Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
disneymadness
Earning My Ears

Online Check in to Disney Resort

Im travelling to Disneyworld Florida with my wife in December and have booked our stay in a Disney Resort through the UK Disney website.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to check in online (which I have read lots about) as I dont seem to have that option when I go to the "My Reservations" section on the UK Disney site. http://wdtc.disneyinternational.com/...p?Booking=True

Any help greatly appreciated.
disneymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymadness View Post
Im travelling to Disneyworld Florida with my wife in December and have booked our stay in a Disney Resort through the UK Disney website.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to check in online (which I have read lots about) as I dont seem to have that option when I go to the "My Reservations" section on the UK Disney site. http://wdtc.disneyinternational.com/...p?Booking=True

Any help greatly appreciated.
It is too early; the earliest you can check in online is ten days before check-in; until then you will not be able to see the prompt to do so.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
disneymadness
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
It is too early; the earliest you can check in online is ten days before check-in; until then you will not be able to see the prompt to do so.
Thank you very much. The confusion began when we were given two different reference codes for our two different Disney Resort reservations and I was flittering between a not recognised message, and just a non option of checking in online.

Thats a great help. I will go back on that link 10 days before we fly.

Out of interest do you know if you can request a room location with the online check in? I have booked a water view room, but I need a block in Coronado Springs close to the food court due to my walking disability. Last time we stayed there we were put into Casitas end block but did not use online check in (wasnt available). We had to wait for an hour atthe check in desk when we got there for them to find us a room close to the main entrance and ammenities. The closest we could get was still a good 10 minutes walk though.

I know it is my own fault for staying in a spread out resort, but that is where my family will be staying and we needed to be in their resort.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Out of interest do you know if you can request a room location with the online check in? I have booked a water view room, but I need a block in Coronado Springs close to the food court due to my walking disability. Last time we stayed there we were put into Casitas end block but did not use online check in (wasnt available). We had to wait for an hour atthe check in desk when we got there for them to find us a room close to the main entrance and ammenities. The closest we could get was still a good 10 minutes walk though.

I know it is my own fault for staying in a spread out resort, but that is where my family will be staying and we needed to be in their resort.
You have to have your room requests attached to your room reservations; you cannot place requests at online check-in.

I should tell you that rooms closest to the main building are now a booking category of "preferred". You can request it, but if enough people already booked it for that week, you will be placed in another part of the resort in your booking category of waterview.

You need to book which location or view that is most important to you and request the other, knowing that it is only a request and cannot always be fulfilled if the resort is full.

If you are going on a week in December, where there is now free dining, expect the resort to be full.

I went the week after Thanksgiving last year, and they had extended free dining and the resorts were 98 percent full. Many people staying at values will use the opportunity to book at a moderate resort.

Good luck.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
disneymadness
Earning My Ears

Quote:
You have to have your room requests attached to your room reservations; you cannot place requests at online check-in.

I should tell you that rooms closest to the main building are now a booking category of "preferred". You can request it, but if enough people already booked it for that week, you will be placed in another part of the resort in your booking category of waterview.

You need to book which location or view that is most important to you and request the other, knowing that it is only a request and cannot always be fulfilled if the resort is full.

If you are going on a week in December, where there is now free dining, expect the resort to be full.

I went the week after Thanksgiving last year, and they had extended free dining and the resorts were 98 percent full. Many people staying at values will use the opportunity to book at a moderate resort.

Good luck.
There is no place to make a booking "request" on the UK site when booking my water view room at Coronado Springs.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
There is no place to make a booking "request" on the UK site when booking my water view room at Coronado Springs.
Go to the disney website and click on "contact us." It will take you to an e-mail address for guest relations.

Send in your request with your booking number, days of travel and your request. You will receive a confirmation e-mail back saying it has been added to your reservation.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
disneymadness
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Go to the disney website and click on "contact us." It will take you to an e-mail address for guest relations.

Send in your request with your booking number, days of travel and your request. You will receive a confirmation e-mail back saying it has been added to your reservation.
Superb. Done. Thank you.

I have received an email back saying just that already. Will checking in online prejudice this request or help it by getting in there early? Does it give you your room location after you have checked in online, or do you not find that out until you walk through the hotel doors?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Superb. Done. Thank you.

I have received an email back saying just that already. Will checking in online prejudice this request or help it by getting in there early? Does it give you your room location after you have checked in online, or do you not find that out until you walk through the hotel doors?
Online check-in has nothing to do with room assignments; it allows you to place a time of arrival, so they can try to have your room ready and you can place a credit card on file to have your packet ready (and possibly your room) upon arrival.

Your room is not known until it becomes available. If you take the room available at online check-in or regular check-in, you will know your room number right away. If not, you will receive a phone call or text when the next available room is available; they will tell you the room number over the phone.

Room assignments vary on several items; overbooking, how full the resort is for that particular week, refurbishments, and maintenance issues. It is not possible to know your room number until it is ready for occupancy.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
disneymadness
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=Missytara;42310607]Online check-in has nothing to do with room assignments; it allows you to place a time of arrival, so they can try to have your room ready and you can place a credit card on file to have your packet ready (and possibly your room) upon arrival.

Your room is not known until it becomes available. If you take the room available at online check-in or regular check-in, you will know your room number right away. If not, you will receive a phone call or text when the next available room is available; they will tell you the room number over the phone.

Room assignments vary on several items; overbooking, how full the resort is for that particular week, refurbishments, and maintenance issues. It is not possible to know your room number until it is ready for occupancy.[/QUOTE]

Which will be approx 2pm on the day of arrival. Seems to defeat the purpose of an online check in if you ask me.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Which will be approx 2pm on the day of arrival. Seems to defeat the purpose of an online check in if you ask me.
There are a couple of purposes/benefits to Disney's online check-in:

1) Your paperwork and key are prepared ahead of time, so no need to wait at the desk while that's done. You show ID, they hand you your packet, and you're on your way.

2) There's a separate line for online check-ins. Assuming it works as it should, that line should move more quickly, as guests are just picking up a packet and leaving.

It's purely a time saver. It doesn't affect your room assignment at all. Disney's room assignment system keeps things flexible until the guest is standing at the front desk, so even if there is a room assigned to you at the time you do online check-in (unlikely, at 10 days out), that assignment may well have changed by the time you actually arrive. That's why they don't give room numbers out ahead of time.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
disneymadness
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
There are a couple of purposes/benefits to Disney's online check-in:

1) Your paperwork and key are prepared ahead of time, so no need to wait at the desk while that's done. You show ID, they hand you your packet, and you're on your way.

2) There's a separate line for online check-ins. Assuming it works as it should, that line should move more quickly, as guests are just picking up a packet and leaving.

It's purely a time saver. It doesn't affect your room assignment at all. Disney's room assignment system keeps things flexible until the guest is standing at the front desk, so even if there is a room assigned to you at the time you do online check-in (unlikely, at 10 days out), that assignment may well have changed by the time you actually arrive. That's why they don't give room numbers out ahead of time.
Thanks

So if I have requested a room location, its been attached to my reservation (but only by request through email), I will have as much chance of getting said room through online check in as I will normal check in?

My thoughts were that if I did a normal check in, and I didnt like my room assignement, I could face to face ask to be moved. I presume this wouldnt be possible at the online check in desk? Any thoughts?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Thanks

So if I have requested a room location, its been attached to my reservation (but only by request through email), I will have as much chance of getting said room through online check in as I will normal check in?

My thoughts were that if I did a normal check in, and I didnt like my room assignement, I could face to face ask to be moved. I presume this wouldnt be possible at the online check in desk? Any thoughts?
You are able to do it at either desk. However, IMHO, it defeats the purpose of having your package ready at check-in and a room available at check-in and not like the location they gave you.

I feel that if you have requests and they are important to you, then wait and do the regular check-in. I always arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving and I would rather wait for the area I requested than the first available room, since it is a very busy check-out day.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
disneymadness
Earning My Ears

Quote:
You are able to do it at either desk. However, IMHO, it defeats the purpose of having your package ready at check-in and a room available at check-in and not like the location they gave you.

I feel that if you have requests and they are important to you, then wait and do the regular check-in. I always arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving and I would rather wait for the area I requested than the first available room, since it is a very busy check-out day.
Your last paragraph there helped enormously.

I do feel it defeats the whole purpose anyway if online check in means you still have to queue, and there is a chance your room request will be ignored for the sake of the first available room which is vacated and cleaned. You should ideally be assigned your room through online check in based on your request (assuming 50 other people have not made the same request), and then given a time when this room will be ready. The computer will tell staff which rooms will be available and vacated on that day well in advance so, not being assigned a room until you get there, doesnt really make much sense. Its like no being able to chose your seat on an airplane. The computer tells you which seats have and have not already been assigned, and the disney computers will know this way in advance as they have peoples check in/out dates (previous occupants before we arrive) at least a week in advance.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #14
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Your last paragraph there helped enormously.

I do feel it defeats the whole purpose anyway if online check in means you still have to queue, and there is a chance your room request will be ignored for the sake of the first available room which is vacated and cleaned. You should ideally be assigned your room through online check in based on your request (assuming 50 other people have not made the same request), and then given a time when this room will be ready. The computer will tell staff which rooms will be available and vacated on that day well in advance so, not being assigned a room until you get there, doesnt really make much sense. Its like no being able to chose your seat on an airplane. The computer tells you which seats have and have not already been assigned, and the disney computers will know this way in advance as they have peoples check in/out dates (previous occupants before we arrive) at least a week in advance.
There is no way of knowing rooms will be available well in advance for the following reasons:

1. Over booking in another resort and the need for rooms.
2. Maintenance issue in a room; these occur daily.
3. Family deciding to add an extra day onto their ressie; or family having to leave mid-week due to emergency.
4. Family not vacating the room in time for check-out or asking for a late check-out at the last minute.
5. Groups booked in the resort and not knowing the full extent of their reservations; how many will be booking rooms in that particular resort or category.

The hotel/resort business is very fluid; there is no way of knowing exactly when a room is available until it is actually available.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #15
demaya12
Earning My Ears

I am traveling with another family, should I go ahead and do online check in or wait to check in with the other family? Would like to have rooms connecting or next door to each other. When we booked, we requested connecting or adjoining rooms. Very much aware that, it may or may not be fulfilled. Thanks
demaya12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, check in, check in online, disney, online

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: