Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Please turn off your digital camera screens

One thing we found particularly annoying on our recent visit was people using their cameras in dark rides and shows (where non-flash photography IS permitted). With old film cameras, it wasn't an issue but now that virtually everyone is using digital, the cameras all have an LCD view screen, sometimes a few inches across, that stays on while the camera is in use. You may not think about it, but the folks seated to your sides and behind you don't really want that light shining in their faces throughout the ride or show. It is even worse than folks texting at the movies since here they are holding the cameras up at eye level instead of down in their laps.

So please, as a service to everyone else, take a moment to turn off the monitor. Most cameras allow you to do so for just that reason. If your camera doesn't have that feature (check the manual to be sure), get something to cover up the screen when shooting in dark places. Your neighbors will thank you.

One of the big downsides to the new technology.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I totally agree with this. But I think you're going to have a hard time getting people to abide by this, since so many digital cameras these days do not have a view finder, and people are not going to want to shoot "blind". It's definitely a downside of the technology!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I totally agree with this. But I think you're going to have a hard time getting people to abide by this, since so many digital cameras these days do not have a view finder, and people are not going to want to shoot "blind". It's definitely a downside of the technology!

Sayhello
I know this will fall on deaf ears (except for those who agree with me) but it is definitely a problem. The camera companies really need to come up with some kind of solution for this. Maybe at least have a way to really turn down the brightness like I can on my iPhone. It is still annoying but not nearly as much as when the brightness is cranked up.

I'd hate for Disney to have to start banning photography of any kind (not that most guests would follow that rule anyway).
Old 08-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
disneydad78
DDC #106
More important its about having some FUN!
We just LOVE its a small world!!;)

your crazy, and I love it.
DISDADS member #106
(DD 16)(DS 12)(DS 8)(DW 32)(ME 35)
OffSite ('92) OffSite ('05) BonnetCreek ('07) BonnetCreek ('08) POR ('09) POR ('10) POR MVMCP ('11) POR MVMCP ('12) upcoming POR MNSSHP ('13)
disneydad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
I married a king
Earning My Ears

I didnt think you were allowed to take pictures or video on rides at Disney?
I married a king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by I married a king View Post
There are many rides and attractions where you can take regular, non-flash pictures or video with no additional lighting.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by I married a king View Post
Disney could really solve a lot of problems if they'd just make this a park-wide rule, but they won't for some reason.

There are some shows where videotaping is prohibited, possibly due to rights issues, but I don't know of any rides where videotaping is completely prohibited. There are some dark rides where video lighting and flash photography are prohibited (though using cameras without lighting is okay), but in my recent experience this prohibition is completely ignored. I really hate being the vigilante enforcer of these policies as a guest (I'm just as ignored as the CM's), so I wish Disney would do a little more to police this somehow, for the sake of the guests who are considerate to others and simply want to enjoy WDW.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
I wish Disney would do a little more to police this somehow, for the sake of the guests who are considerate to others and simply want to enjoy WDW.
Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people at Disney, or anywhere else for that matter, are considerate of anyone but themselves. Whether it is someone texting throughout a movie or blocking the supermarket aisle with their cart or making a left turn from the right lane on the road, common courtesy has become increasingly rare.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Michele
You're never too old to sit in a little chair and enjoy a Mickey Mouse cartoon
I am a scrapbook dummy

I really think it is just a matter of ignorance. And I don't mean to be cruel using that word, I mean it literally.

People are ignorant of the fact that turning that screen off or even turning down the brightness is possible.

That and like sayhello said, if they don't have a viewfinder too, there is no other way to see what they are taking a picture of.

I agree it is annoying but really hope there is never a ban on photos because plenty of people know exactly how to use their cameras and have the manners and knowhow to use them appropriately.
May 2010 Off-site *~* Dec 2013-DISAPALOOZA! *~* May 2014 Yacht Club

Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I agree it is annoying but really hope there is never a ban on photos because plenty of people know exactly how to use their cameras and have the manners and knowhow to use them appropriately.
I agree 100%. I do NOT want Disney to ban photography. I take loads of photos - well not so many any more unless something new opens - but I certainly understand people wanting to take pictures during their trip.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

It's annoying but I expect it. If I know it's a particularly dark ride, like POTC, I'll wait for the front seat.
Bonniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
txvjc
DIS Veteran

whew...I just thought that was a park peeve of mine....I also hate it during Wishes because the entire hub seems to be an ocean of lcd screens
------------------------------------------------------
1st Disney Cruise, 4 night Disney Wonder, June 2009
2nd Disney Cruise, 5 night Disney Dream, June 2011
txvjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
It's annoying but I expect it. If I know it's a particularly dark ride, like POTC, I'll wait for the front seat.
We got on a POTC boat last week where we seemed to be the only ones who comprehended what "no flash photography" meant. Every other group on our boat was blinding us repeatedly with their flashes. We were about ready to jump overboard and swim the rest of the way.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people at Disney, or anywhere else for that matter, are considerate of anyone but themselves. Whether it is someone texting throughout a movie or blocking the supermarket aisle with their cart or making a left turn from the right lane on the road, common courtesy has become increasingly rare.
This is the crux of the problem. People are more and more oblivious to those around them at Disney or anywhere else. (the shopping cart thing in particular drives me nuts)
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

This does annoy me too. I can't figure out if people don't care if they ruin the ride for someone else, or if they are just so excited that they don't even notice. If you want to try to video your ride I'm sure you want to make sure that you are actually getting something on the screen, and don't want to shoot blind. A rule being enforced would probably solve the problem, but I doubt it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: