took our time through looking at everything in Haunted Mansion and I think I have a much bigger appreciation for the whole ride - it's amazing! The last bit that has been updated when a ghost comes and hitch-hikes your doom buggy is amazing - no idea how they do it!

So by this point it was lunch time, and we decided to go to Pecos Bill in Frontierland. In fairness we did go at peak lunch time - but trying to find a seat in a counter service was pretty impossible! I think at that point of the trip we were maybe being too well mannered and walking around with our trays and noticing that at least half the tables were taken up by people waiting on other members of their party! We did eventually get a seat though.

We both had the delux cheeseburgers - that had onion rings in them with fries. Very tasty burger here. I had a carrot cake desert and Scott had the chocolate dessert. I didn't even eat half of my meal as we had a dinner reservation that day and there was A LOT of food - but it was really tasty theme park food! It wasn't anything different - it was typical theme park food, just done really well. You want a burger and dessert that is amazing in an obviously-really-bad-for-you way? Then seriously - go to Pecos Bill!

After lunch, we went across to Fantasy Land, to see Philharmagic! Ahhh beautiful show - I believe the tears came a little bit at The Little Mermaid. I think I always watch this show and realise that I'm not just in a cinema - as right outside is the Magic Kingdom! That's always an exciting thought I think!

We went on It's a Small World, then maybe Haunted Mansion again. Looked through a few different shops - Before heading across and riding the re-opened Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain a few times each.

It was getting a big later by this point, so we got the train from Fantasyland across to the main entrance for our Dinner ADR at Tony's Town Square Restaurant.

As a big Lady and the Tramp fan - I noticed this restaurant in our last trip and really wanted to go but we couldn't get a reservation. However the more I read about it when I got back I realised that the reviews were really, really mixed - some said it was great, some said it was completely awful. Like everything though, it is probably worth trying it for yourselves.

Our waitress was absolutely lovely here, and really helpful. We got a seat near the back of the restaurant and it was nice seeing all of the pictures and other small references to the film.

We started with the bread - which was standard bread! Nothing I can really say about that:

Then for main courses, we split Spaghetti and Meatballs:

and the Chicken Parmigiana:

Both dishes were good - I probably preferred the Chicken Parmigiana, but at the same time I think for a first time visit I couldn't pass up the classic Meatballs! The flavour of both dishes was a little bland - but that's the only bad thing I would have to say.

Quite randomly - the tables in this restaurant were really big - it felt like me and Scott were sitting really far apart!! The only reason we probably noticed this though is because I had asked him to nudge across a meatball to me with his nose - a la Lady and the Tramp! It didn't really work but he did it all the same - bless :D

For dessert, I had the Tiramasu :

This was ok - the little chocolate lady and the tramp was the best bit of the dessert, it had a lot of the mascarpone flavour - maybe i would have just liked a bit more chocolate / coffee flavour to be really impressed with it.

Scott had the Spumoni:

It didn't sound all the great on the menu and it wasn't exactly exciting when it came either. I didn't even bother trying this and Scott said it really wasn't anything to rave about. It did make the Tiramasu look amazing in comparison though.

So overall - Tony's was nice, it is definately not in any way as bad as some of the reviews on disboards - and its great that its in the Magic Kingdom and it was quite a chilled out atmosphere too - which is great for long park days as a chance to recharge your batteries. It's also not the best meal we had in Disney. As a comparison it's maybe about the same quality as a Frankie and Bennies with a nicer atmosphere?

Anyway, after dinner we went to see a comedy show. Mike from Monsters Inc's Laugh Floor - hehe this was really cute and good fun We then went on Space Mountain and then went to Main Street to watch Wishes

And so came at least the third time I cried that day! pretty much from the start to the finish - I just think this is the most amazing show ever. I had no idea at this point as well how exciting and special the next time I would watch Wishes would be - only a few nights later

At this point the park was closed, and was only open for EMH. I believe we went to Pirates, back to Splash and Big Thunder Mountain and then Philharmagic, Peter Pans Flight and Winnie the Pooh. By the time we were in the queue for Winnie the Pooh we were both flagging a little bit. It was about midnight and the queues were still pretty heavy so we decided to start heading back to the hotel after the ride.

We went out , stopping in at Main Street Bakery for tomorrow's breakfast and by the time we got out and on the bus we were probably back in the hotel just a little after 1.00am.

After such an exciting busy first day, we were both out like a light as soon as we got back to the hotel!!

Walt Disney World - September 2011 (Engagement Trip). October 2009 (21st Birthday Trip).
Disneyland Report Paris - 1995, Santa Fe / 2007, Explorers Hotel / 2010, Cheyenne / 2012, Newport Bay Hotel
Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #39
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Some more Photopass Pics from Magic Kingdom Day

Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #40
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Firstly, Congratulations

What a wonderful first day, I can totally feel your excitement and it's just lovely.

I am so excited to read about your proposal
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #41
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

Well done for lasting all day
Certainly a lot covered in one go.
We had the same problem in Peco Bills, so now tend to go to Columbia HH.
Tony's was a one off for us, I agree it is nothing special, but it is now on your 'done' list :good vibes
P.S. I like the photo pass border on the Haunted Mansion pic!
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #42
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Goodness Me - I am really bad at updating this, I keep forgetting!! Every time I come online I keep looking at wedding related ideas and I haven't even posted the engagement day on my trip report - I know how shocking, right!!?!

To make up for this - here are the next two days of our trip!

Day 3 - Monday 26th September 2011 - Pool and Hollywood Studios

Today, we let ourselves sleep in for a bit and woke up at about 9.30am. We sat on our balcony looking over Downtown Disney and enjoyed our pastries from main street bakery that we had picked up the night before. Scott picked up a pain au chocolat and I had a Cherry Danish - they kept really well over night and were very tasty.

The bakery is really accomodating for taking pastries away with you and had take-away boxes so that the treats don't get squished.

So we finished them up and decided to go down by the pool for an hour. We were in the Congress Park area of Downtown Disney and they have a 'quiet pool' there with a hot tub. The pool really was quiet it was just us and about 3 or 4 other groups - mostly couples or with older teen kids so it was very quiet and elaxing just to sunbathe. It was really quite awesome being able to swim and see the top of things like Disney Quest / Characters of Flight balloon at the same time

We then went back to the room and showered to go to Disneys Hollywood Studios. It was another EMH day - so the Studios were open til 1.00am - so we didn't mind not getting there til a bit later.

We probably got to the Studios at about 12.30pm. We checked to see if there were any fast passes left for toy story mania - and we were lucky enough to get a pair for later in the evening.

We went to get some lunch at Starring Rolls - I had to have one of their famous cupcakes!!

The first thing to mention about here is just how much food you for one counter service credit! We had what I think is the biggest Turkey and Mozzarella sandwich I have seen in my life, a bag of crisps, juice and a "too-good-for-actual-words" cupcake!

The sandwich was really good though - it's easier to eat than it looks as well! We kept the crisps in our bag - so it was good to know we had a snack for in the room or when we were watching a show or something.

The cupcake though - seriously the best! I had the peanut butter cupcake - it was easily the nicest dessert I had in the whole of Disney - even in comparison to the signature restaurants (I know, crazy!) - you need this cupcake in your life (if you appreciate chocolate and peanut butter I suppose - keeping it in perspective!)

We then went to share a nummy Frozen Margarita - clearly I got drunk just smelling it!

After we ate we wondered around, looked in some shops and rode some rides - Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror (these rides never get old! I love both of them and me and Scott must have had about 10 conversations trying to pick a favourite!).

We did the updated Star Tours as well - which was really good actually! I enjoy this ride much more with the changes and as it has new parts so that every ride has differences we rode this a few times throughout the trip.

I think by this point it was starting to rain a little bit, then slightly more - so we went to draw in the Animation Building, we drew Jiminy Cricket. I really enjoy the drawing here too - I could probably spend the whole day drawing different characters

We then went to meet Sorcerer Mickey before going to see the Stunt Show.

Unfortunately, even though the the rain had eased off by this point - the sky was still looking quite dangerous and 5 minutes before start time, with so so many people sitting in the stands, they had to cancel the show. I felt bad as I know this is something Scott really enjoys, as his big hobby is cars and he has started drifting recently so he would have loved to see it again - and the show was under construction for the rest of our trip. I personally wasn't too bothered though!

Since we were at that side of the park - we went to meet Lightning McQueen and Mater, surprisingly there wasn't much of a wait considering everyone coming out of the show.

We then went to watch the Muppets - as the rain started again about this time too so it was nice to be guaranteed inside!

After this our dinner reservations at 50s Prime Time were coming up - so we headed in that direction, with a quick 3D trip to Endor on the way.

We were still a little early so we sat at the bar in Tune-In Lounge - seriously wish I knew about this little bar on our previous trip - it's fantastic and such a retreat from the park! We ordered two (tasty and light up) cocktails - Grandmas Picnic Punch for me and a Dads Electric Lemonade for Scott - and sat at the bar waiting to be called.

We were about half way through our drinks and were called for dinner. I wasn't quite sure what I would make of the joking around and things I'd read about 50s Prime Time but I need not have worried as it was such a good experience. It was the right amount of banter without being obtrusive. Our 'uncle' made a big fuss over our glowing drinks, and pointed us in the direction of the PB&J milkshake for later on.

We ordered a sampler plate each for our main, as we wanted to try a bit of everything - it was nice for what it was - and I would definately have the sampler again.

Dessert we split the smores and the brownie sundae - the brownie sundae is MASSIVE! haaha but its really just a mis-mash of brownie / cream etc and the smores were good - mostly because it's something a bit different and I'd never had them but they were nice The PB&J Shake really is worth writing home about though - very sweet, but thats not a problem for me - NUM!

Overall, 50s Prime Time Diner - best for the Tune-In Lounge, Service and Banter and PB&J Shake. The food is not bad in any way whatsoever but you wouldn't go there for a 'nice' meal? But it's a good-unique meal that fits in perfectly with the whole theme - I'd definately go back.

After our meal - the rain was still going and we were worried it might cancel Fantasmic!

We had our FPs for Toy Story Mania to use - so we went and rode that. Love that ride so much - sooo much fun!

Then we headed across to Fanstasmic theatre, and by the time we sat down, the rain had completely stopped - yey!

We watched Fanstamic - agan like Toy Story I won't go on about how amazingly awesome it is because I'm sure you've heard it all before and know about it!

After Fanstamic - it was EMH in the park. So we rode Tower of Terror and Rock N Roller Coaster 2 - 3 teams each - yey! Again, can't get bored/tired of these rides and always notice something new!

We then went to ride Toy Story Mania - even thought it was EMH there was still about a 30 minute wait, but it was showing as a 50 minute wait.

We were pretty tired by this point (I' don't think I realised until writing this down that it was actually a really busy day!!) and headed back to the hotel as we had an early start the next day going to Universal...

Old 11-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #43
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Tuesday 27th September 2011 - Universal Day

Thankfully, we were not too tired getting up this morning since we had a busy / late night the night before.

We had booked the Mears Shuttle Bus the day before to pick us up - and they were at the main Carriage House at SSR right on time. We had a couple of stops and got to Universal in plenty of time before it opened. If you don't have a car hire and wondering how to get from Disney to Universal - 100% recommend a Mears Shuttle. Unless there are enough of you to fill a taxi - then to be honest the price is so comparable that I would get a taxi.

We went to Starbucks in City Walk first - I had a latte and a Cheese Danish - both were nice / Starbucks! It's nice getting home comforts sometimes - by the way talking of Starbucks - who else is addicted to Gingerbread Lattes right now - oh num!!!

Haha moving on!!! We headed to Islands of Adventure first - obviously heading straight to Harry Potter as we had never been!! We got there and wow - the themeing of Hogsmeade is definately amazing. We went straight to Hogwarts and rode the main Harry Potter ride twice - complete walk on! Score!

I have nothing to compare what the ride is like as it's totally new and innovative! It's got the right level of scariness and it just totally immersers you in the world of Harry Potter!

We then looked around some shops / went on Flight of the Hippogriff (lol) and Dragons Challenge - slightly disapointed when we realised they don't start both coasters at the same time anymore.

We didn't have any Butterbeer or visit Ollivanders as we said that we would leave some of the 'new experiences' until our second visit the following week.

We left Hogsmeade - taking a picture with Hogwarts Express and Train Man.

We then decided to head to Universal Studios and would come back to Islands of Adventure later on in the day to do Hulk / Spiderman/Wet Rides.

So we went through Seuss Landings and went on the High in the Sky Train and Cat in the Hat. We also met Cat in the Hat and the Grinch.

Heading through to Universal - we went in and there were characters everywhere! So we went and met Scooby Doo! and a couple of others.

We then spent the day going on all the rides - Hollywood Rip Ride Rock It, The Mummy, The Simpsons, ET and watched the Horror Make Up Show and the Animals in Action Show (both shows are worth watching). We stopped for Lunch at the Italian Place next to The Mummy Ride for a slice of pizza and a glass of white wine / beer.

We then went back to Islands of Adventure, going on the Hulk, Spiderman, Jurassic Park and then Dudley Doo Rights Ripsaw Falls. Oh jeeeez - you really do get soaked on this ride. To be honest, afterwards I felt a bit like a drowned rat and just wanted to go back to the hotel and freshen up!

So we had called the shuttle place to pick us up and got back to the hotel about 8pm. We were both completely beat and tired but hadn't had any dinner. We debated on whether we should go get something or not for so long and we just gave oruselves a shake and went to Wolfgang Puck and got a take-out. I had the chicken alfredo and cheesecake and scott had the pizza. unfortunately we had to wait over 30 minutes for our food to take out - as we were really tired we were a bit cranky as it seemed a bit excessive to wait that long.

We finally got our food, took it back to the room - luckily it was worth the wait and was really tasty.

We then were asleep by about 10.00pm that night!

Coming Up - Wednesday 28th September - a VERY special and Engageing day

Old 11-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #44
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

These updates are like London buses - you wait AGES and then 2 come along at once!

Great sandwich at DHS - do you think they could get any more filling in there? I need to get me one of those peanut butter cupcakes next time we are there as well.

Really looking forward to the next (and most important) update.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #45
kirstinemma
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying your trip report!
We're considering booking the mears shuttle for when we got to Universal a couple times, do you just ring the day before to book it? I looked on their website, but I think I wasn't looking properly as I couldn't find anything!

Looking forward to your next update.

kirstinemma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: