Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #121
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Nine Dragons

Tonight we had VIP viewing for illuminations booked (a perk of booking with Disney UK), so we wanted to eat at Epcot. Iíd read mixed reviews of Nine Dragons, but I thought the menu looked ok so weíd decided to give it a try.

We had a 6:45 reservation, arrived just before 6:30 and were seated immediately. The place was only about half full, but we were given a very small two top table, directly by the entrance, certainly not the best seat in the house. The tables are very close together here, but the decor is pretty. I do like the practice your chinese table mats, which kept us occupied while waiting for our food.

To start I chose the walnut shrimp toast. This was a huge appetiser, three pieces of crunchy shrimp toast, not too greasy, and a decent prawn flavour. Iím not a huge walnut fan so I removed the walnuts from the two pieces I ate (DH had the other piece). The sweet and sour dipping sauce was good, a little more vinegary than Iíd get in chinese restaurants back home, but still good and worked well with the toast.

DH chose the Shrimp and Taro lollipops. Neither of us knew what taro was and had to ask our server, but itís a starchy root vegetable, obviously not eaten much in England. The lollipops were four huge deep fried balls, of shrimp encased in a layer of taro, then breadcrumbs. These were served with a soy based dipping sauce, I loved the presentation and DH enjoyed these. The outside was very crunchy, working well with soft shrimp and taro, a very pleasant start to the meal.

For my entree I chose the honey sesame chicken. We donít really get honey chicken in chinese restaurants back home, so I thought Iíd give this a try. The chicken was moist, and the batter nice and crunchy. The honey sauce was too bland for me, but I guess it was honey based so it wouldnít be the most flavourful. There was tons of chicken, and I left about half. The jasmine rice was nicely cooked, and I really liked the little cucumber salad, it was very fresh, with a light vinaigrette.

DH chose the fish. This was a large fillet of fish, served with jasmine rice and a soy based broth. I donít think DH asked what type of fish it was, but he enjoyed this, it was a much lighter entree than mine, but it had lots of flavour, and again was a big portion. As an aside I loved the fish shaped plate it was served on.

For dessert I gave the caramel ginger ice cream a try. The texture was very creamy, but the ginger flavour was a little too strong, a couple of spoonfuls were enough for me.

DH chose the ginger cake. This was surprisingly good, very soft moist vanilla cake, filled with buttercream and topped with icing. The ginger flavour was very mild, and we both enjoyed this dessert.

Service here was fine, but nothing fantastic. It was a very quick meal, weíd had all three courses in 50 minutes, but on the whole we enjoyed the food here. Weíd possibly go back again, but it hasnít made it onto my must do list.

As weíd finished so early we had plenty of time before illuminations began. We wondered around world showcase, and I wanted to try the caramel shop having heard so many good things about it.

World showcase was very empty that night, but caramel kuche was still pretty busy. The caramel smells are incredible, and after waiting in line for five minutes DH chose a chocolate cupcake and I picked the chocolate caramel marshmallow.

We nibbled on these for the next couple of days. The cupcake was good, soft cake topped with tons of frosting. The frosting was too sweet for DH and he mostly just ate the cake and caramel.

The marshmallow was also nice. Soft marshmallow, covered in a thick layer of dark chocolate and caramel drizzle. The dark chocolate meant it wasnít extremely sweet, unfortunately I never got round to finishing this, and about half got thrown away.

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Sept 2007 - POFQ/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2008 - AKL/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2009 - SSR/BWI/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2011 - BC/Royal Pacific/CR
Sept 2012 - BC/Royal Pacific
May 2013 - WL/Royal pacific
Sept 2013 - Royal Pacific
iluvpluto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #122
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

I'm really enjoying your reviews

You don't see too many reviews on Nine Dragons so it was good to read your thoughts

I am a big fan of ginger so I would probably have loved the ice cream
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #123
mousegear
DIS Veteran

All caught up! I love your review of Nine Dragons. We may try it next trip when DS wants his rice fix. The Taro and Shrimp ball looks yummy and fun!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #124
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Nine dragons looks quite good.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #125
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Wow! Great reviews and photos!

I also had the honey chicken at Nine Dragons - I also left about half of it!

Can't wait to read more
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #126
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Your reviews are great!! Can't wait to hear about Mythos at Universal. I'm going there for one day in November. Thanks for sharing!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #127
Kat in GA
DIS Veteran

I am loving your reviews - can't wait to read more!
Coronado Springs - April 2013; AKL - CL - Feb 2013; ASMo - Dec 2012; AoA, BWV & CR - Sept/Oct 2012; POR - May/June 2012; All star Sports - April 2012; BC - Feb 2012; Caribbean Beach - Dec 2011; AKL - Nov 2011; Offsite - Oct 2011; POP & WL - Aug/Sept 2011; Offsite June/July 2011; POFQ- Sept 2009; Coronado Springs - Sept 2007; Offsite - Jan 2007; POFQ - Sept 2006

Kat in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #128
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Between the cinnamon roll, the chocolate wave and that cupcake, I am not sure which I want the most.

We like Nine Dragons too, but it is not on our must do list either.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #129
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
I'm really enjoying your reviews

You don't see too many reviews on Nine Dragons so it was good to read your thoughts

I am a big fan of ginger so I would probably have loved the ice cream
Thank you, the ice cream probably would have been right up your street if you a big ginger fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousegear View Post
All caught up! I love your review of Nine Dragons. We may try it next trip when DS wants his rice fix. The Taro and Shrimp ball looks yummy and fun!
Thank you, the appetisers there were really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
Nine dragons looks quite good.
It was definitely better than I was expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
Wow! Great reviews and photos!

I also had the honey chicken at Nine Dragons - I also left about half of it!

Can't wait to read more
Thank you, they give you a massive amount of chicken don't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut1149 View Post
Hi
Your reviews are great!! Can't wait to hear about Mythos at Universal. I'm going there for one day in November. Thanks for sharing!!
Thank you, hope you enjoy Mythos. We loved it last time but this time we thought it was just ok. Not sure if it was the time we chose to dine, but we seemed very rushed, whereas last time we ate there around 2 and the meal was paced much better. DH's crab sliders were really good though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat in GA View Post
I am loving your reviews - can't wait to read more!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Between the cinnamon roll, the chocolate wave and that cupcake, I am not sure which I want the most.

We like Nine Dragons too, but it is not on our must do list either.
Out of those three the chocolate wave would be my pick!!

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #130
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Sanaa

On our way out of Epcot the previous day weíd stopped at Boulangerie Patisserie to get some snacks for breakfast the following day.
I picked an Almond Triangle. This was good, but I put it in the fridge overnight and it would have been better left out. The pastry was a bit too cold, but very flaky and buttery, with a nice almond filling. I could have done with more filling and less pastry, but it was fine.

DH had the Napolean. Thick cream sandwiched between crispy pastry, drenched with icing sugar. Delicious!

We spent the morning at Animal Kingdom, and left just after 12 to have lunch at Sanaa. Sanaa was pretty empty, and we were seated quickly at a window table, which had a view of the zebra and giraffes outside.

Our server greeted us quickly, and we just stuck to soft drinks as I felt a bit dehydrated after running around AK all morning.

I chose the Potato and Pea Samosas as my appetiser. These were so good. Flaky pastry, lots of soft potato and pea filling, a nice balance of spice, complemented well be the mango chutney.

DH chose the bread service, he picked Naan, Paneer Paratha and Onion Kulcha. All three were good although the naan was a bit crispy in the centre. He picked cucumber raita (nice creamy texture, but not enough cucumber), mango chutney and pickled garlic (really tasty, cloves of garlic marinated in a blend of spices). This was really good, and such a big portion I had a try of each bread.

For my entree I chose the tandoori chicken. This was a huge entree and really good value at $14.99 if you were paying cash for the meal. It consisted of a naan bread, topped with mixed leaves, tomato, onion, chicken pieces, raita and tikka sauces. The Naan was good, the salad was fresh and the sauces were thick and added flavour to the dish. The chicken was good, there was loads of it though and it was a mix of white and dark meat. I was expecting something similar to the tandoori chicken weíd get in indian restaurants back home, but it was much milder than that and it didnít seem like it was cooked in a tandoori oven. Overall though a good, unique dish.

DH chose the slow cooked in gravy, thai green curry shrimp and stewed lentils, with five grain pilaf. The shrimp were good, well cooked and the sauce had a little bit of heat in it. The lentils were very good, perfectly cooked, deep flavour but no spice. The rice was well cooked, and the mix of grains added extra texture to the dish. Again a very good entree.

For dessert we had the chai cream. This was absolutely delicious, thick cream which captured the flavour of chai perfectly. Served with a chocolate dipped spoon, which added a little chocolate taste. Very smooth dessert, which was very moreish, even though we were full it was hard to let any of this go to waste.

We were both very impressed with our lunch here. Nice atmosphere, unique, well prepared dishes and again it was worth leaving Animal Kingdom for. We were very lucky with the buses too so it didnít take too much time out of our day.

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Old 10-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #131
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Narcoosees

We had 7:45pm reservations at Narcoosees, and I was hoping to catch Hallowishes from the deck afterwards. DH had never really enjoyed his meals here, as the vegetarian entree had never been very good, but now he was eating seafood there would be a lot more choice for him.

We checked in just after 7:30pm, and were told we should be seated close to our reservation time. Normally the bar at Narcoosees is really busy but this time it was nearly empty, so we decided to grab a drink there before dinner.

I ordered a Tropical Mojito, which was made with mango rum. This just had a hint of mango in it, and was a nice, refreshing drink. DH just went with a jack on the rocks. By the time the bartender had made the drinks, our pager was flashing so we settled the bill and went to be seated.

We were seated at a four top on the ground level, one away from the window. Narcoosees always has quite a bustling vibe to it and is a lot louder than the likes of Artist Point. Itís not excessively loud or anything, but itís not the quiet surroundings you might get at other signatures. Our server was good here, she was efficient, friendly and knew the menu well.

For my appetiser I chose the cheese plate. This consisted of three cheeses, a Reypenaer VSOP (the slices of hard, yellow cheese), which was paired with a lovely almond honey, MT TAM Triple Cream Brie and Caveman Blue Cheese. The Triple cream brie was my favourite, wonderfully creamy, just a little sharp, salty taste which worked well with the strawberries. The blue cheese was good, reasonably strong blue paired with walnuts, and the Reypenaer worked very well with the almond pairing.

DH chose the lobster spring roll. The pastry was very crisp, filled with big chunks of lobster and shredded vegetables. The soy-orange dipping sauce was very good, just a hint of orange flavour, but the spicy mayonaise wasnít really spicy and it didnít really seem to add much to the dish.

For my entree I chose the crab crusted Mahi Mahi. I loved this dish back in 2009, and it didnít disappoint this time either. A beautifully cooked fillet of mahi mahi, with a a thick layer of crab cake on top. This added lots of flavour, a little spice and kept the fish really moist. This was served on a bed of fingerling potatoes (well cooked), green beans and a lemon sauce. I liked the sauce, it was very thick and creamy and worked well with the fish. When DH tried this dish he didnít like the sauce, thinking it was too lemony and overpowered the fish, so I guess itís down to personal taste, but for me this dish was a winner.

DH ordered that nights special, Pan Seared scallops served with wild mushroom risotto, asparagus and a port wine reduction. This was another great dish, perfectly cooked scallops, creamy mushroom risotto which was cooked just right, so the rice still had a little bite to it, the asparagus was also well cooked and the port wine reduction added sweetness to the dish.

I was very full at this point, but the cheesecake from here was my favourite dessert last time so I had to order it. Again this didnít disappoint, rich creamy almond flavoured cheesecake, encased in a sweet almond crust, served with cherries and a little whipped cream. This dessert is to die for, and it killed me that I couldnít finish it, luckily DH stepped in and helped me out, meaning none of this delicious dessert was wasted!

DH chose the strawberry lemon tart. The shortcrust pastry was thick and buttery, the filling had a mild lemon flavour which worked well with the fresh strawberries on top. He thought this was nice, but not a stunning dessert, and preferred my cheesecake.

We were given a complimentary glass of champagne to celebrate our anniversary which was a really nice gesture.

I ordered coffee with dessert, and was given a large press pot which was covered on the dining plan. This was very good coffee, much better than whatís served at most disney restaurants.

Overall we both really enjoyed our meal here. All 3 courses were very good, service was good, and after our meal we were able to watch the Electric Water Parade and Hallowishes from the deck, a perfect ending to the meal!

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #132
mousegear
DIS Veteran

I love your review of Sanaa. I am kind of afraid to try Sanaa. The food there seems so out of my normal range. However, one of these days, I'm going to pluck up my courage and try it.

Of course, your meal at Narcoosees looks awesome. It's always romantic and food always looks great!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #133
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

Love, love, love your reviews! You've hit on many of my favorite restaurants. I love Sanaa and the funny thing is that when we had dinner there in June (also on the DxDP), I ordered the exact same 3 courses your DH ordered - the bread service, the green curry chrimp with lentils and 5-grain rice, and the chai cream. Loved all of it!

We're staying at the YC in just a few days, so I read with interest your reviews of Captain's Grill, BC Marketplace morning snacks and BnC.

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #134
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great updates

Sanaa is on my 'ones to try' list

I love the look of the scallop dish at Narcoossees
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #135
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Great reviews! The chai cream at Sanaa is one of my favorite Disney desserts. We try to make it to Narcoossee's on every trip and have always had good experiences.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
ChildAtHeart82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: