Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
silence
Missin' Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan View Post
I agree. My son was permitted in prior to his birthday and 6 months later, he brought a friend who was 2 months shy of his birthday and he too was permitted in. The only stipulation was that they weren't permitted to go into both clubs. They had to decide on one and stick with it.
This was the case for us as well on the Wonder. When my son was 13 we visited the Edge and Vibe. They said he could do either but had to choose and stick with that choice the whole week.

Past Trips: Feb/Mar '14 - GCH Cheer Comp / Dec '13 - Candy Cane Inn / June '13 Candy Cane Inn / May 4 13 DCL FANTASY cruise and MK / Jan '13 GCH / July '12 DLH / April 1 '12 DISNEY CRUISE on the WONDER! / Feb 20 11 DISNEYCRUISE to MR and DISNEYLAND - Candy Cane Inn / Oct 10 - GCH / Nov 10 - HoJos / July 10 - HoJo's / July 09 - HoJo's & DLH / May 09 - HoJo's / April 09 - HoJo's & Candy Cane Inn / January 09 - HoJo's / November 08 - HoJo's / October 08 - HoJo's / Aug 08 - Desert Inn / May 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Mar 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Nov 07 - Ramada Inn Maingate / Sept 07 - Hawthorn Suites / May 07 - Paradise Pier / Aug 06 - HoJo / Dec 05 - DLH / May 03 - Hawthorn Suites / Sept 02 - Hilton Garden Inn / Nov 00 - Hilton Garden Inn / Sept 99 - Hawthorn Suites
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #32
dpswift
DIS Veteran

As others have said I think it depends on how full the clubs are. On our recent cruise my 10 year old was allowed into Edge no problem. However they did not allow any 13 year olds into the Vibe until they at least tried out the Edge.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #33
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryliz View Post
We are sailing this Aug with DD16, DS13, and DD's 2 best friends who will both be almost 16. Our plan is to send DS13 to Edge ... he makes friends really easily so hoping that our kids having totally separate spaces on the cruise is a good thing.

If he absolutely HATED Edge, I would consider asking about bumping him up, but having no expectations of it being allowed. On our last cruise, DD went to Edge and found nothing appealing to her ... luckily DS likely won't find that to be the case. It was a short 4 night cruise so luckily she didn't care at that time about not going at all.

My biggest concern is with looking at some of the old Navigators that have been posted ... it looks like the first "welcome to the programming" for both clubs starts around 9PM that first night ... we have 2nd seating for dinner ... so how bad is it that they are likely going to miss those first "connections" in Edge and Vibe? This is an extended family cruise, so I really don't want them missing their first night in the dining room ... pretty sure they will skip the odd night later in the cruise, but I want them with all of us that first dinner.
Oh this will be a concern for me too. We have late seating dinner, but would be worried that if DS missed the first 'bonding session' at Edge, he will be at a disadvantage

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #34
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memargi View Post
In looking at the web page I am concerned about the edge. It doesn't seem to have the computer labs that are available to the younger kids and at the same time none of the table games available to the older kids. Is it as boring as it looks on the web page. I don't want 2 frustrated 12 and 13 year old boys on my hands.

My son was 11 and 12 on his two cruises. He is a very tall, very mature, smart boy who has been in the gifted program in school since it started. I say that, not to brag on my boy, but to say that he LOVED the Edge both times he was there. We couldn't pry him away. We actually went ashore at Costa Maya and he stayed onboard so he could be in the club.

The staff in there really engaged him and he had the time of his life in there. I'm really glad he wasn't hanging around older kids and had the time to be with kids his own age.
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #35
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

I'm tired of theses threads. My DS actually turned 14 on our last cruise. Yet, I did NOT ask for him to go to Vibe even one day early. What happened to just following the rules and not wanting them bent for you and your kids? My child is mature. My child will be bored, etc........
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (7/2014 AKV) (2/2015 AKL/5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #36
floridaminnie
WDW is my 2nd home and working on DCL being my 3rd!
Give me a foot massage andI'm yours!
Friends don't let floridaminnie grade papers drunk from too many margaritas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
I'm tired of theses threads. My DS actually turned 14 on our last cruise. Yet, I did NOT ask for him to go to Vibe even one day early. What happened to just following the rules and not wanting them bent for you and your kids? My child is mature. My child will be bored, etc........
I agree 100%. DD was 13 on this last cruise and she was in the Edge and had a great time. There were 10 year olds in the Edge that she said were so immature that the kids ended up ignoring them.

7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
floridaminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #37
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

I will give a warning it is up to the cruise capacity and the manager if the rules can be broken for your group. I overheard a family on our dream cruise over the weekend who were upset ) because their child wasn't allowed to move up even though every other child in their party were in Vibe.

I felt like the parents were over reacting but I don't know the whole story. I however am the type of person that hates when I see under 13 year olds on facebook, Instagram, etc because I feel like it is their parents way of saying "sorry you don't get what you want but we can break the rules for you". My brother is 1 year older than me and I wanted to do things with him because he was my big protector in life but I knew rules were rules. When I wasn't tall enough or old enough I learned to follow the rules and wait my turn. It taught me a lot about how the real world will work.

Last edited by wilkeliza; 03-24-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: didn't know the whole situation so removed specific details
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #38
MrsKP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan View Post
I agree. My son was permitted in prior to his birthday and 6 months later, he brought a friend who was 2 months shy of his birthday and he too was permitted in. The only stipulation was that they weren't permitted to go into both clubs. They had to decide on one and stick with it.
I know there really won't be a lot of free time on our trip but I want him to have fun with other teens during sea days and at night. You know being an only kid, they are independent!

DH-Kevin Kerry DS-Jared (14) DD-Ellison (3)

Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2013

MrsKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #39
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKP View Post
I know there really won't be a lot of free time on our trip but I want him to have fun with other teens during sea days and at night. You know being an only kid, they are independent!
Agree
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #40
momto2girls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
I agree... well, mostly. (I do think that I would ask for my child to move up if they were within a month of their birthday.) My 10 year old DD would love to go to the Edge. She wants to go soooo badly. She won't go to the Lab anymore, so that leaves us without a place for her until she turns 11. However, I completely understand that it wouldn't be fair to the other kids in the Edge for her to be there, so I wouldn't even think about asking. She will just have to find other things to occupy herself on our cruise in April. Fortunately, there is the Out and About option that she can do. I'm glad she has that at least. Also, she has a 12 year old sister that I'll ask to refrain from going to the Edge, so they can do things together instead.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #41
IsabellaSofia
Earning My Ears

If it's any help to anyone: I'm going on a magic cruise in August, and I'm 16 and my brother is 13, so I want him to come to vibe obviously.

I asked a counsellor on the dream because I have her on facebook, she said they do let 13 year olds in, but NO younger and you're parents have to sign a form

Good luck!
IsabellaSofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #42
cowboys4164
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence

This was the case for us as well on the Wonder. When my son was 13 we visited the Edge and Vibe. They said he could do either but had to choose and stick with that choice the whole week.
My 13 year old just did Vibe for the entire week on the Fantasy and Loved Loved Loved it!!!!!!!!
cowboys4164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #43
cowboys4164
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabellaSofia
If it's any help to anyone: I'm going on a magic cruise in August, and I'm 16 and my brother is 13, so I want him to come to vibe obviously.

I asked a counsellor on the dream because I have her on facebook, she said they do let 13 year olds in, but NO younger and you're parents have to sign a form

Good luck!
My 13 year old did Vibe all week on the Fantasy and absolutely loved it!!!!
cowboys4164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #44
missyp
Mouseketeer

My youngest DS was 10 on our Dream cruise ( Feb 2013) my older DS was 14. My hope was to get them both into the Edge so they could be together. I had no problem talking them into letting my 10 year old into the Edge. He loved it and he fit in just fine (I know that is not always the case but he did). My older one loved the Vibe and didn't spend any time with his brother in the Edge. They both had a great time, the both clubs offered tons of entertainment. The Edge may not look exciting but the counselors make it exciting, tons and tons of activities.

DCL Wonder- 04/14
DCL Dream- 02/13
missyp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: