Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

It's funny you mention Isabelle. We were predicted to get Isabelle. The kids got a notice the day before that school would be closed. The next day it was bright sunshine with no rain or storm in sight.

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
BklynGirl
Earning My Ears

I'm in Evacuation Zone A here in Brooklyn, NY - waiting to see if we are going to get a mandatory evacuation order tomorrow morning. Not sure what I'm going to do - I have two kitties, no car & (possibly) no mass transit.

At this point I think I'm going to pack up the kitties and head to my mom's house in Queens tonight after work. It'll be a little crowded in her apartment, especially with the cats (who HATE the carrier/travel of any kind) freaking out but I guess it's safer than waiting till the last minute.

Good luck and lots of pixie dust to everyone in the storm's path - stay safe!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
auroralark
Lives for vacation

I wasn't really worried until my dad called and told me to take this seriously - and he is not the type to worry at all. I filled up every pitcher in my house with water, and I think we're ok with other supplies. I'm mostly worried about trees falling on my house - we have had some damage from the storms last winter already.

Stay safe everyone!
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwood View Post
It's funny you mention Isabelle. We were predicted to get Isabelle. The kids got a notice the day before that school would be closed. The next day it was bright sunshine with no rain or storm in sight.
I remember Isabelle. We lost trees- one very large on just skimmed the side of our garage- we were very lucky it only ben the gutter- 1 foot to the side and it would have crashed through the garage roof. That was a very long and scary night.

I did my hurricane shopping yesterday. Water for drinking, non-perishables- food we can eat with electricity. We have well water & septric, so when power goes out we lose water and bathrooms too. So I will be filling the tub tomorrow for flushing as needed.

My parents live next to Long Beach Island and weren't planning to leave until told to do so( which I think is happening today) I am trying to get them to make some plans- they thought the police would tell them where to go. Not happening. They just want you OUT!!

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
MainStreetFireman
DIS Veteran

can't wait to say "Goodnight, Irene"...

Our FD has already called a standby for all day Sunday. Staffing is currently being scheduled for overlapping 8-hour shifts.

At home, we have batteries for lanterns (remember NEVER to use propane lanterns or any gas/charcoal cooking anywhere indoors -- CO is a silent killer) and plenty of water (for both us and pets). Non-perishable food is an easy must.

Have shovels and brooms available for clearing overflowing catch basins and sewers near your home, and always keep kitty litter on hand as both an absorbant and effective block (it clumps at sight) against water.

Final precautions for us? Moving our WDW vacation at CSR from Monday-Monday to Tuesday-Tuesday. It means my kids will miss orientation day of a school they already attend (no classes), but we are all OK with that. I'm all about priorities.

Be safe and remember that nature is more powerful than us.

I've been BOOed by iloveeeyore
MainStreetFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl View Post
I'm in Evacuation Zone A here in Brooklyn, NY - waiting to see if we are going to get a mandatory evacuation order tomorrow morning. Not sure what I'm going to do - I have two kitties, no car & (possibly) no mass transit.

At this point I think I'm going to pack up the kitties and head to my mom's house in Queens tonight after work. It'll be a little crowded in her apartment, especially with the cats (who HATE the carrier/travel of any kind) freaking out but I guess it's safer than waiting till the last minute.

Good luck and lots of pixie dust to everyone in the storm's path - stay safe!!!
It would be a wise idea to get out tonight ahead of the storm, while you have the option. Good Luck to you!!!

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #22
ninecrayons
DIS Veteran

Hurricane insanity is definitely setting in here in NYC. I just went to our local grocery store to get some basic food that we'll need to eat for the two days before Irene is set to land. They brought in a case of water and people literally fell onto it like it was food and they were starving. Women were hefting three cases of water at a time.

Anyway, there I am, in Stop and Shop and this woman starts SCREAMING at me that I won't be able to cook a frozen pizza if we lose power. She then followed me to the parking lot and continued yelling at me!

Then I went to fill up my car at the gas station. There was a huge line, which was fine. I'm waiting in this line and this woman pulls up and tries to cut the line. When nobody lets her cut the line, she tries to back into the line. She starts SCREAMING at the people in line. Of course who ends up getting screwed? Me! I pulled forward to close the gap and scraped my door on the concrete partition. I'm seriously not leaving my house again until this insanity passes.

Be safe guys... The insanity is just as bad as the storm.

"and then the world, / which is round and has only / the colors of these nine crayons" - Margaret Atwood

ninecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #23
LMO429
DIS Veteran

sending pixie dust that everyone stays safe during the storm

LMO429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #24
emilymad
DIS Veteran

I am outside of Philly and just got back from the store. No batteries left. They had some water but it was going fast. We stocked up on non perishable food. We aren't too worried about flooding in my neighborhood but our power was out twice last week from normal thunderstorms. Ugh!

We are going to the Phillies game tonight. It seems like getting there should be fine for once as everyone is coming back from the Shore instead of heading to it.

Prayers and PD to everyone!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Just thought I'd post a NJ update here....

NJ GSP tolls are suspended as of this morning. South lanes will be shut down tonight.

Keangsburg is under a mandatory evacuation as of today. Hazlet is under a voluntary as of right now, but that may change tonight. 110 MPH is now expected as the eye of Irene is going through Monmouth County.

Please make a plan today everyone and stay safe.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #26
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

My parents just obeyed a voluntary evac from Waretown, NJ (right across from Barnegat Lighthouse- Ocean County). They evacuated everyone east of Route 9. They live 2 blocks west of Rt 9- and I was bugging them to get out of town! Bridge from LBI is closing soon.
They are headed to Harrisburg, PA for 3-4 days.

We are 40 miles inland, and fairly highly elevated (relatively speaking )- so we are waiting it out.

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #27
auroralark
Lives for vacation

I just heard about the mandatory evacuation in NYC - the first time ever. I've been watching the Weather Channel nonstop but I'm trying not to freak out too much.

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL
Our Princess arrived! 7/4/12
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #28
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

My parents are refusing to leave. They are under a voluntary evacuation as of right now, but my father said he is not leaving even if it becomes mandatory. Gotta love the added anxiety that brings me!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #29
ninecrayons
DIS Veteran

Just read one of the articles about the NYC evacuation.

Quote:
"This is very serious. Do not be fooled by the sun outside."
This is a totally accurate quote. Right now it's sunny and gorgeous outside. It's hard to imagine that a hurricane is due to hit.

This is all so weird.

"and then the world, / which is round and has only / the colors of these nine crayons" - Margaret Atwood

ninecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #30
HillPete
Secret Simba Fan

If anyone has an extra sprinkle of PD left after all this, please send it to the eastern panhandle of WV. DH's parents live there in a community that is only about 1/2 mile from the Potomoc River. They are unlikely to get hit with too much from the storm itself (they are about 90 minutes northwest of DC) but folks are predicting a huge storm-surge-like effect on the Potomoc. Hopefully, their development doesn't end up underwater!

Tags
hurricane, irene

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: