Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
notnothin
A Pirate's Life For Me

RFID wristbands for resort guests

Just thought I would share an article being discussed on different sites this morning detailing enhancements made possible via RFID wristbands for resort guests. I, for one, look forward to the implementation of such a system.

http://dizfanatic.com/DizTech012.aspx

notnothin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnothin View Post
Just thought I would share an article being discussed on different sites this morning detailing enhancements made possible via RFID wristbands for resort guests. I, for one, look forward to the implementation of such a system.

http://dizfanatic.com/DizTech012.aspx
At first I thought this was the new get FP's at home/before you get to the park but it looks like a replacement for the KTTW cards that also adds Photopass.

They only say that the new FP system MAY be part of it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
notnothin
A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
At first I thought this was the new get FP's at home/before you get to the park but it looks like a replacement for the KTTW cards that also adds Photopass.
Yes, that plus the opportunity for unique interactions throughout the parks. This should make things quite interesting!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

IF implemented, what will this mean for FP runners? Will they have to collect everyone's wristband to go get FPs? Will that interrupt some of the other features?
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
IF implemented, what will this mean for FP runners? Will they have to collect everyone's wristband to go get FPs? Will that interrupt some of the other features?
Hmmm?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
notnothin
A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
I've seen that discussed a bit and it would appear that it may be a yes to both questions. Having the rest of the party's wristbands may prevent certain interactions while on the 'fastpass run'.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I have to say.. I dont like this at all.. So prices will go up even more.. It says WDW is doing heavy research to see how much guests are willing to pay for the extras.. I dont know about everyone else but my family isnt willing to pay anymore than we already are..

With the changes to DDP and the monorail and the rise of resort and tickets and parties..I mean I understand inflation but.. its a bit much for the lower middle class family to afford.. LOL
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
neoavatara
Mouseketeer

Bands

Bands make a lot of sense, actually. All the paper tickets is so 20th century.

As for costs...costs will always go up. That is the way of the world.

If done right, the bands could help a lot.
neoavatara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
I have to say.. I dont like this at all.. So prices will go up even more.. It says WDW is doing heavy research to see how much guests are willing to pay for the extras.. I dont know about everyone else but my family isnt willing to pay anymore than we already are..

With the changes to DDP and the monorail and the rise of resort and tickets and parties..I mean I understand inflation but.. its a bit much for the lower middle class family to afford.. LOL
I didn't read anywhere where Disney is making you buy the extras. The rise in the cost of a TS meal because of the DDP TS impacts me very little since we only eat one per trip.

As for the cost of the bands, RFID chips are pretty cheap and they won't have issues being "demagnetized".
Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
wdw_l0ver
Earning My Ears

I think this sounds awesome! I love the idea of more interactive activities like Kim Possible! I also like the idea of the wristband. It sounds like it will be easier to use and keep track of than the Key Card.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
ccudmore
DIS Veteran

Other than the FP runner issue, I like this a lot! I'm sure they have a bunch of lawyers specializing is Privacy issues at work on this too.
ccudmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

I am hoping that you can get the choice to get the regular plastic tickets or the new wristbands. I can't imagine a young child tolerating a giant RFID wristband very well in the heat and humidity. (I can't imagine many adults tolerating it either!)
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

I hope they aren't those wrist bands that are on permanently until you cut it off. I don't like the idea of having to wear a wrist band 24/7. I'm not sure I could sleep with one on. And if it isn't one of those that stay's on until you cut it off, how easy is it to get lost?

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
21hearts
I <3 Walt Disney World

It sounds pretty cool however there is no way my 3 year old would wear it all day. But I guess I could put it on his wrist to use for his ticket & then put it in a bag so he doesn't lose it.

Oh and what will they be made out of? There are people who are allergic to different materials. My dad for example is allergic to rubber. So if there's any rubber in it and it touches his arm he'll break out..

9/26 - MNSSHP with the BFF
10/10-10/11 - Celebrate my little sisters birthday

21hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
mrbghd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
For those willing to pay for it is great. For those who do now want to pay for it or cannot afford it, they will be able to get the same experience they always had. New technology and new experiences are a way to drive profits for a business.

mrbghd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: