Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Trip Summary and a List of Personal Firsts at DLR

I and DS16 had three days at the parks preceding the D23 Expo - Tue/Wed/Thu August 16-18. Here are some items others might find of interest.

Personal Firsts

o We used a FP for Space Mtn on the next day

On Wednesday we had Space Mtn FPs and we returned at 10PM to use them and it had just closed. So we did not get to use them. We happened back by on Thursday morning and I told them what happened and was going to ask if they would take them. Before I could finish my sentence the CM said no problem and waved us through.

The moral of the story should be obvious. If you have FPs from the previous day and cannot use them because of ride problems then do not throw them away!

As a side note, after Space Mtn broke down Wednesday night we decided to use our Indy FP. So we trekked over there. Guess what? They were down too!

So after our Space Mtn experience we asked if we could use the FPs at Indy and they said we could not. The CM said they got the ride going again before closing the previous night and when that happens they do not take FPs the next day.

FYI.

o I saw the "hidden" Mickey hat on the skeleton in Indy! I have looked at least a dozen times and never saw it. Now I know where to look.

o We rode California Screamin at night. Twice.

o We ate at the new Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta at DCA. Not great but pretty good. The dinign area there in Paradise Garden is pretty nice.

o We got a bread bowl at DCA's Pacific Wharf

o Saw Magical foreworks from the hub

o Stayed at the Candy Cane Inn - because it was close to the parks and also close to the Anaheim Convention Center where the Expo was held. The grounds at CCI are very well maintained and welcoming. The pool was clean and welcoming and small. The rooms were nothing special and in reasonably good condition.

o We rode TSMM at rope drop. Arrived 10 minutes before rope drop. Walked with purpose at 10AM. Got on the ride at about 10:06AM.

We rode TSMM later that day with a 25 minute line. Was the rope drop really that advantageous? We still waited in line for 16 minutes (10 at the rope then 6 at the ride). Probably not on that day. But on days with a 35-40 minute line it begins to be worth it.

Personal Seconds

o I saw WOC from the very front of the red/yellow section - the absolute closest spot - in the wet zone and got...wet. A little. Well a little more than a little but not a lot.

Also earlier in the week we saw WOC from preferred dining and got a rail spot. I will probably not try any more for the very front. I like the rail spot much better or any spot maybe 20-30 feet back from the water. The very front spot is just too close. It is awesome to see it there once as the show envelopes you. But you just can't see some of the effects very well because you are too close.

o Ate at Cafe Orleans and Plaza Inn

o Rode Soarin Over California thru the single rider - and I swear it took longer than the standby line. I knew it is the worst single rider line but it took forever. I am not going to do this anymore.

Other things of note...

o It was warm but typical SoCal summer weather. A little cloudy in the mornings, the sun out by 9-10AM. The first day was low 80's, the next two were high 80's.

o Crowds were modest - even Splash Mtn on hot days never appeared to get above an hour standby. It was easy to get FPs for Splash, Space, Indy, Soarin and anything except for ST into the early evening.

o The front seats of California Screamin are the best. The front seats of Space Mtn are the best. The rear seats of BTMRR are the best.

o Finding Nemo Sub Voyage has grown on me. I think it got a bad rap in 2007 because it was not spectacular. But for what it is it is a pretty good ride.

o Rode Little Mermaid ride back in late June soon after it opened. Twice. The ride was not spectacular. I rode it a third time last week and my opinion of it improved. The color and motion and animatronics are quite good. I agree one of the Ariel AA's looks a little wierd. I think guests get too close and/or there is too much light on her.

o Got to share a yummy Tigger Tail with DS16 on two separate days.

o If your group is adults or teens who can power walk, you can really make progress pre-rope drop.

On Wednesday we arrived at the DLR security at about 7:35 and security had not yet opened for some reason. There were 40-50 people in front of us. After it opened we power walked and got in line at one of the turnstiles with the tree in front (line 18 I think) which feeds two lines (18 and 19) and we were about 20th in line there. They opened the turnstiles at about 7:50AM and we got thru and power walked and made it to the front of the rope on the far left side at the end of Main Street. From there we power walked and were second in line to get ST FPs. Then we power walked to PP and had a bout a 10 minute wait because of our ST detour. It was worth it.

o The pre-rope drop ST line at the far right sidewalk they had in June is gone. Everyone has a free shot at the ST queue at rope drop. There are no ropes leading from Main Street to ST anymore.

o After the Expo on Sunday evening I had a few hours and spent them seeing WOC (see earlier bullet item) and Fantasmic immediately after. I think Fantasmic is really good (not as good as WOC ) and think it does not have near the story that some people make it out to have. The first 12 of the 23 minutes are just water screens and floats coming by. No story until the witch appears at around 13 minutes in.

In any case Fantasmic has four very awesome things about it. The AA dragon, the use of the ships, the music and the live performers. All powerful show elements. I love the Fantasmic music!
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

So when you were waiting for security to let you in on the Harbor side, was it open on the DTD side? Is that how you went from 40 or 50th in line at security to 20th in line at the gate?

When did you ride Screemin? Both trips pre WoC?
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
So when you were waiting for security to let you in on the Harbor side, was it open on the DTD side? Is that how you went from 40 or 50th in line at security to 20th in line at the gate?

I also rode Screamin' at night last week. I got a FP then asked the CM when they had usually been closing. For the 9:00 WOC she told me to be back around 8 since they closed around 8:30. It was definitely dark by then, and Screamin' in the dark blows away Screamin' in the daytime!
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
o We ate at the new Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta at DCA. Not great but pretty good. The dinign area there in Paradise Garden is pretty nice.

We tried this on our last visit too and really liked it. Very good for theme park food.

Quote:
o We got a bread bowl at DCA's Pacific Wharf
I like to do this once in a while. Which one did you get? I usually get clam chowder. Great tip I got from this board is you can get the filling in a cup instead of in the bread bowl if you don't want your bread soggy. I do this because I can't, maybe shouldn't is a better word, eat the whole bread bowl, and the boys like to nibble on it but don't usually like the contents.

Quote:
We rode TSMM later that day with a 25 minute line.
So jealous. It was never less than 40 minutes when we looked it up or actually went back there during our trip, plus it was down several times.

Quote:
o After the Expo on Sunday evening I had a few hours and spent them seeing WOC (see earlier bullet item) and Fantasmic immediately after. I think Fantasmic is really good (not as good as WOC ) and think it does not have near the story that some people make it out to have. The first 12 of the 23 minutes are just water screens and floats coming by. No story until the witch appears at around 13 minutes in.

In any case Fantasmic has four very awesome things about it. The AA dragon, the use of the ships, the music and the live performers. All powerful show elements. I love the Fantasmic music!
Obviously, everyone has their own tastes. WoC just doesn't do much for me. Big chunks of Fantasmic don't do a lot for me either though when I think about it. I find the water screens the most boring part of Fantasmic, so maybe that's why a whole show of water screens and water effects doesn't excite me either. I think what grabs me most with Fantasmic is the fantastic music!
longtimedisneylurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
aristocat65
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I also rode Screamin' at night last week. I got a FP then asked the CM when they had usually been closing. For the 9:00 WOC she told me to be back around 8 since they closed around 8:30. It was definitely dark by then, and Screamin' in the dark blows away Screamin' in the daytime!
I agree; It is the BEST at night
Disneyland 1976, Disneyland 1979, Disneyland 1989 Anaheim Hilton (honeymoon), Disneyland 1991 Desert Inn and Suites, Disneyland 1999 Hilton Suites, Disneyland 2002 Ayres Anaheim, Disneyland 2004 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2005 Boardwalk Villas, Disneyland 2006 CCI, WDW 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland 2007 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2008 Coronado Springs, Disneyland 2008 Embassy Suites, WDW August 2009, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland Feb 2011 Grand Californian, Disneyland Sept 2011, Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland May 2013 Paradise Pier, WDW November 2013 Port Orleans Riverside/Boardwalk Inn
aristocat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
HydroGuy

Quote:
It appeared both sides of security came in at the same time. It was just slow getting thru security with that many people.

I wish DLR would setup like WDW with a line for folks with no strollers or bags or anything to check...

Quote:
Yes, of course they close Screamin for WOC. So it was before. It appeared both nights we rode it that they closed the line around 8:15-8:30. One night we got in line at about 7:50 and rode at 8:10. It was dark but not totally. The other night we got in line at 8:15 and rode about 8:35. It was totally dark.

DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker View Post
I like to do this once in a while. Which one did you get? I usually get clam chowder. Great tip I got from this board is you can get the filling in a cup instead of in the bread bowl if you don't want your bread soggy. I do this because I can't, maybe shouldn't is a better word, eat the whole bread bowl, and the boys like to nibble on it but don't usually like the contents.
DS16 got the clam chower and I got the corn chowder. The corn chowder was pretty good. I think next time I will try something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker View Post
So jealous. It was never less than 40 minutes when we looked it up or actually went back there during our trip, plus it was down several times.

Usually TSMM was 30-40 minutes (and 45+ minutes on Sunday after blockouts lifted) but one afternoon we got off Screamin and the line was unusually short at 25 minutes. So we jumped in. We got to ride TSMM twice overall. The first time at rope drop I got a higher score than DS16 and he was determined to beat me second time. But I prevailed again.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:

o I saw the "hidden" Mickey hat on the skeleton in Indy! I have looked at least a dozen times and never saw it. Now I know where to look.

This is my favorite hidden Mickey in the entire park. When you know exactly where and how to look, it's awesome!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
ssuriano
DLR Cast Member

I love the bread bowl! Also couldn't agree more about the best seats in rides.
ssuriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Thanks for the insights, it has been awhile since I have done Screamin' at night (due to WOC changes). I am going to make it a priority to do on our next trip.

I agree about Space and BTMRR seat positions, but favor last row on Screamin' for the extra pull over the hills.

Glad you saw "Bones" in Indy! Hubby is still trying to catch a glimpse of him and hates that I can see him now almost everytime and he still can't.

Interesting about TSMM and rope drop. I will keep it mind and perhaps give it another try. I just seem to have bad luck with it as the first two times I devoted time to it at rope drop, it wasn't open first thing. So basically we wasted our rope drop. Haven't done a rope drop at DCA in awhile, perhaps it is time to see how it goes!

In my book, WOC beats Fantasmic in a cake walk everyday and twice most days, lol!

Sounds like you had fun, thanks again!
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #11
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Mmmmmm, the bread bowls are so yummy and filling!

Also, I was there that night when Space broke down at night. They ended up fixing it before midnight btw.

Still can't believe we were there at the same time and didn't say hi... We probably crossed paths so many times that day.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
Also, I was there that night when Space broke down at night. They ended up fixing it before midnight btw.
Yah, I heard that too after we came back later after Indy. So the whole "we do not take next day FPs if the ride re-opens" thing must be somewhat arbitrary.

So that must have been you in line before us humming the USC fight song on some of the rides?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
Caseystigger

Mouseketeer

Quote:
o I saw the "hidden" Mickey hat on the skeleton in Indy! I have looked at least a dozen times and never saw it. Now I know where to look. !
Can you give a general area where to look for this? Pretty please??! I have never been able to find it. I've seen the eeyore parking sign but not this.

Quote:
o We ate at the new Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta at DCA. Not great but pretty good. The dinign area there in Paradise Garden is pretty nice.!
Am thinking about trying this...was it worth it or would you suggest passing in favor of Pacific Wharf (which I really like)?

Quote:
o The front seats of California Screamin are the best. The front seats of Space Mtn are the best. The rear seats of BTMRR are the best.!
Totally agree!!

Quote:
LOVE Fantasmic and can't wait to see WOC for the first time next month.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and sorry for all the questions.
Erica

Caseystigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I love how you break your trip down into bullet points because that's how I think too.

A thought came to me about TSMM. I'm thinking that if you went on a day that didn't get as low as 25 min, then DCA would be more crowded in general and rope drop there might take longer.

WOC is my favorite show too. I think I enjoyed having a perfect view from the back better then the rail at preferred dining. It was great to see the entire show.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseystigger View Post
Can you give a general area where to look for this? Pretty please??! I have never been able to find it. I've seen the eeyore parking sign but not this.
What do I get in return?

OK, here is the best tip for seeing it :

The mistake I have made in the past is when the jeep first comes thru the tunnel where you can see the rope bridge and makes a hard left turn, there are skeletons all over on the left side. I always looked at the far back wall. That is not where it is. It is on the much closer wall immediately to the left - maybe 10 feet away from the ride vehicle. It is dark there and hard to see. The back walls have brighter light. And you only get a split second to see it.

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseystigger View Post
Am thinking about trying this...was it worth it or would you suggest passing in favor of Pacific Wharf (which I really like)?
I rate both as pretty good. Both DS16 and I got the spaghetti with meatballs at Boardwalk Pasta. I did love the heavenly sourdough bread in the breadbowls. The corn chowder in the breadbowl - not so much.

If I had to choose one over the other it would be the Boardwalk Pasta. By a nose.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: