Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets
Great start to your TR. Are you sure you're only 14? I'm looking forward to the rest, especially your day at Discovery Cove since we will travel there next May. Can't wait for your next post.

Yes, we will do the dolphin swim. DD has wanted to do something like that since she was your age. We are all really looking forward to it. Keep the TR posts coming!
Oh good. Hope you enjoy it- we sure did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microcell View Post
Great trip report! There is only one hour difference between Missouri and Florida and we are usually quite jetlagged, I cannot imagine 6 hours (isn't it?)!

Tuning in for more spectacular vacation reporting!
Awww thanks! There's a five hour time difference from the UK to Florida. It was easy adjusting to the Floridian time, we were all so excited, but it has been more difficult adjusting back to British time. We're exhausted! You're very lucky being so close to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFamily5 View Post
I'm in! I'm 14 too! Can't wait to read more! I have a TR too if you want to come check it out. Link is at the bottom...
Hello there! It's great to meet another 14 year old. Can't wait to check yours out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
Great TR so far, we stayed at SSR in a 1 bed last year and loved it, looking forward to the rest of the report.
Thanks for joining in! SSR is really great, eh?

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
TinkerbellBby
Mouseketeer

I'm subscribing . Can't wait to read more about your trip .
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
meggiebeth

Epcot- Part 1 (Breakfast at Akershus)

So- our first day was at Epcot! We were planning to get there for morning EMHs, but, as I have already said, we are not morning people. We managed to get to Epcot for park opening at 9am... which was a shame, but it was our first day.
As we drove along the road in excitement, we finally caught sight of the Epcot ball. It was great seeing the Disney icons like this for the first time, in person, and not just images on the computer.
As we entered the park, the boys seemed keen on doing Test Track first. However, we decided to try Soarin' first. So we headed over and got a fastpass for it. It was for around 10:30am, which was when our breakfast reservation for Akershus was, though. We didn't yet know though that you could use a fastpass after it's expiration time. I had read on here that some people did it, but I didn't know whether it was actually allowed or whether they just got away with it. We were told by a CM later in the week that it's a great Disney secret that apparently not many people know about, and it was allowed. Things got a lot easier from then on!
However, on the first day, we didn't know this, and seeing as we were starving hungry already, we decided to head up to Akershus early and see if we could get seated. Surprisingly, 10 minutes after we asked, we were taken to our table. Akershus is really beautiful, we loved it.

Here are some photos taken while we were waiting to be seated. It was very hot and humid even though it was only 9:30am. Unfortunately, most of these photos were also deleted by my 'thoughtful' brother. We had a problem with the memory on our camera, we had one memory card, which was full after 3 days. So we then had to delete as many photos and videos as we could until we had time to go and buy a new one. We bought one from Walmart which didn't work, which was extremely frustrating. It was day 8 of our vacation when we finally bought a memory card from Publix. So I apolagise in advance for the lack of photographs that there may be.

Anyways...

Me and Rorsie by the statue in Norway.

Us again! These were the only pictures we had before Akershus. I took Rory into the small shop in Norway whilst we were waiting to be let in. We just aren't used to the head and humidity in Florida! (Despite that, we really loved it! We had... about a day and a half of actual 'hot' days in the UK this year. We're in the south, so it's even colder in the north! )

Anyway- part of the shop is open, I believe in relation to the Princess Breakfast? It sold things like Princess dresses, accessories and merchandise. Rory saw some sheilds and swords and wanted these. He also liked the polar bear plush toys. He's going through that age where he can't take no for an answer. However, just then, we were called in, and Rory, who was looking forward to meeting his favourite princess, Ariel, excitedly ran off.

Breakfast at Akershus!

As we entered, we were invited to go and meet Belle, who was in an alleyway where everyone would get their picture with her. Belle is one of my two favourite princesses, so I really enjoyed it. Rory was totally in awe! He was so excited to meet the 'real' Belle. He used to think princesses were just for girls, but since meeting them, he really likes them!
Here is the photo we took ourselves, more to come though, I just haven't got them at the moment. William considered it babyish and stupid, I guess teenage boys do think that. It was a shame to not see him in the family photo with Belle. But... there's no point forcing him to do something he doesn't want to do- it's his holiday too I suppose!

Here's me and Rors with Belle. The photos that the photographer took were so much better, I'll put them on when I can find them. Our camera is really basic, we aim to get a new one for our next WDW vacation.

We had a family photo after this (minus William) and then were seated at our table. The actual restaurant was really beautiful. We were pretty much all in awe. Disney really leaves no detail out!
It's really cool how the people working in each country are from that specific country! It feels really authentic. Our waitress was very friendly. I did take pictures of our plates here, but all of them except for mine were... wait for it... deleted!!!

Here's my plate. As you can see, I'm not a very adventurous eater. I am also a vegetarian, so the fish and meat were not much good for me either. And... the truth is... I only ate the banana. Just after we got our cold plates, the hot plate was brought out. I believe there was bacon, sausages, potato casserole and scrambled eggs? I can't quite remember. The reason I didn't eat much of my cold plate was because the potato casserole was really delicious. I completely filled up on it... it was very moreish.

I can't remember the details on what the others said about the food, but they really liked it. I do remember them saying that they really liked the bacon, which I was surprised about. I had heard quite a few people say Disney bacon wasn't good at all. It was very thin, however, and quite crispy, I believe? Mummy and daddy wouldn't stop saying 'Wow, well done, Meg, this is awesome. This place is great! Can we come back?!' I do have to say, Akershus is very smart.

So- the first princess to come round was Aurora. She wasn't quite as friendly as the other princesses. She didn't spend much time with us at all... signed mine and Rory's autograph books and took a photo with Rory. We didn't really mind though, because she isn't one of our favourite princesses.

Here they are! Rory really enjoyed meeting the princesses... and surprisingly wasn't afraid to admit it!
Then, Ariel came over. This was Rory's favourite princess and he was really in awe of her. It was so priceless to see the expression on his face as she said hello to him. Here's the pic.

Next up was Cinderella.

Then, the waitress brought over a cute little cupcake and card signed by all the princesses for daddy's birthday. He was really pleased. Considering everything else at Disney is so expensive, it's awesome that they add little touches like this. Here he is smiling away:

Of course- we still hadn't seen Snow White yet! My dad likes Snow White. Snow White was by far the most talkative princess, she spent quite a bit more time with us than the others. She talked to Rory and my dad about the seven dwarfs and what they were up to. Rory just sat in his seat, mesmerised. His favourite princess used to be Snow White, until I showed him a video of Akershus on YouTube. (Oops!) He saw her kiss a little boy on the cheek, went 'Ewwww!' and then refused to like her anymore. So now his favourite is Ariel. Here's the picture: (not the best I'm afraid!)

Well, that was the end of our meal at Akershus. I remain admanant that that was one of the best meals of the trip. It doesn't get mentioned as much as some of the other restaurants, which surprises me. It was a great place to eat and avoid the long character greeting queues. Of course, we didn't try Cinderella's Royal Table, but Akershus was so good it would be hard to beat it! (Besides, it was 1 credit as apposed to the 2 credits CRT requires)

Oh... also, we recieved two photos in the Akershus cover (not sure what they're called) for free which was a pleasant surprise. I thought you had to pay for things like that. When we ate at 'Ohana, Chef Mickey's and Tusker House, you had to pay for photos. The photos at Akershus were really good too! The one thing I wish would be different was that some character meal would have Mulan in. She is my other favourite 'princess' (well she isn't really one but she is marketed as one.) I know she appears in China, but the queues were so long and there was so much to do we just didn't have time to see her. Even in the Disney shops, they had lots of Cinderella, Ariel, Snow White, Aurora, Sleeping Beauty and Tiana dolls, but Mulan was virtually non- existant. I guess she just isn't as big.

Our Ratings:
Me- 9/10
"The food was very good, character interaction was good, and value was good... The atmosphere was really magical, and the service was friendly too.

Will (Dad)- 8/10
"Asked for the potato casserole, and the chef was more than happy to come out and give us the recipe."

Tracey (Mum)- 8/10
"The breakfast was delicious, especially the potato casserole. As it was our first one, it's difficult to rate it. The atmosphere was nice, and the service was good too."

William- 3/10
"I didn't like it."

Rory- 9/10
"I thought I liked all of the princesses. My favourite princess is Ariel because she is a mermaid. The food was really great. The bacon was delicious!"

That's it for now! Next update coming really soon!

~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,

Old 08-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
broadwaybookworm
Earning My Ears

I'm subscribing! Sounds like an awesome trip!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
meggiebeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellBby View Post
I'm subscribing . Can't wait to read more about your trip .
Thanks so much for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaybookworm View Post
I'm subscribing! Sounds like an awesome trip!
Thanks for joining in. It really was!

Old 08-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
teacherlady8
Earning My Ears

I am really enjoying this trip report! We have never been either.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
meggiebeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherlady8 View Post
I am really enjoying this trip report! We have never been either.
Oh really? If you ever do get the chance, go. It's great, and worth every penny!

Old 08-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #23
PrincessCharlie
Mouseketeer

Love the report, Glad you was able to convert your family into Disney freaks, well most of them anyway!
Old 08-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #24
RDP
DIS Veteran

loving the trip so far, we are going to Akershus in October so its great to hear you enjoyed it, DS 4 and DD6 are going to love it, and the food looks great, we have been to CRT and it certainly compares well. DS 4 loves the princesses and DD 6 just loves all of it! Your pictures are great BTW
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani , 2014 PFB, DCL, CR
Old 08-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #25
Zarabear
Mouseketeer

Great report!! I wasn't able to get a Akershus breakfast in, I was traveling with my son and husband so I was totally outvoted. I was able to get the CRT in, because they thought it would be neat to eat in the castle and it was SO not worth the 2 TS credits. Next time, we'll be giving this a try instead.

~Zara
Old 08-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #26
meggiebeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCharlie View Post
Love the report, Glad you was able to convert your family into Disney freaks, well most of them anyway!
Thanks for reading! Haha, I agree, now even they want to return to WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
loving the trip so far, we are going to Akershus in October so its great to hear you enjoyed it, DS 4 and DD6 are going to love it, and the food looks great, we have been to CRT and it certainly compares well. DS 4 loves the princesses and DD 6 just loves all of it! Your pictures are great BTW
Awww thanks! You and your kids will love Akershus I'm sure. It's just such a great atmosphere. The princesses did a parade around the restaurant every so often with all the 'princes and princesses'. I don't know whether they do this at CRT but it looked like all the kids were having so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabear View Post
Great report!! I wasn't able to get a Akershus breakfast in, I was traveling with my son and husband so I was totally outvoted. I was able to get the CRT in, because they thought it would be neat to eat in the castle and it was SO not worth the 2 TS credits. Next time, we'll be giving this a try instead.

~Zara
Such a shame you couldn't get Akershus in, at least you tried CRT. I wanted to do that but no one else wanted to because of the princesses- the only reason we settled for Akershus was because we needed a TS breakfast in Epcot. I'm sure your husband and son will like it though, as long as they are not totally against princesses Hope you enjoy it!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #27
gallmcduck
Gallmcduck

Great TR so far joining in, I totally get the tiredness when you first arrive we are from Scotland, the long flight is so worth it though, look forward to reading more.

Aug 1997 Offsite I Drive 14 Nights (ME & DH), Sept 1998 Offsite Kissimmee 14 Nights (ME & DH our engagement), Sept 1999 Offsite Kissimmee 14 Nights (ME & DH), Nov 2000 Poly & 4 Night Disney Wonder Eastern Cruise 14 Nights (ME & DH our Honeymoon), June 2001 Offsite Davenport Villa 14 Nights (ME, DH & family members), Sept 2002 Offsite Gulf Coast Clearwater 14 Nights (ME, DH & family members), June 2004 Offsite Kissimmee Villa 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS & family members), Sept 2005 Offsite & 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS & family members), Sept 2006 Offsite I Drive (ME, DH, DS, DD & family members),October 2008 Offsite Vista Cay Condo 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS, DD & family members), July 2010 POR 17 Days (ME, DH, DS, DD1, DD2 & family members) October 2012 17 days Pop, Fantasy, OKW (ME, DH, DS, DD1, DD2 & family members July 2014 Gulfcoast Clearwater 3 nights, OKW 14 Nights (ME, DH, DS, DD1, DD2 & family members
Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #28
meggiebeth

Epcot- Part 2

Hello again! Nearly time for bed (timezones really mess up my sleeping pattern!) but I decided to do one more update.

So- after we ate at Akershus, we headed over to Test Track to get a FastPass. It was about 10:45am so we could now head over to Soarin'. Even though we had FP, there was about a 10 minute wait, but boy was it worth it! I had read how some people loved it, but I just didn't know what to expect. It was so much better than I was expecting it to be. Our whole family screamed as we smelt the oranges! I just don't know how they do it, but Soarin' was just magical. Only Disney could do that, right?

Then we went to Living with the Land, which had absolutely no queue. It was interesting, especially to see all of the different plants. Here are my mum, Willum and Rory enjoying the ride:

When we got out, there was a queue! It was quite funny, we felt very lucky. Rory was in a massive strop because he was so thirsty, and yes, we had water, but no, Rory would not accept the water we had, stating water was 'gross' and demanded some coke. Seeing as we had a ton of snack credits, we all got a drink from Sunshine Seasons.

Test Track Incident
We headed over to Test Track, and William was very excited. This was the ride he was most looking forward to in the whole of WDW. But just as we were in the room watching the video prior to the show, Rory got a massive nose bleed. Daddy, in an attempt to stop it so that we would not miss TT, let Rory use his shirt as a tissue, hoping it would end quickly. Unfortunately, it just got worse. As we were in the queue, about to board a car, a really kind man offered us his hankercheif. It was so sweet! Pretty much everyone is nice at WDW, the CMs and guests! This wasn't enough to let Rorsie get on the ride though, and he started crying. Not because of his nose bleed, but because he was so distraught that he was missing Test Track!
Me, Willum and Mummy rode TT while Daddy and Rors were hurried away by cast members. Test Track was really good... far better than any of us had expected! We headed through the gift shop, and looked for Rory and my dad. They were nowhere to be seen.
We sat out by the Test Track entrance, hoping that we'd see them walk by. We were increasingly worried that we would be late for our late lunch ADR at Tutto Italia. I said "Do you think they'll have let them ride? Maybe that's why they're late."
"No, I shouldn't think so." my mum said. "He won't be let on again. We'll have to get another FastPass for him and Daddy."
Suddenly though, Rory dashed towards us from the gift shop shouting how much he'd loved Test Track. They'd let him ride again! Disney is awesome.
But that wasn't it. Because their shirts were both covered in blood, Disney gave them both a voucher entitling them to a shirt! They could choose whatever shirt they liked, and they had $30 each to spend to choose one. My dad chose one with Grumpy on and Rorsie chose one with Pluto, one of his favourite Disney characters. Disney's customer service is the best, like, ever. I mean... where else would they virtually put $60 in someone's pocket?! I guess that's why people return to Disney. I suppose they didn't want people patrolling around Epcot in shirts covered with blood- considering everything else is so clean!
It was one of the things that made our day. We were 1/2 an hour late for our ADR at Tutto Italia, but we were still let in.

That's it for now... coming up next... Tutto Italia for lunch!
(P.s. there will be more pictures... sorry for the lack of them in this post! )

Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #29
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your trip report very much. I love your dress too, so pretty.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #30
RDP
DIS Veteran

Our 14 yr old niece will be staying with us on our Oct trip, can you let me know the 'must do' things in your opinion!
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani , 2014 PFB, DCL, CR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: