Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #91
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw19 View Post
I'm all caught up and joining in! I was so relieved that Wendy felt better after some rest. It's too funny that the boys love Duffy so much!
The resort pictures are great, I was curious as to what it looked like. Can't wait for you to get to OKW, it's my favorite. I'm glad you like the peacefulness so much that you brought DH to enjoy it. Some people just need to give OKW a chance and then they'd get it.
We were happy Wendy wasn't really sick too. That would have been a bummer. I hear you about Old Key West! I love it too. BWV is our home resort my DH just loves the location (I like it too.) Secretly though I may like OKW better. I just love the vibe there and the CMs at the pool and community center are laidback and fun. I love the lush landscape and the ability to stroll around. I could go on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
How fun you got to squeeze in one last trip with your APs! I'm a little late but I'm here to catch up.
Hello old friend! I'm glad you're here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I'm getting caught up!
Poor Wendy! I'm glad she perked up with some rest and water. Bonnet Creek looks lovely! Definitely something to consider in the future...

Amanda
Bonnet Creek worked great for us. The only downside is technically it only sleeps 4. My boys love sleeping on the floor so they didn't mind, but they could be a problem as they get older.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #92
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

I'm in the same camp with you about Toy Story, it's a fun ride but the effort it takes to get on it is RIDICULOUS!

Funny story, on our last Disney trip we didn't have a RD planned at DHS, just heading to the park on arrival day (we got off the plan just after 9 a.m.). Our plan was grab the rental car and head to DHS to attempt to grab one of the last FP's for TSM. We parked the car at 10:19 and was in the park before 10:30, but just as we got to Pixar Place, the CMs were announcing that the last FP's had been given out for the day. Boo. As luck would have it, NASA kept pushing back the space shuttle launch we were in Florida for, so we did end up with a RD morning at DHS and did the TSM dash with everyone else!

How funny that your boys drew Mickey instead of Minnie! Boys will be boys, I guess.

I hadn't seen Beauty and the Beast for years before our last trip and I forgot what a wonderful show it is! Even DBF liked it.

Your description of Bonnet Creek has made me want to look into it. We've already got hotels/townhouse for our October '11 and March '12 trips, but I'm hoping to get one more trip out of our AP's early next October. I'm putting Bonnet Creek at the top of my list for places we should look into if we want to use cheaper lodging than Disney's hotels.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #93
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Aww..I'm so glad that Wendy was feeling better and could go back to enjoy Epcot! So cute about the Duffy Quest! Love the Mickey style hopscotching!! We'll have to try that here!

The Minnie (and Mickey) drawings turned out great!! Glad you were able to see Beauty and the Beast! I love that show!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #94
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I'm in the same camp with you about Toy Story, it's a fun ride but the effort it takes to get on it is RIDICULOUS!

Funny story, on our last Disney trip we didn't have a RD planned at DHS, just heading to the park on arrival day (we got off the plan just after 9 a.m.). Our plan was grab the rental car and head to DHS to attempt to grab one of the last FP's for TSM. We parked the car at 10:19 and was in the park before 10:30, but just as we got to Pixar Place, the CMs were announcing that the last FP's had been given out for the day. Boo. As luck would have it, NASA kept pushing back the space shuttle launch we were in Florida for, so we did end up with a RD morning at DHS and did the TSM dash with everyone else!

How funny that your boys drew Mickey instead of Minnie! Boys will be boys, I guess.

I hadn't seen Beauty and the Beast for years before our last trip and I forgot what a wonderful show it is! Even DBF liked it.

Your description of Bonnet Creek has made me want to look into it. We've already got hotels/townhouse for our October '11 and March '12 trips, but I'm hoping to get one more trip out of our AP's early next October. I'm putting Bonnet Creek at the top of my list for places we should look into if we want to use cheaper lodging than Disney's hotels.
Great minds think alike about TSM! If you do decide to look into Hilton Bonnet Creek make sure to check out lastminutetravel.com. That is where we got the great deal. If you go directly to Hilton's website it is quite a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Aww..I'm so glad that Wendy was feeling better and could go back to enjoy Epcot! So cute about the Duffy Quest! Love the Mickey style hopscotching!! We'll have to try that here!

The Minnie (and Mickey) drawings turned out great!! Glad you were able to see Beauty and the Beast! I love that show!
We should try the Mickey style hopscotching at home too. Then it can feel a tiny bit like Disney World!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #95
dismagiclover

My secret spot at Hollywood Studios

After leaving the Beauty and the Beast show, Wendy and I met up with the boys. They had enjoyed their Indiana Jones “boy” show. Now, however, they were all chomping at the bit to get on Star Tours. This was the first time for the refurbished ride. My stomach doesn’t get along well with Star Tours so I happily sent my family on their way. What did I get to do? Anything I wanted!!! I love when my family goes on Star Tours because it gives me the time to do what I love best about Disney. Just enjoy being there without worrying about where to go next. Now I have a secret place I like to hang out while the rest of the family is on Star Tours. I reveal this only to my closest DIS friends because I don’t really want the secret out. There is a hidden gem away from the hustle and bustle of the park. Believe it or not it is quiet; it has Disney reading material; and best of all a delightful selection of delicious baked goods. What is this mythical place?

The Writer’s Stop. (Most of these photos aren’t my own. I borrowed them from another thread.) It honestly seems like my own secret corner of Hollywood Studios. It is right next to the Sci Fi cafť. Here are a few shots of the inside.

I plopped myself down in a reading chair and spent my time browsing a book about Disney Illustration. I loved it! It wasn’t too long before the clan finished up Star Tours. They found me in my spot (and did a bit to spoil the quiet of the store.) They had a great report. Normally my boys don’t like 3-D, but this was an exception. (Though Michael didn’t wear his glasses.) We had an early dinner scheduled so I suggested we raid the baked goods counter for a light lunch to tide us over. No one complained about that. Here is a shot of the display. It doesn’t do it justice though. It doesn’t show the yummy cupcakes available.

Being this was over 2 months ago and I didn’t take pictures I have no idea what we got. I do know we liked it though. We sat in the little seating area and enjoyed. Here is a shot of the seating area:

After our relaxing interlude we headed back out into the park. Wendy and I headed off to the American Idol show.

I like this show. You never quite know what you are going to get. Here are our 3 performers.

I don’t really remember any of them, but I liked the show. While Wendy and I were cheering on the Idolettes, the boys headed over to meet a couple of their favorite stars.

Phineus and Ferb! Here is their report. “It was a blast. They ran out with air guitars and the guys said they were making a movie.” Whatever happened I think they liked it. Here are a few more shots.

We all met up again and I had one final thing to do in Hollywood Studios. I wanted to go on the Backlot Tour. We had never been on it and I figured it was about time we did. We headed over and hopped in line. The tour was not meant to be on this day. About five minutes into our wait lightning was spotted in the area. Since this is an outdoor attraction they had to wait at least 30 minutes before resuming the ride. So we decided we’d try and hit it another day. We headed out to our car.

Next stop: Old Key West!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #96
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Jasmine, Mini Montana and I spent some time in the Writer's Shop too while the rest of the crew rode Star Tours ( I got a little on it...the joys of getting older) I love that little corner and could spend a morning checking out the books and drinking a delicious cup of coffee!!

Phineas and Ferb (did I get those spellings right) crack me up...those purple pants
Old 09-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #97
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

I don't know the Writer's Spot but I definitely need to find it on our next trip!!! Great secret tip!
We met Phineas and Ferb and they were awesome! It was a really fun character encounter.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #98
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Ooh, I've never even been to the Writer's Spot. Glad you were able to enjoy some quiet time there.

I also love the American Idol show.

I've never seen Phineas and Ferb but the meet and greet sounds fun.

Bummer you weren't able to do the Backlot Tour. Guess that's more reason to plan another trip!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #99
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

I have stumbled across that store before and it is always so nice and quiet!! I think I may need to make a stop there this time around as well, DBF will really enjoy it
Old 09-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #100
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

i thought Writer's stop was just a little pastry/ coffee type shop. i had no idea that you could find a nook and read!
and i also keep a fastpass in my wallet

May 2011 CBR TR. Oct 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR. Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #101
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Jasmine, Mini Montana and I spent some time in the Writer's Shop too while the rest of the crew rode Star Tours ( I got a little on it...the joys of getting older) I love that little corner and could spend a morning checking out the books and drinking a delicious cup of coffee!!

Phineas and Ferb (did I get those spellings right) crack me up...those purple pants
I guess I'm not the only one that know about Writer's Stop! I'm with you on Star Tours. Can't ride that one without feeling sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I don't know the Writer's Spot but I definitely need to find it on our next trip!!! Great secret tip!
We met Phineas and Ferb and they were awesome! It was a really fun character encounter.

Amanda
Phineas and Ferb are a favorite around our house. In fact Michael's bday party is this Saturday and it is a Phineas and Ferb theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Ooh, I've never even been to the Writer's Spot. Glad you were able to enjoy some quiet time there.

I also love the American Idol show.

I've never seen Phineas and Ferb but the meet and greet sounds fun.

Bummer you weren't able to do the Backlot Tour. Guess that's more reason to plan another trip!
You need to get to the Writer's Stop! And our hope for the Backlot Tour is not yet abandoned for this trip. Even without that I can come up with plenty of reasons for another trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
I have stumbled across that store before and it is always so nice and quiet!! I think I may need to make a stop there this time around as well, DBF will really enjoy it
It really does seem peaceful compared to the craziness of the park! A great find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
i thought Writer's stop was just a little pastry/ coffee type shop. i had no idea that you could find a nook and read!
and i also keep a fastpass in my wallet
DH will be glad to know he is not alone with his fastpass thing
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #102
MEK
DIS Veteran

I just discovered the Writer's Stop on my last trip and it really is a little gem. I didn't eat anything there, but you can bet I am going to in December. Such a cute place and the people were so friendly.

I can't wait to try Star Wars. Glad your family liked it. I want to ride it until I see every sequence (which will take all day) LOL! I'm not THAT crazy!

OKW - Yipee!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 09-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #103
schmass
DIS Veteran

I love the Writer's Stop! First time I went in there I think we were the only ones there - a very strange feeling at Disney...

I'm glad the report of the new Star Tours was good. I'm looking forward to trying it out myself very shortly!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #104
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I just discovered the Writer's Stop on my last trip and it really is a little gem. I didn't eat anything there, but you can bet I am going to in December. Such a cute place and the people were so friendly.

I can't wait to try Star Wars. Glad your family liked it. I want to ride it until I see every sequence (which will take all day) LOL! I'm not THAT crazy!

OKW - Yipee!
I'm glad you discovered the Writer's Stop. You definitely need to stop in for some yummy treats! Let me know how long it takes you to get in all the Start Tours ride sequences. And how often you see the same ones. Interesting research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmass View Post
I love the Writer's Stop! First time I went in there I think we were the only ones there - a very strange feeling at Disney...

I'm glad the report of the new Star Tours was good. I'm looking forward to trying it out myself very shortly!
It is very strange to enter the Writer's Stop. It's like all of a sudden things seem silent. I love it!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #105
dismagiclover

Old Key West check in and Dinner at Epcot

We left Hollywood Studios and headed for Old Key West. Yay! The kids and I stayed here last summer and had a fabulous time. DH had never been so we were excited to show him the resort. John was especially excited because this is his favorite DVC resort. It is right up there for me as well (though I remain partial to BWV because of the walk to Epcot.) Though I have to say if we could walk to Epcot from OKW than it would be #1 for me. So it felt like we were going home when we pulled in. We parked the car and headed to the check in area. Immediately I began to feel that laidback vacation vibe that is so much a part of OKW. Here are a few pictures. Most of them are from our last trip, but you get the idea.

Unfortunately our room wasnít ready yet, but we were OK with that. Mostly we had just come to check in so we could get our deluxe dining credits. We had a 4:05 ADR in Epcot so we were planning on heading over there anyway. So after getting a little teaser of the relaxation that was to come we hopped back into the car and drove to Epcot. We had a few minutes to kill before our ADR so what do you think we did? Duffy Quest. We hadnít hit Norway yet so we headed over there. Here are the boys Duffy Questing in Norway.

We only had time for one stop. Then we headed over to the Land for dinner. The Garden Grill is one of our familyís favorite character meals. We just love how you sit there and the food and characters come to you. No getting up and schlepping to the buffet. Plus the scenery changes during dinner. The character interaction here is some of the best weíve ever had. This meal didnít disappoint. Here are some pictures.

Before you know it Wendy will be as tall as Mickey.

Michael is always happy to spend some time with Pluto

Chip was in an especially playful mood this evening. He kept tickling the kids. This is one of my favorite pictures of the trip.

Even though my kids are growing up, they can still have fun with the characters. Mickey made it around again. (Wendy closed her eyes in the shot before this so she is overcompensating.)

And again.

DH and the boys had already left for the bathroom when Pluto came around to give us our last goodbyes.

This was our only character meal of the trip. As our kids get older these are losing priority. They are still fun though and Iím not planning on stopping them altogether anytime soon. Anyway our room was ready and we were anxious to see it. So after dinner we headed back to the car and drove to Old Key West.

Up next: Our first Old Key West evening.

Last edited by dismagiclover; 09-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: