Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #31
Euphscott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Carol,
My recollection of Cozumel (from probably 15 years ago) is that the ship docks there and there is a shopping venue right at the dock. That may give you an opportunity to get off the ship.
All the docks in Cozumel butt up against fairly extensive shopping options.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #32
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphscott View Post
All the docks in Cozumel butt up against fairly extensive shopping options.
Thanks for confirming that. I realized after I posted that my last stop at Cozumel had to have been 20 years ago now. I'm sure lots of things have changed.
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #33
nmoore14
Is there life outside of Disney? If so, I don't want to know about it.

Thanks for the tip. I do not plan on getting off the ship except on GC for a shore excursion. I will get off the ship to shop in Cozumel and Costa Maya, but I do not think I will do a shore excursion on these islands.
nmoore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #34
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I plan on getting off the ship because I like to explore, and I've never been on a Caribbean cruise before. I did go to Cozumel back in 1987, so I plan to get off there, too.

I'm fluent in Spanish if anyone would like a translator.

Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #35
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I'm planning on getting off the ship in Cozumel, because I have this hope that the 3rd time will be the charm! On my very first cruise, I signed up to swim with the Dolphins on Curacao, and ended up getting a corneal abrasion on the plane down to Puerto Rico (so couldn't go in the water). No Dolphins for me! Then, 3 years ago, during another cruise, I planned to swim with the Dolphins on Cozumel. I managed to survive a blood clot, and my doctor would not allow me to swim with the Dolphins since I was on blood thinners. So... I could either think me swimming with Dolphins is cursed, or that the 3rd time will be a charm, and I'll get to swim with the Dolphins on Cozumel!

I don't really have anything planned for Costa Maya. I haven't made up my mind about Grand Cayman yet, but I plan on doing *something*. And I *have* to go to Castaway Cay and see what all the hype is about! I've been toying with the idea of parasailing.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #36
paulasillars
Body in New Zealand, mind in Walt Disney World
Winner of the ABD Potty Olympics

Shore Excursions

We booked our shore excursions today. We booked the Grand Cayman Island Tour for the afternoon and in the morning, we will look to getting off the ship early and going to the local museum. http://www.museum.ky/Content/16.htm

We didn't book anything for Costa Maya - nothing really appealed.

For Cozumel, we booked Mayan Ruins & Discover Mexico Cultural Park. We have seen Tulum on a previous trip. The Discover Mexico Cultural Park has a great review on Tripadvisor.

paulasillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #37
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulasillars View Post
We booked our shore excursions today. We booked the Grand Cayman Island Tour for the afternoon and in the morning, we will look to getting off the ship early and going to the local museum. http://www.museum.ky/Content/16.htm

We didn't book anything for Costa Maya - nothing really appealed.

For Cozumel, we booked Mayan Ruins & Discover Mexico Cultural Park. We have seen Tulum on a previous trip. The Discover Mexico Cultural Park has a great review on Tripadvisor.
We won't have much of a morning in Grand Cayman, as we are there from 11:30-5:15 (all aboard is at 4:45)! Grand Cayman is a tender port, and when a ship arrives in port that late in the morning - everyone wants off the ship at the same time.

Last edited by NancyIL; 09-05-2012 at 08:44 AM.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #38
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

sayhello- good luck with your dolphin excursion!!!! we did the one at the blue lagoon in nassau years back and it was great

jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #39
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulasillars View Post

I'm thinking about doing this tour, too. I was in Cancún and Cozumel back in 1987, and so have visited Tulum, Chichen Itzá, and a few other places. But, I think I'd enjoy this tour.

Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #40
DVC Kathy
Mouseketeer

DH and I signed up for Discover Native Cayman and the Saltwater Forest in Grand Cayman.

It just sounded different from a lot of the excursions. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.

DVC Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #41
Euphscott
DIS Veteran

Nancy - due to your observation and some recent experience - Grand Cayman is our shopping port. Lots of Christmas shopping for unusual gifts that cannot be purchased back home.

As for the other ports, we'll see how the weather cooperates and probably wing it once we get into port. Lots of easy and less expensive port tour options once on land!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #42
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Now you guys have me rethinking Cozumel and GC! As much as I'd really like to see the Tulum Ruins, I am not so excited about traveling 2 hours each way to get there. I know the San Gervasio Ruins are less spectacular, but much more accessible. Paired with that is either the Cozumel Highlights or the Discover Mexico Cultural Park. I'm leaning towards the former, but need to read more Trip Advisor reviews about the latter! I had considered the Seaworld Explorer Semi Submarine in Grand Cayman, but will probably wait to book something (if anything) there.

I still want to go to the Chacchoben Ruins in Costa Maya, as I'd go crazy sitting on a beach!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #43
TIGGERmetoo
DIS Veteran

Do you think there will be time to do the ruins in Costa Maya? It says the tour is 4-4 1/2 hours and we are only in port for 4 1/2 hours.

Terri

TIGGERmetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #44
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGERmetoo View Post
Do you think there will be time to do the ruins in Costa Maya? It says the tour is 4-4 1/2 hours and we are only in port for 4 1/2 hours.
Disney wouldn't offer the tour if there wasn't time. But I guess I'd be concerned that they may shorten the amount of time at the ruins in order to be sure to make it back to the ship.

Last edited by OKW Lover; 09-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
OKW Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #45
TIGGERmetoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Kathy View Post
DH and I signed up for Discover Native Cayman and the Saltwater Forest in Grand Cayman.

It just sounded different from a lot of the excursions. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.
We are thinking about doing this one too. We are also considering the Cozumel Highlights and Mayan Ruins tour.

Terri

TIGGERmetoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: