Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #166
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Finishing Up at Epcot

Hey Everyone!

Sorry I haven't updated in a while- but here's the next update! Happy 1st December! I had the first chocolate in my advent calendar today.

We were leaving Chefs de France when Rory asked for something that he'd seen in China earlier. It was a 'golden' dragon figure and he thought it was the Golden Dragon of Unity from Mulan. "Just $10! I won't ask for anything else!" he said. However, I know Rory well enough that he would ask for something else literally 10 minutes later.

And of course... when I said no...

He knows that I love him and have a lot of saved up money with me! So there was a lot of sucking up to me on his part all through our trip. But it WAS cute!

We said goodbye!

Passed through Morocco...

Japan...

It was so beautiful!

Me and Rory have just been editing some photos. He insists I put up the one he made... which he thinks is very cool! (He's so sweet!)

And then we got to the AMERICA Pavillion! It looks awesome!

We didn't get to look around any of these countries, sadly. It was so hot anyway! We stopped for a short time in America though, although I can't remember why. We sat and watched the marching band guys.

Thanks for reading! Sorry about the lack of updates!

Coming up: More Epcot, Planet Hollywood and EMHs at Epcot!

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #167
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

I always love seeing pictures of the World Showcase! And I really like all your embellishments.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #168
partyof2
Colette

I LOVE this trip report.

I really need to stop reading them on empty stomachs though because all the food pictures are killing me. Out of everywhere you've eaten I think I'd like to try the Grand Flordian Cafe the most, I'm a girl of simple tastes.

How did you find eating as a Vegetarian in Disney? Was there plenty of options or did you find yourself eating the same sort of thing over and over? When did you become a Vegetarian and what do you normally eat at home? Sorry for so many questions, I am super nosy.
Visit #2 >> Nov 2013 - POR
Visit #3 >> Nov 2014 - Pop
Visit #4 >> Oct 2015 - We're getting married!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #169
fromscratchmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
Awww- it's adorable! I thought all poodles were quite big- similar to the size of my labrador. We have met a few poodles on walks and they look a lot bigger than yours. Does your dog get on with other dogs? My dog is way too friendly... and he reminds me of Marley from 'Marley and Me'.

That sounds great! I would love to go in December. You must have had a great trip! What was the weather like? Living in a country where you can't get a nice, warm summer... my parents would probably want to go at a warmer time. I was thinking of going at the end of October for nearly three weeks so we catch some of the decorations at WDW. Although sadly that doesn't look possible at the moment. Maybe we could go some place else on the East coast... But during summer of course.

Oh, that's good. Just checked out the bear album. It looks like a pretty good experience! How close did you get to them? I have heard they are very violent... I couldn't go very near one. But then again I have never had that opportunity before. You're very lucky! Was that in Ohio or on holiday somewhere?

Yeah... I agree! Sometimes looking at other peoples photos is very interesting. I didn't know you could actually do that on Photobucket- but now I know it's great!
Poodles actually come in different sizes according to the Kennel Clubs, toy, miniature and standard. The standards are the big ones. I've never owned one of the big ones, but I'm sure they are awesome.

The weather when we did our December trip was awesome. It stayed in the 70s and was never too hot nor too cold once you got to 9 or 10 in the morning. In fact the temps didn't even drop much at night every night. A couple of the nights we were there. One night my Gwyneth and I both happened to wake up in the middle of the night and we went out and explored the resort grounds in the wee hours while everyone else slept; it was warm and humid at 2 in the morning! But I know that it can be unpredictable and it is possible for central Florida to have cooler winter temps in Dec, not every year, but how are you going to predict it on any given year? In December of 1989, while I was living in the Tampa area there was an actual ice storm with freezing temps, but that is not common for that area.

The bears are at my Dad's house. He lives in a community on a mountain that is a nature preserve. It's in north Georgia. Most of those pics I took standing 10 to 15 feet from the bears, but I was up on a deck so they would have had to climb or go around a good distance to get to me. I have been that close to them on ground level but I don't stay that way on purpose, I'm sure it is not safe. Also when I was on the deck I was in a good position to get inside the house really quickly if they looked like they wanted to start climbing or otherwise coming towards me.

My dad got chased by a bear while he was out hiking once. He had a sandwich he was eating while he walked and he had to throw it down and run. Of course that worked because the bear stopped to eat the sandwich.

My dad is a little bit nutty about not being afraid of stuff that all us sane people are afraid of. I know he just runs the bears off when he wants to use his grill. He taught me a bit about how to handle that kind of situation and would you believe it actually came in handy the next week. I had gone to see my dad just before going on a campout in TN with a bunch of homeschooler. And there were bears in the park. The rangers warned our whole group that there had been some sitings of bears getting closer to campers than they usually do. And sure enough when I was walking from my cabin up to the dining hall by myself at 5 in the morning to help get the group breakfast ready I almost ran smack into a bear that was trying to make a mess of a broken open trash bag. You are not supposed to leave trash in a trash can overnight in bear country, but someone who didn't know made a mistake. So just once, I have run off a bear as well.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #170
fromscratchmom
DIS Veteran

OK, these links are here because of the volcanic ash Christmas ornaments we were talking about. AND because it bugs me the way photobucket display links put in the comments section.

You were right it blew the side of the mountain. I never thought about that angle on it before, but that was pretty significant scientifically and historically that they got to see the situation and knew it was likely to blow and then there was, probably for the first time, video footage of the first blast of a newly formed volcano!

short eruption vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgRnV...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=bgRnVhbfIKQ

another eruption vid with some commentary from a man who fled and lived:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBm9k...eature=related

This is a good one. It is documentary style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP2dreOI8gI

This one is stills set to music and gives God the glory. The person who put it together said that it was the "most devasting" volcano, but it seems to me Vesuvius has it beat by a long shot for infamy and for lives lost. That is just wild that it has been an active volcano since what was it 69 A.D.? maybe 79? And I know it has gone off during the last century. I guess that must have been only a smaller blast. Can you imagine with how many people live close to it in that area, what the death toll would be if it had another major blast?! And what must that be like getting homeowners insurance when you live close to an active volcano?! Anywho... This video is very impressive visually and it has one of the coolest shots I've seen of Mt. St. Helens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwLYF...eature=related
Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #171
WDWRids
Ready to go back!!

Hi, Megan!! Catching up on your TR. Great photos!! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, thanks so much for asking!! Mostly we eat the same foods you eat at Christmas (turkey, ham, dressing, etc) and watch LOTS and LOTS of football!! Then we have Black Friday - this is when all the sales and deals traditionally start for Christmas gifts. Most places now open at Midnight or even late in the evening on Thanksgiving. DH and I got out at 10 pm on Thanksgiving and shopped until 5 am on Friday!!! Then we crashed in bed and slept a few hours and right back at it. All our gifts were bought. Kindof crazy but so much fun. So, what are you asking for Christmas? Has your family started decorating yet? We will start this weekend. Take care!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #172
MrsSparrow..
DIS Veteran

Hi there, I just started reading your trippie! Excellent - can't wait for another update.

I'm from Essex too! : and like you, I have always been the planner in my family. When I was your age, I used to edit photos like that too! I probably got really into theme parks in general when I was about 13/14 and now I am a proper enthusiast. Your passion will never go - trust me. My family always thought I would eventually get 'over' Disney, but here I am nearly 19 and will be working at Disney next summer!

My parents love it, but not as quite as much as me, they love Vegas a little more! Your oldest brother sounds a lot like mine - he finds Disney boring. He prefers Universal parks and Busch (My favourite park is a Universal one but shh, don't tell Disney not by much though!) He would always moan about everything at Disney, particularly in Magic Kingdom. We went this year, but as he is now 17 he stayed behind and thought that V-Festival sounded much more exciting (I don't think so!!). I have my 8 year old step-sister though so I use her as my excuse of getting really involved with all the character greets etc

Just thought I'd say hi and look forward to your next update! I will say though that on your next trip, consider Universal, Seaworld and Busch. You will love them! Generally the Brits I have spoken to (all also Disney lovers) prefer the Universal/Busch parks, the humour there is much more 'British style'. If you ever go to these parks during August, you would think you were in Britain. SeaWorld also is filled with Brits! They each have their own kind of magic and you should try them at least once

Jealous that you stayed on-site though! Me and my family stay off-site in villas and eat outside of the parks. It works out way cheaper and then we can justify the returning year after year. However I know some people would much rather go every other/every 3 years and stay on-site with the DDP.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #173
meggiebeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
I always love seeing pictures of the World Showcase! And I really like all your embellishments.
Hello! Thanks! It's quite fun adding things to photos. Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof2 View Post
I LOVE this trip report.

I really need to stop reading them on empty stomachs though because all the food pictures are killing me. Out of everywhere you've eaten I think I'd like to try the Grand Flordian Cafe the most, I'm a girl of simple tastes.

How did you find eating as a Vegetarian in Disney? Was there plenty of options or did you find yourself eating the same sort of thing over and over? When did you become a Vegetarian and what do you normally eat at home? Sorry for so many questions, I am super nosy.
Thanks for joining in!

LOL! Before we went on this trip, I was reading all the dining reports here on the Dis. They certainly made me hungry too. You should definately try the Grand Floridian Cafe- it is great. I was worried originally because I don't think there were any vegetarian entrees on the menu. But it was the only place where the chef came out and said he'd cook anything for me.

I found eating at TS restaurants as a vegetarian great. Most of the restaurants served different dishes- even if something wasn't on the menu- they always had a couple of vegetarian options. There weren't very many options at each restaurant, but they were delicious in most places. There were lots of different pasta dishes at different restaurants, but if I didn't like any of the veggie options on the menu, I would ask what else they could cook. The only places I really struggled were the Rose and Crown and 'Ohana. I tried the vegetarian sheperd's pie at the R&C and it was disgusting. So then I started tucking into my dad's mashed potato until I realised it had bacon in it. Of all meat- I dislike bacon the most. At 'Ohana there was only one vegetarian option and I didn't like it- a rice and tofu dish of some sort. That was my first taste of tofu and it was disgusting!

I started disliking some meats probably about 5 years ago. Then I gradually stopped eating it. It was about 2 & 1/2 years ago that I stopped eating meat full stop. I eat a lot of quorn- which is a meat alternative like tofu but it's meant to look and taste like meat. I also eat lots of cheese and milk, and of course lentils.

Are you a vegetarian? Sometimes I don't stick to it very well. I can eat sweets with gelatin in them and some meats (the smells are irresistable!)

Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromscratchmom View Post
Poodles actually come in different sizes according to the Kennel Clubs, toy, miniature and standard. The standards are the big ones. I've never owned one of the big ones, but I'm sure they are awesome.

The weather when we did our December trip was awesome. It stayed in the 70s and was never too hot nor too cold once you got to 9 or 10 in the morning. In fact the temps didn't even drop much at night every night. A couple of the nights we were there. One night my Gwyneth and I both happened to wake up in the middle of the night and we went out and explored the resort grounds in the wee hours while everyone else slept; it was warm and humid at 2 in the morning! But I know that it can be unpredictable and it is possible for central Florida to have cooler winter temps in Dec, not every year, but how are you going to predict it on any given year? In December of 1989, while I was living in the Tampa area there was an actual ice storm with freezing temps, but that is not common for that area.

The bears are at my Dad's house. He lives in a community on a mountain that is a nature preserve. It's in north Georgia. Most of those pics I took standing 10 to 15 feet from the bears, but I was up on a deck so they would have had to climb or go around a good distance to get to me. I have been that close to them on ground level but I don't stay that way on purpose, I'm sure it is not safe. Also when I was on the deck I was in a good position to get inside the house really quickly if they looked like they wanted to start climbing or otherwise coming towards me.

My dad got chased by a bear while he was out hiking once. He had a sandwich he was eating while he walked and he had to throw it down and run. Of course that worked because the bear stopped to eat the sandwich.

My dad is a little bit nutty about not being afraid of stuff that all us sane people are afraid of. I know he just runs the bears off when he wants to use his grill. He taught me a bit about how to handle that kind of situation and would you believe it actually came in handy the next week. I had gone to see my dad just before going on a campout in TN with a bunch of homeschooler. And there were bears in the park. The rangers warned our whole group that there had been some sitings of bears getting closer to campers than they usually do. And sure enough when I was walking from my cabin up to the dining hall by myself at 5 in the morning to help get the group breakfast ready I almost ran smack into a bear that was trying to make a mess of a broken open trash bag. You are not supposed to leave trash in a trash can overnight in bear country, but someone who didn't know made a mistake. So just once, I have run off a bear as well.
I've seen normal poodles but I think yours is far cuter. When we took my dog for dog training, there was a labradoodle, which was really weird because it was like a labrador with curly hair!

December sounds amazing! As long as it's warmish, I would love to go at that time of year! We're at freezing temperatures at the moment so I would gladly pack up and go somewhere warmer! I'd love to explore a resort in the middle of the night. Which hotel did you stay at? I'm always interested in things like this for some reason... We're still trying hard to afford WDW next year, but the 45% off deal we got on SSR this year has just ended. So either it comes back, or we'll have to downgrade to a moderate. I looked up the moderates and they look really nice! Especially CSR and POR. I can't believe it's reached freezing temps! Tampa is about an hour away from Orlando, right? I wouldn't like to visit WDW if it was that cold.

Wow! I didn't know your dad lived in a nature preserve on a mountain! That must be a great place to live. Are bears really unsafe? I know polar bears are very vicious but I don't know much about bears. I don't think I've ever seen one in real life- you're so lucky being so close to them. Okay, lol, by the way you're writing I get the impression they are unsafe. Would they attack without a reason? I would just love to watch them from a platform, seeing as nothing like that has ever happened to me. Infact I don't think there are any bears living in England at all- unless they're in a zoo. I don't really like visiting zoos because I find it really sad- unless the animals aren't in tiny cages.

Was your dad scared? I would be! Was the bear after him or the sandwich? Do you have any other awesome animals in the US? All ours are... a bit lame. Lol.

How do you run off a bear? Surely it would just chase you and try and kill you? I'd have been terrified if I was camping and almost ran into a bear! Maybe they're more interested in trash bags than humans. I don't think, even if there were bears here, we'd be allowed to camp near them. Weren't you just really scared that one would attack you while you were sleeping? It's ironic that the most famous stuffed animal is the teddy bear and yet they don't seem as 'cuddly' as that in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromscratchmom View Post
OK, these links are here because of the volcanic ash Christmas ornaments we were talking about. AND because it bugs me the way photobucket display links put in the comments section.

You were right it blew the side of the mountain. I never thought about that angle on it before, but that was pretty significant scientifically and historically that they got to see the situation and knew it was likely to blow and then there was, probably for the first time, video footage of the first blast of a newly formed volcano!

short eruption vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgRnV...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=bgRnVhbfIKQ

another eruption vid with some commentary from a man who fled and lived:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBm9k...eature=related

This is a good one. It is documentary style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP2dreOI8gI

This one is stills set to music and gives God the glory. The person who put it together said that it was the "most devasting" volcano, but it seems to me Vesuvius has it beat by a long shot for infamy and for lives lost. That is just wild that it has been an active volcano since what was it 69 A.D.? maybe 79? And I know it has gone off during the last century. I guess that must have been only a smaller blast. Can you imagine with how many people live close to it in that area, what the death toll would be if it had another major blast?! And what must that be like getting homeowners insurance when you live close to an active volcano?! Anywho... This video is very impressive visually and it has one of the coolest shots I've seen of Mt. St. Helens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwLYF...eature=related
Thanks for the links to the videos! I like the one where the guy escaped, and the documentary style one. But the first one is awesome too because it shows what the eruption really did to the volcano. It's amazing how powerful nature can be, and we could never stop an eruption like that! Like the Japan Earthquake and Tsunami, and the Haiti one. I seem to remember my teacher saying no one expected Mt St Helens to have an eruption the size it did. The videos look pretty scary, but still, I love how amazing nature can be, and how powerful, even if it is destructive. I think Mt Vesuvius was pretty devastating, but did any of the residents of Pompeii or Herculanium actually know what a volcano was? At least people living near Mt St Helens knew the risks, Pompeiians probably had no idea what was going on. But I think the cool thing about that eruption is that so many things have been preserved- frozen in time. Isn't there a volcano in that National Park in the US that is a 'super volcano' and could apparently split the country in half when it errupts? Sorry, I've forgotten the name of it, lol. Apparently it blows every 100,000 years (I think?) and it last erupted about 100,000 years ago. Does that mean it could go off any minute? Me neither, and I wouldn't want to live near a volcano... I'd just be worrying the whole time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRids View Post
Hi, Megan!! Catching up on your TR. Great photos!! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, thanks so much for asking!! Mostly we eat the same foods you eat at Christmas (turkey, ham, dressing, etc) and watch LOTS and LOTS of football!! Then we have Black Friday - this is when all the sales and deals traditionally start for Christmas gifts. Most places now open at Midnight or even late in the evening on Thanksgiving. DH and I got out at 10 pm on Thanksgiving and shopped until 5 am on Friday!!! Then we crashed in bed and slept a few hours and right back at it. All our gifts were bought. Kindof crazy but so much fun. So, what are you asking for Christmas? Has your family started decorating yet? We will start this weekend. Take care!!!
Hi there! Nice to hear from you again!

Wow- your thanksgiving sounds fantastic! So you have mostly the same food at Christmas and Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving seems like such a fun holiday! That's so cool about Black Friday- and leaving late on Thanksgiving night to get some bargains! I didn't know you could leave that early! So your DH likes shopping? My dad and brothers hate it. All the Christmas shopping is done by me and my mum.

Me and my mum went Xmas shopping last week when all of the teachers and healthcare workers were on strike, so I got a day off school! We bought me a warm woolly jumper, which is one of my presents, but I wish I had it now seeing as it's so chilly! I'm also asking for some arty stuff. What are you asking your family for? Have you started decorating yet? We put our tree up this week and now I feel really festive! I can't wait for Christmas!

Hope you had a good weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSparrow.. View Post
Hi there, I just started reading your trippie! Excellent - can't wait for another update.

I'm from Essex too! : and like you, I have always been the planner in my family. When I was your age, I used to edit photos like that too! I probably got really into theme parks in general when I was about 13/14 and now I am a proper enthusiast. Your passion will never go - trust me. My family always thought I would eventually get 'over' Disney, but here I am nearly 19 and will be working at Disney next summer!

My parents love it, but not as quite as much as me, they love Vegas a little more! Your oldest brother sounds a lot like mine - he finds Disney boring. He prefers Universal parks and Busch (My favourite park is a Universal one but shh, don't tell Disney not by much though!) He would always moan about everything at Disney, particularly in Magic Kingdom. We went this year, but as he is now 17 he stayed behind and thought that V-Festival sounded much more exciting (I don't think so!!). I have my 8 year old step-sister though so I use her as my excuse of getting really involved with all the character greets etc

Just thought I'd say hi and look forward to your next update! I will say though that on your next trip, consider Universal, Seaworld and Busch. You will love them! Generally the Brits I have spoken to (all also Disney lovers) prefer the Universal/Busch parks, the humour there is much more 'British style'. If you ever go to these parks during August, you would think you were in Britain. SeaWorld also is filled with Brits! They each have their own kind of magic and you should try them at least once

Jealous that you stayed on-site though! Me and my family stay off-site in villas and eat outside of the parks. It works out way cheaper and then we can justify the returning year after year. However I know some people would much rather go every other/every 3 years and stay on-site with the DDP.
Hello there! Welcome and thanks for reading!

Nice to see someone from Essex! Who knows, we may be nextdoor neighbours! It is great to hear someone else loved Disney at my age and has never grown out of it. My parents don't think that's possible for some reason! Have you left school yet, or are you in upper sixth? What are you going to do when you work at Disney? Are you gonna be a waitress or work in a shop or something?

Wow- you've been to Vegas? My parents say they've never been that inspired to go, but then again, they have never been inspired to go to WDW and look at how much they loved that! My brother moaned the most at MK too, but that was the best park! I loved all of the performances there. I can't believe your brother stayed behind because of the V Festival! Maybe I'm just not a festival person, but I would far rather go to Florida than stay behind for a festival. You're lucky having a younger sister- I have pretty much always wanted one but I guess I got out of luck!

We actually did go to SeaWorld but not Universal or Busch Gardens. We got tickets for free with our Discovery Cove passes. I wish we'd have tried Busch Gardens because we actually were disappointed with Seaworld. It seemed run down in comparison with the Disney parks, and the animals were in tiny enclosures. What is Universal like? We have friends that have been there and say it is amazing. We probably should have tried it but it wasn't in the budget after what we'd spent on DC. I have heard our sense of humour is very different to the American sense of humour, but I'm not sure why. When we were at Discovery Cove, it was probably 90% Brits- I felt like I was back in England!

You should honestly stay onsite! It is so much better! We stayed at SSR at a 45% off deal and with the free dining plan- it actually turned out cheaper than staying in a villa offsite! It's so magical, and I can honestly say it made the holiday 10 times better! We stayed offsite the second week and it just didn't feel the same. Next time we are thinking about staying offsite first and then onsite afterwards.

Thanks for reading! It's really nice to have you onboard!

~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,

Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #174
meggiebeth

Epcot, Planet Hollywood, DTD and EMHs @ Epcot!

Hello to all and Happy December! Letís get started:

When we were leaving the America Pavillion, we bumped into this:

It was awesome- and really entertaining! I would love to spend more time in this PavillionÖ especially at Christmas.

We had seen the park bring out the Illuminations equipment onto the lake our last day at Epcot. My parents wanted to see it again. They wanted to see the globe, but it didnít come out this time. We headed back to SSR for a rest and changed, ready for our dinner ADR at Planet Hollywood.

Dinner at Planet Hollywood- 8pm

We had a 20 minute wait to get into the restaurant. Rory and I looked in the outside souvenir shop, but it was very adult oriented. When our table was ready, we were on the ground floor in the middle of the restaurant. It was very busy and all the tables were quite close to each other.

The food was nice, although not up in the same league as the Disney restaurants. It was very much an 'adult' atmosphere, with lots of movies I'd never heard of. We were quite near Dorothy's dress from the Wizard of Oz, which I thought was pretty cool.

Rory spilt his coke in his meal and then told the waiter he didn't want another meal. The waiter nicely took his meal off the bill, although it didn't really matter because we were on the DDP. This is a restaurant we have always wanted to try in London, but the queues are CRAZY and so are the prices. So it was fabulous trying it in Florida- not having to queue or anything! I don't think they accept reservations in the Planet Hollywood in London... maybe they want to make it seem more exclusive by making people queue up!

My dad really liked this place for the atmosphere. He, myself, Willum and Rors had a look around the higher floors. My dad knew a lot of the movies featured in the displays, but me and Willum didn't, Rory definately didn't. One guy in a display case terrified little Rorsie and he refused to look at anything else.

I got bored and went down to the table, and sat there so my mum could go and have a look. They didn't return for ages- so I paid for them! With one of my parents KTTW cards.

I definately think you should try this place, especially if you like movies, memorabillia and alcohol! Lol. It is family friendly, but it isn't- I can't really explain it. It is far more aimed at adults. And the clubs are really near the restaurant too- away from the 'Disney' part of DTD.

Here are some of the photos we took-

I did take some photos of the whole restaurant... but they mysteriously disappeared... hmmmm...

Anyway, after that, we headed to the Lego Store in DTD. Willum and Rorsie really like Lego, so this was a must. We were in a rush to get back to Epcot for EMHs though, and it was 9:30pm anyway. If we could get there for 10pm, we'd still get a lot of ride time.

I can't remember if we bought anything though. I know we came back from the trip with Lego, but I'm not sure if we bought it then.

I loved the figures and Lego models. We didn't get photos of all of them though. Here's another one...

It was pretty busy, considering how late it was. Well... it is WDW, I realised! DTD must get busier at night-time!

We got lost on the way to Epcot, went out of WDW, had no idea how to get in again, then found ourselves at the Alamo Car Centre, I think it was, then managed, after some panicking, moaning (on my part, of course, that we'd miss the EMHs) to finally arrive at Epcot.

EMHs at Epcot

Future World and all the rides were SO busy. The waits were about as long for the rides as normal park hours! I was shocked, seeing as MK EMHs were amazing and quiet. I had just assumed Epcot would be the same. Me, Rory and my mum went to World Showcase and my dad and William stayed in Future World to ride some rides. I think they'd managed to ride one ride by the time we got back.

I thought WS would be open and buzzing just like Future World. It was completely desserted. I was so disappointed, this was my last day in Epcot, and I wanted to go shopping in WS! My mum promised to take me later in the holiday, but I decided I didn't mind if we didn't go back.

Rory was fast asleep but we rode Maelstrom. It was open, but we were the only ones on the ride. The CM looked pretty bored. I don't know WHY World Showcase was empty when it had some rides in it... which were really busy during the day. When we were riding Maelstrom, we were franticly trying to wake up poor Rory, but he was fast asleep. I was like 'Errr... is he going to fall out the boad at the drop or something?' I can't believe we rode that ride and he didn't wake up one little bit.

I didn't know all the shops closed for EMHs. I thought they would still be open. I wanted to ride the boat ride in Mexico but Mummy didn't want to. We were tired, and the EMHs didn't work out the way we wanted them to.

We met up with Willum and Daddy and went home. Bye bye Epcot... for the last time... (this holiday, at least!)

The car park was pretty empty. Surprising seeing as all the rides had such long waits for EMHs. I wasn't that sad because I thought we'd be returning to Epcot, but... goodbye Epcot... until next time...

Thanks for reading! Hope you all had a great weekend!

Next Update- Animal Kingdom and Tusker House!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #175
MrsSparrow..
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
Hello there! Welcome and thanks for reading!

Nice to see someone from Essex! Who knows, we may be nextdoor neighbours! It is great to hear someone else loved Disney at my age and has never grown out of it. My parents don't think that's possible for some reason! Have you left school yet, or are you in upper sixth? What are you going to do when you work at Disney? Are you gonna be a waitress or work in a shop or something?

Wow- you've been to Vegas? My parents say they've never been that inspired to go, but then again, they have never been inspired to go to WDW and look at how much they loved that! My brother moaned the most at MK too, but that was the best park! I loved all of the performances there. I can't believe your brother stayed behind because of the V Festival! Maybe I'm just not a festival person, but I would far rather go to Florida than stay behind for a festival. You're lucky having a younger sister- I have pretty much always wanted one but I guess I got out of luck!

We actually did go to SeaWorld but not Universal or Busch Gardens. We got tickets for free with our Discovery Cove passes. I wish we'd have tried Busch Gardens because we actually were disappointed with Seaworld. It seemed run down in comparison with the Disney parks, and the animals were in tiny enclosures. What is Universal like? We have friends that have been there and say it is amazing. We probably should have tried it but it wasn't in the budget after what we'd spent on DC. I have heard our sense of humour is very different to the American sense of humour, but I'm not sure why. When we were at Discovery Cove, it was probably 90% Brits- I felt like I was back in England!

You should honestly stay onsite! It is so much better! We stayed at SSR at a 45% off deal and with the free dining plan- it actually turned out cheaper than staying in a villa offsite! It's so magical, and I can honestly say it made the holiday 10 times better! We stayed offsite the second week and it just didn't feel the same. Next time we are thinking about staying offsite first and then onsite afterwards.

Thanks for reading! It's really nice to have you onboard!
Indeed we may well be! Haha, it definitely is I have left yep, I'm in my first year at Uni, so *technically* my location should say Nottingham, but I'm back in good ole Essex for a month in 10 days. And I will be working in merchandise, so in a shop! I have never been so excited to work in retail in my life!

I haven't unfortunately! As an under 21, it would hold my parents back from doing what they enjoy. But they've been a few times and love it, it is like Disneyworld for adults aha! Likewise - I would never pick a festival over Florida. I'm not much of a festival person, I've been to a few gigs but for the most part they are overrated. Would much rather go visit a theme park, but I am a secret nerd

Universal is amazing. It seems to have a bit of a negative vibe here on the DIS but that is because a lot of posters are really loyal Disney fans. It is different to Disney, much more 'tongue-in-cheek' humour and the new Harry Potter island at Islands of Adventure is jaw-dropping!

Haha, yep the Busch parks are full of British! They do quite a lot of advertising in the UK which may be why. Busch Gardens is great, however, if you don't like coasters and don't love animals, I'd say give it a miss.

My family will probably stay on-site next year when they visit me because I will be able to get them a sizeable discount. Typically the year I can't actually stay with them! Have you got any plans to return back soon?

Great update! I will say Planet Hollywood in London isn't worth it. They do take reservations but it's a totally different vibe from in Orlando. The food is way overpriced and it just looks and feels like a pretty average restaurant. Stick with Orlando
Old 12-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #176
meggiebeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSparrow.. View Post
Indeed we may well be! Haha, it definitely is I have left yep, I'm in my first year at Uni, so *technically* my location should say Nottingham, but I'm back in good ole Essex for a month in 10 days. And I will be working in merchandise, so in a shop! I have never been so excited to work in retail in my life!

I haven't unfortunately! As an under 21, it would hold my parents back from doing what they enjoy. But they've been a few times and love it, it is like Disneyworld for adults aha! Likewise - I would never pick a festival over Florida. I'm not much of a festival person, I've been to a few gigs but for the most part they are overrated. Would much rather go visit a theme park, but I am a secret nerd

Universal is amazing. It seems to have a bit of a negative vibe here on the DIS but that is because a lot of posters are really loyal Disney fans. It is different to Disney, much more 'tongue-in-cheek' humour and the new Harry Potter island at Islands of Adventure is jaw-dropping!

Haha, yep the Busch parks are full of British! They do quite a lot of advertising in the UK which may be why. Busch Gardens is great, however, if you don't like coasters and don't love animals, I'd say give it a miss.

My family will probably stay on-site next year when they visit me because I will be able to get them a sizeable discount. Typically the year I can't actually stay with them! Have you got any plans to return back soon?

Great update! I will say Planet Hollywood in London isn't worth it. They do take reservations but it's a totally different vibe from in Orlando. The food is way overpriced and it just looks and feels like a pretty average restaurant. Stick with Orlando
That's good you're coming home for Christmas! We broke up from school today so I'm finally feeling really Christmassy! Do you know what shop you're working in? I'd like to work in the Main Street Emporium, or maybe a waitress in a restaurant.

Oh yeah, I forgot you have to be 21 to drink in the US. Maybe it's just because I'm fifteen, but I've never really wanted to go to Las Vegas, although the hotels do look pretty amazing. Still, I wouldn't say no to a trip to America! I've heard Vegas is all gambling, alcohol and casinos... but you're not far from Disneyland California and Six Flags! My friend is crazy about festivals and every year goes to Latitude- have you heard of it? She posted pictures and it looked really horrible though. Latitude is probably similar to the V Festival- she goes on about that too.

I would love to go to Universal Studios- and the Harry Potter extension does look amazing. I'm guessing you've seen it? We've never been Harry Potter fans- infact I don't think I've even seen any of the movies. But it would be impressing to anyone I think. Are there shows like there are at Disney? I think my dad and brother would be impressed with Universal with all the movie themed rides. William hated all the 'Disney' stuff in the parks so I think he'd love Universal.

We'll probably try Busch Gardens next time then. We like animals- most of them anyway! But I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to big rides- I managed all the Disney ones apart from Tower of Terror which I hated. I wimped out of Kraken and Manta at Seaworld- they were way too scary for me lol.

I didn't know CMs got a big discount! What resort are your family hoping to stay at? If it were me, the Grand Floridian- but that's way too expensive and I've never gotten a discount for it lol.

We want to come back next October/November- it looks like such a nice time of year. It looks 'unlikely' at the moment but I'm determined we go. It's pretty much all down to whether my dad gets bonus and if my mum gets enough money from private patients. We really want to stat onsite of course!

That's such a shame- I looked up the reviews on Trip Advisor and they're pretty awful. I wouldn't pay those prices for burgers and chips anyway lol. The Orlando one was nice- but we didn't eat in one restaurant in Florida with bad service- everyone was so lovely! We ate in Ask a few days after getting back to England and it was so depressing seeing the change in service.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #177
WDWRids
Ready to go back!!

Hello!!! Catching up and loving your pics from DTD. We would go several times and mostly at night. I think you are right - it gets busier the later in the day/night. Ready for Christmas? I think I am. Got all my shopping done - now need to wrap the presents. We are really excited this year that we have a new baby in the family (my great nephew) My niece is not that much younger than us so I get to enjoy the next generation while I am still young and can play with him. Going to really be nice when the family all gets together.

What does your family do on Christmas day? We gather at my Mom's Christmas morning for breakfast and open presents. Then more family comes and more presents then we have lunch. Late afternoon we leave and go across town to my in-laws for Christmas gathering. A great day!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #178
meggiebeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRids View Post
Hello!!! Catching up and loving your pics from DTD. We would go several times and mostly at night. I think you are right - it gets busier the later in the day/night. Ready for Christmas? I think I am. Got all my shopping done - now need to wrap the presents. We are really excited this year that we have a new baby in the family (my great nephew) My niece is not that much younger than us so I get to enjoy the next generation while I am still young and can play with him. Going to really be nice when the family all gets together.

What does your family do on Christmas day? We gather at my Mom's Christmas morning for breakfast and open presents. Then more family comes and more presents then we have lunch. Late afternoon we leave and go across town to my in-laws for Christmas gathering. A great day!!!
Hallo there! You're lucky going to DTD several times. My parents didn't like it as much as me- so I missed out on browsing thru the shops. We were ready for Christmas quite early this year... all the presents bought and wrapped in early December. Normally we do last minute shopping which can be pretty chaotic! Did you have a good time with your family, and meeting your great nephew? We have a new cousin, a girl, which is great because my aunt has been trying for a girl for quite a while. (The baby has 3 older brothers!) That's a nice idea you opening presents at your mum's house. We always open ours at home before meeting up with family. William and Rory are so impatient waiting to open their presents!

We do different things each Christmas- well we meet up with different people actually. This year we went up to Scotland to stay with my grandmother. It was very nice- we haven't done it in 9 years. We also saw our aunts, uncles and cousins that live up in Scotland- which was a treat. William had spent the whole of December looking at his presents and shaking them. He had it all sussed out what he was getting after a week.

Your Xmas day sounds like great fun! Do you do the same every Christmas? We ought to try that sometime- but we don't live close to much of our family. Do your family, your in-laws and you live pretty close to one another? That's awesome- our family is scattered across the country.

My, I'm sad Christmas is over. It was a memorable one though- and back to work and school now! Sorry I took so long to reply. The festive season does get you busy!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #179
meggiebeth

Animal Kingdom- Breakfast at Tusker House

Hello and welcome back. I'm sorry I haven't updated my TR in quite a while, the festive season does leave you busy. I hope everyone had a good Christmas. After coming back from Scotland and my parents saying it's unlikely we'll get back to Disney this year, I'm feeling rather depressed. I can't bear to wait two years until our next trip!

Anyway, back to the TR. We slept in late after getting back from Epcot at about midnight the night before. We were running quite late for our ADR at Tusker house, and got there at about 11am I think.

We liked this breakfast buffet, of course, but it didn't stand out to us. Of course I loaded my plate up with Mickey waffles. Rory traded his Chip and Dale pin he got from the waitress at Mama Melrose's with the waiter at Tusker House, for a monorail pin. He said he'd lost a pin earlier in the trip and the kind man gave him another one!

Here are some photos:

Sorry it's a short update- but I hope to post again soon. And ahhhh- what do we see in the next installment? Only one of our favourite rides in the whole trip?!

DUH DUH DUH! (Dramatic music.)

I loved riding the rides for the first time. I'm a bit of a wimp so was terrified of EE, as well as SM in MK and RnR in DHS. OH and ToT... now that was just...

Old 01-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #180
Maikel1983
Earning My Ears

Nice tripreport, unfortunately we didn't saw ourselve on the pictures

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: