DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
momberry
Earning My Ears

Angry Frustrated.....

Just need to vent....heading to OKW in 9 days!!! Haven't told the kids yet.....can't wait to see their faces when we tell them.

On to my vent....we originally booked a 1 BR....but then DH's friends were going to come. And mentioned to in-laws....and they thought about coming too....so we upgraded to a 2 BR to have the extra space for our guests. Well...now in-laws don't think they can make it...and friends "forgot" it was Labor Day and already have plans. So now...we have a huge 2 BR for just the 4 of us. Just frustrated about the last minute cancellations. So I figured I'd check to see if we could stay somewhere else for a change....Beach Club, Boardwalk......and nothing else is available.

Just don't like it when things don't turn out the way we think...part of the reason we are still DVC owners is to share with friends and family.....
momberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Get used to friends and family who think it is all free and doesn't cost you anything either! For some reason people are odd when it comes to time shares and thinking they are free stays. I'd be ticked if I put out all those points and could have had 2 vacations rather than one.
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

That happened to us once, too. I would up just being DH & me with a 2br. Instead of lamenting the lost points (althought it hurt), I have to tell you we really enjoyed the 2 br. Each of us spread out in our own bathroom, and we used the extra br to lay out the luggage and things we bought, instead of being so fussy about squirreling everything away. We still talk about the time we had so much room! Wouldn't do it on purpose, but just try to make lemonade out of lemons.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Granny

Is a REAL man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momberry View Post

On to my vent....we originally booked a 1 BR....but then DH's friends were going to come. And mentioned to in-laws....and they thought about coming too....so we upgraded to a 2 BR to have the extra space for our guests. Well...now in-laws don't think they can make it...and friends "forgot" it was Labor Day and already have plans. So now...we have a huge 2 BR for just the 4 of us. Just frustrated about the last minute cancellations.
If you read these boards regularly, you will see a bunch of posts from people who have had similar experiences that you did. And similar frustrations. It seems that it is a common issue...one of the best ways to avoid it is to only make the reservation once the guests have paid for their plane tickets. Then at least they have some skin in the game.

For what it's worth, we normally book a 2BR for the four of us. But I can see that if this puts a strain on your points where you would be quite upset.

Clear and FIRM communication up front seems to be the only thing that helps. And even then, people just don't understand what cancellations do to you.

I am not surprised that there are no 1BR villas available at any DVC resort since that is Labor Day weekend. Is there any chance to "downsize" at some point in your trip after the weekend is over?

(yep, I'm a guy)

Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Aunt Michelle
There is no television in your room

Very sorry everyone bailed so close to the trip!

Since you cannot make any changes I say make the best of it! Put the kids in their own bedroom, you and DH get your own room, fewer people means taking advantage of the extra bathroom space for getting ready and out the door, and you can relax in the living room without feeling like you're encroaching on someone's sleeping space! The most dangerous thing is you might like it! You'll always talk about the trip where you had all the space!

Have an excellent time!

************************************************** ******************************
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~Lewis Carroll
Aunt Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

We have only had people bail on us once. No problem, because they just never get invited back if they do that.

As to the 4 in a 2 bedroom issue. I guess I see it as a non-issue too. We usually get a 2 bedroom if we have more than 2 people so everyone has their own comfortable space.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

I'm dealing with a similar situation. My husband wants me to stop inviting other people on our vacations. I'm starting to think he's right.
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
cvjw
DIS Veteran

We routinely get a 2 bedroom for our family of 4. Everyone has their own bed and own room. The living room can stay a living room - the sofa is always just a sofa, and there isn't someone's clothes all over the living area. The extra bathroom is heavenly. Enjoy it, you will be wishing for that 2 bedroom just for your family on your next trip - you will be spoiled!
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Bouncin-Tigger
DVC + DIS = Expensive Habit

Sounds terrible going to Disney in a week and having too much room. Just kidding have fun.
10/19-10/26 1br BLT
2014 TRIPS
5/29-6/9 1 br SSR
8/1-8/8 Art of Animation
12/13-12/21 1 br BLT
Bouncin-Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

The problem if you downsize now is the extra points would go into holding.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
dmoore22
Old Rock n' Roller

I can totally empathize with you. Like Granny said ". . .one of the best ways to avoid it is to only make the reservation once the guests have paid for their plane tickets.Then at least they have some skin in the game." I know you'll have a great time in spite of this glitch. I hope this doesn't mess up your points too badly.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
momberry
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone!!! You're absolutely right!!!! We're going to enjoy the extra space....and let everyone spread out!!! Let the kids pick their OWN bed! No suitcases in the living room.....or breaking out the sleeper sofa every night!!!

And...the best part....we don't have to worry about "entertaining" anyone!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent.....9 days!!!! WOO HOO!!!!
momberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
a742246
older than dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by momberry View Post
Thanks everyone!!! You're absolutely right!!!! We're going to enjoy the extra space....and let everyone spread out!!! Let the kids pick their OWN bed! No suitcases in the living room.....or breaking out the sleeper sofa every night!!!

And...the best part....we don't have to worry about "entertaining" anyone!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent.....9 days!!!! WOO HOO!!!!
If you still have the space available I'll go... LOL Enjoy your extra space and have a wonderful vacation.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuperwendy View Post
I'm dealing with a similar situation. My husband wants me to stop inviting other people on our vacations. I'm starting to think he's right.
Whoa! don't tell him he's right (even though I think he is too). It would just ruin him. My invitee list is very small now. We do have many folks always trying to invite themselves, we just smile and ignore it.

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
DisDaydreamer
I have this DIS-ease

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2mm View Post
Whoa! don't tell him he's right (even though I think he is too). It would just ruin him.

Every (infrequent) chance you have to tell a man he is right is an opportunity to help him know right from wrong. Otherwise, you're just confusing us...

DisDaydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: