Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #31
Renysmom
Just wondering what is going on
Something has to pay for my WDW trips LOL

For those in the direct path one of the things you can do that isn't talked about a lot is to fill all your bathtubs with water.

If the water supply in your area is compromised you can use this water to flush toilets and also to wash hands, face, etc.. This will let you save the bottled water for brushing teeth, drinking and cooking.

WDW Oct 2005--WDW Dec 2006-- WDW Dec 2007--WDW/Wonder Cruise Oct 2008--WDW March 2009--WDW July 2009--WDW Oct 2009 -- Magic Western Cruise Nov 2009--WDW Dec 2009--WDW Aug 2010--WDW/Wonder Cruise Dec 2010--WDW April 2011--WDW Aug 2011--WDW/Dream Oct 2011--WDW Dec 2011--WDW April 2012--Fantasy Eastern Oct 2012-- WDW May 2013 -- Fantasy Western Sept 2014
Renysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #32
auroralark
Lives for vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninecrayons View Post
Just read one of the articles about the NYC evacuation.

This is a totally accurate quote. Right now it's sunny and gorgeous outside. It's hard to imagine that a hurricane is due to hit.

This is all so weird.
I totally agree. Is is so weird. Here I am filling up plastic bags full of water to put in my freezer while the sunshine streams through my window.

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL
Our Princess arrived! 7/4/12
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #33
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
My parents are refusing to leave. They are under a voluntary evacuation as of right now, but my father said he is not leaving even if it becomes mandatory. Gotta love the added anxiety that brings me!
Did you remind him that ignoring mandatory evacuations they can come in and force them to leave? And that they can be brought up on charges? Plus, even if they don't force them to leave, mandatory evacuation areas will be getting little to no help in cases of emergency? That they are on their own until who knows when?

Not trying to make YOU feel worse Nikki... but maybe those points might help you talk your father into leaving.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #34
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
Did you remind him that ignoring mandatory evacuations they can come in and force them to leave? And that they can be brought up on charges? Plus, even if they don't force them to leave, mandatory evacuation areas will be getting little to no help in cases of emergency? That they are on their own until who knows when?

Not trying to make YOU feel worse Nikki... but maybe those points might help you talk your father into leaving.
I'm not sure this is the case in NJ. I could be naive here, but I know they were discussing this on the radio last night. Several people said that they couldn't force you out. Not sure...

Just heard that Laurence Harbor, Belmar, and parts of NYC are now being evacuated...

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #35
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I'm not sure this is the case in NJ. I could be naive here, but I know they were discussing this on the radio last night. Several people said that they couldn't force you out. Not sure...

Just heard that Laurence Harbor, Belmar, and parts of NYC are now being evacuated...
Pretty sure I just heard they are going door to door to make sure everyone leaves. I don't know if that is in your area, but they can do that... and they can deny emergency services to anyone in those areas. I would be more worried about that honestly.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #36
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Well, just got the parents to agree to a plan. My brother is helping out a bit.

More evacuations underway including a ton in NYC. Everyone doing okay? I just filled up Ziploc bags and threw them in the freezer.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #37
Dismom+two
Dh and I always refer to it as "The Almighty Boards"
Wanted: Warm fuzzy feelings
I am still walking...haven't dropped yet
Almost left the bookstore without her lapdance

Stay safe Nikki!!

I am in NH and will only be a tropical storm by the time it gets to us. The last thing I saw for us...wind gusts 30-40mph...piece of cake.
Dismom+two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #38
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Sorry this is too late for most of you to get a lot of stuff on the supply list but I just thought about it after hearing on the news a story about S. Floridians calling relatives in the NE to provide hints and tips for getting through the storm. For anyone interested, here is the Miami-Dade Hurricane preparedness guide: http://www.miamidade.gov/hurricane/l...cane_Guide.pdf. and Emergency Management Office consumer tips http://www.miamidade.gov/oem/consumer.asp. Most of the stuff like evacuation aren’t relevant but some of it might be useful. (Just to note we do not live in an evacuation zone so if anyone wants to come to Miami to ride out the storm, I’ll pick you up at the airport).

One of the ones I didn’t think of is filling baggies 3/4 full and stuffing them in the freezer. Once frozen, they keep the freezer cooler longer if you lose power. Plus when it starts to melt, you have cool drinking water.

Hope everyone stays safe and sound. Not to sound arrogant or as a know it all, and not that you need it, but anyone with questions can post here or PM me. Unfortunately, I have been there and done that.
cj9200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #39
tigger813
DIS Veteran

Still unsure of what impact the storm will have on us here in MA. We are prepared anyways.

First off, we have water in the fridges and extra ice made. We are going to fill our tub tomorrow just to be safe. We have eggs and bread and plenty to drink in the house. Bought a fresh bottle of vodka today!

My biggest concern is a tree falling on our house. It happened a few years ago when the remnants of Hurricane Hannah brought a tree crashing onto our house at 2 in the morning. I woke up screaming and the kids slept through it. DH just yelled that nothing hit the house. Any time it is windy I DO NOT SLEEP! We're going to have the girls sleep downstairs on the aerobed as the trees that we have are near their rooms! I'll just sleep better or maybe just not sleep at all.

DSi's are charging as well as DVD player and laptop will be charged. We have plenty of candles thanks to Yankee Candle. Guess we will probably play some board games if we lose power!

Stay safe everyone! We're thinking of you all!

Next trip: Easter at Disney April 17-23 (3 nights Kidani Savanna View, 3 nights Wilderness Lodge)
tigger813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #40
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Speaking of trees falling....it's very common here in FL for neighborhoods to have their trees inspected and thinned each year (every other year) in preparation for hurricane season.

Some things that we hear about each year...

If you are using candles as a light source, please use extreme caution. Invariably, someone's house burns down during the height of a hurricane when emergency crews cant get there.

Please stay off the roads for a while after the hurricane passes. Falling trees can and do take down power lines and every year we hear about someone being injured or killed in their car. In addition, people out looking at the damage done hinder emergency and rescue vehicles.

With hurricanes, you will hear about tornadoes. Hurricanes are scary, but we know about them a week in advance and we have time for preparations. Tornadoes happen with little or no warning. Know which area of your home is safest and have a flashlight (with fresh batteries) in that area. If you have a basement, that is usually the safest area. If not, an interior room without windows is safest. Often times, this is a bathroom. I'm pretty sure anyone from FL will tell you that they have spent time in their bathroom with a weather radio or a battery operated TV waiting for the threat to pass.

It's been said before but, make sure anything outside that can fly around is either brought inside or is tied down. It's a common thing in Florida for folks to throw their pool or patio furniture in the pool. It's safer under water than it is flying around.

During periods of high wind, stay inside. It may seem cool to go outside to take a look, but flying debris can be dangerous.

Baggies of frozen water have kept our stuff cold many times. It's cheap and easier to find than bags of ice when everyone is without power.

I realize that these things may seem like simple, common sense, but these are the stories we hear after every hurricane.

Stay safe. We're thinking about you.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #41
TheWho
DIS Veteran
preachin' from my chair

I'm going to do the frozen water in a bag trick. I'm ten minutes outside NYC and I can not watch the coverage anymore. It's supposed to hit here Saturday night around 8pm and the worst Sunday morning until early afternoon. We've had our share of snow storms in recent years but this feels different. Best of luck to everyone in her path.

I wish it was Sunday night already.

TheWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #42
Tinkershelly
DisneyWorld trip winner!
Holy moley, there are soooo many items!

And also remember that the whole east coast will be prone to rogue waves and storm surges for the next couple of days after the hurricane has gone. Please stay away from the shoreline until this passes! It's very cool to see the huge waves crashing but those waves repeatedly wash tourists out to sea with each storm.

Stay safe, everyone! I'll be sending good thoughts to you all.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #43
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

The statement about the sun being out is so true.

The night before Hurricane Ike

After

...and we live 70 miles from the coast. It was just as bad 70 miles north of us and 700 miles north of us in Kentucky and Ohio.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #44
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!

We're battened down here in NoVa - planning to stick to our errands run tomorrow (non-food and supplies, happily!) and then come home for the duration. I filled every water bottle we have, and we'll fill the tub tomorrow. I've checked in with my dad (NJ) and my mom (CT), and they're both as ready as they'll ever be. Good thing I checked out seven library books last week! Of course, if the power goes out, we won't have much time for reading with two little girls to entertain...

Stay safe, everyone!

XO
Liz

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #45
Aurora in blue
Mouseketeer

Good Luck and God Bless to all of you. Our prayers are with all of you. May you and all your loved ones be safe.
Aurora in blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, irene

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: