Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
DawnM
Dawn
 
DawnM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 12,688

Summer Bay Resort Sinking

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...6pLid%3D356596

We have stayed here in the past, and liked it!
__________________
Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven
 
lynxstch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 4,187

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3156374
__________________
lynxstch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?
 
Feralpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 18,171

Sinkholes are a huge problem here. I recently received notification from my insurance company that sinkholes would no longer be covered without a separate rider that I need to purchase. In order to get the sinkhole coverage, an engineer has to come to my home and inspect it to make sure there is no sign of sinkhole activity.

Sinkholes can happen anywhere. One formed behind a home about a mile from my place last year. Scary.
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
DawnM
Dawn
 
DawnM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 12,688

WHAT?????????

Your insurance won't cover it?

Actually in CA, if you didn't have separate earthquake insurance they said they wouldn't cover it, but FEMA did step in anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
Sinkholes are a huge problem here. I recently received notification from my insurance company that sinkholes would no longer be covered without a separate rider that I need to purchase. In order to get the sinkhole coverage, an engineer has to come to my home and inspect it to make sure there is no sign of sinkhole activity.

Sinkholes can happen anywhere. One formed behind a home about a mile from my place last year. Scary.
__________________
Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?
 
Feralpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 18,171

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
WHAT?????????

Your insurance won't cover it?

Actually in CA, if you didn't have separate earthquake insurance they said they wouldn't cover it, but FEMA did step in anyway.
I pulled out the notice I received from my insurance company. They must cover catastrophic ground failure. In other words, if the sinkhole swallows your home, they must cover it. They will not, however, cover damage to a home or its contents unless the home is condemned. That is a new ruling and the reason for the rider policy.
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
DawnM
Dawn
 
DawnM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 12,688

You know, that must be why my friend's home isn't covered, or at least they have said it isn't.

She has lived there for 25 years and just two years ago they noticed huge cracks in the walls and the flooring. The man who came to inspect it says he thinks it was built on a debris field as theirs was the last one in the neighborhood built.

It will be over 50K to fix and they don't have it right now.

I feel horrible for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I pulled out the notice I received from my insurance company. They must cover catastrophic ground failure. In other words, if the sinkhole swallows your home, they must cover it. They will not, however, cover damage to a home or its contents unless the home is condemned. That is a new ruling and the reason for the rider policy.
__________________
Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload
 
TifffanyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL - an hourish from the mouse!
Posts: 7,548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I pulled out the notice I received from my insurance company. They must cover catastrophic ground failure. In other words, if the sinkhole swallows your home, they must cover it. They will not, however, cover damage to a home or its contents unless the home is condemned. That is a new ruling and the reason for the rider policy.
That is how it is here in Tampa too. I considered sinkhole insurance but even with it the deductible is 20%... of the home's value. So like $40k+. No thanks.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.