Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Subscribing and off to check out some of your other reports.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #17
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmakatbaby View Post
We did a "Surprise, we are going to WDW" vacation last summer with our kids. We also planned it very last minute. I received a "Kids Stay, Play and Eat for free" promotion in the mail with my Disney Visa bill and I just could not pass that up! So I started thinking, "how can I put all 5 of us in a value resort to stay in our budget?" Voila--"Let me invite my parents!" (Our trip was very last minute so we had a very stiff budget to follow. The flier was in my May bill and we left June 19th for 7 nights). My parents came also so we stayed at POP, put one child in their adjoining room with us and only had to pay for the room, tickets and quick service meals for the adults!!! Woohoo!!! (When I get to thinking, it is very dangerous for us too!!) We had a FABULOUS time.
Then in October, a friend that I work with had a 2 bedroom room booked at Bay Lake Towers for the week of Thanksgiving. Her brother and his family decided that they could not go, so she invited me and my family !! I just could not pass that up either!! Another last minute trip!! So I started thinking again---remember this is dangerous for me too! I presented my plan to my DH and he said it was a GO!!!! I was beyond excited especially when I realized that we would see most of the Christams decorations. We had to buy tickets for all 5 of us this time, so we planned on eating many meals in the room and make full use of that full kitchen! We had an amazing, fabulous, wonderful time (did I use enough adjectives)!!!!!!!!

Now March of 2011 comes around and I was showing all of my Disney Christmas pics to my parents, and they said "I would love to go at Christmas some year." My response--"Really, how about THIS Christmas? It can be a present for all of the grandkids. My Dsis and I can buy all of the "extras" that go along with a Disney trip as Christmas presents also." Their response was "why not, we never know what to buy them anyway". We are going again!!! This time it was booked for Dec. 21st to Dec. 28th for my family, my parents and my sister and her family. A grand gathering Christmas. We are all soooo excited and since it is a present, the kids do not know anything about the trip.
August of 2011 comes around and Disney announced free dining--I got to thinking again (uh-oh) . I looked at the dates of free dining and our dates-we missed it by 4 days. But hold up, if we take the kids out of school on the Monday and the half day on Tuesday, we can leave on the 17th, check in and have free dining for our entire stay---or could we. I plugged in dates on the website, called Disney to verify that my findings were correct and I called my parents screaming with excitement. I discovered that we can extend our stay to 11 nights, have free dining and save $600 per family!!!! So we rebooked and now we are staying for 11 nights, 10 days in the parks and free quick service dining for our entire stay!!

My “thinking” has really paid off for my family and I can’t wait to see how it will for yours too! I really think it is a good trait sometimes .

PS. I was just reading your tickers--our Christams trip is also my 40th B-day trip--Dec. 30th!!!!! and my family is really enjoying that little tidbit!
It sounds like you have some of the same "thinking skills" as me They do come in handy don't they! I am jealous of your upcoming Christmas trip! 11 nights would be awesome! I keep saying one of these summers I'm going for 2 weeks, but so far it hasn't happened. Where are you staying in December?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn46356 View Post
Sounds like a great start to a trip! I'm addicted to Disney too. I've got a Moms Only Trip planned for Jan/Feb and I'm working on a June family trip in my brain. Disney planning is sooooo addicting. I'm especially interested in your trip because school ends for our youngest DS(13) on June 8th supposedly but you have to factor in snow days. Ugh. I'm not sure when to book our vacation but it will probably start Sunday June 17th. Looking forward to your June trip report!!!!!!
I work on trips in my brain all of the time too! Sometimes those trips actually happen (like this past June!) I know that worry about trying to figure out when to start the vacation in June, but not knowing when school will actually end! Go as early as you can though. June gets more and more crowded the later it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
How awesome is that! A surprise trip to Disney!!!!

Amanda
Hello old friend! I'm happy to have you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Joining in! I'm so excited to hear about your last minute trip! Glad you were able to get some great ADR's despite only having a month to plan. Can't wait for more.....
Hi Angie! So excited you found me! I love having old trip report friends stop by I noticed you have a ticker! Tell me all about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMW View Post
subscribing
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #18
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiloveswdw View Post
Hi! I've always followed your TRs but just started posting this year WOW your plans make my head spin! That's AWESOME that you could figure all of that out and that it all fit! OKW looks so amazing...and I've heard great things about Olivia's! I'll be here reading along!
I'm glad you made it out of lurkdom! It is pretty amazing the trip came together in such a short amount of time! Of course I'm always planning trips in my head so that helps out when I plan them for real life too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookTrout View Post
It seems like luck was on your side and your eagle eye and excellent planning skills saved the day.....and the budget, too. This sounds like a fun trip without any of the excessive planning (that would be my borderline obsessive planning mode, ahem) that can make you feel like a rat in a maze sometimes. I can't wait to read more.
Sharon
Since we've visited so much lately it was easier to kind of let go of the details and just let the trip happen. There weren't any must dos. All of us knew this was just a bonus trip so everyone was pretty laid back. It made for a good trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
Can't wait to hear all about your trip. I love your reports.
Hi! It's nice to have some old readers back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Looking forward to see pics of OKW and Bonnet Creek. I am staying at OKW in December and it will be my first stay there. Can't beat the points for a studio. Really looking forward to it.

Ah - yes - the dining dilemma. I am going through that now. I want to do two days of the DXDP and I am considering a third. What to do?
I hear you on those point costs at OKW! They can't be beat (except maybe by BWV standard views.) I love OKW. It has such a relaxed vibe. I love the Epcot resorts because of the walk into World Showcase, but I think I like the atmosphere of OKW best. It just feels like you are in Florida! I don't know if its a good or bad thing that DVC has given us this Dining plan flexibility. Too many choices!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
Subscribing and off to check out some of your other reports.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
emmakatbaby
Proudmomof3

The resort choice was a huge decision as we are not DVC members......yet . We are going as a grand gathering so we had to find a place that everyone could afford . I did alot of "thinking" and figuring of Disney Math and it seemed like our best deal was a value resort. We are staying at Pop!! My husband loves my family but really likes his "privacy" also and loves that fact that he can close the door and we have our own room and bathroom . Since we are saving money by not staying in a moderate or deluxe- we are giving Christmas presents such as BBB, Pirates League, the Pirates Cruise, Pick a Pearl, the Sleigh Ride, Characters in Flight, and Horseback Riding at Fort Wilderness. We have free quick service dining, but we also made reservations at Chef Mickey's for Breakfast for our last meal before we leave and at Liberty Tree Tavern for Christmas Day for lunch. My mom, sister and I also have the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package booked for Le Cellulier! I am super excited about that! We also booked the Harmony Barber Shop for my dad. We have gone to Disney for years (my 13th trip) and he has always said he wanted to get his haircut there. So I am giving him that as a Christmas present. I have also booked the "Behind the Seeds Tour" for my parents as a present. So as you can see, we are having a true Disney Christmas. Santa will also bring a couple of toys for my younger kids and I can't wait see what they will be!! Their stockings will also have gift cards from "Disney" so they can buy a couple of souveniers from this trip because I know they will see things they just have to have !

A family who LOVES everything Disney
DH Me DS 16 DS 12 DD 9
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #20
chattadisser
Mouseketeer

Woo-Hoo! Another trip report! I have lurked on your previous trip reports and LOVE them! I kept tell myself that I needed to come out of lurkdom. Your report from the 1/2 marathon and the marathon inspired me and I am going to run the Princess 1/2 in February. Can't wait! I've keep telling myself that I have to make sure that I leave enough time during the race to stop for character pictures.

Can't wait to read about the trip!

Christine
Old 08-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #21
dismagiclover

Quote:
The resort choice was a huge decision as we are not DVC members......yet . We are going as a grand gathering so we had to find a place that everyone could afford . I did alot of "thinking" and figuring of Disney Math and it seemed like our best deal was a value resort. We are staying at Pop!! My husband loves my family but really likes his "privacy" also and loves that fact that he can close the door and we have our own room and bathroom . Since we are saving money by not staying in a moderate or deluxe- we are giving Christmas presents such as BBB, Pirates League, the Pirates Cruise, Pick a Pearl, the Sleigh Ride, Characters in Flight, and Horseback Riding at Fort Wilderness. We have free quick service dining, but we also made reservations at Chef Mickey's for Breakfast for our last meal before we leave and at Liberty Tree Tavern for Christmas Day for lunch. My mom, sister and I also have the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package booked for Le Cellulier! I am super excited about that! We also booked the Harmony Barber Shop for my dad. We have gone to Disney for years (my 13th trip) and he has always said he wanted to get his haircut there. So I am giving him that as a Christmas present. I have also booked the "Behind the Seeds Tour" for my parents as a present. So as you can see, we are having a true Disney Christmas. Santa will also bring a couple of toys for my younger kids and I can't wait see what they will be!! Their stockings will also have gift cards from "Disney" so they can buy a couple of souveniers from this trip because I know they will see things they just have to have !
That sounds like such an incredible trip! We've never stayed at the values because of the 5 people thing, but they look fun! You will have a great time! And all of those extras will be perfect for Christmas time. Do you think you'll do a trip report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattadisser View Post
Woo-Hoo! Another trip report! I have lurked on your previous trip reports and LOVE them! I kept tell myself that I needed to come out of lurkdom. Your report from the 1/2 marathon and the marathon inspired me and I am going to run the Princess 1/2 in February. Can't wait! I've keep telling myself that I have to make sure that I leave enough time during the race to stop for character pictures.

Can't wait to read about the trip!

Christine
I'm so glad you came out of lurkdom! And for the princess in February! That looks like such a fun race. And yes definitely factor into your plans enought time for a few pictures. That is what make the Disney races so much fun! This trip wasn't near as exciting as the marathon trip, so I hope the report doesn't get too boring.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #22
dismagiclover

Travel Day

This day began bright and early. We actually had things to do before we headed South. First up was a 10K race for me. I’m running the Disney half marathon in January and I needed to get a time I could submit so that I wasn’t in the last corral. My neighbor was running the race with me so we headed out at 7:15 for the 8:00 start time. (Gotta love that we don’t have to wait around for hours for the local races.) We picked up our bibs and made it to the start in plenty of time. Here is a picture of the start.

Here is a picture of where I was at the start. I lined up at the back.

The race was hot, but my time was good enough to submit to Disney so I was happy. Best thing about this race was who was waiting at the end.

My other addiction is Chick Fil A. So I have to say the next best thing to Mickey Mouse greeting me at the finish line was the Chick Fil A cow. Plus they had chicken biscuits for the runners. So we headed back home; I took a shower and then we headed out for Michael’s last t-ball game. DH is the coach so we figured we shouldn’t miss it. Here are a few photos.

After the game we headed home. DH packed the car; the kids had lunch and we finally hit the road around 1:00. Nothing too eventful to report about the ride. My kids actually do really well in the car. A little whining now and then, but they do that when they are at home too. We made it all the way to South Carolina and checked into our hotel around 9:30. Tomorrow we’d be at Disney!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #23
ZFamily5
DIS Veteran

Wow! A half marathon the day you leave for Disney! I want to do a Disney half marathon, though I'm not sure if that will work out just yet because of school...

The pictures of Michael at his game are so cute! And that's great that the kids are so good in the car. One of my sisters tends to get car sick!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2750029

2013 Disneyland Paris PTR:
Pixie Dust in Paris!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post47067772

2013 Disneyland Paris TR:
"She Ate Human!"
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135334
Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #24
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
Hi Angie! So excited you found me! I love having old trip report friends stop by I noticed you have a ticker! Tell me all about it
Aww...thanks! I love reading your TR's....I wouldn't miss it! Yes, I finally have a ticker! It's been too long! We are planning to head back in April again for a week. We just love the F&G Festival..I'm sad that we missed it this year.

Anyway...back to your TR! Wow! I'm always running around trying to finish things on departure day and here you were running a 10K and going to a t-ball game as well. Glad the drive is going well so far and the kids are doing so good in the car. I'm not sure how my boys would do on such a long trip...although we have thought about it. It would definitely save us a ton on airfare. Maybe someday.....

Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #25
MEK
DIS Veteran

Wow - running a race on departure day. That's pretty impressive. Glad your time got you out of the last corral!!!!!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 08-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #26
lynn46356
DIS Veteran

Now that's a way to make the day go fast.................running a 10K and a t-ball game. I miss those t-ball games (our boys are grown or two out of three are) and we really enjoyed cheering our oldest when he ran x-country in high school! I'm also envious of runners (I'm old and out of shape). I can't talk the youngest into running anymore. He's trying 8th grade football now and he's already injured. Boys will be boys. I can't wait for the Disney portion of your trip to begin!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #27
schmass
Mouseketeer

Hi Jenny! I read your report from this past January and really enjoyed it! I'm glad to see that you are back with another report!

Way to go on the 10k on departure day - that is ambitious!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #28
emmakatbaby
Proudmomof3

Wow!! A 10K race on travel day! That is awesome. I do a lot of running on travel day too-grabbing this and that for suitcase, packing the ice chese, packing the car, last minute errands--but nothing like a 10K race !! I am thinking about doing a trip report this time as I am finished graduate school now . I just might have time to devote to the "fun" things in my life like my addiction to "Dis" .

A family who LOVES everything Disney
DH Me DS 16 DS 12 DD 9
Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #29
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFamily5 View Post
Wow! A half marathon the day you leave for Disney! I want to do a Disney half marathon, though I'm not sure if that will work out just yet because of school...

The pictures of Michael at his game are so cute! And that's great that the kids are so good in the car. One of my sisters tends to get car sick!
It wasn't actually a half marathon, only a 10K (which is 6.2 miles.) You should definitely try a Disney half sometime. They are so fun. The January one is on Saturday. So you could fly down Friday after school and fly back Sunday and you wouldn't even miss a day. I did that a couple of years ago. Actually Michael does get carsick. We've got it down to science these days though. He has a container with a lid so he just throws up in it, we put the lid on, and then dump it and clean it at our next stop. He is amazingly good natured about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Aww...thanks! I love reading your TR's....I wouldn't miss it! Yes, I finally have a ticker! It's been too long! We are planning to head back in April again for a week. We just love the F&G Festival..I'm sad that we missed it this year.

Anyway...back to your TR! Wow! I'm always running around trying to finish things on departure day and here you were running a 10K and going to a t-ball game as well. Glad the drive is going well so far and the kids are doing so good in the car. I'm not sure how my boys would do on such a long trip...although we have thought about it. It would definitely save us a ton on airfare. Maybe someday.....
So exciting you are going for F&G again! I definitely want to make it sometime, but it might have to wait until the kids are all grown up. Now that Wendy started middle school I don't see us pulling the kids out of school. Are you going to do a PTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Wow - running a race on departure day. That's pretty impressive. Glad your time got you out of the last corral!!!!!
I wouldn't have normally run a race on departure day, but the race was on the schedule before the trip was planned. We had to stay for the t-ball game so I figured I might as well run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn46356 View Post
Now that's a way to make the day go fast.................running a 10K and a t-ball game. I miss those t-ball games (our boys are grown or two out of three are) and we really enjoyed cheering our oldest when he ran x-country in high school! I'm also envious of runners (I'm old and out of shape). I can't talk the youngest into running anymore. He's trying 8th grade football now and he's already injured. Boys will be boys. I can't wait for the Disney portion of your trip to begin!!!!!!
This was our last year of t-ball. Next year Michael starts coach pitch. He is excited, but I'm dreading it a bit. I think the games end up way longer because the kids actually have to make outs. I'd love if my boys did x-country. I guess we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmass View Post
Hi Jenny! I read your report from this past January and really enjoyed it! I'm glad to see that you are back with another report!

Way to go on the 10k on departure day - that is ambitious!
I'm glad you made it over! Though this report won't be near as exciting as the last one.

Quote:
Wow!! A 10K race on travel day! That is awesome. I do a lot of running on travel day too-grabbing this and that for suitcase, packing the ice chese, packing the car, last minute errands--but nothing like a 10K race !! I am thinking about doing a trip report this time as I am finished graduate school now . I just might have time to devote to the "fun" things in my life like my addiction to "Dis" .
You should definitely do a report. It is always fun to relive the trip and all of the great DISers can help you.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #30
dismagiclover

Day 2: Dabbling in Star Wars Weekend

We were on the road bright and early headed to my favorite place. We made decent time and by 3:30 we were here.

That is the tram from the parking lot at Hollywood Studios. It was the last day of Star Wars Weekend. June 2009 we had an absolute incredible time at Star Wars weekend and we knew we wouldn’t be able to top that, but we still thought it would be fun to pop in for a few hours before we headed to the hotel. Here are the rest of us on the tram.

Can you tell John is a bit excited? I just love walking up to the DHS turnstiles during Star Wars weekend. The Star Wars theme song was playing and it feels like fun times ahead. I couldn’t resist a couple of pictures of the Star Wars posters.

First thing we see is of course the hat.

Next thing we see is a Photopass photographer. Initially I thought we would have to skip the photo pass this trip. (Remember my strict budget.) Luckily I decided to look into a photo pass share which worked out great. All of my pictures only ended up costing $20! Good news for me and good news for my trip report. Anyway, of course I insisted we stopped for the photo pass guy. Here is what he took.

He told the kids to do Jedi moves.

Now we had to figure out what to do. The plan was to meet some Star Wars characters. So we wandered over to find some. We spotted some.

The boys decided the lines were too long. This became the running theme of the afternoon. In fact we walked through pretty much the whole park and looked at the Star Wars characters, but didn’t meet any of them. I even asked the boys if they wanted pictures of anyone and they said, “No. We have pictures of them from last time.” I think they may be getting a bit jaded. So since I don’t have many pictures of the Star Wars characters from this trip, I’ll show you a few favorites from our 2009 trip.

After wandering around looking at characters for a while I saw one I wanted to meet. It was Queen Amidala. My boys would not be meeting any girls this trip so Wendy and I hopped in line. DH took the boys over to Star Wars store where they amazingly all came out empty handed. (This budget thing was really working.) Anyway here are the shots of Amidala with Wendy and I.

She was a great character. She talked in that completely expressionless way. No way she was going to crack a smile. She did like Wendy’s manicure though.

By this point everyone was a bit hungry. The boys wanted pizza, but I didn’t feel like going anywhere near Pizza Planet. That place is just too crazy. Luckily I’d done my research before the trip and discovered there was a place called Catalina Eddies over by the Beauty and the Beast theater that served pizza. So we headed over there for dinner. It was the typical Disney pizza, but without the lines of Pizza planet. This is the only picture I have of the meal.

So we hadn’t even been in the park two hours, but it was hot and the consensus was we’d rather be in the pool.

Next up: We check in at Hilton Bonnet Creek

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: