Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #106
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

The pictures from the Garden Grill are great and I think your favorite is also my favorite so far. The kids look like they are enjoying themselves immensely. It's been a few years since we've eaten at the Garden Grill but have talked about going back.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #107
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Old Key West, I had no idea it is so beautiful!! I really had no clue, I must do some resort hopping to see what I have been missing out on!!

Every time I walk by the garden grill it smells wonderful, but the menu didnt appeal to me, if I had known it had great character interaction I would have booked that one!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #108
Deemarch
DIS Veteran

Love reading your TR!

I, too, love your quiet little spot in HS!! DH & I love to get a cup of coffee and one of those delicious cookies!!

Can't wait for the rest of your report!!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #109
bna16
Mouseketeer

I love your pictures of the garden grill restaurant. My mom and I are dining there on our trip (tuesday!) and I am super excited about this restaurant!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #110
MEK
DIS Veteran

pretty OKW pics!

Wonderful GG pics! I love the food there and the kids look like they are having a blast!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #111
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post

Chip was in an especially playful mood this evening. He kept tickling the kids. This is one of my favorite pictures of the trip.

This picture is absolutely precious!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 09-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #112
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

We also love Garden Grill! I agree that the character interaction is amazing!!!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #113
kcandbella
DIS Veteran

Hey I just found your new report! So fun that you managed to squeeze in a surprise summer trip. It looks like a lot of fun so far!

I have a quick question...what does your time need to be/what do I need to bring to move to a closer corral? I did a 10K in 63 minutes but don't have anything official that says that. Can I just print the online list of times to bring with me? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your report. Your PP obsession always makes for a good TR since you have all those pics! Have your boys seen pictures of Duffy in his pumpkin costume? You might not want to show them unless you have a MNSSHP trip factored into your budget!
June 2012 POR
Sept/Oct 2011 Pop
May 2010 POR
Many offsite stays as a child
Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #114
okw19
DIS Veteran

Yay, you're finally at OKW! Garden Grill looks great! I've never eaten there, but I think it'll be going on my "to-try" list now!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #115
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
The pictures from the Garden Grill are great and I think your favorite is also my favorite so far. The kids look like they are enjoying themselves immensely. It's been a few years since we've eaten at the Garden Grill but have talked about going back.
The food at the Garden Grill is nothing special, but the characters have always been so much fun when we go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
Old Key West, I had no idea it is so beautiful!! I really had no clue, I must do some resort hopping to see what I have been missing out on!!

Every time I walk by the garden grill it smells wonderful, but the menu didnt appeal to me, if I had known it had great character interaction I would have booked that one!!
Old Key West is a great resort! It has such a relaxing vibe and the CMs are incredible! The food at the Garden Grill is pretty standard. This is a place where the characters are definitely the draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemarch View Post
I, too, love your quiet little spot in HS!! DH & I love to get a cup of coffee and one of those delicious cookies!!

Can't wait for the rest of your report!!
I've been suprised about how many people have mentioned they have spent time in the Writer's Stop. It must not be the great secret that I thought it was! Won't stop me from going back though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bna16 View Post
I love your pictures of the garden grill restaurant. My mom and I are dining there on our trip (tuesday!) and I am super excited about this restaurant!
Have a fabulous trip! I'm sure you'll have a great time. Let me know if you do a trip report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
pretty OKW pics!

Wonderful GG pics! I love the food there and the kids look like they are having a blast!
The kids really did enjoy this meal. Even though they are getting older, they still like the character meals.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #116
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
This picture is absolutely precious!
If I ever get around to getting prints done, this one is going to get a frame all its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
We also love Garden Grill! I agree that the character interaction is amazing!!!

Amanda
Sometimes at the Garden Grill we see the characters so many times I feel like saying, "Hi Mickey. Just move right along." We don't want to hurt their feelings though so we never do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandbella View Post
Hey I just found your new report! So fun that you managed to squeeze in a surprise summer trip. It looks like a lot of fun so far!

I have a quick question...what does your time need to be/what do I need to bring to move to a closer corral? I did a 10K in 63 minutes but don't have anything official that says that. Can I just print the online list of times to bring with me? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your report. Your PP obsession always makes for a good TR since you have all those pics! Have your boys seen pictures of Duffy in his pumpkin costume? You might not want to show them unless you have a MNSSHP trip factored into your budget!
Hello my old friend! Awesome time on your 10K! My 10K time was closer to 70 minutes. The online printout should work just fine. I think there is a spot you take it at the Expo and they will move you up your corral. How has training gone? So exciting! I really want to hear about your race. Make sure to let me know if you do a trip report. I have never seen pictures of Duffy in his pumpkin costume. We went to the MNSSHP last year, but Duffy was only at Epcot. Do they move him over to the MK for the party. You are right that my boys would love that, but they aren't getting another Halloween trip anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw19 View Post
Yay, you're finally at OKW! Garden Grill looks great! I've never eaten there, but I think it'll be going on my "to-try" list now!
I was so happy to finally get to OKW!!! Felt like the vacation really began!
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #118
dismagiclover

An Old Key West Evening

We arrived back at Old Key West and headed for our room. We had reserved a 1 bedroom near the Hospitality House. I was excited as we pulled up to our building. Our room was on the 1st floor which I really liked. No hauling luggage up and down stairs. (Most of the building at Okw donít have elevators.) Here are some pictures of the room. (I actually didnít take any room pictures so these are taken from the OKW thread).

One of the couches folds out to a double bed. That is where the boys slept. The chair on the far right folds out to a single. That is where Wendy slept.

This may sound silly, but I loved the extra counter by the table. It was such a great place to dump all of that extra stuff like water bottles, souvenirs we picked up, Duffy coloring sticks etc.

This is the hallway that leads to the master bedroom. The door on the left goes to the full size laundry room. Also another nice feature. It was the perfect place to put all the suitcases that was completely out of the way.

The master bedroom with our lovely king sized bed.

Our whirlpool tub! Another reason the 1 bedrooms are so much better than a studio. What did we think? We loved it. Pictures donít really show you how big this place is. It was much bigger than the DH and Iís first apartment. Even though it was a 1 bedroom we never felt crowded at all. In fact it almost seemed more spacious than the 2 bedroom we had in January at BWV. I loved the fact that the master bedroom was actually down a hallway and had its own entrance out to the patio. The biggest downside is that the kids didnít have their own bathroom. The bathroom that we did have was really big though. After checking out the room and bringing in the luggage the boys starting begging to visit the Community Center and the pool. Last year the boys absolutely loved the Community Center and we spent hours there. This summer was no different. Every chance they got the boys wanted to go to the Community Center. In fact even when we were in the parks the boys would ask if we could go to the Community Center. They have video games, fusball, darts and they often have craft projects. The staff there is fabulous. They are fun, welcoming and so laid back. Weíve visited the Community Centers at Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom Kidani, and the Boardwalk too. Old Key West is by far my kidsí favorite.

So we popped into the Community Center for a little bit then we spent the rest of the evening swimming at the pool. This is a fun pool, but not really anything special. There is a decent slide, but no gradual entry and no water play area. So in the pool department Hilton Bonnet Creek wins.

We filled up our mugs at the refill station right by the pool. (Remember the mugs were the impetus for getting the 1 day dining plan.) The kids swam while DH and I just relaxed in the lounge chairs. It was a really pleasant evening. Love that Old Key West vibe. Shortly after dark we called it a night. The kids settled down in the living room. DH and I enjoyed the master suite. It was sweet dreams for us all as we looked forward to another Disney day. I was especially excited because the next day we would FINALLY make it to the Magic Kingdom.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #119
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
I am so happy to hear that you have no immediate plans to stop the character meals....we still do them and Jasmine is 18! Great pictures of the kids...I love the one of the kids being tickled...pure magic
Nope. I am not giving up character meals! I even have a couple scheduled for my January trip where it is just DH and I. (Shhhhh. I don't think I've mentioned that to him) They are fun no matter what the age if you just let your kids come out. That picture of the kids getting tickled really does capture the magic.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #120
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

OKW looks lovely! We liked SSR when we stayed there but hated the transportation. I imagine OKW would pose a similar issue - unless I can continue to convince Tom that renting a car is important!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: