Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Signature Restaraunt Help

Ok so I am trying to plan where we are going to eat on our trip. We will be on the DxDP. We will be staying for 19 days, and we wanted to do at least 4 Signature restaraunts. I have looked over all the menus and they all look good. I would like your feedback!!! I want to know, which one has the best atmosphere, best Appitizer/Entree and best dessert!! Thanks

This is for 2 adults no kiddies

Last edited by jesswindsor; 08-19-2011 at 07:12 PM.
jesswindsor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Who is in your party? For me, that makes a difference.

My order of preference on the signatues is Flying Fish, Citricos, Jiko, Ca Grill, Brown Derby, Yachtsman, Artist Point and last is Narcoosees.

Citricos, Jiko and Artist Point are much quieter restaurants. Citricos, especially, offers nothing in the way of atmosphere that would interest a young child. Ca Grill and Narcoosees offer the best atmosphere for young diners because of the views.

I'm not a big eater and rarely do dessert so favorite dishes in all of these categories would be tough. At Flying Fish, I like the cheese plate. At Jiko, the soups are the stars IMO. At Citricos, I like the short ribs. Ca Grill is all about the sushi for me. Brown Derby has a nice fish entree. Yachtsman has great onion bread. My favorite thing at Artist Point is the berry cobbler. At Narcooses, I usually get the seasonal fish.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your response, It is just going to be 2 adults, I have been looking into Ca Grill, I worry about the Susi, I have never eaten it before. I am willing to try anything and I was thinking that Ca Grill will probably be the best first Susi for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

My opinion
Do ALL the signatures! You have 19 days on DxDP!!! Chances are, you will not want 3 meals most days, as the servings are huge. Plus, don't forget about the snack credits. I vote for 2 meals a day...one 1 credit and one signature. Then, you can hit them all (twice!!!)! How awesome! Have fun.
heatherandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Redwitch
DIS Veteran

I like Flying Fish, Jiko, Cali Grill and Yachtsman. Artist Point, Narcoosee and Citrico have been sometimes good, sometimes underwhelming. Brown Derby is good, but a little undeserving of the signature rating in my opinion, although I love the cobb salad and always enjoy my meals. As for favorites, I tend to choose different items each time I dine ~ variety is the spice of life.

RedWitch Mikka (DD) Ebony RIP Amber Khan Tora Raion

Redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Hootch
DIS Veteran

I grew up

in the Midwest. It was pig, pig, chicken, pig, etc. I was always worried about sushi because some people are fanatical about the rules of eating sushi. CG is a good place to start.

My personal favorites are Jiko, Flying Fish, Artist Point and Citricos. As always these are personal preferences. Artist Point is possibly my favorite because 1) I like bison and it's not available around my area very often and 2) I like the Western national park architecture that the whole Wilderness Lodge is based on.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

California Grill is my absolute favorite. I don't personally care for sushi but others I have dined with there say it's really good. The view from the restaurant is amazing and it is nice to watch the fireworks from the restaurant. My second favorite is Narccoosses. I love the location, ambiance and the food.

As with all recommendations you will get varying opinions. I would look at the menus of the restaurants that make the top of your list.
Jungle Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
ls3015
Mouseketeer

Yachtsman and Artist Point and shulus, are my must do's, I just don't fill no others are worth the extra costs.
ls3015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Thank you to everyone!!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

My rankings of the Signatures on the DP:

1. Citricos
2. Tie between Flying Fish and Jiko
4. Cali Grill
5. Tie between Brown Derby and Artist Point
and way down at the bottom.....Narcoossee's
(I haven't been to Yachtsman Steakhouse).

Citricos and Artist Point have the most romantic, quiet, and relaxing ambiances.

Jiko is fairly low-key as well.

Cali Grill is loud, boisterous and has the most kids of any signature.

I think the best appetizers award goes to Jiko. I've had some amazing soup, the breads and dips basket is wonderful, and the red meat app dishes I've tried there were outstanding.

Best entrees I'd say Citricos (the fish dishes!), Flying Fish, or Cali grill.

Best desserts award goes to Flying Fish and Citricos.

If you only want to eat at four, I would recommend Citricos, Jiko, Flying Fish, and Cali Grill.
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran

If you are childless and when you go not important-I'd push back the trip and go during the Food & Wine festival in Epcot(Oct-early Nov), go shorter time and ditch the Dining plan. You can easily eat 3-4 nights at the Festival and eat magnificent Gourmet food
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've only been to 2 signature restaurants so far (Artist Point and Yachtsman Steakhouse) and both of those were amazing . We have ADRs for Narccoossee's and Citricos this December and are looking forward to trying those .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesswindsor View Post
Ok so I am trying to plan where we are going to eat on our trip. We will be on the DxDP. We will be staying for 19 days, and we wanted to do at least 4 Signature restaraunts. I have looked over all the menus and they all look good. I would like your feedback!!! I want to know, which one has the best atmosphere, best Appitizer/Entree and best dessert!! Thanks

This is for 2 adults no kiddies
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
My opinion
Do ALL the signatures! You have 19 days on DxDP!!! Chances are, you will not want 3 meals most days, as the servings are huge. Plus, don't forget about the snack credits. I vote for 2 meals a day...one 1 credit and one signature. Then, you can hit them all (twice!!!)! How awesome! Have fun.
OP, I agree with Heather's advise to try them all and only doing 2 meals a day on the days you dine at a Signature restaurant. I read Heather's full report prior to our last trip and in addition to being a very entertaining writer she took great photos and gave spot on excellent advise.

"Hi, Heather. Enjoy your anniversary trip back to WDW!"

Back to OP, our favorite Signature restaurants in order would be:
1. Flying Fish - for atmosphere, location on the Boardwalk, appetizers (Jonah Crab Cake for me and the cheese plate for DH) and their signature potato wrapped snapper entree (me) or steak (DH). Right now I don't remember our desserts.
2. Artist Point - really ties for first place - quiet atmosphere in lovely WL, appetizer (smoky portebello soup, the best soup I've ever tasted in my life), cedar planked salmon or bison for entree and the berry cobbler ala mode for dessert.
3. Jiko - We stayed at the AKL so we were able to book the Sunset Safari which concluded with dinner at Jiko. So we had 3 selections from each part of the menu, along with wine pairings; what a delightful late afternoon/evening! My favorite appetizer was the chicken flat bread. My favorite entree was the fish with the beef filet a close second and the chicken was also fine. They all come with a nice vegetable side; different side for each entree selection. The trio of desserts we were served were nothing special but since I had noted on all of our dinner ADRs that we were celebrating our anniversary DH & I were presented with and additional dessert of strawberry gelato with fresh strawberries in a glass on a plate decorated with chocolate and berry piped hearts. We were the envy of the other 3 couples from the safari at our table.
4. Narcoosee's - beautiful location, fine food, great for watching wishes from the dock after dinner if you've timed it right. We just didn't love any dishes here as much as our top three favorite signatures.
5. Yachtsman - We've been here twice. Loved it the first time (2009), were terribly disappointed the second (and last) time (2010). Second time our filets were overcooked, the vegetables were terribly overcooked to the point of being inedible. The fine dessert could not make up for our general disappointment.

We've always loved Le Cellier in Epcot which is now a signature restaurant. Because of that I have made a lunch ADR at Le Cellier for our upcoming trip because lunch is still just 1 TS. We will be on just the DDP this next trip. I've got to have my fix of the beer cheese soup and pretzel bread. And their filets have sometimes been as good as in fine steak houses.

We've never been to Cali Grill, Citrico or the Brown Derby.
Kathy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

I think Artist Point is the best signature (I've been to all of them). The menu has some amazing dishes that are seasonal and often creative. My next choices would be Citricos and Yachtsman, then Jiko and Flying Fish.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Z View Post
OP, I agree with Heather's advise to try them all and only doing 2 meals a day on the days you dine at a Signature restaurant. I read Heather's full report prior to our last trip and in addition to being a very entertaining writer she took great photos and gave spot on excellent advise.

"Hi, Heather. Enjoy your anniversary trip back to WDW!"
Gosh, you're so sweet! Thanks for the well wishes for our trip. In one week we will be there and will be getting ready to eat at Jiko! I just can hardly wait!
heatherandnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: